SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-24, 06:26 AM   #3466
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Cheap, effective and almost no defence against.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cz5drkr8l1ko

Different to the high tech toys the West sends in small quantities. Russian jamming has knocked them all out to very severe degrees. Already ATACMS, Excalibur, Himars, Storm Shadow - they get jammed out. And cost fortunes.

Has nobody noticed the lack of big stories about ATACMS strikes? I dont mean the pompous propaganda drivel at youtube, but mainstream news that celebrated the Abrams and Leopards, the Himars, the Ceasars.... They took place, no doubt, but it seems they fail to impress Russian capabilties. And the efficiency rates of smart ammo getting through to its targets has dropped significantly. It seems ATACMS are just the latest high flying expectation that more or less crash-landed.

The only advantages Russia has are the stupidity of the West, and its own masses. Pinpricks lead not far.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-19-24 at 09:49 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-24, 08:12 AM   #3467
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
Russia will not be leaving Ukraine with their tail between their legs, I believe they will go all out over it if needed. There is too much at stake - having Nato/EU on that boarder is not an option, (Its a vast flat open border Russia knows it cannot defend from a hypothetical full scale land invasion by the Western allies) from the Kremlins perspective, it IS the end of the world for them to lose Ukraine outright.
I believe they're more concerned about who is on the other side of that border post western civilization which doesn't appear to be all that far away.
Old 05-19-24, 09:19 AM   #3468
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Didn't Ukraine get these anti-jammer missiles in their latest weapon package ?

Seem to recall it.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-24, 09:28 AM   #3469
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Didn't Ukraine get these anti-jammer missiles in their latest weapon package ?

Seem to recall it.

Markus
Not only in last package also before, and they developed their own also Ukraine has them and uses them for a long time. Missiles do not use only one system to reach the target, some have several and are mostly programmed to hit targets, not all methods can be jammed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-24, 09:30 AM   #3470
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
Not only in last package also before, and they developed their own also Ukraine has them and uses them for a long time.
If you know-How good are these missiles ?

I could imagine Ukraine use some of these anti-jammer missiles before the use of ordinary ground-to-ground missiles against some target

Markus

Old 05-19-24, 09:35 AM   #3471
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
If you know-How good are these missiles ?

Markus
If they hit the target they are, and I see reports of Ukraine hitting several targets lately, so take that jamming with a grain of salt. Both sides can jam, but also both sides have the capability to hit targets at log range. Every action has its reaction, what one side develop, the other side will solve to counter. Ukraine military complex was always important, a lot of space missiles were made/invented in Ukraine like other technology Ukraine can do allot like they did in the USSR time.

Quote:
Old 05-19-24, 09:44 AM   #3472
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
If they hit the target they are, and I see reports of Ukraine hitting several targets lately, so take that jamming with a grain of salt. Both sides can jam, but also both sides have the capability to hit targets at log range. Every action has its reaction, what one side develop, the other side will solve to counter.
Which I think what they exactly have done the Ukrainians solved the problem with Russian jammers.

Silence from our newspaper. Well in the beginning it was interesting to tell the people about it, but people lose interest, this must be why we aren't hearing about it in our news.

I think it is so.

Markus

Old 05-19-24, 09:50 AM   #3473
Skybird
Soaring

In my post before, I forgot to insert the link I was about. Its about glide bombs. They are a game changer for Russia.

Old 05-19-24, 09:50 AM   #3474
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
Which I think what they exactly have done the Ukrainians solved the problem with Russian jammers.

Silence from our newspaper. Well in the beginning it was interesting to tell the people about it, but people lose interest, this must be why we aren't hearing about it in our news.

I think it is so.

Markus
The jamming is done via electronic anti-satellite (ASAT) but missiles have systems where the maps are onboard so that they always can hit target also the western ones and there are several ways to locate your position, certainly in old missiles where they did not had satellites to use. With the drones, we see Ukraine hit more targets than with artillery, even when one tank is full of several jammers.

Quote:

Last edited by Dargo; 05-19-24 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-19-24, 09:59 AM   #3475
Skybird
Soaring

On jamming, the Rujs sians imroved their jamming drmataically, Russia was already before the war the world's most competent in this, second to none. So it was no surprise that they learned to jam Excalibur ammuntions, Himars missiles, Storm Shadows and the likes. It sabout dropping the number of missile sgettign thoergh the dfences, and if Himars had a success rating of more than 90% and then gets pushed down to 50% or less, and half of the expensive Excalibur projectiles (self-guiding artillery rounds) get jammed off their tragets, then this make sitsel ffelt in rddcued combat results - and enormous costs, because these things are, different to gliding dumb bombs, expensive. Very. And they take long time to get produced. Tu7rning a dumb bomb into a glide boms, is something you do in half an afternoon, and it costs you just a few thousand coins instead of hundreds of thousand, or millions.

