SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-08, 03:03 PM   #436
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Hi RB,

I got a suggestion - not for the mod but for the thread

As I'm sure you know this thread is quite... big ... and I for one have trouble keeping up with it. I was wondering if you could keep an up-to-date short description of what the mod does, somewhere? Post #1 mentions the SH4 effects to SH3 port, but I gather there's a load of other stuff you've done. IIRC bodies, blood, flares and life boats were just a few of the things you added... and now I see something about AI ships and something about AI torps??? Sounds intruiging but I've no idea what it's about! I can see there's an update history in Post #1 but honestly mate, it reads like the small print on a mortgage.

Just a consice, descriptive bullet-point list of goodies (both REL and WIP) would be great and really appreciated!
Old 01-23-08, 04:38 PM   #437
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

You know, it's mods like this that make me look at my five-year old computer and cry myself to sleep.

I have just enough horsepower to run SH3 and GWX 2.0 without stressing my computer much, but I very much doubt it could handle this mod added into the mix.

I sorely wish I could afford to build a new system because this has to be one of the most varied and incredibly inventive mods ever conceived!

It's really too bad there seems to be so many "turf wars" amongst modders. If all the best were united under one roof, so to speak, the level of quality for SH3 would far exceed anything its original authors ever dreamed!
Old 01-23-08, 04:52 PM   #438
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

IIRC Racerboy put quite a bit of effort into optimising all the effects so that the impact on performance is minimal. You'd be surprised - give the mod a try.

You're right about the turf wars though.
Old 01-23-08, 04:54 PM   #439
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 260
Uploads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
IIRC Racerboy put quite a bit of effort into optimising all the effects so that the impact on performance is minimal. You'd be surprised - give the mod a try.

You're right about the turf wars though.

CapZap
Old 01-23-08, 04:55 PM   #440
sh3rules
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf Paper
[...] the level of quality for SH3 would far exceed anything its original authors ever dreamed!

IMO it already has. SH3 was never really finished (for example, the XXI wasn’t all that functional) and the list of bugs warranted another patch. All modders –whether it’s new skins, units, effects or correcting bugs- have brought the game to a standard the original dev team never bothered to (they only did what, 80-90% of the total work? /sarcasm). I guess I shouldn’t be too harsh on them though, since there are uptight devs who get angry at the idea of someone messing with their game. SH3 is turning out great, and RB’s mod is another brick in this game’s greatness.
sh3rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 05:13 PM   #441
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

I built this system from scratch back in 2001, but I've kept everything upgraded periodically except for the RAM and motherboard.

I'll give it a try and see what happens once it's GWX compatible. Thanks for giving me the heads up on this, OLC!

EDIT:

SH3Rules, you are right that the modders have already exceeded what the original game devs had in mind when creating SH3, but I do belive that many of us have seen the various works by the modders and said to ourselves, "If only he would get together with what's-his-face and combine their stuff together, then we'd really have something great!".

For instance, Tomi_099's incredible model of the VIID minelayer sub would be more incredible still if the spotty work done on uboat launched mines were combined and continued with his efforts.

One of the ideas I try to live by is "the more you freely give, the more will be freely given to you". I would like to think such a creedo would be all the "copyright" I'll ever need on any mod I might release (this coming from a guy that still can't use his graphics tablet, let alone a monster like 3DS Max. ).

Last edited by Graf Paper; 01-23-08 at 05:38 PM.
Graf Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 05:21 PM   #442
Turm
Engineer

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3rules
I guess I shouldn’t be too harsh on them though, since there are uptight devs who get angry at the idea of someone messing with their game.
Yes, as always, it's the publishers that always spoil the fun and put a hold on further patches, which in turn are only needed because they pushed the product out of the door too early. The hands of the developers are tied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf Paper
You know, it's mods like this that make me look at my five-year old computer and cry myself to sleep.

I have just enough horsepower to run SH3 and GWX 2.0 without stressing my computer much, but I very much doubt it could handle this mod added into the mix.
Yes, definitely give it a go once it's compatible - I will! I have a fairly old machine and I could run GWX 1.03 with RB's effects mod with no real trouble. Occasionally it would slow down when a torpedo hit if there was really a lot of debris and multiple explosions, but nothing untoward. After 2 seconds it was all back to normal.
Turm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 01:10 AM   #443
Mil_tera
Loader

Downloads: 11

Hi all,

Anyone heard from Racerboy lately? Am enjoying this mod in the GWX 1.03 and am looking forward to the other features that might be released in the future like the torpedo mod..

And just want to thank Racerboy for this outstanding mod!!!!!! Its wonderfull, love the bodies/debris in the water and the special effects. Am now slowly adding the different sounds to the ships which makes everything even more realistic!!!

*Driving blindly on faith*
Mil_tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 03:39 AM   #444
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

He doesn't seem to be around. PM'd him a few days ago, no reply... and I've not seen him posting at all. I hope he didn't get too pissed off with this place and leave.

Edit: ah, he's still around, as evidenced by http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...53&postcount=8

Yes RB, you are being stalked :rotfl:
Old 01-30-08, 01:13 PM   #445
mkubani
Lieutenant

Downloads: 0

Yep, I am waiting impatiently for Racerboy to make his great mod GWX 2.xx compatible.
mkubani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 10:54 PM   #446
sh3rules
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 24

I'm waiting too *cue in 40's song*

This mod will be a great addition.

sh3rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 11:08 PM   #447
miner1436
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 107

Where is Racerboy i wonder.
miner1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 11:29 PM   #448
Mil_tera
Loader

I hope he is working on one of his excellent mods...I haven't seen any reasons here on the board to make him mad.....

But I must admit I am getting a lil' worried here....

Old 02-03-08, 08:16 PM   #449
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 260
Uploads: 51

Yeah... me too! :hmm:
No news on RB yet?
CapZap
Old 02-03-08, 10:50 PM   #450
Mil_tera
Loader

Every time this threat is going back up I think its RB being back...

I really start to worry now....this is one of the Mods that would make the game almost complete..(in combination with GWX 2.01)

Doesn't anyone have any idea where RB is at?