SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-13, 04:42 AM   #3691
Theurg
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Oops! Just noted the quantity of thread's pages... Now it is obvious that this was already discussed for sure. However, with my Engrish it could take eternity to read all the topic.
Anyway, i am still a bit confused with this mod. Now it is about failure probabilities for torpedoes in 39-40. I've read some popular books about, including Donitz memoirs, and got a vision that impact pistols were the lesser evil, while magnetic pistols reliability was just terrifying. In the same time, fault probabilities in this mod are 25% for impact and 15% for magnetic - and these are for calm water conditions. Having in mind that this mod is "hardcore realism" oriented, is there some historical background for such numbers? Just curious.
Old 10-02-13, 09:31 AM   #3692
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theurg View Post
Oops! Just noted the quantity of thread's pages... Now it is obvious that this was already discussed for sure. However, with my Engrish it could take eternity to read all the topic.
Anyway, i am still a bit confused with this mod. Now it is about failure probabilities for torpedoes in 39-40. I've read some popular books about, including Donitz memoirs, and got a vision that impact pistols were the lesser evil, while magnetic pistols reliability was just terrifying. In the same time, fault probabilities in this mod are 25% for impact and 15% for magnetic - and these are for calm water conditions. Having in mind that this mod is "hardcore realism" oriented, is there some historical background for such numbers? Just curious.
The short answer is yes.

The longest answer I'm willing to give is that the numbers are a compromise between game mechanics and the unscientific observations of U-boat commanders/BdU.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 12:06 PM   #3693
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 619
Uploads: 0
Quote:
..."hardcore realism"...
Not hardcore but hardcode...
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 01:00 AM   #3694
Theurg
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudewarrior View Post
The short answer is yes.

The longest answer I'm willing to give is that the numbers are a compromise between game mechanics and the unscientific observations of U-boat commanders/BdU.
Oh, thanks. So, it is as realistic as video game could be. Thats nice for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar View Post
Not hardcore but hardcode...
With renewable air inside the boat for only 4-5 hours, i think it could be really hardcore to survive 42-43 without snorkel.
Old 11-02-13, 05:21 AM   #3695
Cao
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 16

Ciao a tutti! I have a simple question: for start the mod i must need restart my carrer or is possible to conserve and apply my save to new game modded? I've 17 exit long and i don't want to lost everything. thx so much: Ping:
Cao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 11:09 PM   #3696
SSTK
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1
Default V16B1 & SH3 CDR v3.2

Howdie all - new to Subsim Forums, but along time player of SH3.

I have a question about V16B1 that I could not find in the many postings to this thread.

Does V16B1 work with GWX and SH3 Commander v3.2? Any know issues or setting changes required?

Sorry if this as been asked and answered before, but I did try to locate in the thread.

Many thanks,
-- SSTK
SSTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 03:56 AM   #3697
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTK View Post

I have a question about V16B1 that I could not find in the many postings to this thread.

Does V16B1 work with GWX and SH3 Commander v3.2? Any know issues or setting changes required?

Sorry if this as been asked and answered before, but I did try to locate in the thread.

Many thanks,
-- SSTK
This is the thread about the 'V16B1' or 'h.sie-patch'. I suggest, you go the beginning of this thread ...
Old 12-11-13, 05:58 AM   #3698
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
Ciao a tutti! I have a simple question: for start the mod i must need restart my carrer or is possible to conserve and apply my save to new game modded? I've 17 exit long and i don't want to lost everything. thx so much: Ping:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTK View Post

Many thanks,
-- SSTK
Welcome Aboard Kaleuns

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 08:05 AM   #3699
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
With renewable air inside the boat for only 4-5 hours, i think it could be really hardcore to survive 42-43 without snorkel.
With h.sie's mod, both on-board air endurance and oxygen reserve are easily adjustable over a range of about 3.5x so you can set them to whatever values you feel are most prototypical or playable. You don't have to accept the default.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 07:26 AM   #3700
Leandros
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 17

Having looked through the various possibilities in the mods at hand here it is obvious that these shall add a lot to the "fun" of playing SHIII. OTOH mods such as these should go hand in hand with similar mods on the opposition's side. How realistic is the proficiency of the enemy's subhunters and other surface vessels? I have a feeling they are usually a little too good at observation and, particularly, their artillery hitting ability. To my knowledge, none of the allied vessels usually encountered in SHIII had gyro-stabilized guns. They shoot like they have!

