SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-31-10, 05:50 AM   #4801
ustahl
Watch Officer

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 0
Keyboard layout discrepancies

Maybe this has been covered before, don't know, but this is what's bugging me:

For a lengthy time I've been using a modded keyboard layout, adjusted commands.cfg, keyboard_binds.dds and keyboard_binds_shift.dds (for F1 help) myself to my liking. This worked great until I started using TDW's UI mod. This mod seems to somehow overrule part of the settings in commands.cfg. Even when I apply the keyboard mod after TDW's UI mod I don't get my "private" keyboard settings back, at least part of them.
It seems TDW has set some keyboard settings in some .py file(s) that will not be overruled by a later installed commands.cfg. This results in discrepancy between F1 help displays and actual keyboard functions.

Is it feasable for a user to edit the appropriate .py file(s) to adjust to one's private preference/commands.cfg? If yes, where in in the .py's are the settings?
If this is not wise, where can I find all the keyboard settings fixed in TDW's UI mod, so I can adopt them into my F1 help files (and command.cfg) to work consistently?
Old 10-31-10, 06:35 AM   #4802
SashaKA001
中国水兵

Downloads: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustahl View Post
Maybe this has been covered before, don't know, but this is what's bugging me:

For a lengthy time I've been using a modded keyboard layout, adjusted commands.cfg, keyboard_binds.dds and keyboard_binds_shift.dds (for F1 help) myself to my liking. This worked great until I started using TDW's UI mod. This mod seems to somehow overrule part of the settings in commands.cfg. Even when I apply the keyboard mod after TDW's UI mod I don't get my "private" keyboard settings back, at least part of them.
It seems TDW has set some keyboard settings in some .py file(s) that will not be overruled by a later installed commands.cfg. This results in discrepancy between F1 help displays and actual keyboard functions.

Is it feasable for a user to edit the appropriate .py file(s) to adjust to one's private preference/commands.cfg? If yes, where in in the .py's are the settings?
If this is not wise, where can I find all the keyboard settings fixed in TDW's UI mod, so I can adopt them into my F1 help files (and command.cfg) to work consistently?
You can change the file TheDarkWraithUserOptions.py can open notepad, look for the word Keys and change the letters

example

# if you wanted to enable this without shift required:
# MostFuelEfficientSpeedHotKey = [ True, MenuKeyManagerWrapper.Keys.M, False ]
#
# if you wanted to disable this:
# MostFuelEfficientSpeedHotKey = [ False, MenuKeyManagerWrapper.Keys.M, False ]
#
# Note: Keys.M is used by the Navigation Map in the stock game! It was used only as example here. Also the hotkey will only be recognized if the sub is surfaced
#
change here
MostFuelEfficientSpeedHotKey = [ False, MenuKeyManagerWrapper.Keys.M, False ] # change the M to whatever you want. You can't use M!
SashaKA001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 07:57 AM   #4803
ustahl
Watch Officer

Sasha, thank you. Have to dig into that. Will use ConTEXT, which seems better suited for editing .py files than Notepad.
Hopefully all commands hitherto contained in commands.cfg are contained in ...Options.py, we'll see. Obviously editing ...Options.py + adjusting the F1 help files is the only way to make everything consistent. Commands.cfg plays 2nd fiddle in this context, right?
TDW's migration tool will be even more valuable in future.
Old 10-31-10, 08:48 AM   #4804
SashaKA001
中国水兵

Quote:
Commands.cfg plays 2nd fiddle in this context, right?
Yes, but Commands.cfg can also be set up under him, I do not look at this help, because I myself have set up Commands.cfg
Old 10-31-10, 10:44 AM   #4805
ustahl
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaKA001 View Post
Yes, but Commands.cfg can also be set up under him, I do not look at this help, because I myself have set up Commands.cfg
Hmm, I don't quite follow you here. I too have initially set up my Commands.cfg, and those graphical help files accordingly. Do you mean you know your commands so well you need not use those F1 help graphics?
With TDW's UI mod some of the old commands don't work any longer, like F5, F6, F7 for manning the deck & AA guns etc. Hopefully that can be fixed in ...Options.py.
Old 10-31-10, 11:07 AM   #4806
SashaKA001
中国水兵

Quote:
Hmm, I don't quite follow you here. I too have initially set up my Commands.cfg, and those graphical help files accordingly. Do you mean you know your commands so well you need not use those F1 help graphics?
With TDW's UI mod some of the old commands don't work any longer, like F5, F6, F7 for manning the deck & AA guns etc. Hopefully that can be fixed in ...Options.py.
I only need these commands: on pereskop depth. to surface, speed, target identification, fire. map. pereskop up and down, turning the rudders, weather, Chronometer, back to the courses, by the look, and yet what is the key and everything, and the 14 - 16 keys.

