SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-01-09, 11:44 AM   #31
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default corner the market

[quote=Nicolas;1126891]Im going down: what you mean 'corner the market'?
Next time try firing at a convoy 2 or 3 ships in 1 attack
]

It is a joke. In stock market parlance it refers to controling all sources of supply. When the holders of stock options haves to exercise them or let the options lapse, they must be purchased from the individual who controls the sources (ie. has cornered the market), meaning the seller can set the price. Thus, the persons holding the options are "in a corner" because they must purchase from the seller at whatever price he asks or they lose their options to buy. If you corner the market for the mod, you could sell it for a handsome profit.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 01:20 PM   #32
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrgn View Post
Not much of poster here mainly a reader and mod leech , but the problem others are having not getting this to work is easily solved and my mouth refuses to stay silent (no pun intended).

Dial 14 is loading the command "Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow" first on some configs, i play GFO atm not sure if this fix applies to TMO or RFB, ill let others take a look. Just comment out that command on dial 14 (as below) before you apply post #13s step by step.

[Dial14]
Name=Sol_Angonbow
Type=27; DIAL_SOL_ANGONBOW
;Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow
Dial=0x3B0F00FF
CrtVal=0x3B0F0001
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=-180,180
RealVal=-180,180; degrees
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
SndStep=5
SndList=1,Menu.TDC.AngleOnBow,360

Thanks for finding this gents, truly awesome find

-depthdragon
Not sure if I should cry or celebrate. This, indeed, is probably what I had wrong (I say "probably" because I uninstalled the game and have yet to reinstall it to test this change). I assume the correction is to disable the "Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow" command for dial 14 by adding the semi-colon ... something I needed to do.

ddrgn, I also noticed your post below ... not sure if it means you can now make the target heading change even with PK on. Or does it mean you can now insert target heading and speed directly to the TDC after getting an estimate (clicking on the little stopwatch)?
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 01:50 PM   #33
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 4

I see, well i corner this way: Anyone can use this mod or part of it, if it given proper credit to the author. Should be enough cornering?, just thinking about many mods that came out after someone had an idea, i think stole ideas is worst than copy code. If you have an idea you can make it code, if you do not have the idea, well, code/mod can't be done.
So, i corner more adding: if someone make a mod based on this work must give proper credit..
Just talking... because for the good of the comunity i dont care much, along many other people that work hard making the games better
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 02:39 PM   #34
SteveUK
Helmsman

Downloads: 87

Hi this is most likely a totally stupid question but how do I open the dials.cfg file? I dont get an option to open it and i really need the help of this mod . Thanks
SteveUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 03:14 PM   #35
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Not sure if I should cry or celebrate. This, indeed, is probably what I had wrong (I say "probably" because I uninstalled the game and have yet to reinstall it to test this change). I assume the correction is to disable the "Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow" command for dial 14 by adding the semi-colon ... something I needed to do.

ddrgn, I also noticed your post below ... not sure if it means you can now make the target heading change even with PK on. Or does it mean you can now insert target heading and speed directly to the TDC after getting an estimate (clicking on the little stopwatch)?
With the speed dial fix I added to the AOB fix by Nicolas, you can drag the speed dial and the gyro angle will change at the same time on the PK. Basically you can now see the gyro angle move as you set the solution.

You will need to enter range or aob data in the TDC before you will see the PK gyro angle move.

Just a truly awesome find by Nicolas!

Oh and the dials.cfg can be found in at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Menu\cfg

edit it with notepad

-depthdragon

Last edited by ddrgn; 07-01-09 at 03:57 PM.
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 02:05 AM   #36
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default To Mr. Niclolas.

How is this for a convoy attack? I attacked a task force convoy during a single mission. It was at night, and very low visibility. I could not get close enough to correctly measure the aspect ratio using the stadimeter, so I spun the stadimeter dial to what I approximated (e.g. guessed) was the closest position to line up the respective shadow target's keel with the target's mast (I am playing TMO/RSRDC.) I believe the targets were roughly 1,000 yards away, at various torpedo angles. As soon as I fired at the first target I pivioted the periscope to my next target, and so on. I fired in the following order: two shots at a light cruiser, two shots at a heavy cruiser and two at a Kongo. I could not see the torpedoes running, and as soon as I shot at the light cruiser, I moved om to the to the heavy cruiser and then to the Kongo. I hit the heavy cruiser and the Kongo. I did not see the torpedoes hit or see any explosions on impact, but the heavy cruiser blew up after it sunk, and then I heard a loud explosion. The Kongo did not sink. It was darn near shooting blind, as I never had a good look at the targets.

I was being bombarded with depth charges when I spied a Yamato and shortly thereafter, I saw a Ise. I swung around to take shots with my aft torpedeos, but it was all for naught because depth charges had knocked out the aft torpedoes.

