SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-20-20, 02:08 PM   #4006
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

By reading the news I get the feeling our authorities have re-opened the society to early and to fast and the citizens have forgot to keep social distance.

According to a Danish article the R0 have gone up in Germany, from 1.06 to 1.79.
The same in other countries-the R0 have increased instead of decrease.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-20, 03:44 PM   #4007
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
By reading the news I get the feeling our authorities have re-opened the society to early and to fast and the citizens have forgot to keep social distance.[...]
Yes, it is about populism. It is not popular and will probably spoil your election if you try to fence people in

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 06-20-20 at 04:17 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-20, 04:07 PM   #4008
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Yes, there is a strong increase in R in Germany, mainly reflecting outbreaks in three new clusters:

- Germany's biggest slaughterhouse with more than 1000 infections and 7000 quarantined

- a tenement block in Berlin-Neukölln, almost 100 cases

- nearly 120 infections in a tenement in Göttingen

The problem with the R value as an indicator for the course of the pandemic is it is based on a statistical estimate for the last 4 (or 7) days, more precisely: It is a quotient of two testings in enumerator and denominator respectively.

A local outbreak will first lead to a rise in the denominator (R increases), then to a rise in the enumerator (R decreases). So one will notice a very strong oscillation in R. After 8 (11) days we will see a R value that allows for assessments, if a significant spreading of the virus from the cluster into the vicinity has occurred.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-20, 07:54 PM   #4009
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Was in town, shopping in the supermarket, on Saturday morning. Must say that the discipline is almost completely gone, social distancing is a rare oddity now, amongst all age groups, on the street anyway, but also at the cash desk in the supermarket. No count limit anymore of how many people get in at the same time. Stupid. In the news thew interviewed some people on the street this evening, and to listen to these stupid comments some people give, just makes me angry. "Masks were okay in the past months, but now its warm and summer, and I want to enjoy the party", said one young woman. Does the world suddenly change just because she wants to party? Another said "All these measurements are - well, I think instead of doing this distancing, people better should start thinking about it." Häh...? Meaningless babbling. Noise. The sound of empty nutshells hitting the ground.

The problem is it gets increasingly difficult to protect yourself from these strange people. You risk aggressive intermezzi if keeping them at bay and demanding them to not stand so close behind you. Was in an store for Asian foods from Japan, India and so on, some Indian-Pakistani looking sweating man almost touching me when he waited behind me at the cashdesk, that close he was, mask below his nose, when I told him to keep distance and step back, he said something in a foreign language and angry tone and I had to turn on him in full to make myself clear. That might be nice for my ego, but it does not protect me from the real danger in this situation, and that is not the idiot himself, but the virus, if he carries it.

I need a shotgun with tennis balls to load. Shopping increasingly becomes risky again. Need to knock out the bug-lovers while they still are 3 m away.
Old 06-21-20, 03:31 AM   #4010
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

"You know testing is a double-edged sword, here's the bad part ... when you do testing to that extent, you're going to find more people; you're going to find more cases.
So I said to my people, slow the testing down please."

Donald John Trump; Tulsa (OK); June 20th, 2020

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 03:42 AM   #4011
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Really! Trump at his best. Let's all hide under the blankets and pretend everything is fine, okay? Loser.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 04:50 AM   #4012
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Spain is today reopening its tourism industry by lifting travel restrictions for foreign visitors.

Visitors from the EU and Schengen zone countries and Britain will not have to isolate on arrival.

Face masks still have to be worn in public spaces where social distancing is not possible.

In the UK, a review into the two-metre social-distancing rule will conclude "within the coming days", the culture secretary tells the BBC

Greta Thunberg tells the BBC the world needs to learn the lessons of coronavirus and treat climate change with similar urgency.

The authorities in Mexico City have delayed a planned reopening of the economy by a week.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 04:54 AM   #4013
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Pubs in England may be required to register their customers as part of the coronavirus test-and-trace strategy, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

In Europe’s first national election since the pandemic began, parliamentary and local elections are taking place in Serbia, where the populist governing coalition is hoping to strengthen its majority.

