SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-29-05, 04:04 PM   #451
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Just did a little AEGIS testing. The engagement range is extended to 15nm at least. What is interesting is that the ships aren't shooting until the missiles enable. Apparently, they are detecting them at range but are not classifying them as hostile.

So, if someone sets their missiles to enable at a range of 10-12 miles away, there is no change in engagement range.

It's still an improvement though, at least if aTMA is off some skill will be required to deliver the missiles that accurately.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 04:10 PM   #452
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I would go with the the Human = Right turn / AI = Randomized. As Beer already pointed out, if you have randomly turning torpedoes you have a hell of a time bringing them on target. And dont forget, unlike Subdrivers - Air guys cant resteer. Now, especially with the Mod, if you arent right on the money at the beginning you most likely just wasted a torpedo. So just for the sake of balancing, make them predictable turning right (or left) as long as its one direction - all the time.
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 04:11 PM   #453
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Molon, what you are describing is what happens when you set EMCON for the AEGIS ships.

Make sure they have their search radars on, and you should find the range increased to 18-25nm, depending on the conditions.
Old 10-29-05, 04:15 PM   #454
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Oneshot, I've actually found that a torpedo that initially circles in the opposite direction of the target can be just as effective as one that circles directly towards the target, since its approach angle once it completes its circle is often better for preventing spoofing from decoys.

I've dropped many torpedos with show truth on, and the difference in weapon effectiveness actually isn't terribly different.

But I agree, there should be some predictability. I'm not trying to suggest that I dissagree with you and Beer about that basic point.
Old 10-29-05, 04:35 PM   #455
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

The main difference for flyboys with this mod are the greatly reduced seeker ranges for the LWTs. Given the 500yard circle direction, no matter which way the torpedo circles initially, you are going to have to put the torpedo within about 1.5nm max of the target to get a reliable kill, maybe even closer depending on conditions. You no longer have the 3.5nm Circle of Death.

Not that I would presume to be able to tell you experts anything useful, but I think you may find the snake pattern more useful now in some conditions.
Old 10-29-05, 05:03 PM   #456
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0

Of course it can be done to steer by depth - even number right, uneven number - left :-).

Molon Labe - in tests of Tgio's FC radars I noticed that first detection was often by ESM, not by radar. You have to use DbgView (it's really easy, I wrote description few times here on forum) and see what sensor makes first detection - radar or ESM. If ESM, then probably detection is made by ESM, and target is engaged immediately because it's within FC det range (FC radars are disabled at start, enable only when platform fire - and then possibly are left enabled). Or maybe it's indeed ID, DbgView reports identification of targets too, you can check.

P.S. Right - ESM and FC radars are "mounted" higher than SPY radar !!
Have greater radar horizon. For SPY I've set correct height, for ESM and FC radar is still zero so 2/3 of mast height is used ! And it's higher.
It's OK for ESM which can be high on mast, but FC radars should be set height equal to SPY, even though they are higher physically, they probably have to be fed with target data from SPY radar to acquire.
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 05:05 PM   #457
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizaur
Of course it can be done to steer by depth - even number right, uneven number - left :-).

Molon Labe - in tests of Tgio's FC radars I noticed that first detection was often by ESM, not by radar. You have to use DbgView (it's really easy, I wrote description few times here on forum) and see what sensor makes first detection - radar or ESM. If ESM, then probably detection is made by ESM, and target is engaged immediately because it's within FC det range (FC radars are disabled at start, enable only when platform fire - and then possibly are left enabled). Or maybe it's indeed ID, DbgView reports identification of targets too, you can check.
Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt for me to learn dbgview. But the Burke is not in EMCON, that's for sure.
Old 10-29-05, 05:16 PM   #458
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0

Download http://members.chello.pl/m.ostrowski...gView_4_DW.zip

There is short graphical guide how 2 use with DW. Notice that there is one space between DW executable name and -debugoutput addition. Use filters "detect" if you want detections only, or more arguments spaced by , if you wants more. Best to run once with all inclusive * filter to see what kind of info you get, and then choose few keywords you want and use them as filter arguments (f.ex. "detect","launch","hostile","evad")
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 05:29 PM   #459
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

I should mention that there is a difference in engagement range for AEGIS vessels if they are able to detect the launch of the missile before it reaches its skimming trajectory or if they have a linking platform.

If their first warning of the incoming missile is the missile in its search phase, then they will engage the missile later than if they knew the missile on launch before it went low or had a link contact for the missile.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why this is, but it's not from the ESM detection, which there usually isn't until the missile gets much closer. Perhaps there is a delay in turning on the FC radars? The detection information from DBGViewer is a little confusing on this issue, and I can't figure out why.

Like I said in the readme, the simulation aspects of this will change, but for now, it behaves in a way that feels right, to me anyway, simulating reaction times and everything (even though that is a bit of an accident). :|\
Old 10-29-05, 05:33 PM   #460
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
I should mention that there is a difference in engagement range for AEGIS vessels if they are able to detect the launch of the missile before it reaches its skimming trajectory or if they have a linking platform.

If their first warning of the incoming missile is the missile in its search phase, then they will engage the missile later than if they knew the missile on launch before it went low or had a link contact for the missile.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why this is, but it's not from the ESM detection, which there usually isn't until the missile gets much closer. Perhaps there is a delay in turning on the FC radars? The detection information from DBGViewer is a little confusing on this issue, and I can't figure out why.

Like I said in the readme, the simulation aspects of this will change, but for now, it behaves in a way that feels right, to me anyway, simulating reaction times and everything (even though that is a bit of an accident). :|\

OK, got DbgView up and running.
Launched 4 ASM from 20 miles out. E-2, DDG, and FFG all detected at launch.

ASMs enabled 10nm out. ESM contact was made, and missiles were identified hostile. Chaff was fired and a barage of SM-2 were launched. I'm not sure which stage they were fired at. A second volley, however, was required, resulting in one missile getting through.

As far as I can tell, even with Dbg, they are holding fire until the targets are classed hostile, and this does not occur until their seekers enable.
Old 10-29-05, 05:36 PM   #461
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Huh?

In my tests, the missiles are never classified before they are engaged.

Do you have the ships and the launching platforms set on different sides?
Old 10-29-05, 05:37 PM   #462
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Huh?

In my tests, the missiles are never classified before they are engaged.

Do you have the ships and the launching platforms set on different sides?
Of course!
Old 10-29-05, 05:44 PM   #463
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

I tested again from 20nm.

The first barrage of missiles are engaged around 15nm.

The second are engaged as soon as I launch them. Apparently there is a delay in turning on the FC radars and then once they are on, the engagement is made much faster.

I dunno what's up... there must be something in your test setup that is different than mine. :hmm:
Old 10-29-05, 05:46 PM   #464
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I tested again from 20nm.

The first barrage of missiles are engaged around 15nm.

The second are engaged as soon as I launch them. Apparently there is a delay in turning on the FC radars and then once they are on, the engagement is made much faster.

I dunno what's up... there must be something in your test setup that is different than mine. :hmm:
What was your enable range?
You also might have been detected when you launched, classifed hostile when the missiles that came from you were classifed, and then all further missiles coming from you were classifed hostile. Maybe.
Old 10-29-05, 05:49 PM   #465
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

I've also tested the missiles launched from over 100nm away.

Give me one second to try something.