SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-09, 06:26 PM   #4786
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffysheap View Post
(it works too well in bad weather actually, it should be degraded some and it isn't).
In SH5 let us at the files and we will fix it.
Old 09-25-09, 01:03 AM   #4787
RainbowToh
Nub

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffysheap View Post
Hi,
I have the Thomson's Sound Pack and I am able to hear the engines on the bridge. I'm not sure if that's only because of Thomson's or if you just have some problem with your installation but you might try that. The sound pack is very nice anyway so even if it doesn't fix your problem it's great to have! I am sure it is not due to some other mod because for a long time, GWX and Thomson's Sound were the only mods I used. (Now I have added some others and things are even better).

As far as the hydrophone, it is true that the sonarman is quite deaf. Some things you can do to maybe improve it a little:
* Make sure that your sonarman and radioman both have the radio qualification and as much rank as possible. It is funny, but their effectiveness is based on the efficiency of the room as a whole, so even though they have separate jobs, the skill of one affects the skill of the other.
* Upgrade your hydrophones when you can, as the low-tech "GHG" hydrophones are not very good.
* Some contacts don't make very much noise and won't be easy to hear. Ships whose engines have stopped, and sailing ships, will not be detectable on the hydrophones.

However the main cause of the sonarman missing nearby contacts is just that he has not pointed the hydrophone at them yet. As you know if you man the station yourself, you can not hear a contact if the hydrophone is pointing the wrong way, no matter how close. Sometimes the sonarman doesn't report a contact just because his sweep has not reached the bearing yet. But, he will usually not find distant contacts, even when he sweeps right past them. But the sonarman will often be able to track a contact you have pointed out to him, which he could not find on his own. To do this, find the contact, select it with the checkbox and choose the type of ship, then give the order to follow the contact. This still will not work on very distant contacts, but it will work on medium-range ones. Most of the time this works out - if you are using the hydrophone to search for contacts, it is OK to do the searching yourself, whereas if you are in combat already, the sonarman can usually hear anyone who is close enough to be interesting. As an additional bonus to searching for contacts yourself, sometimes you will find whales, or dolphins. (Tracking down dolphins using the hydrophone is quite a good practice for hunting ships this way, as dolphins move very quickly and erratically, and as a bonus, you can see them through binoculars on the bridge and they are cute).

As far as using the hydrophone manually, and again assuming you have the Thomson sound pack, you must make sure your own sound environment in the real world is adequate. You must have a quiet room, or good headphones, or a very high volume. There is a faint ticking sound, which is the clock in the radio room. Like distant sonar contacts, it is quieter than the ambient ocean noise audible through the hydrophone. I find if I can hear the clock ticking, I can also hear any ship that the hydrophone is capable of finding. The advantage of the hydrophone in this case is that it can hear ships outside visual range and works equally well at night or in bad weather (it works too well in bad weather actually, it should be degraded some and it isn't).

Edit to add:
* Of course, hydrophones don't work on the surface.
* Hydrophones work best while you are stopped. The faster you go, the less effective they are. (It's actually based on engine speed, not motion through the water)
* Sometimes, turning quickly will cause your sonarman to lose track of a contact he is following.
* Supposedly depth matters, but this either isn't implemented or doesn't have a significant effect. I never noticed any difference.
Hmm I might try out Thomson's pack, sounds cool. Thanks for your quick reply. I recalled that I do not have such hydrophone problems with stock SH3. Well i will describe that patrol I was on so that it forms a better picture. I was being depth charged by 2 DDs (rearguard I think) as I tried to chase a convoy. For the better of 2 hours I was depth charged. 1 DD finally left. The second was just about to leave, so I was asking the sonarman for nearest sound/warship contact. He reported none,(even after I asked him like 5 times or so) so I manned the station myself n gave it a few slow spins and got nothing, not even an 'unknown'. Not believing both since I was just depthed charged a few minutes ago, I used the F12 external view (sorry abit of cheating here haha). N the DD was at bearing 230 or more, moving away, at 300-500 metres. I was completely flabbergasted that I quit the game. I have a quiet room, am using headphones, at max volume. Im not sure if GWX is making it more realistic for tracking sonar contacts or its some configuration. I have managed to track a few convoys by sonar in stock SH3 cus the screw sounds are quite audible. (and sank a few ships yeah For my GWX, the screw sounds are so faint even when the ships are within comfortable visual range (mast n deck visible). I guess I will try out Thomson's pack THX!!!! (THOMSON! IT'S THOMSON!

TO Hitman:

All my volumes are maxed out. I suppose I could try tinkering with the voices volume n all. But as I said, the volume options isnt the issue with stock SH3. Has GWX altered the volume of the diesel engines noise which can be heard from the bridge?
RainbowToh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 07:48 PM   #4788
cgdad62
Watch

Downloads: 387
Default poly limit

Hey all
Can anyone tell me if there is a poly count limit on a model?
cgdad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 09:52 PM   #4789
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 116

Hi gentlemen (and any intrepid ladies.)