The Australian state of Victoria has extended its state of emergency for four weeks, until 19 July, after seeing the biggest spike in cases for more than a month.

US President Donald Trump has told a rally in Oklahoma that he asked officials to slow down testing for coronavirus because so many cases were being detected in the country.

India has reported 15,413 new coronavirus cases, the biggest daily increase since the start of its epidemic, as the country struggles to grapple with rising infections.

Another 48 new coronavirus cases have been reported in South Korea, where health authorities are struggling to get to grips with an outbreak in the capital, Seoul.

Old 06-21-20, 06:58 AM   #4014
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Greta Thunberg tells the BBC blablablabla
Uääähhhhh, the brat is back, what a pity. Why even mentioning her....? Life had won in quality in past months without her precocious moralising.

Really, not all was bad in the past months. That people were more aware of others, more polite and willing to give up their right of way, made easier eye contact , and did no longer try to rub their skin against yours at every opportunity - I like that as general social politeness. Hugging and kissing and embracing and shaking hands, I never liked all that. So juch can be done more stylishly with the eyes alone, and an nod, or an implied bow. I am not the other's towel.
Old 06-21-20, 11:16 AM   #4015
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
"You know testing is a double-edged sword, here's the bad part ... when you do testing to that extent, you're going to find more people; you're going to find more cases.
So I said to my people, slow the testing down please."

Donald John Trump; Tulsa (OK); June 20th, 2020

More testing results in higher number of confirmed cases
Less testing results in lower number of confirmed cases

The logic is clear. Testing causes COVID-19!
Old 06-21-20, 11:42 AM   #4016
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
More testing results in higher number of confirmed cases
Less testing results in lower number of confirmed cases

The logic is clear. Testing causes COVID-19!
Some people might think that statement is funny, but it is so true

Causes more awareness causes more fear
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 11:55 AM   #4017
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I've been thinking in a placebo-way of thinking.

Let presume you feeling tip top alright now symptoms from this Corona virus whatsoever, then you take a test while you are near the hospital and the test showed that you have the virus.

Now will this positive test result in a suddenly change of feeling tip top alright to I'm going to die oh agony.

Where you the day before was on the top and now you are real down.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 12:19 PM   #4018
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 06-21-20, 01:00 PM   #4019
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Some people might think that statement is funny, but it is so true

Causes more awareness causes more fear

Exactly. A far more telling indicator is the death rate. Here in the US it has continued to trend downward even as the number of cases increases.

August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 02:08 PM   #4020
Skybird
Soaring

In Germany, R0 had climbed to values fluctuating between 1.5 and 1.8 before a recent outbreak at meat producers with over a thosuand of known infections. Many people, foriegn workers, have fled and returned to home countries of theirs. The state government of Northrhine Westphalia, whose leader Mr. Laschet already is responsible for not having stopped the Carnival in the later pandemic starting area of Köln and Düsselforf, once again reacted too late, many other people hjave escaped quarantine internation in location and now spread what there is to be spread. R0 has jumped to 2.8, logically.

There are several other outbreaks in now isolated hotspots, severla ones in Göttingen alone, but also Berlin, and some other places. Whole blocks and tower blocks get guarded by police that is being attacked with rocks, iron rod, and such items, every day officers get injured.

Previously agreed rules and plans between national and states governments when to lock down whole regions in case of a second wave or local backslides, get ignored, instead a lot of talking to weasel around that, while since days things spin more and more toweards gbetting out of contorl again. In Berlin sinc eMarch illegal public parties with hundreds of particpants have been run secrtely in public parks. The ultra-left senate coalition passed a law discriminating the police to such ammounts that the other states have annocunced they will no longer send own police troops in case of being called for help by Berlin. The natipon interior minister also ruled out to send the federal police into Berlin anymore, due to the politically wanted discrimination.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan