SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Which version of TSWSM are you looking forward to?
Version 1 156 20.77%
Version 2 79 10.52%
Version 3 29 3.86%
Version 4 77 10.25%
All of them 488 64.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-09, 05:27 PM   #451
polyfiller
Weps

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0

Darkfish - agree - 3rd aa gun setup is very confusing. I guess if we both use a method that works, that's the most important thing.

Quick update - Fiji (Colony Class Cruiser) completed.

Am running out of ships (UK & German). I could always start on the stock US ships, but these are not needed for release 1 right ?

On another note ... I am STILL looking for someone to help work on armour value balancing. Anyone want to / or feel they can contribute. Am going to do some testing this week to try and work out how it can be done. One test I need to get out of the way is - do the SH4 armour penetration capabilities reduce with increased range ? If not then the balancing exercise becomes more difficult as all the data I've found on penetration values varies substantially with range, therefore which range do we use as a baseline to apply to game i.e. gun x shoudl be able to penetrate armour thickness Y at x range. This may sound like a bit of a ramble but some research on the web combined with an understanding of shells.dat will confirm what I'm saying.

Oh and Darkfish - good luck with the exam
polyfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 02:27 PM   #452
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

hmm... I can't find any more vickers MGs on the Hood... What exactly do you want to be removed and where can I find it?

Got a 7,3 (something like a C in US grading system) for the exam (oral exam dutch literature - luckily my last literature exam EVER)
means I learned much too long
DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 04:26 PM   #453
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

I remember a Calvin and Hobbes comic.

it showed Calvin doing a test, and it said, "when did columbus sail to america?" his response was "1492" then
"congratulations, i have learned and remembered this little fact. I will now forget it, thank you for letting me manipulate the system" or something like that. then he says, "my tests are popular reading in the teacher's lounge"

and nice work Darkfish! i got a B in my psychology exam, that means i can identify Schizophrenia, OCD, and reactions to percieved threats! yay me!
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 05:52 PM   #454
polyfiller
Weps

Darkfish - the Vickers quad mounts which we need to remove are on the Renown, not the hood.

Am currently using your method to add rotating fire directors and radars to most ships - tho I'm running into the problem of the model components being too big i.e. radar not able to rotate because it's part of a bigger part we don't want to rotate. I'm also plaaying with the idea of creating new working radars in sensors.dat for the ships radars - for the simple reason the currently displayed radar models DO not translate their damage to the functioning radar we use on the ships (which is in effect hidden U boat radar antenae). However - to do this I need to find data regarding radar models, looks, and specifications. Not found any yet.

If we can't do the above, I have another trick, but it involves making the radar zones "children" of a custom zone we define ... when the custom zone is destroyed, our working U boat radar should be - the downside is that it won't enable repairable damage - the radar will either be fine or will be destroyed ... or slightly damaged if the very small zone for the stock submarine radars actually takes a hit - in my testing this happens far too little for it to be satisfactory.
Old 04-15-09, 05:54 PM   #455
polyfiller
Weps

Oh and well done on the exams.... Sledge - does that mean you can also identify obsessive compulsive modding disorder
Old 04-15-09, 06:10 PM   #456
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

yup, self diagnosed
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Old 04-15-09, 07:11 PM   #457
Regio Sommergibile
Officer

Downloads: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427 View Post
I remember a Calvin and Hobbes comic.

it showed Calvin doing a test, and it said, "when did columbus sail to america?" his response was "1492" then
"congratulations, i have learned and remembered this little fact. I will now forget it, thank you for letting me manipulate the system" or something like that. then he says, "my tests are popular reading in the teacher's lounge
I remember it! a great strip
Old 04-16-09, 05:41 PM   #458
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284

Im going to dinner right now, but when I get back I will email TSWSMT all the SH3 ships that need to be converted. Re-skinning and re-modeling is not important atm. But before a full release they are a must!