I know them by heart
Old 10-31-10, 11:10 AM   #4807
ustahl
Watch Officer

Quote:
I know them by heart
OK, that's what I thought.
Old 10-31-10, 03:55 PM   #4808
ustahl
Watch Officer

Default Keyboard Command Issues

TDW, thanks a million for this mod, I refuse to play without it.
There are, however, certain keyboard issues I would like solved or clarified.

With this mod enabled, is it possible to toggle Deck gun, Flak gun and crew management with function keys F5, F6 and F7 respectively? These earlier settings from Commands.cfg seem defunct now.

I took a look at TheDarkWraithUserOptions.py to make relevant changes there, but Line 18 says:

# F1-F11 functions keys are unavailable even though MenuKeyManagerWrapper says they are available. Do not try to use F1-F11.

This sort of stunned me. Acc. to that line keys F1-F11 are unusable. Nevertheless keys F1-F4 do work (help, boat, nav map, conning tower), and that's how it should be. But why not the rest? Consistency? I want to key toggle Deck gun, Flak gun etc. Are keys F5-F11 intentionally meant to be dead & useless? Or is there a way to make them available?

Are all other keys (except function keys) supposed to work exactly as set in Commands.cfg, like before?
I have a feeling that this UI mod somehow "overrules" some of the key commands set in Commands.cfg, even if the keyboard mod with Commands.cfg is added after this UI mod. It seems some commands are determined by Commands.cfg and other by the UI mod. Is there a rule?

I have touched this issue in some other postings, but haven't got to the bottom of it yet. TDW, can you pls shed some light on this?
Old 10-31-10, 05:16 PM   #4809
SashaKA001
中国水兵

Quote:
# F1-F11 functions keys are unavailable even though MenuKeyManagerWrapper says they are available. Do not try to use F1-F11.
You can find those buttons in Commands.cfg if they are registered there then it should work. if not then there is nothing to change these.

Quote:
[Cmd574]
Name=Ability_1
Contexts=1
Key0=0x74,,"F5"

[Cmd575]
Name=Ability_2
Contexts=1
Key0=0x75,,"F6"

[Cmd576]
Name=Ability_3
Contexts=1
Key0=0x76,,"F7"

[Cmd577]
Name=Ability_4
Contexts=1
Key0=0x77,,"F8"

[Cmd578]
Name=Ability_5
Contexts=1
Key0=0x78,,"F9"

[Cmd579]
Name=Ability_6
Contexts=1
Key0=0x79,,"F10"

[Cmd580]
Name=Ability_7
Contexts=1
Key0=0x7A,,"F11"

[Cmd581]
Name=Ability_8
Contexts=1
Key0=0x7B,,"F12"
Old 10-31-10, 05:43 PM   #4810
DavyJonesFootlocker
The Old Man

Downloads: 138

Hey TDW couldn't read all these posts but the patches how do you install. When I did it overwrites the original version 4.8.0 is this how it's supposed to be?
A proud member of the Wikipedia Haters Club
DavyJonesFootlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 05:48 PM   #4811
ustahl
Watch Officer

Quote:
You can find those buttons in Commands.cfg if they are registered there then it should work. if not then there is nothing to change these.
Sasha, thanks for trying to help.
Yes, I know those key commands are in Commands.cfg, my settings are exactly the same as the ones shown by you. But F5, F6, F7 etc don't work now. Before I installed TDW's UI mod they worked fine (toggle gun etc.), but with TDW's UI mod installed nothing happens.
Old 10-31-10, 05:56 PM   #4812
ustahl
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyJonesFootlocker View Post
Hey TDW couldn't read all these posts but the patches how do you install. When I did it overwrites the original version 4.8.0 is this how it's supposed to be?
I'm not TDW (wish I was), but yes, the patches overwrite some files of the original mod, one file being the ...Options.py file with all the personal settings. Thus one is well advised to migrate one's personal mod settings into ...Options.py contained in the patch (piece of cake with the migrating tool).
Old 11-01-10, 12:01 AM   #4813
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
TDW, thanks a million for this mod, I refuse to play without it.
There are, however, certain keyboard issues I would like solved or clarified.

With this mod enabled, is it possible to toggle Deck gun, Flak gun and crew management with function keys F5, F6 and F7 respectively? These earlier settings from Commands.cfg seem defunct now.

I took a look at TheDarkWraithUserOptions.py to make relevant changes there, but Line 18 says:

You cannot assign keys F1-F12 as hot keys in the user options file. Game will not recognize them as valid keys. That being said I do nothing with those keys. If they are not working then something else is wrong. All the game's default values for those function keys work fine for me (using v4.9.0 of the mod)
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 02:27 AM   #4814
quad5
Soundman

Downloads: 581

TheDarkWraith, You can make the panel as on a photo? Very much it would be desirable to see more elements of a real German u-boat.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
quad5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 06:28 AM   #4815
kuzovok
Nub

Downloads: 166

Yes, yes! It would be great!
kuzovok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dbrn, favorite, new ui