SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-20-08, 04:10 AM   #4036
SirHiggins
Seaman

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 0

Not really found IIRC, but found only OLCE, but it's not water color change only sun reflections etc. Markhimov (sic) made some about the med water, but it's not downloadable, or i can't find living link to it, any help? thx
SirHiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 08:04 AM   #4037
pianist
Swabbie

Downloads: 28

Maybe this has already been brought up and somehow resolved, but I was unable to find any information with my searches. Is anyone else having problems with the TDC gyro angle not matching the periscope or UZO bearings? I've tested this on both the TDC screen and the periscope / UZO screens, and the result is always the same - with all other data cleared from the TDC, the bearing does not match the gyro angle.

When looking straight ahead (000), the two figures do match. But turn 30 degrees either way, and the discrepancy is 5 degrees (so 30 degrees reports a gyro angle of 35 degrees). At 50 degrees, the discrepancy is 10 degrees (so if I'm looking at 50 degrees, the gyro angle is reported as 60). At 80 degrees on the periscope, the gyro angle gets stuck at 94 degrees and remains stuck until I'm looking at about 105, and the gyro angle instantly leaps to 123 degrees (so it's actually impossible to get any reading between 94 and 123 degrees. Looking at 180 degrees, there is now a 20 degree discrepancy between the gyro angle and the bearing.

In the stock version, if my TDC was empty of all data and on auto control, if I aimed at 30 degrees and fired, the gyro angle would be 30. If I aimed at 60, the gyro angle would be 60. This affects both blind firing and notepad-generated solutions, so it seems to be a problem with the TDC computer itself, not with the data entry. Simply put, the TDC gyro dial is turning at a slightly faster rate than the bearing dial is. Is it a bug or a feature? If it's a bug, has anyone found a way to fix it?

I have GWX 2.1 with only the Enhanced Damage Effects mod installed. I'm using SH3 Commander and did install the necessary update files. This was a clean install and a new career. I noticed the problem immediately.

Last edited by pianist; 12-21-08 at 08:12 AM.
pianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 09:01 AM   #4038
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianist
Maybe this has already been brought up and somehow resolved, but I was unable to find any information with my searches. Is anyone else having problems with the TDC gyro angle not matching the periscope or UZO bearings? I've tested this on both the TDC screen and the periscope / UZO screens, and the result is always the same - with all other data cleared from the TDC, the bearing does not match the gyro angle.

When looking straight ahead (000), the two figures do match. But turn 30 degrees either way, and the discrepancy is 5 degrees (so 30 degrees reports a gyro angle of 35 degrees). At 50 degrees, the discrepancy is 10 degrees (so if I'm looking at 50 degrees, the gyro angle is reported as 60). At 80 degrees on the periscope, the gyro angle gets stuck at 94 degrees and remains stuck until I'm looking at about 105, and the gyro angle instantly leaps to 123 degrees (so it's actually impossible to get any reading between 94 and 123 degrees. Looking at 180 degrees, there is now a 20 degree discrepancy between the gyro angle and the bearing.

In the stock version, if my TDC was empty of all data and on auto control, if I aimed at 30 degrees and fired, the gyro angle would be 30. If I aimed at 60, the gyro angle would be 60. This affects both blind firing and notepad-generated solutions, so it seems to be a problem with the TDC computer itself, not with the data entry. Simply put, the TDC gyro dial is turning at a slightly faster rate than the bearing dial is. Is it a bug or a feature? If it's a bug, has anyone found a way to fix it?

I have GWX 2.1 with only the Enhanced Damage Effects mod installed. I'm using SH3 Commander and did install the necessary update files. This was a clean install and a new career. I noticed the problem immediately.
maybe the tdc doesn't have any problem at aiming but i believe that the dials IMAGE needs fixing (have notice it too). can be fixed
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 10:06 AM   #4039
Trygvasson
Seaman

Downloads: 12

Could this have anything to do with the fact that the torpedo needs time to turn before reaching your bearing? If you aim at a target 2k away and 90 degrees to stb your torpedo gyro angle will be somewhat greater than 90, to compensate for turn radius...
Trygvasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 01:27 PM   #4040
Able72
Captain

Downloads: 299

Ok, I can't find it. When was the official announcement of GWX 3.0 made? I've gotten the rumor that it will be released on Christmas eve, or Christmas day but where is the official announcement from the Grey Wolves?

thanks in advance
Old 12-21-08, 02:21 PM   #4041
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 is indeed scheduled for a xmas eve release, but that is totally dependent on everything running smooth and without any hitches

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 02:35 PM   #4042
SeaWolf U-57
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 92

May the spirit of the wolf travel true and speedily along my broadband conection on the 24th
SeaWolf U-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 03:32 PM   #4043
pianist
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94
maybe the tdc doesn't have any problem at aiming but i believe that the dials IMAGE needs fixing (have notice it too). can be fixed
Ah, so it's not just me. That'll save me a re-install.
Old 12-21-08, 03:39 PM   #4044
pianist
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trygvasson
Could this have anything to do with the fact that the torpedo needs time to turn before reaching your bearing? If you aim at a target 2k away and 90 degrees to stb your torpedo gyro angle will be somewhat greater than 90, to compensate for turn radius...
That's an interesting theory - but in testing, the shots are aimed too far behind the target, even if accounting for turning time. A 5 degree deflection is way too much for firing at a target that is only 30 degrees to starboard. And it certainly doesn't explain the glitchiness where you get those gaps where the gyro angle doesn't move at all, then suddenly skips ahead again.

