SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-19-14, 10:05 PM   #3976
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

I'd recommend giving it a try - and starting with the Normandy demo, since it's technically the most up-to-date and actually has a couple of "real" and fairly big scenarios. There are a solid 20+ hours you can spend playing the demo alone (if you take both "real" missions in it and play them through from both sides).

Combat Mission is great, although I'm obviously a little biased since I've been playing them for 12 years now. I'd also say that all things considered, the graphics are actually great rather than poor - because normally in this type of game, you're moving icons on a 2D map. It's a full-fledged tactical wargame at an extremely high level of realism, where you can command up to battallion-scale engagements in 3D with each and every soldier animated, with destructible objects and terrain, a sophisticated (if quirky and sometimes weird) tactical AI which makes soldiers a little more than just mindless drones that go exactly where you click and die with no questions asked. So there's not really any other one that does what CM does - the closest comparisons are Achtung Panzer/Graviteam Tactics (which certainly has similar tactical depth, but lacks breadth and is real time/single player only) and Close Combat (which, however, is purely 2D) series. Every other strategy game out there with a similar level of graphics is a toy by comparison.

There's a fair bit of homework (manual reading and learning) and a while that it takes to wrap your mind around how it really works and where the reward of playing something like Combat Mission is, but once it clicks you'll never want to go back

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)

Last edited by CCIP; 04-19-14 at 11:25 PM.
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 10:12 AM   #3977
Valantine
Planesman

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

With regards to CM - I've been thinking about it for a while but it not being available on steam is a big part of me not picking it up yet.
Anyhow, my question: is your force persistent; so losses matter and keeping the same soldiers alive through several battles sees them gain veterancy or anything like that? Or is it just a string of single battles with different forces each time?

And since it is a screenshot thread I suppose I should share some from recent 53rd missions in Fallujah in arma 3:

Cheers
V

ARMA 3 Co-Op Battalion Recruiting Worldwide
http://www.iijg53.com
Valantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 03:24 PM   #3978
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
With regards to CM - I've been thinking about it for a while but it not being available on steam is a big part of me not picking it up yet.
Anyhow, my question: is your force persistent; so losses matter and keeping the same soldiers alive through several battles sees them gain veterancy or anything like that? Or is it just a string of single battles with different forces each time?
I doubt it will ever be available on Steam. Battlefront seem rather keen on maintaining control of their most valuable property.

What you're talking about is basically covered by the concept of "core units" in CM2x-speak. Basically, some units in any campaign can be persistent and carry over from mission to mission (with possible resupply) - it depends totally on the campaign designer. Some campaigns use a lot of core units, others not at all. Most of the default campaigns that come with the game only have limited use of them since they want to show off the various equipment that comes with the game. But some user-made campaigns use core units very well - there are some, like "In Search of a Ghost" for Shock Force and "Devils Descent" for Normandy (you can read an AAR of it here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=197146 ), where every unit in the campaign is a core unit and you don't get any reinforcements, so you have to really take care of your troops and avoid losses.

That said, CM doesn't have any operational-level gameplay, i.e. the campaigns are scripted and what units you get depends on scenario designer's plans, core units or not. There is no upgrading or gaining experience for troops - though that's only fair because that would be unrealistic; most campaigns for the game are very short (for example, the entire Soviet campaign for Red Thunder takes place in the course of just over 24 hours. Same is true of "Devils Descent" above).

Meanwhile, here's some shots from CM's competitor, Graviteam's Achtung Panzer:

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)

Last edited by CCIP; 04-20-14 at 06:59 PM.
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 03:59 PM   #3979
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Both of those look pretty good.

I tried out CM earlier...just for 5 minutes or so...I can tell I'll need to do some learning. Graphics are a bit sluggish. I'll have to toy with it a bit and see what I can come up with.

I'd love CMRT but they want $55 for it on their website.
Old 04-21-14, 11:58 AM   #3980
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Try turning off shadows (Alt-W in game) and see if that helps. They always makes things a bit stuttery even on my computer, and they don't even look that good...
Old 04-21-14, 06:05 PM   #3981
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
Try turning off shadows (Alt-W in game) and see if that helps. They always makes things a bit stuttery even on my computer, and they don't even look that good...
I'll try that out tonight if I have time. I have a Lab Report due for Chemistry, Geometry and Algebra stuff to do and a little bit of other Chemistry work. Could be a long night.
Old 05-02-14, 10:18 AM   #3982
Rilder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Finally got around to making a SSTO since they added the research system.

Old 06-08-14, 07:49 PM   #3983
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Until it all explodes and falls apart which should be happening any day now...

Last edited by Oberon; 06-21-14 at 05:22 PM.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-14, 03:51 AM   #3984
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

That's quite the impressive Empire you got there...

It'll be a shame if something would happen to it. M'lord.
Old 06-10-14, 04:06 AM   #3985
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Now for something more recent with the Brits
*kicks gramophone*

Where Artillery Fails, Flametank succeeds.

Divine retribution.

Assaulting to clear the rest area.

After a horrible defeat the previous battle which turned into a brutal slaughter at the hands of the Germans I repaid them in kind.

Campaign progress so far.

Bonus:

Old 06-21-14, 05:19 PM   #3986
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Meanwhile:

Although being King/Emperor at the moment is starting to feel a little like this:

Old 06-23-14, 01:32 PM   #3987
zachanscom
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 2

arma 3 is a snuff simulator:

zachanscom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-14, 08:40 PM   #3988
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Well, I guess there really was...

...a gun in his pocket...

Old 06-26-14, 09:51 PM   #3989
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

In ArmA 3 it seems that feet are treated to pedicures often.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 03:24 AM   #3990
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

If you're in the trading business, don't crap on the gods.