Summary: Task force attack, very dark and no moon, after midnight, weather clear, calm seas; visibility was poor at 1,000 yds. 6 shots on three boats; two shots sunk a heavy cruiser weighing over 9,000 tons, and two hit a BB. Two missed shots directed at a light cruiser. Task force course determined by Nicoloas's easy AoB, and its speed was approximatley 16.5 kts.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 07-02-09 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-02-09, 02:51 AM   #37
SteveUK
Helmsman

Downloads: 87

Thanks depthdragon for the heads up on how to open the file can't wait till I get home to try this . And thanks to Nicolas of course for modding this
Steve
SteveUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 07:33 PM   #38
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1

Quote:
With the speed dial fix I added to the AOB fix by Nicolas, you can drag the speed dial and the gyro angle will change at the same time on the PK. Basically you can now see the gyro angle move as you set the solution.
I'm still not sure how this works ... but I've copied your instructions and will mod the "Dials" file accordingly. In game, I should be able to figure out what's what. And thanks, again, for pointing out the problem with Dial 14 ... I, too, needed to disable it. (I'm not sure why it was already disabled for other players.)
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 03:00 AM   #39
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I was bored and intrigued by this quick fix which has gone unnoticed for 2 years, and as I was looking at the dials page noticed you can change the speed the same way as Nicolas's AOB fix. So here is steps to change the targets speed which will move the gyro angle on the PK as well.

1) Add another dial to your dial number as the same with the AOB fix above, in my case its was 75

[DIALS]
DialsNo=xx

--------------

2) Replace or comment out "Cmd=Set_tgt_sel_value;" shared between dials and add Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed, on dial 57.

[Dial57]
Name=TorpedoSolution_Temporary_Speed
Type=69; DIAL_TGT_SPEED
Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed
;Cmd=Set_tgt_sel_value; shared between dials
Dial=0x43020002
CrtVal=0x43020003
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=0.01,-8.78; 360/41
RealVal=0,40; knots
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
RelativeDrag=Yes
SndStep=5

--------------

3) Comment out "Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed" in dial #15

[Dial15]
Name=Sol_Speed
Type=28; DIAL_SOL_SPEED
;Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed
Dial=0x3B1000FF
CrtVal=0x3B100001
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=15,345
RealVal=0,55; knots
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
SndStep=1
SndList=1,Menu.TDC.Speed,55

--------------

4) Add (paste) this new dial to the end with xx being your new number in my case it was 75.

[Dialxx]
Type=69; DIAL_TGT_SPEED
Cmd=Set_tgt_sel_value; shared between dials
Dial=0x43020002
CrtVal=0x43020003
NewVal=0x0
RealVal=0,40; knots
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
RelativeDrag=Yes
SndStep=5

*You can comment or replace the commands as you see fit. I prefer to comment out as if i need to revert back i have the command there already.

Enjoy! And thanks again Nicolas for getting my mind going on this one, may open some doors to opening some new functionality sorely missing from SH4.

-depthdragon

I was able to install Mr. Nicolas' mod, but not your speed dial fix. I can only do basic reprogramming, i.e. cut and paste stuff. Here are my questions. Replace means "remove and replace." What does "comment out" mean? I am not familiar with that term.

Are you instructing us to replace Dial 57 with the data included in your post re that dial?

What does comment out Dial 15 mean? After it is commented out, do we replace Dial 15 by copying from the data re that dial that is included in your post? What is the difference between replacing and commenting out?

Adding Dial74 does not appear to be a problem.

Do we make these adjustment before or after installing Nicholas' mod?

The first time I tried you mod, the speed dial worked but Nicholas' mod stopped working? Both mods should work, right? I play TMO/RSRDC.

Nicolas' mod works on FOTRS.

Hopefully, someone should combine both of your mods into one - A Super Easy AoB/Speed dials mod, and provide us with step by step instructions on installing it.
Old 07-03-09, 03:08 AM   #40
Nicolas
Commander

I made a version that can be downloaded, with a tool that make the changes in the file for you, it's only needed to copy the new Dials.cfg created. See the 'Readme' file:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SBN3NQ0D
I hope it helps Munchausen.

Last edited by Nicolas; 07-03-09 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-03-09, 05:12 AM   #41
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

If Nicolas gives permission I can combine both mods to be JSGME ready and release here.

I looked at TMO and RFB dials tonight and see that both supermods should comment out the "Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow" command on Dial14 for AOB fix and "
Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed" on Dial15 for speed/torpgyro fix to get them working. A JSGME mod should work with GF, TMO and RFB with one version and no mod compatible issues. I'll check and confirm it works with all mods before releasing.

If you (all) want me to go further (with Nicolas's permission to combine the mods) I will, and upload a version here for download.

