SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-25-16, 10:49 AM   #406
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

The way I had strikes was, that as soon as one province stopped another flamed up. So I suggest we wait so I can see if a strike will stop and if another one will begin.

When it comes to option 2, I'd rather give smaller nations with large resource locations some private capital and mfg goods, to start building sites to infuse the market with goods.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 01:47 PM   #407
Respenus
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betonov View Post
Here's a question: are strikes predetermined in lenght, maybe the contentment raise worked but strikes need to last at least (x) turns and would eventually stop.
As far as I know (or as far as the manual explains things), each social contentment modifier (positive or negative) is linked to the contentment level, meaning that technically strikes can last forever if contentment is too low. This is also the reason why I proposed raising it in the first place, as it did not occur to me that other in-game mechanisms might be linked it to. It is also for this reason that I proposed giving luxury goods, as I know their sale on the national market increases contentment.

Quote:
When it comes to option 2, I'd rather give smaller nations with large resource locations some private capital and mfg goods, to start building sites to infuse the market with goods.
You are far too optimistic when it comes to the AI of smaller nations. China could be the world's silk exporter (despite its civil war), but it does not do anything. I also think that behaviour is to a certain extent scripted; plus in order to simulate interests of powerful states, local resources are not fully exploited so that European countries plus USA can build their plantations/mines there. Adding the buildings themselves might be more useful, but that does not differ much from just giving troubled nations luxury goods for sale.

Respenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 06:46 AM   #408
Betonov
Navy Seal

Oh look, all those soldiers and I can't send them to restore riots

Old 08-03-16, 08:02 AM   #409
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

They probably are the riots.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 11:47 AM   #410
Betonov
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
They probably are the riots.
If 200+ regiments went rioting then it would look like an asteroid fell on Europe.
Old 08-04-16, 05:30 AM   #411
Respenus
Ace of the Deep

Your soldiers could do something about those riots, if you did not keep all of them massed in Milan and Venice. Sardinia-Piedmont is in no position to threaten Austria and right now, keeping things under control is more important than fighting some imagined conflict.

Old 08-04-16, 08:48 AM   #412
Betonov
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respenus View Post
Your soldiers could do something about those riots, if you did not keep all of them massed in Milan and Venice. Sardinia-Piedmont is in no position to threaten Austria and right now, keeping things under control is more important than fighting some imagined conflict.

I know about the police value in units, but I have 3 Gendarmerie units plus a cavalry brigade parked in Wien and nothing has been done there.

Maybe I'll park a corps in Maribor and see what happens
Old 08-06-16, 02:33 PM   #413
Respenus
Ace of the Deep

Well, count on the Italians to screw over Europe (and in our case, the world).

After spending summer and autumn on Sicily, Garibaldi finally decided to capture Palermo and move north. Unfortunately, while the next script in the process fired fine, thus creating a new Garibaldi army in Calabria, the previous script designed to delete the original Sicilian expedition has/had a fatal flaw.

After several hours of testing, I came to the realisation that the necessary unit deletion command does not recognise units with the REB tag, meaning that all scripts based on these two elements result in massive problems. How or why this happened is beyond me; it is also the first time I have seen it, even when reading about other people's playthroughs. I can delete major faction and subfaction units, but rebels are beyond the game's reach.

Because of this, there are now two rebel Garibaldi's running across southern Italy, Sicily is back in the hands of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies (although I own the resources buildings) and the garrison that was supposed to prevent that was teleported to Tunisia (probably because of the presence of a massive rebel army and because the developers did not make it appear inside the city). Consequently, what was supposed to be a simple, by the book unification of Italy, has suddenly gone FUBAR.

Thankfully, my testing has not been to no avail and I have found that it is possible to delete REB units by using the "Enemy" attribute, rather than the faction tag (Rebels are always the enemy, so this simplifies things a little).

However, since this would be a big modification of the state of the world, I first require your consent to do the following: destroy the original Sicilian Garibaldi, redeclare Sicily Italian, destroy the teleported garrison and recreate it back where it belongs (before you ask, there is a command to move units, but I was unable to find an example in the game event files). Raptor would also have to change the unit deletion command attributes in one additional script command chain, so that next time, Garibaldi will disappear for sure.

---

Italian misfortune, however, appears to be the joy of the French and the Austrians, with workers suddenly returning to work (or just content with some small demonstrations and minor strikes). While I cannot claim any responsibility, it does appear that having two Garibaldi's to worry about, has been enough to convince Austrian workers that they should get back to the job of defending the Empire, which in its gratitude, will decide not to pursue war with the ailing Kingdom of Two Sicilies, right?

Old 08-06-16, 03:22 PM   #414
Betonov
Navy Seal

So with Garibaldis ascention to a higher plane it means there's no more movement in the Kingdom of two Sicilies which takes away any diplomatic event chains for Italian unification.
I mean, I'm not a competetive ass and I preffer a challenge with a strong Italy ready to stab my back so I have no joy in this.

But I vote YES, I trust you know what you're doing.
Old 08-06-16, 04:03 PM   #415
Respenus
Ace of the Deep

In the interest of honesty, leaving things as they are will mean that some time in the future, if the AI moves its ass, and if Garibaldi can defeat the local Sicilian forces (which should also have been deleted) and capture Napoli, the historical Italian unification chain will be completed.

Unfortunately, due to the problem with the select/kill unit command, there will be two, fully armed and pissed of Garibaldis running around southern Italy, making them very difficult to defeat. Even if we correct the future event to properly delete the second Garibaldi army, there will still be a Garibaldi in Sicily.

So technically, we can do nothing and I will have a major pain in the behind to deal with before I can start causing trouble around the world. I welcome any challenge, which is why the decision is left to the other players. Of course, if the game screws up for another player, I will be the first to recommend that we script our way out of it (like we did with the contentment problem).

Old 08-06-16, 04:21 PM   #416
Betonov
Navy Seal

Can't we leave the two Garibaldis to run around and do their thing and then send a coalition force down south. Some Austrian corps need practice
Old 08-06-16, 04:44 PM   #417
Respenus
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Can't we leave the two Garibaldis to run around and do their thing and then send a coalition force down south. Some Austrian corps need practice
Your request can be arranged, but it will come at a price. Please, come join me this dark all...hmm...I mean brightly lit hall to discuss our business transaction.

Last edited by Respenus; 08-06-16 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-07-16, 05:34 AM   #418
Betonov
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respenus View Post
Your request can be arranged, but it will come at a price. Please, come join me this dark all...hmm...I mean brightly lit hall to discuss our business transaction.
I see you're an Italian so I'll give you some basic economy lessons:

the one that provides the services, in this case Austria sending troops to supress rebelions, is the one that gets payed by the one that uses said services
Old 08-07-16, 06:00 AM   #419
Respenus
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
The one that provides the services, in this case Austria sending troops to supress rebelions, is the one that gets payed by the one that uses said services
Ah, you see, the service provided is an opportunity to train Austrian troops, not Austrians coming down to stop a rebellion. Yes, the same way Italian banks are perfectly fine, no bad debt at all, you see, it is Deutsche Bank that is in trouble, not our fine medieval banks

Old 08-07-16, 08:04 AM   #420
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

King Friedrich Wilhelm IV has died age 65

A sad day for the Prussian Kingdom as our king passed away aged 65, a life who saw the revolutions of 1848 where after having put himself up front of the movement pushed forth for a German unification, a liberal governement created and a constition drawn up. He'll be missed by many Prussian and hopefully his brother Wilhem I who now sits on the throne of Prussia will keep up the legacy and make Prussia strong!

Gott schützen den König!