Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-28-14, 02:33 AM   #481
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 0
Default November 28

1291-Edward 1's wife, Eleanor of Castile, dies. Crosses are erected where her body rests on the way to London.

1660-The 12 founding members of the Royal Society meet for the first time at Gresham College in London.

1943-The 'Big Three' of Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin meet in Tehran to discuss the invasion of France.
Old 11-28-14, 08:14 AM   #482
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1990 - Margaret Thatcher resigns as Britain's PM, replaced by John Major

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-14, 03:50 AM   #483
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

1877-American inventor Thomas Edison demonstrates the principle of his phonograph or 'speaking machine'.

1919-American-born Lady Nancy Astor becomes the first woman member of parliament to take her seat.

1990-The UN approves the use of force for only the second time in its history, to drive Iraq out of Kuwait.
Old 11-29-14, 08:35 AM   #484
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1951 - 1st underground atomic explosion, Frenchman Flat, Nevada.

Old 11-29-14, 03:57 PM   #485
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 24

Default ID#2793346: A letter to a mom from her son's nurse

"November 29th, 1918
My dear Mrs. Hogan:
If I could talk to you I could tell you so much better about your son's last sickness, and all the little things that mean so much to a mother far away from her boy.
Your son was brought to this hospital on the 13th of November very sick with what they called Influenza. This soon developed into Pneumonia. He was brave and cheerful though, and made a good fight with the disease. Several days he seemed much better, and seemed to enjoy some fruit that I brought him. He did not want you to worry about his being sick, but I told him I thought we ought to let you know, and he said all right.
He became very weak towards the last of his sickness and slept all the time. One day while I was visiting some of the other patients he woke up and seeing me with my hat on asked the orderly if I was his sister come to see him. He was always good and patient and the nurses loved him. Everything was done to make him comfortable and I think he suffered very little, if any pain.
He laughed and talked to the people around him as long as he was able. They wanted to move him to another bed after he became real sick and moved the new bed up close to his, but he shook his head, that he didn't want to move. The orderly, a fine fellow, urged him. "Come on, Hogan," he said, "Move to this new bed. It's lots better than the one you're in." But Hogan shook his head still.
"No", he said, "No, I'll stay where I am. If that bed was better than mine, you'd 'a' had it long ago."
The last time I saw him I carried him a cup of hot soup, but he was too weak to do anything but taste it, and went back to sleep.
The Chaplain saw him several times and had just left him when he breathed his last on November 25th, at 2:30 in the afternoon.
He was laid to rest in the little cemetery of Commercy, and sleeps under a simple white wooden cross among his comrades who, like him, have died for their country. His grave number is 22, plot 1. His aluminum identification tag is on the cross, and a similar one is around his neck, both bearing his serial number, 2793346.
The plot of the grave in the cemetery where your son is buried was given to the Army for our boys and the people of Commercy will always tend it with loving hands and keep it fresh and clean. I enclose here a few leaves from the grass that grows near in a pretty meadow.
A big hill overshadows the place and the sun was setting behind it just as the Chaplain said the last prayer over your boy.
He prayed that the people at home might have great strength now for the battle that is before them, and we do ask that for you now.
The country will always honor your boy, because he gave his life for it, and it will also love and honor you for the gift of your boy, but be assured, that the sacrifice is not in vain, and the world is better today for it.
From the whole hospital force, accept deepest sympathy and from myself, tenderest love in your hour of sorrow.
Sincerely,
Maude B. Fisher" ....Who wrote this letter to the soldier's mother...not just another number it seems.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-14, 08:16 AM   #486
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1872 - First international soccer game, Scotland-England 0-0 (Glasgow).

Old 12-01-14, 11:37 PM   #487
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default the biggest little shootout in Frisco!

