SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-08, 07:09 PM   #436
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Don't worry Jim!!
I'm on it!!
Have even found a few short cuts!!

Old 10-02-08, 07:24 PM   #437
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

We're not going to be able to make the cattle roundup this time, the mosquitoes are extremely bad now, two weeks after Ike dumped a million bls of water across the Gulf Coast. They aren't bad in Pearland/Houston, because the city sprays, but out in the country you have to bath in repellent to go outside. Trust me.
Old 10-03-08, 03:10 AM   #438
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
We're not going to be able to make the cattle roundup this time, the mosquitoes are extremely bad now, two weeks after Ike dumped a million bls of water across the Gulf Coast. They aren't bad in Pearland/Houston, because the city sprays, but out in the country you have to bath in repellent to go outside. Trust me.
Are they worse than Minnesota mosquitoes? Because that would be bad!!
Old 10-03-08, 06:42 AM   #439
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
Are we still doing the ranch thing?
I can't wait to see Jimbuna do this:

:hmm: :hmm:
selling tickets now.
Only if we can video you doing your brokeback mountain impersonation with one of them steers

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 12:41 PM   #440
Iceman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

I am sorry to say I am not able to make this meeting with much regret.I was really looking forward to all of it.My marriage of 13 years is ending/ended and it seems very ugly.I will have to make a trip down to Texas on my own perhaps and visit the sub/dd/and battleship on my own to just feel good about my self I suppose with my son...anyways sorry to dump on you guys but I feel pretty crappy and you guys believe it or not have been like a family to me all of you and I miss ya guys.Talk to you guys later....I hope the event down there Neal goes well and will have to plan on the next one.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 01:12 PM   #441
Hanomag
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 13
Minnesota has mosquitoes?? :hmm:

"Only if I can save first..."
Hanomag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 01:47 PM   #442
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
Are we still doing the ranch thing?
I can't wait to see Jimbuna do this:

:hmm: :hmm:
selling tickets now.
Only if we can video you doing your brokeback mountain impersonation with one of them steers
Sounds like a deal then!:rotfl:
Old 10-03-08, 01:58 PM   #443
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanomag
Minnesota has mosquitoes?? :hmm:
We could make a gameshow of how long you can stay outside after twilight only wearing a swimming suit. $100 for every minute you can hack it out side.

On a side note, I did an experiment one time when i was in high school. Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2, so by my window a put a cointainer of baking soda and added some water and closed the window quickly. Within mnutes, there were hundreds of mosquitoes buzzing around the window!

so, yes MN has mosquitoes.
Old 10-03-08, 07:44 PM   #444
Hanomag
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 13
Yikes, well I had always hoped that mosquitoes would stay away from cooler climates. Ugh. I want to retire to Minnesota too. Guess I will pack up lots of Cutters.

"Only if I can save first..."
Hanomag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 07:57 PM   #445
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Looks something like this.

Old 10-03-08, 08:09 PM   #446
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
I am sorry to say I am not able to make this meeting with much regret.I was really looking forward to all of it.My marriage of 13 years is ending/ended and it seems very ugly.I will have to make a trip down to Texas on my own perhaps and visit the sub/dd/and battleship on my own to just feel good about my self I suppose with my son...anyways sorry to dump on you guys but I feel pretty crappy and you guys believe it or not have been like a family to me all of you and I miss ya guys.Talk to you guys later....I hope the event down there Neal goes well and will have to plan on the next one.
Sorry to hear that about your marriage. Hang in there, I know what you're dealing with, mate.
Old 10-04-08, 02:40 PM   #447
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Thursday from 5PM until 9PM, meet and greet at Rancho Subsim (Neal's house).
Directions to Rancho Subsim
You can click the Street View to see the neighborhood. Print this out and bring it with you if you are driving in.

The agenda is set for Friday and Sunday.

Bring a personal water bottle with you, this is a storm ravaged area so everyone should pack some water.

Friday, be at Neal's house by 0730, we will leave for San Jacinto Battleground park (30 minutes away) and assemble there at 0815 for the BB Texas tour. You can choose to attend the Hard Hat tour or simply take the general tour. I have spoken to most of the guys who are local and some of you have offered to help transport people. Thursday evening we can go over the options.

Saturday, we are scheduled to visit the USS Cavalla at Seawolf Park, and pitch in with some help there Sat morning.

The Lone Star Flight Museum updated their status yesterday and it looks as though they will not be ready by Oct 11. Their phone number is no longer working, so I have e-mailed them.

So, once we have the meet and greet here Thursday evening, we can discuss our agenda for Sat. I think we should decide as a group what we can do for the Saturday afternoon.

Some pictures of Cavalla and Seawolf Park: http://supertzar.net/gsp/default.aspx?aid=21

Information from the BB Texas people about the hard hat tour:

Quote:
Mr. Stevens,

On behalf of Stan Adams and myself, allow me to welcome you aboard the TEXAS and let you know how pleased we will be to guide your Hard Hat Tour on Friday, October 10. Stan and I will be your lead tour guides, and we will also have at least two other volunteers assisting us. We are all members of the First Texas Volunteers (FTV), the only volunteer group authorized by Texas Parks and Wildlife to serve aboard the ship.

Just want to provide a few tips to make your group’s visit more enjoyable. You probably have already received some or all of this information from Barbara Graf, but it bears repeating. Share this information as you feel appropriate:

Please plan to arrive on time (we are expecting the group to start at 0830) so we have sufficient time to access all of the spaces on the itinerary
Wear sturdy lace-up shoes
Bring a flashlight. All of the spaces we visit are usually lit, but Hurricane Ike may have created some issues. Also – there will be some dark corners you might want to peek into.
Bring gloves and a camera if you wish. If possible, use belt clips or shoulder straps (or big pockets) to keep your hands free for climbing.
We will navigate 34 ladders on the tour – individuals with mobility challenges must be aware of this.
People fearful of heights or confined spaces may also be challenged.

Our first concern is for your safety – and our second is to ensure y’all have a wonderful time and leave with a new – or renewed appreciation for the Battleship TEXAS and her place in history.
Stan and Barbie will be out of pocket this weekend, but feel free to call me or direct any questions you may have my way.
Again, we look forward to meeting you all next week. Travel safe.
Thank you!
John Stock
VP of Docents
First Texas Volunteers
713-775-2030
jstock2711@comcast.net

Stan Adams
VP of Restoration
First Texas Volunteers

Good news, I got a call from Gaido's Famous Seafood in Galveston and they are opening tomorrow.

Last, if you have a reservation with a hotel, call them and confirm the reservation, please. Several people have found out their motel/hotel is MIA and they have no room.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 10-05-08 at 10:12 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 05:43 PM   #448
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

i freakin' LOVE gaido's we used to fly down there in my buddy's cessna to eat lunch now and again, great food.

prepare for the best of the best gentlemen!

too bad hooters was blown off the face of the Earth

Booked my room, Best Value Inn on I-10 about 15 -20 minute drive from BB park but they gave me a good rate. (281-452-1000 press "0" for front desk)

How many firm commitments do we have?

looking forward to seeing you guys there!
Old 10-04-08, 06:10 PM   #449
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

We have 30 people attending at this point, and a few are bringing SOs or friends.
Old 10-04-08, 06:42 PM   #450
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The Grey Wolves will be in attendance....bring plenty of beer tokens

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote