SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-03-14, 02:36 PM   #376
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

some days ya win; some days ya lose-let's eat

1995: OJ Simpson declared innocent of murder of his former wife. 2008: OJ Simpson found guilty of armed robbery 9-33 years prison. 1789: George Washington, the Father of his Country, declares November 26, 1789, a day of Thanksgiving for the creation of America. 1863: Abraham Lincoln, the Great Emancipator, declares the last Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day...either way- my favorite (2 day) holiday!aptly portrayed by Norman Rockwell IMHO

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-14, 06:16 AM   #377
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1363 - End of the Battle of Lake Poyang; the Chinese rebel forces of Zhu Yuanzhang defeat that of his rival, Chen Youliang, in one of the largest naval battles in history.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 12:43 AM   #378
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

1936-The Jarrow March begins when 200 men from impoverished Tyneside march to lobby parliament for work.
Old 10-05-14, 01:12 AM   #379
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default The second CSA succesful spar torpedo boat attack: A+ 4 effort!

1863: Confederate sub David damages Union ship Ironsides."CSS David, a 50-foot steam torpedo boat of "cigar-shaped" hull design and four crewmen, built at Charleston, South Carolina, in 1863 under the supervision of David C. Ebaugh. After being taken over by the Confederate States Navy, she made a daring spar torpedo attack on the Federal ironclad New Ironsides on the night of 5 October 1863. The Union ship was damaged with a huge hole in her side, though able to remain on station due to timely seamanship. David was nearly lost when the splash from her torpedo's explosion swamped her powerplant. However, her engineer was able to get her underway, allowing her to escape back to Charleston. (Might explain the Hunley disaster mystery as well)
David attacked the Federal gunboat Memphis in March 1864 and the frigate Wabash on 18 April of that year, but without results.
One 'little David' was sometimes used as a towing vessel for the Hunley. The David was designed to ride very low in the water and attack by ramming a spar torpedo. However, she was not a true submarine as the Hunley-she had an open cockpit and was powered by a small steam boiler. Some claim that the davids used water filled ballast tanks to ride low in the water, however, the builder described filling the hull with thousands of pounds of iron to lower the water line." Retouched Photo: USS New Ironsides>
that's lower than a U-boat on a night surface attack IMHO

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 10-05-14, 05:36 AM   #380
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1962 - Beatles release their 1st record "Love Me Do".

Old 10-06-14, 02:57 AM   #381
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Very bad by any standard!

1854: "The Great fire of Newcastle and Gateshead was a tragic and spectacular series of events in which a substantial amount of property in the two towns was destroyed in a series offires and an explosion which killed 53 and injured upwards of 500. A big part of the initial problem: "The building was extensive, reaching to seven floors, and capable of holding an immense amount of goods. It was at the time used to store 2800 tons of sulphur, 128 tons of nitrate of soda, and other combustibles. It was in part "a double fire-proof structure", with massive metal pillars and every due precaution against fire for the time... From the various floors of the warehouse the sulphur flowed in torrents like streams of lava, and the building resembled "a cataract on fire". Yet at this point the occurrence had borne no aspect other than that of a fearful blaze, a tremendous firestorm sufficiently serious of itself, and altogether unprecedented in the annals of the district. Two small explosions occurred and then: The final explosion occurred at 3:10 AM. The vaults of the warehouse were burst open with a tremendous and terrific explosion, heard 20 miles (32 km) away. Vessels on the river lifted as if lashed by a sudden storm. The old bridge shook, and the new quivered. Massive walls were crumbled into heaps, houses tumbled into ruins. The venerable church, on the hill, was shattered to a wreck. Gravestone were broken and uplifted. The hands on the dial of its clock stood at ten minutes past three. Damages exceeded not less than £500,000. The crater, 50' wide/40' deep, was estimated to have been caused by the equivalent of 8 tons of gunpowder! Aside from the sulphur which interacted with the nitrate of soda which then liquefied in the fire, there were no oils, no naphtha nor oils of vitriol..." Thank heavens for that- I'll just stick with earthquakes at 3:20 AM fer sure! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_fire_of_Newcastle_and_Gateshead

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-06-14 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-06-14, 05:23 AM   #382
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1927 - "Jazz Singer," 1st movie with a sound track, premieres (NYC).

Old 10-07-14, 12:26 AM   #383
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Another 6 here Bossmänn!

1960: The first episode of the one-hour television drama "Route 66"airs on CBS. The program had a simple premise: That AktungBBY would come along....and improve on the concept...!
How 'bout a lift?

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-07-14 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-07-14, 02:16 AM   #384
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default ^ Speak of the devil-"Fire is his only friend"

1871: The most devastating fire in American history is ignited in Peshtigo, Wisconsin. Over two days, up to 2,500 people lost their lives and 2 billion trees/3.5 million acres were consumed by flames. The forest would be lifeless for a quarter-century...some lucky ones made it to water-some simply committed suicide. The news was overshadowed by The Great Chicago Fire the next day! "Peshtigo wasn't just destroyed. It was totally burned by a fire of biblical proportions; a firestorm very much like Dresden and Tokyo in World War II. It literally created its own weather: fire tornadoes picked up rail cars and burning trees larger than telephone poles. Survivors later remarked that "...this must be what Hell looks like."... there was nothing left but ashes. There was no way to fight it and nowhere to run from it."" http://www.sfu.ca/geog/geog351fall06/group06/fire1871.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshtigo_Fire<what it really must have looked like-firescience 101. I CAN'T OUT-RUN THAT

Old 10-07-14, 07:18 AM   #385
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1571 - Battle of Lepanto: Holy League of southern European nations destroys Ottoman fleet in significant loss off Western Greece.

Old 10-08-14, 03:04 PM   #386
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default 666-A lil' deviltry on the trigger...or the keyboard gets it!

1918: Corporal Alvin C. York reportedly kills over 20 German soldiers and captures an additional 132 at the head of a squad in the Argonne Forest of WWI-France. After experiencing a religious conversion, he became a fundamentalist Christian around 1915. In 1917, when the United States entered WWI, York was drafted into the U.S. Army... After being denied conscientious-objector status-In April 1919, York was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. 1957: Bible-school dropout, Jerry Lee Lewis (The Killer) laid down tracks of "Great Balls Of Fire," after battling with his conscience and with Sam Phillips, head of Sun Records. When Jerry Lee began arguing with Sam Phillips that the song was too sinful for him to record: ""How can the devil save souls?...I got the devil in me!" American Graffiti-Soundtrack and the biopic flic: Great Balls of Fire would follow. but never outdo #1

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-08-14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-09-14, 05:52 AM   #387
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1000 - Leif Ericson discovers "Vinland" (possibly L'Anse aux Meadows, Canada) reputedly becoming first European to reach North America.

Old 10-10-14, 01:30 AM   #388
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

732: Charles Martel, a Frankish Christian, defeats the Moors at Tours. The Muslim governor of Cordoba is killed. Charles Martel's descendants including grandson Charlemagne establish a vast European Christian kingdom across Europe.

Old 10-10-14, 02:27 AM   #389
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278
Default 10 October

680-Caliph Yazid kills his rival Hussein at Karbala. Hussein's martyrdom makes the city holy to Shiites.

1903-Emmeline Pankhurst forms the Women's Social and Political Union to fight for women's rights in Britain.

1967-The Outer Space Treaty - the basic legal framework of international space law - enters into force.
Old 10-10-14, 06:01 AM   #390
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1957 - A fire at the Windscale nuclear plant in Cumbria, UK becomes the world's first major nuclear accident.