1884: Elfego Baca, legendary defender of southwestern Hispanos, manages to hold off a gang of 80 cowboys who are determined to kill him. For months, a vicious band of Texan cowboys had terrorized the Hispanos of Frisco, N.M., brutally castrating one young Mexican man and using another for target practice. Outraged, Baca gained a commission as deputy sheriff to try to end the terror. The morning after an arrest of a cowboy named McCartey, a group of about 80 cowboys rode into town to free the cowboy and make an example of Baca for all Mexicans. Baca gathered the women and children of the town in a church for their safety and prepared to make a stand. Seeing himself outnumbered, Baca retreated to an adobe house-with a floor 1.5 feet below street level which proved beneficial in the fusillade unleashed harmlessly overhead by the cowboys.... where he killed at least one attacker and wounded several others. The irate cowboys blazed away at Baca's tiny hideout, firing about 400 rounds into the flimsy structure. During the daylong siege, according to legend, Baca shot and killed four of his attackers and wounded eight others. The cowboys assumed they had killed the deputy; The next morning however, two lawmen and several of Baca's friends, came to his aid, and the cowboys retreated. Baca turned himself over to the officers, and he was charged with the murder of one cowboy. When at last Officer James Cook and the newly arrived Deputy Ross of Socorro convinced Baca to come out, personally guaranteeing his safety, some of the Hispanic spectators yelled for him to run. With guns in hand and every cowboy rifle trained on his chest, Baca slowly approached to make his truce. Yes, he would surrender... but only if he could keep his weapons, travel in the back of a buckboard with his and McCartey’s Colts, and with all accompanying cowhands keeping at least thirty feet behind them for the entire trip to the Socorro courthouse! The ever-blessed Baca even missed an ambush planned for him enroute, when two different groups of avengers each mistakenly thought the other had carried out the mercenary deed. In jail only four months, Baca was tried on two separate occasions, and was surprisingly acquitted each time. In his trials in Albuquerque, the jury found Baca not guilty because he had acted in self-defense, and he was released. Hugely popular, Baca later enjoyed a successful career as a lawyer, private detective, and politician in Albuquerque. His immortality became permanent in 1958 with Walt Disney's 10-part miniseries: the Nine Lives of Elfego Baca... starring Robert Loggia. Move over OK Corral! http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-elfegobaca2.html

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 12-02-14, 07:19 AM   #488
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1964 - Ringo Starr's tonsils are removed.

Old 12-02-14, 10:49 AM   #489
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcustody View Post
First time visit on your forum but not a feel fresher. Thanks for sharing any topics forum.
Welcome to SubSim

I'll take that welcome back.

Last edited by Jimbuna; 12-04-14 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-03-14, 06:07 AM   #490
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1967 - 1st human heart transplant performed (Dr Christian Barnard, South Africa).

Old 12-03-14, 11:20 AM   #491
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcustody View Post
First time visit on your forum but not a feel fresher. Thanks for sharing any topics forum.
Welcome to... wait--spammer!
Old 12-04-14, 07:42 AM   #492
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1619 - 38 colonists from Berkeley Parish in England disembark in Virginia and give thanks to God. Considered by many as the first Thanksgiving in the Americas.

Old 12-04-14, 01:11 PM   #493
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

1952: Heavy smog begins to hover over London, England. It persists for four days, leading to the deaths of at least 4,000 people. a high-pressure air mass stalled over the Thames River Valley. When cold air arrived suddenly from the west; the air over London became trapped in place. Low temperatures, which caused residents to burn extra coal in their furnaces. The smoke, soot and sulfur dioxide from the area's industries along with that from cars and consumer energy usage caused extraordinarily heavy smog to smother the city. By the morning of December 5, there was a visible pall cast over hundreds of square miles.
The smog became so thick and dense that by December 7 there was virtually no sunlight and visibility was reduced to five yards in many places. An unusually high number of people in the area, numbering in the thousands, died in their sleep that weekend. Between December 4 and December 8 saw such a marked increase in death in the London metropolitan area that conservative estimates place the death toll at 4,000, with some estimating that the smog killed as many as 8,000 people.

Old 12-05-14, 01:38 AM   #494
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Default 5 December

1812-Napoleon abandons his army on its disastrous retreat from Moscow giving command to Marshal Murat.
Old 12-05-14, 07:02 AM   #495
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1840 - Napoleon Bonaparte receives a French state funeral in Paris 19 years after his death.