A reminder. Please remember that this thread was created to assist with and address matters relating to GWX itself.

If you have general questions relating to SH3 or other mods not constructed by the GWX dev team... please either search the archives or open a new thread.

Thank you.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 08:38 PM   #4790
TheBrauerHour
Mr. Eastwood

Downloads: 18

I have recently installed Silent Hunter III and then installed GWX. I started a career in 1939 from the 7th Flotilla based in Kiel. My first orders are to go to AO98 and sink some target ships. Problem is, when the game loads up, I have spawned in the ocean off the West coast of Africa!

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
TheBrauerHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 08:39 PM   #4791
Hans_Lenzer
Nub

Downloads: 33

I recently purchaced and installed your GWX 3 super mod.

I installed it and got it to run.

It is remarkable!

My pc is not very fast.

It meets all the minimum requirements to play except cpu speed.

I can play basic SH3 with patch 1.4b until I get to a convoy. Then it slows down a considerable amount.

GWX 3 slows it down even more while playing SH3.

Can I remove some of the graphic effects like extra nice sky and water to get it to run faster?

Can I copy and paste the GWX3 Missions folder to the desktop and install them to basic non GWX3 SH3 with patch 1.4b?

I would be satisfied with just the new missions and the navigation dials that come with GWX3.

Thanks In Advance!
Hans_Lenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 09:02 PM   #4792
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrauerHour View Post
I have recently installed Silent Hunter III and then installed GWX. I started a career in 1939 from the 7th Flotilla based in Kiel. My first orders are to go to AO98 and sink some target ships. Problem is, when the game loads up, I have spawned in the ocean off the West coast of Africa!

This is just a random guess: Sounds like you might have used SH3 Commander to start the career but chose different flotillas in Commander and SH3 with the 'spawn at sea' option enabled in Commander.
Commander Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 07:04 AM   #4793
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Lenzer View Post
I recently purchaced and installed your GWX 3 super mod.

I installed it and got it to run.

It is remarkable!

My pc is not very fast.

It meets all the minimum requirements to play except cpu speed.

I can play basic SH3 with patch 1.4b until I get to a convoy. Then it slows down a considerable amount.

GWX 3 slows it down even more while playing SH3.

Can I remove some of the graphic effects like extra nice sky and water to get it to run faster?

Can I copy and paste the GWX3 Missions folder to the desktop and install them to basic non GWX3 SH3 with patch 1.4b?

I would be satisfied with just the new missions and the navigation dials that come with GWX3.

Thanks In Advance!
You can tone down your visuals in the options panel and disable the enhanced damage effects mod but the files for sea and sky are part of the olc environmental mod which would take a high level of knowehow to tweak (not adviseable or recommended).

The GWX3.0 Missions folder will only work with GWX3.0.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 07:06 AM   #4794
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrauerHour View Post

Have you installed the GWX3.0 CFG for SH3Commander?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 02:44 PM   #4795
TheBrauerHour
Mr. Eastwood

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Have you installed the GWX3.0 CFG for SH3Commander?

Yes I have. I will reinstall the config files again. Everything else works wonderful, as I have started a new career from a different Flotille. Restarting a new career in that same 7th Flotille netted me the same result, so I am a happy person serving in teh 1st Flotille for now.

Thanks for the ideas about my issue
TheBrauerHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 04:49 PM   #4796
GuyC_UK
Swabbie

Downloads: 23

I am amazed at the difference between the original GWX v1.01 and GWX3.0
when i moved my cursor to the right and had the massive compass hit me in the face i was impressed
its use is much easier for exact course setting but im still new and would like to know the best setup ie GWXmods to add now that there are more than eight and some arent compatable with each other and game settings for the best action ie which is the best flottila and year to start etc, i am on a dial up mobile broadband so online gaming is out of the question can you help, other than that it is running fluidly so no probs with installation or game play set on max everything and have installed sh3cmdr v3.2, and installed the gwx3 cfg files for it, I just would like to play it at its best settings for maximum gameplay experience.
GuyC_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 05:10 PM   #4797
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WELCOME ABOARD!

That big compass is borrowed from FLB_Sales's Simfeeling 6-Dials mod. I use the full mod:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...lly+ready+play
Old 10-07-09, 05:34 PM   #4798
GuyC_UK
Swabbie

Hi Sailor Steve that mod looks awesome, i have a few questions for you.

1. I notice most seperate mod files are .7z files, which software do i need to unpack them/ decompress or decode them??

2. Which mods do you prefer using?
Old 10-07-09, 05:41 PM   #4799
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

[quote=GuyC_UK;1185629]Hi Sailor Steve that mod looks awesome, i have a few questions for you.

1. I notice most seperate mod files are .7z files, which software do i need to unpack them/ decompress or decode them??

Welcome aboard GuyC Google "7z" and down load the free and wonderful program
Old 10-07-09, 06:02 PM   #4800
GuyC_UK
Swabbie

Thanks irish1958 now to find the right folders to put them in