Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-21-16, 01:06 PM   #31
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Just realised that somebody else was two days earlier than me. That is because initially I did not even knew it was a game, also I visit subsim game forum not that often. Sorry, did not want to steal somebody's credits for linking it first.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=225662
Nothing wrong with a bit of cross-posting, especially with this project, if it got the game even one more backer or supporter then it'll be worth it.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 05:41 AM   #32
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

TH&Q's three main consultants have all worked extensively with James Cameron in the past, on the movie and the subsequent documentaries he did. Maybe they could ask Cameron to hand out a million or two.

After all, the game will double as an educational tool, they plan to model nearly the whole ship.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 07:08 AM   #33
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
I would say that the ship started to break apart on the surface. I find it hard to believe that about a dozen survivors would testify seeing the ship break up, if it didn't.

I feel the same as you. I had posted in the forum a ways back that when I was in college, a friend was in law school and the professor staged a " crime " of some sort. The law class he was teaching witnessed this " crime " as well.

Afterwards, the class was directed to write down what they saw. My friend told me that the accounts varied widely.

The point was that you can have a number of people and to a degree, they will all see something different. I'm sure JimBuna, being in law enforcement, has probably seen the same thing. I'm also sure the expeditions by Ballard and others to Titanic was in part to scientifically confirm those accounts of the survivors.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 04-22-16 at 07:18 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 08:47 AM   #34
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
The point was that you can have a number of people and to a degree, they will all see something different.
Oh I agree. Eyewitness accounts can be extremely unreliable, especially the one's taken in everyday setting.
Old 04-22-16, 04:03 PM   #35
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

First time I heard about Titanic was when I was a young boy. Someone told me about the ship and how it hit an iceberg and went down. Later I borrowed some books in the library and was fascinated about the story and the black and white pictures-Forgive me I was just a little young lad-didn't really understand how people may have suffered before they died.

It was in one of these books I read about the possibility that the ship may have broken in half before it went down. Not in other books or documentaries about this ship and its disaster

We jump ahead some years-It was a Sunday. After the news on the Danish TV-there was a dramatization of a hearing that was held after the disaster.

The Movie Titanic-Some of the scenes made my wonder-'cause I could not recall there had been fired shot in the air etc.(or is it me who have forgot it in all these years)

I know that they had made a lots and a lots of research before making the film.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-16, 02:28 AM   #36
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Cameron's Titanic got a lot right, but what I didn't like was how Cameron chose to use his own personal opinion of what happened in the film (for example, Murdoch's suicide).

As for shots fired, 5th officer Lowe did fire his revolver as can be seen from the British Inquiry records:

Quote:
15855. There is just another thing I want to ask you. Did you use a revolver at all?
- I did.

15856. How was that?
- It was because while I was on the boat deck just as they had started to lower, two men jumped into my boat. I chased one out and to avoid another occurrence of that sort I fired my revolver as I was going down each deck, because the boat would not stand a sudden jerk. She was loaded already I suppose with about 64 people on her, and she would not stand any more.
Survivors say Murdoch and Lightoller used their revolvers as well, but that is hard to prove. Lightoller himself has said the revolver he had was not loaded.

Btw, some amazing person uploaded the full interview with Lightoller to youtube recorded in 1936:

Old 04-23-16, 05:44 AM   #37
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

[QUOTE=Dowly;2399349]Cameron's Titanic got a lot right, but what I didn't like was how Cameron chose to use his own personal opinion of what happened in the film (for example, Murdoch's suicide).

Btw, some amazing person uploaded the full interview with Lightoller to youtube recorded in 1936:

Thanks for posting the links to the interview of Lightoller .
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 05:00 PM   #38
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Default Titanic Sinking in Real Time-New Game

This is a must watch for any subsimmer who loves the great liners! Excellent project, and they have even hired Ken Marschall (the greatest Titanic painter) for consulting.....keep an eye on this game!
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 05:04 PM   #39
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

You missed it?
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=225697
Old 04-29-16, 05:12 PM   #40
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

First time i thought "a bit boring".

Now i have seen it three times or more, if picking out this and that event. Very well made, i think. And so sad to see.

I just don't get why the first command is "turn to starboard", and then the ship turns to port??
When they are half acoss the iceberg, the command is "turn to port", and the ship turns to starboard. Hmm.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 05:43 PM   #41
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Beaten to the punch. Can you please delete thread?
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 08:59 PM   #42
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I just don't get why the first command is "turn to starboard", and then the ship turns to port??
When they are half acoss the iceberg, the command is "turn to port", and the ship turns to starboard. Hmm.
i had that same question when I saw the big-budget movie. It turns out that it was a hold-over from the early sailing-ship days, when they still used tillers. When the order "Hard a' Starboard" is given, it refers to the tiller, which moves the opposite direction from the rudder. The helmsman knows to turn the wheel to port, which drives the tiller to starboard and the rudder to port. Confusing to us today, but instinctive to sailors at the time.
http://kakopa.com/sailing/titanic_mistake.htm

According to this source the convention was changed in 1933.
http://www.titanicebook.com/wheel.html
Old 04-29-16, 09:02 PM   #43
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Beaten to the punch. Can you please delete thread?
Merged them instead.
Old 04-29-16, 09:55 PM   #44
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Year or so back trash papers (dailymail etc.) were running an article saying that mis-command sank the Titanic, but as Steve said, that was how commands were given back then.

Similar to how you turn an outboard engine today, you turn the handle to the right and the boat goes left.
Old 04-30-16, 06:03 AM   #45
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
i had that same question when I saw the big-budget movie. It turns out that it was a hold-over from the early sailing-ship days, when they still used tillers. When the order "Hard a' Starboard" is given, it refers to the tiller, which moves the opposite direction from the rudder. The helmsman knows to turn the wheel to port, which drives the tiller to starboard and the rudder to port. Confusing to us today, but instinctive to sailors at the time.
http://kakopa.com/sailing/titanic_mistake.htm

According to this source the convention was changed in 1933.
http://www.titanicebook.com/wheel.html
Thanks very much, for the explanation!

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
titanic