Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-14-20, 01:35 PM   #3526
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."
(Winston said it, but he quoted someone else )

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 01:43 PM   #3527
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps urges people to avoid public transport and use a car when they can.

London's mayor has called for a government transport bailout by the end of the day.

In the UK, a further 428 people have died with Covid-19, bringing the total to 33,614

Nearly 3m Americans claimed unemployment benefits last week , bringing total since March to 36.5m

A top US vaccine doctor removed from his role testifies that US government was unprepared for the pandemic.

France's government says drug giant Sanofi's plans to prioritise the US if it develops a vaccine are "unacceptable"

The UN says the pandemic has caused widespread psychological distress worldwide.

Globally, the number of people confirmed to have died with Covid-19 nears 300,000, with 1.5m recovered.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 02:14 PM   #3528
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

A quick test used for testing - amongst others - staff at the WH, seems to have a very high error rate. Its being reported that depending on the way the test is apllicated (with wet or dry sticks) the error rate in negative results (subject appears to be healthy) is either around 35% or around 50%.

35 and 50% margin of error. Why wasting money for this...? A test with such values is of zero use. But the company selling it (and being advertised by the Donaldinarium on repeated occasions) makes big money with it.

Antibody tests have principle issues that you cannot really work around , since antibodies get produced by the infected body after not before - I seem to recall - 7-9 days. You can be tested for several days in the incubation phase with a negative result - although you are ill, and infectous. Many praise them as the next big thing in battling Covid-19. My view of these tests is muted. And I do not even talk about the principally low precision/correct recogniution rate of these tests. Error rates of 30% and more render medical tests useless, imo. Its way too high a margin of error.

Meanwhile the WHO says that due to the aggressivness of the spreading of this voirus iut may not ever go away completgley. I agree. We need to learn ways of adapting to it and dealing and living with it.

Didnt I say from very early on that the old world is gone and that we will not get back the old ways and lives of ours? Slowly this sinks into some people's minds. Adapting means: behavior styles and habits changing. Maybe drugs for treatment. Maybe a vaccine. The latter two points are hoped for - but certain they are not. Some of these changes I like. People cleaning their sweaty hands on mine for a greeting, or trying to hug and kiss me, will be a thing of the past. VERY NICE. People trying to close social distances when standing together until boith boidies almost touch, arer a thign fo the past, too, and if there is a violator I have every excuse to push him back in all clearness without being accused of an impoliteness - EVEN BETTER. Some more positive things on my mind as well. Its not all bad. But maybe thats just me and my living style.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-14-20 at 02:23 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 03:41 PM   #3529
Skybird
Soaring

They have done a TV experiment in Japan. Ten guests in a normal restaurant scene were invited in a big room with a buffet. They were told to enjoy the time, behave according to to anti-Corona rules, and to use the buffet. One of the guests was "infested" with a chemical agent on his hands that fluoresces in black light.

The result was quite shocking. 30 minutes later, they switched off the white light and turned to black light, and they saw: EVERYBODY was infected due to smear infection, three even in the face. Despite anti-Corona social rules (one would assume that Japanese are more disciplined practicing such rules than Westerners).

Add to this recent findings of Corona getting transported already by ordinary talking, and that aerosols from bvretahign cna stand for severla hours in the air, and heavier aerosols from talking with bigger particles of higher virus load for almost a quarter of an hour.

Do not get into such situations, if you can avoid them. Wear FFP masks if needing to stay in them. I woudl even recommend to wear big glasses, if only to avoid your fingers touching your eyes area, but such glasses may even come handy if somebody - masked or unmasked - coughes into your face.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-14-20 at 03:53 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 03:50 PM   #3530
Skybird
Soaring

And this from the university of Oregon. Their animation reminds of the viozualization doen by the Fiunis a week or ten days ago, in supermarkets.

Air streams from open windows and ventilators/air conditioners must be considered, 6 feet social distance are not enough.

I say: both inside or outside: if interacting with other people, if you can take a posiiton where you have the naturla wind or any artificial air stream in your rear, or less ideal: on your side. Do not accept it to have it in your face.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...urants-reopen/
Old 05-14-20, 03:58 PM   #3531
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

There's another thing I have noticed in our lock down.

People are complaining-They can't do what they use to do.
Some is complaining that they had to stay inside with their kids all these days and only going outside for shopping.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 04:40 PM   #3532
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Other than quitting my job nothing has really changed for me. I still go to the store to buy food and necessities (though no where as often as I had in the past). But it has giving me more time to kayak, bicycle, hike, and spark one up. I even went hunting for some 'shrooms the other day. Life is good.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 05:12 PM   #3533
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Do you trust your elected government and the Politicians in your Parliament ?
Do you think they do the right thing in this Crisis ?