Also, regarding observation, I should think they are too good on a too regular basis. Just my opinion. Anyone?

Fred
Old 12-21-13, 06:15 PM   #3701
gi_dan2987
Weps

Downloads: 61

Yeah it seems to me that Brit destroyers have eagle eyes at night, and ears like a deer under the water. I'm not sure how accurate that would've been. Another thing I don't like is not being able to hover just off the bottom to distort ASDIC pings. It seems like the game adds no stealth bonus for "bottom camping" if you will. Historically, commanders stuck in shallow waters would do this to hopefully screw up the ping signals enough to throw off the attack.
gi_dan2987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13, 02:03 PM   #3702
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

FromStiebler4B_patch_Docs.pdf (documentation in Stiebler4B_V16B1_Revised.7z):

“Shallow-water Asdic” mod

It was always much harder to detect U-boats with asdic in shallow waters than in deep water, due to tides, wrecks, rocks and similar. From October 1944 - May 1945, U-boats with schnorchels patrolled very close to land around the British Isles, the so-called ‘Inshore Campaign’, relying for their protection on the poor detection ability of Asdic in shallow waters, with their fast tides, large rocks and ancient wrecks.

SH3 does not model the failure of Asdic in shallow water at all. This mod changes asdic capability according to the depth of the sea. Specifically, the ‘minimum surfaces’ (MinSurface, MS) of asdics (original values found in file ‘AI_Sensors.dat’) are now changed according to sea-depth in four bands:

Depth > 150m: MS = 100 (m2, metres squared).
Depth >100m: MS = 150.
Depth >50m: MS = 200.
Depth < 50m: MS = 300.

The ‘MinSurface’ refers to the amount of U-boat hull (in square metres) that must be impacted by the Asdic ping, if the warship sending the ping is to get a detection echo. These changes are not dependent on the year, they will apply throughout the war. Now you can prowl around the British Isles with much less chance of being detected.

I think this might be just what you are looking for. h.sie's and Stiebler's patchers have about 3 dozen very desirable fixes and improvements. They are easiest to use with NYGM, but can be adapted to any megamod (or stock SH3) with little effort.
Old 12-22-13, 02:09 PM   #3703
gi_dan2987
Weps

I apologize Big Walleye, but I can't seem to find that download, and yes, that is precisely what I wanted! Thank you!

I am trying NYGM right now but having some issues that I think I explained in a new thread I just posted in the SH3 forum.

Basically I'm tired of the GWX3 thing and would like something else, unless GWX3 is the best there is of course.

I want 100% realism, 100% Immersion, 100% experience. That's a tall order I know, but what mod/mods/ala carte items should I have to get this? Also, I want a mod that's consistent and not full of bugs.
Old 12-22-13, 02:51 PM   #3704
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Sorry, the link in the SubSim downloads section is not working. This one is, at least right now:

http://www.subsim.com/mods1/nygm/Sti...6B1_Revised.7z

Give it a try. Please let me know if it's not OK. I think it's in Plisskens's archives, too.

I posted the mod list I use with NYGM yesterday. "No known bugs." But I do have a customizing mod of my own which merges over-written files from the patchers and Hitman's optics. (It also asserts some personal preferences, like eliminating cheering. I run a taut ship!)

Last edited by BigWalleye; 12-22-13 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-22-13, 03:04 PM   #3705
gi_dan2987
Weps

Yeah this is the revised Stiebler patch. Already got this one in JSGME and activated. I also got the small mod that changes how depth charges affect passive and ASDIC sonars, but how do I know for sure if it's working or not?