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 02:19 AM   #459
ivank
The Old Man

edit

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Last edited by ivank; 04-17-09 at 03:25 AM.
Old 04-17-09, 06:12 AM   #460
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfiller View Post
Darkfish - the Vickers quad mounts which we need to remove are on the Renown, not the hood.
Ah that's why I couldn't find them
I've deleted them from the model, it are only three of them, is that right?
a PM with the new model is on its way.

for radar info, have you looked on navweaps.com already? lots of info there. radar info is in the 'naval weapons' section, not 'naval technology'
DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 02:47 PM   #461
polyfiller
Weps

Darkfish - thanks for the Renown - will import it tonight.

Does anyone in our team know how radar ranges work ? I'm creating RN radars (accurate ranges and model numbers etc) ... trouble is, I can't get anything detected beyond 30000 metres. I read somewhere on subsim that the game won't show anything beyond 30000 metres. I created entries in the sensors.dat for the new radar models ... and they work ... just not long enough range.

Any ideas anyone ?
Old 04-19-09, 05:57 PM   #462
polyfiller
Weps

Further update : historical radar models created for the RN ships we have thus far. Full radar loadoutwill change per ship (based on upgrade data I found on the web on the RL ships). Full radar loadout thus far comprises; Surface radar, Air worning radar, Surface fire control radar (x2 per ship) and AA fire control (thus far x 2 per ship, but may be more). Radar models defined are; 79, 279, 271, 273, 281, 281, 284, 285, 274. These seem to cover most of the main models in use during the war. I've NOT created 3d models for these - just a dummy node which I can use to assign specific radar sim values and also individual damage zone ID's. Each radar is individually deifined in equipment.upc and upgrades.upc - so the ship now looks more authentic from the damage screen in terms of loadout. If we can create 3D antenna models for each, the can easily be added.

Am still keen to find out if it's possible to extend the "active" world beyond 40 km - some air radar on ships could see out to 120 miles ... but the game will only display units within 40 km

And if I ever have to do another session of matching upgrade pack intervals to the ships upgrade pack definitions .... I'll go mad.

Also had a major problem with KGV - have created test missions from 1939 thru 1945 and placed AI versions of all the converted allied ships .... found some interesting clashes (and a few CTD's). Essentially not all ships had remapped ID's (KGV) and even then, clashes are not avoided ... only way to be sure is to rename all nodes in .DAT file so they don't match nodes in the AI controlled version of unit... this resolved issue with KGV.

Will be testing the new radars in terms of damage impact early next week.
Old 04-26-09, 05:38 PM   #463
polyfiller
Weps

Well I'm still working away on stuff;

1) Radar models for RN - created most we need and am still trying to get the granularity of detection sorted out - very laborious testing.

2) Managed to create main gun turret upgrades for BB's that mount the additional AA fitted to various RN BB's during the war. So far added quad 2pdrs to the Warspite B & X turrets and quad 2pdrs plus 2 x 20 mm to the Rodney B turret.

3) Added upgrade pack technical info to all the RN radar and RN main armement (so that when you look in the upgrade packs screen and click on a gun turret, it gives you all the ranges etc. and some historical blurb) - this took quite a while to do but I'm glad it's done now.

4) Sorted out the dark texture issue on the Rodney's 6 in turrets.

Is anyone else still around / working on the mod (been knida quiet on here for a while) ?
Old 04-26-09, 06:09 PM   #464
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

I'm still here...I'm going to start working on the SH3 ships

before you freak out, its the merchies...dont worry, I suck at making playables
Old 04-26-09, 06:31 PM   #465
ivank
The Old Man

So yea, Shamer when you convert them just send me them with a roster file, so I can finish my stuff and help with making stuff playable. Dont worry about remodeling/retexturing the merchants until later. Any news on whether or not your ready to re-model the other warships(Bismarck class, Scharnhorst class, Admirl Hipper class, british warships....)

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1