As to avoid confusion and show what these fixes actually do, below is a Fraps video you can see which highlights both mods working at the same time.

http://www.archrow.net/misc/aob_speed_fix_example.wmv

(12mb wmv file, personal site of mine)

I like calling this a fix, as I believe the functionality should be there. The captain would always know his heading, so knowing the targets heading would give you AOB. As for leading the torpedoes gyro angle with my speed fix, all control is for the better.

To explain my toprpedo gyro addition to this mod and how to enter it manually, I add the following:

Ok, my apologies, my instructions could have been better. Here is a toned down version minus a step which was not needed.

1) First, find the file dials.cfg in your C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Menu\cfg folder. Secondly, and as with Nicolas's AOB mod, you need to add another dial to your dials.cfg by increasing the # of dials you have. Keep in mind the dial "0" counts as one so if you had 0-73 dials you actually have 74. If your "DialsNo" is currently 74 you need to change it to 75 for this mod.

[DIALS]
DialsNo=xx
(xx=which ever number of dials you have)

2) Find [Dial15] in your dials.cfg. Comment out "Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed" by adding a ";" in front like so and as per below: ";Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed"

[Dial15]
Name=Sol_Speed
Type=28; DIAL_SOL_SPEED
Dial=0x3B1000FF
CrtVal=0x3B100001
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=15,345
RealVal=0,55; knots
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
SndStep=1
SndList=1,Menu.TDC.Speed,55

3) Add (copy & paste from the below text) this new dial to the end with xx being your new number in my case it was 75.

[Dialxx] (xx=new dial number e.g [Dial75])
Type=69; DIAL_TGT_SPEED
Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed
Dial=0x43020002
CrtVal=0x43020003
NewVal=0x0
RealVal=0,40; knots
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
RelativeDrag=Yes
SndStep=5

Let me know how I should move forward with a compatible JSGME mod, I would be happy to do it. This is fun, the most postings I have done in 4 years being on the board!

ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 10:55 AM   #42
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
Ok... this mod, when the position keeper auto is off and you move the aob dial, the other aob dial in the PK will be moved too.
For those who doesnt know, when you click the clock icon to get speed, it gives you the course too. You can match the aob in the PK with the course of the target.

Very cool, have you added this to the Downloads section here? Let me know if you need help.

Neal
Old 07-03-09, 12:08 PM   #43
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Mr. Nicolas

Out of respect and awe for the Easy AoB mod, I now refer to Nicolas as "Mr. Nicolas."

Here are a couple of suggestions.

Follow Neal Stevens advise re downloading the mod in the Downloads section, as he is a (if not, the) Subsim leader.

Also, you may want to arrange for the download link to be to FileFont, as that is what seems to be the most common download site used by forum members.

I cannot speak for Mr. Nicolas, who is Guatemala [a long way from port], but ddrgn's offer to combine the Easy AoB Mod with the speed dial mod seems like a very good idea. Perhaps they should exchange messages and if an agreement is reached, then do what is necessary to combine the mod? They will have to agree on a name for the mod, but I think sticking with the Easy AoB Mod is appropriate because captains are familiar with that name already, and because the speed adjustment was initially posted within the Easy AoB Mod thread. Combining efforts to improve the game seems to be a characteristic of modders (i.e. RFB Team).

Both Mr. Nicolas and ddrgn should be creidited for their work on a combined mod, should pass "Go", collect $200, and go straight to the Hall of Fame (rather than jail.) A combined mod would improve upon what is already a magnificent piece of work, and would demonstrate a conceptual knowledge of the interrelationship of speed, torpedo angles, aspect ratios, computer programing and past attack techiques ushered in by Rockin Robbins, Werner Sobe and Hitman, with the perception that many captains are frustrated wihen all of their efforts to sink a ship go for naught as a result of the contstant adjustments required to to be made to the stadimeter.

I see that the thread has been getting around 100 hits a day, so the word is getting out. I compare using this mod to graduating from a Buick to a Ferarri. For a newbie, using the mod is akin to switching from a donkey to an Indy 500 race car. (If many captains begin to use it soon the Japanese will not have a Navy!)

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 07-03-09 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 12:47 PM   #44
Nicolas
Commander

About the download section, i sent a private message asking access to upload the mod yesterday, i don't know how to do it, help will be apreciated .
All my filefront files are gone... i don't want to upload to that site right now.

The combimod, i don't have any trouble, you can use the mod. But i prefer sending speed like it is now, so should be a separated download. ddrgn you have my permission; all have permission to use this mod like i said.

Last edited by Nicolas; 07-03-09 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 01:00 PM   #45
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default note to ddgrn

Note to ddrgn: the Easy AoB mod works with TMO/RSRDC and FOTRS. However, I have not verified if the stand alone speed adjusment mod works with those, as I screwed up when I tried to install it. If the mods are combined, which could be soon, I will try a reinstall.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 07-03-09 at 03:08 PM.