Here in Denmark they have made a survey.
They asked A representative group of the Danish population and 72 % of those who have been asked, have said they more or less have trust in the Danish government and the way they are handling this Corona Crisis.

Markus
Old 05-14-20, 05:40 PM   #3534
Skybird
Soaring

I trust no politician who ever was eager to get into that job - or did so without somebody holding a weapon at his head. By the mere desire to become politicians, nine out of ten - minimum - have already proven that they are by character unsuited for this position. Most office holders also hold offices, especially ministries, that by experience and competence they are not suited, trained and qualified for.

Being qualified by education and training, and getting voted for, are two totally different things. Unfortunately, elections empirically are proven to mostly flush the scum to the top.

Which is no compliment for the electorate either.

So dont ask me "Do you trust your politicians?" Of course I don't, and never will. Not ours, not yours, not theirs. And I have overwhelming historical empirical evidence on my side that this mistrust is very, very justified. Politicians are mostly good for just one thing: to promise they have the solution for the mess their predecessor has created. To me that is mess that without poilticians would not be there in the first.

Same goes for religious messiahs and missionaries. They want the same like politicians, by other means: power over people, and to live of the people. They are similar twins, but you can recognise each of them by their different clothes.

They all get bred by the networks behind them. The names and faces may change, but the system that breeds them stays the same, and so the bred offsprings always are the same as well. To prevent any surprises there - thats what these networks are designed for. These nbetwoprks are parties, and intervowen networkjs of industrial contacts, and finance industry, and ideological, supranational/international structures.
Old 05-14-20, 06:06 PM   #3535
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

You have developed an immunity towards your politicians and their never ending truism, like I have when it comes to Swedish and Danish politicians.

I was surprised when they said how many have confidence in the Danish government. I was expecting a high number, but 72 % who fully or almost fully have trust their government in this Corona crisis.

Markus
Old 05-14-20, 06:16 PM   #3536
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
You have developed an immunity towards your politicians and their never ending truism, like I have when it comes to Swedish and Danish politicians.
Do you understand a bit of German?
https://sciencefiles.org/2020/05/08/...ionsversuchen/
Old 05-14-20, 06:28 PM   #3537
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Someone on another forum posted a sobering thought.

By the end of this year, it is likely that everyone in the US will know someone personally who died of COVID19.

Yikes, I had not thought of it in those terms.

I am only one step away. I know of several people who have had and recovered from COVID19 and one of their family members died. By coincidence I did not know this person. But it is only May.
Old 05-14-20, 09:44 PM   #3538
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

https://www.mos.ru/mayor/themes/1829...ndex.ru%2Fnews

Working on the shift towards mass antibody testing in Moscow as a part of post lock down transition.
Current capability to conduct 100k tests daily with planned expansion to 200k tests daily.
Old 05-15-20, 05:58 AM   #3539
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Germany - Europe’s largest economy - shrinks by 2.2%, the worst since 2009 and the financial crisis.

Slovenia becomes first European country to declare an end to its virus epidemic.

Restaurants, cafes and shops can now open in Australia's most populous state, but with strict distancing rules.

A US whistleblower and virus expert has said "lives were lost" because of early government inaction.

The three Baltic states - Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia - create borderless travel zone for their citizens.

More than 1.5m people have recovered from the virus worldwide, but 300,000 people have died.

Old 05-15-20, 06:09 AM   #3540
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

China has urged the US to help strengthen co-operation in the fight against coronavirus, following renewed criticism of its response from President Donald Trump.

Photos of a packed airport in Indonesia have triggered an uproar online.

Earlier, Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that he wanted to open "some aspects of tourism" in the summer season.

Germany will ease quarantine rules for visitors arriving from the EU and the UK, the interior ministry says.

North Korea has unveiled footage of people in Pyongyang spending time outdoors, in a move seen as a response to foreign reports about the country struggling to contain Covid-19.

Russia's latest coronavirus figures show 10,598 new confirmed cases on Friday, pushing its nationwide tally to 262,843.

Researchers say Belgium has seen its highest April mortality rate since World War Two. The team at Vrije Universiteit Brussel say the southern city of Mons and Brussels itself were hit particularly hard.

Restaurants and cafes are reopening in Austria. Tables should be at least a metre apart, there should be a maximum of four adults plus children. No salt-shakers are allowed on tables.

Germany is gearing up for a return to Bundesliga football on Saturday - but an ARD opinion poll suggests 56% of Germans believe it's too early.

About 10 million pigs could be killed by mid-September, the organisation representing the US pork industry has warned.

Lockdown restrictions in the Philippines are impeding efforts to help victims of Typhoon Vongfong, which struck the east of the country on Thursday.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan