SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-08-10, 08:22 AM   #466
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Surely not 100% accurate, I know, but much better than considering nothing as in stock sh3.exe, where you alway have the same diving time. And even this approximation took 50 lines of assembler code. We have to live with compromises here, because I may not loose overview....
It's an excellent result and compromise, your doing a great job
Old 11-08-10, 10:22 AM   #467
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

@Dani: Thanks for that idea (more dud torpedoes).

Does anyone know, if that can be done by editing .sim files or similar or using SH3-Commanders random features??

If not: I need some historical data.

Next points on the todo list (but at first I need some time now for calm down and get new energy):

* external torpedo reload problem
* weather changes
* rise detection probability when repairs are made
* (dud torpedoes?)

h.sie
Old 11-08-10, 11:14 AM   #468
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:

Does anyone know, if that can be done by editing .sim files or similar or using SH3-Commanders random features??
Yes it can, IIRC NYGM already tweaked the magnetic pistol to increase dud rates, and disabled the impact one (Though via menu).
Old 11-08-10, 02:03 PM   #469
Silent Ace
Seaman

Downloads: 64

h.sie please see the following documentary films, I think it would be helpful:
Us Squalus-http://www.guba.com/watch/3000085951
HMS Thetis-http://www.factualtv.com/documentary...ury-HMS-Thetis
Silent Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-10, 03:40 PM   #470
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi all,

there is a long discussion about the torpedo problems in the old NYGM manuals NYGM_Tonnage_War_Manual 2_0.pdf and NYGM_Tonnage_War_Manual 2.2a.pdf. Basically, the NYGM team forces the player to use the magnetic pistol because it has a higher chance of exploding prematurely (but still much too low according to the NYGM team). In addition, it's possible to randomize the running depth of the torpedo via SH3 Commander in a way that the player will not see it.

However, the problem is that if you know about the depth keeping issue, it's quite easy to avoid it (as in real life). And since it's hard to erase this knowledge now... In SH3 you can get a dud rate very close to zero by just using the impact pistol and 90° AOB shots. With magnetic pistol I guess you can get a slightly higher rate but not much (if you use them like impact torpedoes).

So, in SH3 torpedoes more or less work perfectly with the right settings even when using the SH3 Commander depth-keeping issue mod and magnetic pistols. However, I don't know how unrealistic this is The problem is that we know about the issues now and it's not easy to simulate the 'not knowing'.
If someone has any hard facts about the reliability of the impact pistol (apart from the depth keeping issue), I would love to know it. I have been wondering about this already quite some time.

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-10, 03:46 PM   #471
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi h.sie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post

h.sie
I think this is the most important issue because it cannot be addressed via other means!

Anyway, take a break, recharge your batteries, and enjoy your work! Already now you have improved SH3 more than I ever thought it would happen after all the years!

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-10, 04:49 PM   #472
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:

If not: I need some historical data.

Next points on the todo list (but at first I need some time now for calm down and get new energy):

* external torpedo reload problem
* weather changes
* (dud torpedoes?)

h.sie
Your progressing well H....keep up the good work

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-10, 05:31 PM   #473
h.sie
Admiral

Hi Jim,

nice to read some lines from you!

Where have the Kaleun Bechers gone?
Hope they were a good present!

H.
Old 11-08-10, 09:48 PM   #474
panzerschutze12ss
Watch

Downloads: 638

I have not been able to get V15D-Beta to work for me. I dont no what is wrong because I have V15C working perfectly.

I took a copy of my SH3.exe from my clean install of SHIII and patched it using the Patch_SH3.batch file. It verifiyed that it was the proper vertion and then patched it creating an old file. I then applied the 4GB patch to it. I tried running an unmoded (that is apsolutly no MOD's at all not even GWX) install of SH3. I created a carrer and started my first mission but get a CTD right after it finishes loading. Oh and I did replace the the camera file also.

So what went wrong. Maybe it is the 4GB patch. I set everything back to stock and make sure it is in working order. All good. I redo my steps as before minus the 4GB patch, but get the same CTD at same point.

I reset back to stock. All works and install my V15C ver. and it works fine.

So am i doing something wrong or what?
panzerschutze12ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 02:05 AM   #475
h.sie
Admiral

Hi panzerschuetze,

let us first prevent from errors that come from loading old career and configuration files. So please (backup and) delete or rename your SH3 folder which can be found in your personal folder "Eigene Dateien" in german. Then try again.

If you still get this error, I need the information (see under -> details) you get from the error window "sh3.exe has to be closed" or similar that appears when sh3.exe crashes. Using this information, I can see if the error is related to my routines or not, and if so, I can even locate the command that leads to the crash.

And please also tell me what Windows version do you use!

Any others having these problems?

Last edited by h.sie; 11-09-10 at 02:51 AM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 03:05 AM   #476
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 619

Hi panzerschütze,

it's recommended to deactivate anti virus software like AV guards etc. before patching sh3.exe.

Give it a try.

Cheers,
SquareSteelBar
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 10:35 AM   #477
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Hi panzerschuetze,

let us first prevent from errors that come from loading old career and configuration files. So please (backup and) delete or rename your SH3 folder which can be found in your personal folder "Eigene Dateien" in german. Then try again.

If you still get this error, I need the information (see under -> details) you get from the error window "sh3.exe has to be closed" or similar that appears when sh3.exe crashes. Using this information, I can see if the error is related to my routines or not, and if so, I can even locate the command that leads to the crash.

And please also tell me what Windows version do you use!

Any others having these problems?
same problem here H.Sie !

it is not the camerabehaviour.act responsible (i tried it also with the stock file and still crashed)
i tested it in the naval academy missions ....and ,as described, it crashes one moment before the game entering (after the ''initializing'' message)
the .exe was correctly patched (the 1,5d was showing at the bottom edge of screen)
i am using windows 7 x64 ultimate (can't see the error message that you want...it is just saying error and that programme is shutted down)

thank you for all this effort H.Sie

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 10:49 AM   #478
h.sie
Admiral

I have to re-activate my Win7 x64 and see what happens there!

So people with problems should stick on V15C until I found a solution.

Thanks, makman, for resonance.
Old 11-09-10, 11:35 AM   #479
h.sie
Admiral

I need some resonance now from people using V15D-beta in order to locate that problem.

1) Does the game crash while loading?

2) Which operatiing system do you have?

3) 32 or 64 Bit?

Thanks for helping.

I already have a suspicion: I used a GetTime() system-call to Windows USER32.dll in order to realise a 20 seconds time delay. Maybe the addresses have changed for newer Win versions or 64 bit versions.....or it's a permission problem.
Old 11-09-10, 01:36 PM   #480
panzerschutze12ss
Watch

Downloads: 638

I am running VISTA x64 and also can't give you the error message for why the program has failed and has to be closed. I did patch the .exe file with AV softwhare closed. Actually I uninstalled it. I tried deleting my SH3 folder (after backing it up) to eliminate that posability. But still no luck. SH3 loads up to main menu fine. When I try to start a new carrer or any single mission. Game will load all the way to the ''initializing'' message and CTD's at that point.

THANKS H.Sie for all your efforts. You are opening new and great possibilities for SH3. I hope this helps you. I'm no wiz at moding but if I can help you testing anything let me know.
panzerschutze12ss is offline   Reply With Quote