SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-04-20, 07:50 AM   #3346
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Italy - the first country in the world to order a nationwide lockdown - is easing some restrictions.

The number of deaths there is at its lowest level since just after its lockdown began two months ago.

President Trump says he is confident of a vaccine by year's end but admits this is optimistic.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says there is "significant evidence" that virus came from Wuhan lab in China but offers no proof.

New Zealand reports no new cases for the first time in six weeks.

In Brazil, President Bolsonaro again criticises lockdown as cases exceed 100,000

Global confirmed cases exceed 3.5m and the number of deaths almost 250,000

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-20, 08:05 AM   #3347
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

In China’s southern Guangdong province, laws have kicked in across nine service industries (including public transport, hospitality, catering and the medical sector), preventing workers from discriminating against foreigners.

In Nigeria, businesses have reopened to try to restart the continent's largest economy.

Rwanda has loosened restrictions after 45 days of lockdown, even though a nationwide night-time curfew will be enforced and movement in and out of the capital, Kigali, is prohibited.

In South Africa people have been allowed to return to work but must continue to observe distancing, the wearing of masks and washing hands.

In Kenya, the health ministry has recorded a low turnout in its mass testing campaign after encountering unwillingness among members of the public.

In Tanzania, videos of night burials have been circulating on social media causing some to call into question the government's approach to the coronavirus pandemic.

Old 05-04-20, 08:15 AM   #3348
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Zoos, museums and hairdressers reopen in Germany, with some students also returning to school.

Small businesses like hairdressers are opening their doors in Spain, though they can only serve customers who have made appointments. Some of the country's islands will loosen restrictions even further, as they have not been as badly affected as the mainland.

After eight weeks in lockdown, Italy is finally lifting some of its restrictions. People will be able to visit relatives, parks are reopening, and bars and restaurants can do takeaway. About four million people are expected to go back to work, although face masks will be mandatory at work and on public transport.

School leavers go back to class in Austria, and senior exams take place for pupils in Hungary - though schools there remain closed.

Poland allows hotels, libraries, museums and shops to reopen, but hairdressers, restaurants and playgrounds remain shut.

Russian authorities have confirmed 10,581 new coronavirus infections, bringing the national total to 145,268.
It's the second day running that the country has reported over 10,000 new cases. Russia's official infection figures now surpass those of China, Turkey and Iran.

US President Donald Trump has warned that as many as 100,000 people could die of coronavirus in the US.
More than 67,000 people have already died with Covid-19 in the US.

India has asked migrants seeking to return to their home states to pay their own train fares, in a move that has caused outrage in the country.

Japan has extended its state of emergency until the end of May after a government meeting late on Monday.

Old 05-04-20, 08:32 AM   #3349
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Gravitas: 3 world leaders step up pressure on China

Old 05-04-20, 09:11 AM   #3350
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 05-04-20, 11:01 AM   #3351
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

The German football league now reports ten players in the first two divisions being tested positive and put into quarantine. Still the leagues 1 and 2 want to start matches in a couple of days.

Meanwhile Reuters reports on a secret, now no more secret, Chinese paper on internal Chinese fears of the fallout from the Virus for China, and warns of a possible war with the US.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN22G19C
Old 05-04-20, 02:55 PM   #3352
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 05-04-20, 05:50 PM   #3353
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Some thoughts

Yesterday Denmark was celebrating 75 years of liberation.
Due to this Corona the great celebration had been cancelled.

There was a little celebration in the national tv.

There I saw the Danish Queen and the Danish Primeminister standing less than 30-50 cm from each other.

Haven't we been told thousand of times to keep social distance of least 2 meters ?

Many thoughts went through my head, when I saw them standing there and later walked away, still closer than 1 meter.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-20, 06:00 PM   #3354
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Many thoughts went through my head, when I saw them standing there and later walked away, still closer than 1 meter.

Markus

Maybe they were just tested and found covid free?
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 04:35 AM   #3355
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The worldwide Covid-19 death toll is now above 250,000, according to Johns Hopkins University.

Nigeria, India and Israel are among the latest countries to start easing restrictions.

New Zealand prime minister discusses "Trans-Tasman travel bubble" with Australian cabinet.

Later on Tuesday, the UK is to begin testing a new contact-tracing app on the Isle of Wight.

The US records 1,015 virus deaths in 24 hours, the lowest one-day tally in a month.

The number includes those who have died with the virus and not necessarily because of it.

The US Treasury will borrow a record $3tn (£2.4tn) between April and June.

Old 05-05-20, 04:49 AM   #3356
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Virus-related deaths in UK care homes rose to 7,911 during the week ending 24 April, according to the Office of National Statistics (ONS) - 595 higher than the week before.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock says there is “high privacy” in the NHS contact-tracing app being trialled on the Isle of Wight.

