SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-25-08, 02:07 PM   #391
snwcrsh
Engineer

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

GlobalExplorer: Doh -- thanks. It runs fine with MultiSH, but your other idea was correct: The SH3 path was not set in the configuration. I thought it would use the default path -- which it didn't.

Btw: I don't know whether the default path to SH3 should be set in your program, but if yes, it maybe did not in my case because I use a German Windows version so "Program Files" becomes "Programme". (Using the Windows
Environment Variables instead of hardcoded folder names might help if this indeed is the problem)

Idea: Add that people should check the SH3 path under configuration, it's not in the readme.

Again, thanks again for help -- all working now.
Old 01-25-08, 02:12 PM   #392
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwcrsh
Btw: I don't know whether the default path to SH3 should be set in your program, but if yes, it maybe did not in my case because I use a German Windows version so "Program Files" becomes "Programme".
Ja, aber bei mir funktionierts doch auch

The SHIII path is read from the registry and I have no clue why it doesn't work in your case. Do you have multiple installs of SHIII?

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-08, 02:31 PM   #393
snwcrsh
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
Quote:
Btw: I don't know whether the default path to SH3 should be set in your program, but if yes, it maybe did not in my case because I use a German Windows version so "Program Files" becomes "Programme".
Ja, aber bei mir funktionierts doch auch

The SHIII path is read from the registry and I have no clue why it doesn't work in your case. Do you have multiple installs of SHIII?
Hrm okay, dann isses das nich, war auch nur ein Verdacht :-)

No, actually no multiple installs. No idea why the path wasn't set. Anyway, after adding it manually all works fine.
Old 01-25-08, 02:58 PM   #394
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Quote:
No, actually no multiple installs. No idea why the path wasn't set. Anyway, after adding it manually all works fine.
Respect to JScones who suggested I should make the path selectable

Feel free to p.m. me if you can reproduce why the path is not set - I have never seen it happen before.

Old 01-25-08, 03:02 PM   #395
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

GE, glad to hear you're still working on this. I have a suggestion, if I may?

BDU put circles on my map where they think airbases are.

It would be really cool if the radius of the outer circle was expanded right out so that it indicates the approximate area of air coverage. Accuracy variance could be built in of course. What do you think?
Old 01-25-08, 03:03 PM   #396
snwcrsh
Engineer

I will. Just playing with this TatusGIS viewer which is ... interesting. Tbh, I have no idea what to do with it (except from moving and zooming . I have yet to be successful to add a marker for contacts or my own sub...
Old 01-25-08, 03:42 PM   #397
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
GE, glad to hear you're still working on this. I have a suggestion, if I may?

BDU put circles on my map where they think airbases are.

It would be really cool if the radius of the outer circle was expanded right out so that it indicates the approximate area of air coverage. Accuracy variance could be built in of course. What do you think?
I'd like to but I have no clue how far the range is in the game! (have set it to a reasonable range of 500-750 km for the current version)

You can set those values in Sh3Gens parameter.ini:

Inc_AircraftRangeBaseValue=500
Delta_AircraftRangeVariation=250

meaning that the values are in a range between 500 and 750. Can't remember if that's radius or diameter though but you should get the idea ..

Old 01-25-08, 03:45 PM   #398
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Old 01-25-08, 03:49 PM   #399
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Hmm... that's strange... they are already set to 500 and 250. It's strange because on my in-game map I get tiny little circles (a few clicks wide, not a few hundred). Any idea why?
Old 01-25-08, 03:51 PM   #400
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Quote:
I will. Just playing with this TatusGIS viewer which is ... interesting. Tbh, I have no idea what to do with it (except from moving and zooming . I have yet to be successful to add a marker for contacts or my own sub...
Unfortunately the version you can download from my link is without documentation - the full one can be downloaded from the developer.

There is a lot you can do, just some tips from the top of my head:

1st of all use the legend to switch layers on and off - it should help you a lot in getting a clear picture (all layers at the same time are to confusing). You see the legend on the left

2nd Look at the small cartographic symbols in the legend, and try to understand how different icons / colours indicate ship type / allegiance.

3rd I recommend you enable View-Panels->Selected .If you then mark an icon with your mouse, you will see a property table with a lot of valuable information like in this screenshot:

Old 01-25-08, 03:52 PM   #401
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Hmm... that's strange... they are already set to 500 and 250. It's strange because on my in-game map I get tiny little circles (a few clicks wide, not a few hundred). Any idea why?
I think the in-game map does not display any range circles anymore because óf the reasons I mentioned (and because they dont look that great). What you get is the position of an allied airbase and thats it.

Old 01-25-08, 08:18 PM   #402
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 303

What's the difference between the layers ASW, Merchant, Warships vs. those ASW_traffic, Merchant_traffic, Warship_traffic layers?

p.s. Sounds like we have solved the global warming problem in the early 40s by sinking all those tankers.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-08, 09:14 PM   #403
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

For example: merchants contains the ships icons (with attribute data and also corresponding to intelligence report) whereas the merchants_traffic shows traffic concentrations (just colored dots representing a sighting).

this is an example of a asw_traffic (anti submarine) concentration map:

Old 01-26-08, 07:58 AM   #404
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

It's saturday and I release something today!

It is a snapshot of the a stand alone map generator:

Sh3Gen v0.9.0 beta

http://www.global-explorer.de/Sh3Gen_v090_beta.zip

The stand stand alone map generator can be used to generate GIS maps without the hassle of Sh3Gens savegame functionality. There is no risk to use this and it is not complicated. Just select a date and run the generator (see screenshot).

You must install tatukgis viewer otherwise it makes no sense. If you have it installed the map will open automatically after the generation process.

http://www.christian-wendt.org/tatukgis.exe

There is still a lot of work to be done, but the software is useable, so I decided to upload it in its present state.

I say again the MapGen does not add anything to your savegame or SHIII. It is a program that reads the campaign and creates a GIS file that you can use with the viewer.

This screenshot should illustrate everything you have to do:

Old 01-26-08, 02:06 PM   #405
snwcrsh
Engineer

Hi GlobalExplorer. Thanks again for the great work. I was wondering about something:

I have seen some cases where a convoy is marked on the ingame map but not the TatukGIS viewer. I wasn't able to investigate... but I would suppose this is about the reliability setting of the intelligence? i.e. marks on the ingame map that are not on TatukGIS are false reports? Just a thought.

If not, how come not all convoys can be seen in TatukGIS?