SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-09, 12:03 PM   #4771
U2222
Sparky

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

I had this same problem the other week - see thread
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155886
So I guess this file is missing from my install.
I have not noticed any problems with running GWX so what exactly does this file do?
If I need to add this file to my game how would this best done - not another full install...please

A Big Thank You To All The Modders Who Make
Sub Simming Such A Deep Experience
U2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 01:26 PM   #4772
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2222 View Post
I had this same problem the other week - see thread
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155886
So I guess this file is missing from my install.
I have not noticed any problems with running GWX so what exactly does this file do?
If I need to add this file to my game how would this best done - not another full install...please
@U2222

The problem is not widespread and has only occurred on an isolated basis. If you have not experienced problems... you have nothing to worry about.

If it was a general problem/bug, we would have had literally thousands of complaints... which would have required us to release a hotfix.

Kind regards.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 01:59 PM   #4773
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I've just downloaded the file from my FF account (58 this week and 5,200 in total) and carried out an exhaustive series of tests (including a further installation of the mod using suspect bin file).

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 02:01 PM   #4774
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Hey kpt. Lehmann I had the same issue few days ago.. I ignored it and continued the installation.

Is it possible to just upload thos NKSs_T05 and 06.. I'm missing both of them...

Thanks

WH
Old 09-22-09, 03:20 PM   #4775
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfehunter View Post
Hey kpt. Lehmann I had the same issue few days ago.. I ignored it and continued the installation.

Is it possible to just upload thos NKSs_T05 and 06.. I'm missing both of them...

Thanks

WH
http://www.filefront.com/14581935/NK...nd-T06-tga.7z/

Old 09-22-09, 04:31 PM   #4776
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I've had the same files since it became available.

Burnt to cd and only reinstall because of reformat.

In all that time I've NEVER had a CTD or any problem.

And I have 21 mods also added.

Just Lucky ?

Just good GWX.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-09, 07:48 PM   #4777
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Thanks jim.

I have the very first GWX 3.0 on my dvd.. But i was too lazy to dig it up...

so I downloaded Kpt version again from filefront few days ago.. I got that error... but continued..

The first one was flawless. I'll dig it up hehehe next time I decide to install GWX...
Old 09-22-09, 10:04 PM   #4778
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Thanks from me, too. I'll slip your "05" back into the game folder where it belongs.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 12:28 AM   #4779
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 4

Just a quick check: these go in the Textures\TLowRes\tex folder, yes? Also, I got the error about 05 as well, but noticed there was no 04 or 06 in my folder either. I never had a CTD though. Is there an 04 or 07+ missing for me too?
Commander Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 01:39 AM   #4780
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 116

No. That .tga file goes into the data/Sea/NKSs_ folder.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 04:08 AM   #4781
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 4

Doh! Guess I'll have to look closer next time. Thanks for the info.
Commander Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 12:33 PM   #4782
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Gizmo View Post
Doh! Guess I'll have to look closer next time. Thanks for the info.
I should apologise....perhaps I should have made it JSGME compatible or at least have stipulated where the files should be pasted to.

Old 09-24-09, 11:11 AM   #4783
RainbowToh
Nub

Downloads: 13
Default Problems with sounds

Hi guys! I have been playing GWX for about half a year now and it's awesome! But there's one small problem, well 2 in fact.

In the stock SH3, while at the bridge, you can hear the diesel engines roaring when you ordered Ahead Flank. But in GWX, the Uboat is eerily silent at all speeds. Though some might argue whether the diesel sounds should be audible at the bridge, I would like to recreate the stock SH3 engine roar or if theres any flaws in my installation.

Secondly, I seem to have some problems with my hydrophone. The ships' screws sounds are so soft even when the ships are close up. My sonarman reports 'no sonar contact' even when a DD is within visual range! (like ard 500m away). So is there any way to get around these sound problems?
RainbowToh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 12:37 PM   #4784
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

In the SH3 options, in the menu, you have the ability to lower/raise the sound level for voices adn effects. Try lowering voices and other until you hear all as you want
Old 09-24-09, 02:25 PM   #4785
Fluffysheap
Bosun

Downloads: 8

Hi,
I have the Thomson's Sound Pack and I am able to hear the engines on the bridge. I'm not sure if that's only because of Thomson's or if you just have some problem with your installation but you might try that. The sound pack is very nice anyway so even if it doesn't fix your problem it's great to have! I am sure it is not due to some other mod because for a long time, GWX and Thomson's Sound were the only mods I used. (Now I have added some others and things are even better).

As far as the hydrophone, it is true that the sonarman is quite deaf. Some things you can do to maybe improve it a little:
* Make sure that your sonarman and radioman both have the radio qualification and as much rank as possible. It is funny, but their effectiveness is based on the efficiency of the room as a whole, so even though they have separate jobs, the skill of one affects the skill of the other.
* Upgrade your hydrophones when you can, as the low-tech "GHG" hydrophones are not very good.
* Some contacts don't make very much noise and won't be easy to hear. Ships whose engines have stopped, and sailing ships, will not be detectable on the hydrophones.

However the main cause of the sonarman missing nearby contacts is just that he has not pointed the hydrophone at them yet. As you know if you man the station yourself, you can not hear a contact if the hydrophone is pointing the wrong way, no matter how close. Sometimes the sonarman doesn't report a contact just because his sweep has not reached the bearing yet. But, he will usually not find distant contacts, even when he sweeps right past them. But the sonarman will often be able to track a contact you have pointed out to him, which he could not find on his own. To do this, find the contact, select it with the checkbox and choose the type of ship, then give the order to follow the contact. This still will not work on very distant contacts, but it will work on medium-range ones. Most of the time this works out - if you are using the hydrophone to search for contacts, it is OK to do the searching yourself, whereas if you are in combat already, the sonarman can usually hear anyone who is close enough to be interesting. As an additional bonus to searching for contacts yourself, sometimes you will find whales, or dolphins. (Tracking down dolphins using the hydrophone is quite a good practice for hunting ships this way, as dolphins move very quickly and erratically, and as a bonus, you can see them through binoculars on the bridge and they are cute).

As far as using the hydrophone manually, and again assuming you have the Thomson sound pack, you must make sure your own sound environment in the real world is adequate. You must have a quiet room, or good headphones, or a very high volume. There is a faint ticking sound, which is the clock in the radio room. Like distant sonar contacts, it is quieter than the ambient ocean noise audible through the hydrophone. I find if I can hear the clock ticking, I can also hear any ship that the hydrophone is capable of finding. The advantage of the hydrophone in this case is that it can hear ships outside visual range and works equally well at night or in bad weather (it works too well in bad weather actually, it should be degraded some and it isn't).

Edit to add:
* Of course, hydrophones don't work on the surface.
* Hydrophones work best while you are stopped. The faster you go, the less effective they are. (It's actually based on engine speed, not motion through the water)
* Sometimes, turning quickly will cause your sonarman to lose track of a contact he is following.
* Supposedly depth matters, but this either isn't implemented or doesn't have a significant effect. I never noticed any difference.

Last edited by Fluffysheap; 09-24-09 at 11:08 PM.
Fluffysheap is offline   Reply With Quote