The daily death toll in the US could reach 3,000 people a day by June, according to an internal Trump administration report obtained by the New York Times.
That's about a 70% increase from the current figure of 1,750.

Spain has gradually eased its lockdown measures - allowing people outside to exercise for the first time in weeks, for instance. But the government wants to extend the state of emergency by another two weeks on Wednesday, and the opposition says it will not back the move. Pablo Casado, leader of the opposition Popular Party, said it “makes no sense”

Officially, France recorded its first coronavirus cases on 24 January. But a Parisian doctor now says one of his patients had the virus in December. Amirouche Hammar was admitted to hospital with pneumonia last year, when the virus was thought to be confined to China.

Cafes and restaurants will reopen in Finland from 1 June, with pupils returning to school and borders partially reopening for essential travel and work from 14 May. Prime Minister Sanna Marin announced the moves on Monday, weeks after imposing strict lockdown measures in her country.

And a major study in Germany suggests up to 1.8 million people there may have been infected with the virus. The University of Bonn reported the figure after studying the town of Gangelt, which was badly affected in the outbreak.

With 3,900 fresh infections in the last 24 hours, India has seen its sharpest rise in daily cases yet, according to the health ministry.
The latest spike means the country now has 46,433 confirmed cases of Covid-19. This includes the more than 12,000 patients who have recovered or been discharged and the 1,568 who have died.

Old 05-05-20, 05:17 AM   #3357
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The German study from Heinmsberg that you quote above, Jim, is under fire. Its a so-called hotspot-study, and they fight bitterl yover how far this result from a small town could be generlaised to the whole population and country. Also, the author takes Flak fopr the way he released thre study. There is the suspicion that it is a comlaisant paper deli8vering material to justify early easing of lockdowns (by arguing with herd immunity).

For the time being i recommend: handle with care.

In Austria a recent study that maybe could be compared i n nsize foudn exactly the opposite: they had to reduce their expectations on dark numbers for ifneciton by a factor of 5 when they actually went out and counted people out in some districts, one by one, and tested them.

Test reliability in the past also was a severe issue, severe enough that many virologists said that antibody tests had ne useful meaning at all. I do not kn ow what antibody tests they used in Heinsberg or Austria, and whether it were newer tests with improved reliability. But older tests had reliability of 30%. Thats a waste of money and time. Thats also one of the reasons why the WHO advices against issuing immunity certificates.
Old 05-05-20, 06:23 AM   #3358
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The worldwide Covid-19 death toll is now above 250,000, according to Johns Hopkins University.
I wonder how many of those would be dead if they had all been treated in the early stages with $20 worth of hydroxychloroquine in the proper manner? Waiting until it was way too late ala our Veteran's Administration being the example of NOT the proper manner.

I'd bet hydroxychloroquine is how China stopped the virus there, and they won't even tell us that.

Last edited by em2nought; 05-05-20 at 06:33 AM. Reason: cynic
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 07:09 AM   #3359
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Pro-lockdown extremists in denial about why we did it in the first place

By Rich Lowry

We will be in a fight against the novel coronavirus for months, if not years, and yet it is time to declare mission accomplished on one very important goal.
The lockdowns of much of the country were undertaken “to flatten the curve” and largely to prevent the hospital system from being overrun. It was a near-run thing in New York and New Jersey, but the dykes held, thanks to the incredible sacrifices of front-line health workers.
Now, the rhetoric around the shutdowns has shifted, and not very subtly — flattening the curve and saving the hospitals are “out,” and not allowing any additional cases to emerge is “in.”
It’s difficult to remember, but flattening the curve was never supposed to be about eradicating the disease. A piece in the progressive Web site Vox featured a widely circulated version of the flattening-the-curve graph and noted that shutdown measures “aren’t so much about preventing illness but rather slowing down the rate at which people get sick.”
A viral Medium piece published in mid-March famously called the period of lockdowns to squelch the disease, the Hammer, and the subsequent period of living with it after the worst had been averted, the Dance. The article didn’t deny the seriousness of the disease; if anything, it was alarmist. Yet by the standards of the current debate, the piece is unacceptably lax.
“The time needed for the Hammer,” it said, “is weeks, not months.” After that, it predicted, “our lives will go back close to normal.” And it contemplated living in a fuzzy realm of trade-offs between important goals — or, as the author put it, “a dance of measures between getting our lives back on track and spreading the disease, one of the economy vs. health care.”

https://nypost.com/2020/05/04/pro-lo...e-first-place/
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 09:40 AM   #3360
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
I wonder how many of those would be dead if they had all been treated in the early stages with $20 worth of hydroxychloroquine in the proper manner? Waiting until it was way too late ala our Veteran's Administration being the example of NOT the proper manner.

I'd bet hydroxychloroquine is how China stopped the virus there, and they won't even tell us that.
I agree I haven't been back to the VA since March 2nd I am seriously afraid to go back

So what if I had it and now I don't ... I could wind up getting it just by going back
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan