SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-27-09, 03:39 PM   #4996
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Don't go ringing the electrician when your water pipes burst

Pleased your sorted....eventually

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 06:20 AM   #4997
fireblade918gr
Watch

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Hi everybody.

I'm on my way from Kiel to patrol grid BF15 and have saved my game southeast of Southend, before I sail into the Strait of Dover. The date is August 20th, 1940.

I've read this entire thread and fully realize that with GWX installed, sailing though the Strait is a bad idea, as is attempting to shoot it out with Allied aircraft. I do want to get a taste of good action, though, and it is still early in the war so here are my thoughts which end with a question:

I'm chuggin' along on the surface (closer to France than England), it's daytime (morning) and my crew spotted a couple of "convoys" consisting of 9 Axis aircraft apiece heading towards England. It's the Battle of Britain! Since I've got friendlies above heading for an airborne attack, isn't it a ripe moment to stick around and engage the RAF?

Will British AI aircraft be busy in combat against the Luftwaffe above me so I can assist in the fight? In short, will RAF AI aircraft have to contend both with the Luftwaffe and me or will they ignore/not engage Luftwaffe AI aircraft and instead focus only on me?

If it's the former, it should be a very interesting fight If not, there won't be much point engaging for a few seconds, only to spend the rest of the day eluding a dedicated assault/hunt against my VIIC.
fireblade918gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 07:04 AM   #4998
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

You would be ill advised to tackle aircraft at any time, nevermind the fact your in shallow water

Old 12-29-09, 07:22 AM   #4999
fireblade918gr
Watch

Even when the Battle of Britain is raging overhead and Allied air coverage isn't yet extensive, hmm.

It does seem like the most opportune time during the war to make such an attempt, in other words to try and get in a few pot shots if Allied AI aircraft actually do engage incoming Bf-109s etc. Of course the Royal Navy will still hunt me down regardless.

Maybe I'll try it out today if I feel suicidal enough, just to see how it plays out

Thanx for the reply.

P.S. I imagine there's no point in giving flak and gunner qualifications, then, is there...
Old 12-29-09, 10:38 AM   #5000
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade918gr View Post

P.S. I imagine there's no point in giving flak and gunner qualifications, then, is there...
On the contrary...whilst I subscribe to the theory that air v sub is a one sided affair in the main, there will come the time when your caught on the surface and have no choice but to fight it out. Better to be as well prepared as possible

Old 12-29-09, 11:10 AM   #5001
fireblade918gr
Watch

Wise words.

I mentioned this because I was in any case wondering how to award further qualifications - seeing as how Petty Officers can only have one - but you are correct.

Thank you for your, as always, lightning fast replies
Old 12-29-09, 02:12 PM   #5002
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Wise words.

I mentioned this because I was in any case wondering how to award further qualifications - seeing as how Petty Officers can only have one - but you are correct.

Thank you for your, as always, lightning fast replies
Your welcome

Don't get me wrong, I do qualify a PO as a gunner and as a Flack/AA but only after the more important (IMHO) qualifications have been awarded.

Old 12-30-09, 08:51 AM   #5003
fireblade918gr
Watch

Right, right. I have 5 machinists, 3 torpedomen (+1 officer with torpedo, gunner, flak), 2 radiomen, 1 watchman, 1 repair, 1 medic, 1 flak. Since I rotate my crew and use fatigue, 5 machinists are enough and so are the torpedomen.

So, when you mentioned the sub vs aircraft issue using GWX, I initially thought, "there's only 2 POs left without a qualification, maybe I shouldn't make one a gunner." Since you pointed out that we ought to be prepared for the time we cannot evade, though, I'll go ahead and give a gunner qualification and I guess I'll see what I'll do with the last PO.

Always a pleasure, jimbuna, take care
Old 12-30-09, 04:17 PM   #5004
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Right, right. I have 5 machinists, 3 torpedomen (+1 officer with torpedo, gunner, flak), 2 radiomen, 1 watchman, 1 repair, 1 medic, 1 flak. Since I rotate my crew and use fatigue, 5 machinists are enough and so are the torpedomen.

So, when you mentioned the sub vs aircraft issue using GWX, I initially thought, "there's only 2 POs left without a qualification, maybe I shouldn't make one a gunner." Since you pointed out that we ought to be prepared for the time we cannot evade, though, I'll go ahead and give a gunner qualification and I guess I'll see what I'll do with the last PO.

Always a pleasure, jimbuna, take care
And you matey

Old 01-06-10, 03:51 PM   #5005
briklebritt
Bosun

Downloads: 145
Default Erkennungshandbuch GWX3 Gold and double ship typs with different data

I got same typ of ship two times in my "Erkennungshandbuch" with different data. Can u help?

It is after installing GWX3 Gold. I read thet there are new data with GWX. But how to identify the ship correct? pictures are the same and different data!?!

Please help.
briklebritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 04:19 PM   #5006
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by briklebritt View Post
I got same typ of ship two times in my "Erkennungshandbuch" with different data. Can u help?

It is after installing GWX3 Gold. I read thet there are new data with GWX. But how to identify the ship correct? pictures are the same and different data!?!

Please help.
I've just responded to your PM

Old 01-07-10, 08:35 AM   #5007
Schultz
Officer

Downloads: 16

I just instaled GWX 3.0 a month ago, and I'm playing with 3 friends online on 100% realism and even with no map contacts.
Best wishes for the GW team
Old 01-08-10, 03:29 AM   #5008
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by briklebritt View Post

Please help.
hello Briklebritt,

use the TMT mod

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 02:07 PM   #5009
Sandman_28054
Captain

Downloads: 270
Default Missing torpedos

Playing around, I noticed that torpedos in the IXC disappear when trying to reload the rear tubes with the external torpedos.

Question: IX-D2 Range and Torpedo Fix v1 will not fix this problem in GWX 3. Is there a fix for this?
Sandman_28054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 02:40 PM   #5010
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_28054 View Post
Playing around, I noticed that torpedos in the IXC disappear when trying to reload the rear tubes with the external torpedos.

Question: IX-D2 Range and Torpedo Fix v1 will not fix this problem in GWX 3. Is there a fix for this?
The above issue was fixed for GWX3.0. What mods are you using?