Thats a problem i have with Western militaries since years. Their enormous cost intensity at the price of dramatically reduced quantitative availability. That is not sustainable in a big war, worse: an attrition war. And we see it currently. In a war of attrition, not quality counts, but quantity. And only quantity. Quantity before everything else. Russia understands this. The West obviously not. This and is inherent brutalization and inhumanness is what makes russia's army, in a certain perspective, the possibly best army in the world. It enforces results - NO MATTER WHAT, where Western armies would fall back due to moral and ethical concerns. War is war, and war is mean and dirty. The Russians are very mean and very dirty, shy away from nothing, even towards their own fighters. No mercy for nobody. Only the cause counts. Thats utmost brutal and evil. But effective especially when you are superior in numbers and masses.
Old 05-19-24, 09:59 AM   #3476
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
In my post before, I forgot to insert the link I was about. Its about glide bombs. They are a game changer for Russia.

The problem with glide bombs is that Ukraine need planes to scare the Russian jet further away from the fronts.

Quote:
Old 05-19-24, 09:59 AM   #3477
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

These dumb bombs like the FAB500 is great to use as they can't be jammed. You can try to shoot them down as the glide through the air.

It is here Ukraines has high hopes for the F16 will make a different, where their task will be shooting down the Russian fighter jet who carry these Glide bombs

Markus

Old 05-19-24, 10:07 AM   #3478
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
On jamming, the Rujs sians imroved their jamming drmataically, Russia was already before the war the world's most competent in this, second to none. So it was no surprise that they learned to jam Excalibur ammuntions, Himars missiles, Storm Shadows and the likes. It sabout dropping the number of missile sgettign thoergh the dfences, and if Himars had a success rating of more than 90% and then gets pushed down to 50% or less, and half of the expensive Excalibur projectiles (self-guiding artillery rounds) get jammed off their tragets, then this make sitsel ffelt in rddcued combat results - and enormous costs, because these things are, different to gliding dumb bombs, expensive. Very. And they take long time to get produced. Tu7rning a dumb bomb into a glide boms, is something you do in half an afternoon, and it costs you just a few thousand coins instead of hundreds of thousand, or millions.

Thats a problem i have with Wetsenr militaries since years. Their enormous cost intensity at the price of dramatically reduced quantitative availability. That is not sustainable in a big war, worsE: an attrition war. And we see it currently. In a war of attrition, not quality counts, but quantity. And only quantity. Quantity before everything else. Russia understands this. The West obviously not.
The western armies has never fought against anything like what Russia is, those were not big armies with the equpment of Russia even when they did have Russian equpment it was not of the quality Russia has to defend Moscow.

Quote:

Last edited by Dargo; 05-19-24 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-19-24, 10:48 AM   #3479
Dargo
Admiral

Ukraine Has Enough Artillery Shells for the First Time in Two Years of War
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced that, for the first time since the full-scale invasion, Ukraine has secured a sufficient supply of artillery shells. “For the first time in years of war, not a single brigade is complaining about a lack of artillery shells. This has been the case for the past two months. However, there is still a lot of work to be done. The Czech initiative will continue. We are negotiating funding with all partners,” Zelenskyy stated during a press conference on May 16. https://united24media.com/latest-new...ars-of-war-381

Weekend Update 81: Much of the portrayed Russian success is based on prediction
Well its been quite a week. It has seen some of the most doom-laden reporting of the entire war since February 2022 (particularly in the New York Times) with prognostications that Russia is on the verge of a great success. However on the battlefield things are, as usual, hardly moving in the key front of the Donbas. Moreover, in the strategic air campaign, Ukraine seems actually to be showing great initiative and having success—with another large attack last night. This might be the week when there was the largest disconnect between what I see happening and how its being reported. This is not to say that Ukraine is succeeding and Russia failing—its just that the narrative of Russian success remains based on what they might accomplish, not what we have seen to this time.

Its best to start with the Russian offensive at Kharkiv, which has been described in the area of greatest Russian success and Ukrainian failure. The New York Times described it in a feature story as a “stunning” invasion which punched threw Ukrainian lines overrunning large areas. That campaign is now almost 10 days old and is entering a familiar pattern. After a modest amount of forward movement at start—advances have slowed significantly and losses are mounting up. ... https://phillipspobrien.substack.com...-the-portrayed By Phillips P. OBrien Professor of Strategic Studies.

Quote:
Old 05-19-24, 10:58 AM   #3480
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Shells-In the news here yesterday it was told that due to lack of ammos like shells Ukraine is only using 1000 to 1500 per day, while Russia use 10.000-15.000 per day.

I guess this must have changed to the better now for the Ukrainians.

More on this jamming thing.

What do we know exactly !?

Is there a different in amount of rockets/missiles being used against a target compared from the start of the war and now ?

Markus