To be honest, you've got to be silly or desperate to be firing at targets with more than a 60 degree deflection, so I'm not bothered by the problems when you reach extreme ranges. But I very often fire at targets with a 30 degree deflection, especially when I'm attacking multiple targets in a convoy. I guess the solution would be to turn the boat to get the gyro angle as close to 0 as possible before firing.

In the end, it's a small gripe about an otherwise FANTASTIC mod. What this team has done with the game is simply incredible! It is one of the finest and most comprehensive mods I've ever seen for a game.

Last edited by pianist; 12-21-08 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-21-08, 04:14 PM   #4045
geosub1978
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 229

Guys there are two cases:

1st. If you fire a torpedo at about 20deg gyro angle, you don't have to bother about anything, the diference in deflection would be about 1 degree for average speed targets.

2nd. If you have to fire with greater gyro angle, then you have to take into consideration, other two facts:
a. Turning radius of the torpedo.
b. Distance of the target. Try to do adjustments in TDC with 50 degrees relative bearing and various distances. You will see that the gyro angle has great diffrences.

Finally, to my understanding, the acceleration time of the torpedo has much to do if the target is more than 1600-1800meters away. ALWAYS BOW CAPS OPEN!

After all in a salvo firing, if your scope points in the middle of the target, then the 2nd and 3rd torpedo will be much delayed and the spread angle has to be wisely chosen.

I will update my post.
Old 12-21-08, 06:30 PM   #4046
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 116

To all.

We've been busy as hell to make our deadline or more would be posted regarding the 3.0 Gold build.

Illness has kept me out of the wheelhouse for a few days. Hitting that deadline is going to be very hard... and as always, we will not guarantee it.

I'll post more about it when it is time.

Until then, we are saying nothing more.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 07:26 PM   #4047
pianist
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosub1978
Guys there are two cases:

1st. If you fire a torpedo at about 20deg gyro angle, you don't have to bother about anything, the diference in deflection would be about 1 degree for average speed targets.

2nd. If you have to fire with greater gyro angle, then you have to take into consideration, other two facts:
a. Turning radius of the torpedo.
b. Distance of the target. Try to do adjustments in TDC with 50 degrees relative bearing and various distances. You will see that the gyro angle has great diffrences.

Finally, to my understanding, the acceleration time of the torpedo has much to do if the target is more than 1600-1800meters away. ALWAYS BOW CAPS OPEN!

After all in a salvo firing, if your scope points in the middle of the target, then the 2nd and 3rd torpedo will be much delayed and the spread angle has to be wisely chosen.

I will update my post.
Thanks for your input, geosub. It's all true, of course. But the issue here isn't just with firing solutions, but also with simple 'point and shoot' mechanics. If the TDC has been totally cleared of data, then the gyro angle should match the bearing indicator exactly (at least it did in vanilla SH3) - so it will simply fire the torpedo on the same bearing that you are viewing. And that's what is not possible anymore. If I clear the TDC of all data, set it to auto, then point my periscope or UZO at 30 degrees, the gyro angle will be 35 degrees. That's where the issue is most obvious, but it naturally affects any firing solutions as well. The same thing happens when you manually adjust the bearing in the TDC computer (leaving everything else unchanged). And you get really odd behavior when you rotate the scope (or TDC bearing dial) in 360 degree circle. The gyro angle freezes at certain points, skips at others, and is 20 degrees removed from the bearing indicator at 180.

Anyway, it sounds like it's not just my installation, and that's what I really wanted to find out. If it was just me, I would have re-installed to try to fix the problem. It's not a game breaker. It's good practice to be firing at targets with a low gyro deflection angle anyway.

Last edited by pianist; 12-21-08 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-21-08, 07:27 PM   #4048
pianist
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann
To all.

We've been busy as hell to make our deadline or more would be posted regarding the 3.0 Gold build.

Illness has kept me out of the wheelhouse for a few days. Hitting that deadline is going to be very hard... and as always, we will not guarantee it.

I'll post more about it when it is time.

Until then, we are saying nothing more.
3.0!? I'm so out of the loop - I just found 2.0 a few days ago. :rotfl:
Hope you feel better soon, and a big thank you for all the wonderful work you've done with this sim.
Old 12-21-08, 08:22 PM   #4049
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

Take some Pepto-Bismol and get to work! Nancy's!

Last edited by Lanzfeld; 12-21-08 at 08:23 PM.
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 08:40 PM   #4050
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld
Take some Pepto-Bismol and get to work! Nancy's!
Oh go sink something. :p

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote