SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-10, 09:40 AM   #31
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248
Uploads: 0

Hey guys,

I'm afraid I'll have to postpone the release of this for at least a week. Real life has stomped all over my PC time and I've got to go away for a few days to sort out some business so I'm not sure when I can finish it up.

That's the bad news. The good news is that thanks to Flakmonkey, I have now managed to get all the lights looking good with the ribbed glass effect that was originally missing from all compartments bar the Conning Tower. I'd like to publicly thank FM for that and also DD, lucagaeta and FM for giving me the go ahead to release. The only thing with the new textures is that they lower the luminescence of the halo, which kinda mucks up my original light settings but it's fixable by adjusting the values again to counter the effect.

To sum up, I need to spend a little longer to tweak the mod and get it back to the levels seen in the screenshots. It shouldn't be too hard a task but due to RL commitments it's only fair I postpone until I can put the time in rather than rush it and have people notice bugs I should have gotten rid off myself.

I hope you guys don't mind keeping your sunglasses on in your sub a little while longer...

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 02:09 PM   #32
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Rome wasn't built in a day and real life must come first. Just keep up the good work as and when you can. You'll get there!

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 02:38 AM   #33
Rolf Eschke
Lieutenant

Downloads: 60

Nice work ,Thanks !
Rolf Eschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 05:56 AM   #34
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@Damo

Excellent mod Damo, very excellent indeed. Anything that adds to the atmosphere is a welcome addition.

I'm just wondering....is it possible to have a blue light just in the coning tower ?
Old 03-18-10, 05:37 PM   #35
Damo
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber View Post
@Damo

Excellent mod Damo, very excellent indeed. Anything that adds to the atmosphere is a welcome addition.

I'm just wondering....is it possible to have a blue light just in the coning tower ?

Ok, here's the problem with this. The answer is yes and no. In the first version I'm releasing it is to be used over FM Interiors and lucagaeta's Open Conning Tower mods. With this incarnation the CT is linked to the CR and as a result, the CT takes it's lighting settings from the CR, so in that case, it is not possible except by using blue for the entire interior. As blue was used in Das Boot for immersion only, and not as a historic feature, i.e. U-Boats never used blue lighting, I'm not willing to use blue predominantly in this mod. It is however, editable via S3D very easily if you choose to do so and I can direct you on that after the mod is released.

Now, I said yes and no didn't I? The No is covered. In other versions of my mod, like the stock interiors, OH 3.09 and the other U-Boats, it will be possible to have red light in the CR and blue in the CT. This is because the CR and CT are not linked and the ambient lighting can be set independently. However, this is something I'm willing to provide guidance on only as it will not be a feature of my mod due to the historical inaccuracy. You might want to look up Raptor's Das Boot Interior as that uses the blue lights I believe. Personally, I didn't like the bright, almost xenon effect of the bulbs in his mod but having seen Das Boot, I can see the effect he has gone for and it works well, just for a realist like me, it doesn't fit my game.

I'm going to try and cater for everybody and the versions / mods they use, but I won't do anything that didn't exist in the real life U-Boats.

Hope this makes everything clear.

Old 03-20-10, 11:05 AM   #36
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Many thanks for your excellent and informative reply Damo
Old 03-22-10, 07:46 PM   #37
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78

Any news on this? Not that im impatient but i cant keep these shades on forever
Old 03-23-10, 10:13 AM   #38
Damo
Captain

I'm still away from home ATM, back on thursday, I hope to get a release out by the middle of next week. Things have been hectic....

Old 04-06-10, 02:54 PM   #39
R3D
Gunner

Downloads: 88

looks awesome, easerly awaiting !!
R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 04:05 PM   #40
brett25
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 570

why not release what you have and then make versions, alot of people work that way, myself included.I think your early versions are still a big improvement.
brett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-10, 10:41 PM   #41
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Any news?

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 01:02 AM   #42
Damo
Captain

Three words:

Hard

Drive

Failure

Back to square one as far as the mod goes but it won't take long to get back up to speed. Problem there is, work is hectic at the moment with me regularly putting in 10+ hours a day so I've not even had the time to download and install all the mods again myself let alone open the game up. Luckily, I still have the texture maps that Flakmonkey helpfully provided as they were on a flashdrive from where I transferred them from my lappie to my desktop so I don't need to pester for them again.

I've given my old drive to my mate who reckons he might be able to retrieve some of the data off it but I'm going on the assumption that it won't happen. Hell, I was itching to reinstall windows anyway...

I'll update when I get some PC time.

Old 04-15-10, 08:38 PM   #43
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo View Post
Three words:

Hard

Drive

Failure

Back to square one as far as the mod goes but it won't take long to get back up to speed. Problem there is, work is hectic at the moment with me regularly putting in 10+ hours a day so I've not even had the time to download and install all the mods again myself let alone open the game up. Luckily, I still have the texture maps that Flakmonkey helpfully provided as they were on a flashdrive from where I transferred them from my lappie to my desktop so I don't need to pester for them again.

I've given my old drive to my mate who reckons he might be able to retrieve some of the data off it but I'm going on the assumption that it won't happen. Hell, I was itching to reinstall windows anyway...

I'll update when I get some PC time.
Three letters OMG!!
I have a file called lamps models.7z, not sure where it came from, so much happening lately, is this yours?
Hope you get things sorted out soon, I recommend you invest in Norton Ghost, been where you have and never again! Good Luck!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 12:34 AM   #44
Damo
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I have a file called lamps models.7z, not sure where it came from, so much happening lately, is this yours?
That's the file that Flakmonkey posted up for me, applying the ribbed bulb textures to all the lamps. It's ok, I have that as it was on my flashdrive. Thanks anyway.

Well, 6.30am and I'm about to go to work, probably won't be home until after 8pm Thank God I've got a long weekend off.

Although I've got family commitments so still won't get any PC time in.

Gonna do the lottery.....