Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-14, 01:43 AM   #3316
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 0

The Transport Secretary has thought of a way to reduce both the frequency and the fatality of train crashes; he's going to slash services by a third and raise fares by 80%.
Old 09-18-14, 07:25 AM   #3317
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

you got that right. I was also waiting at the local station yesterday to pick up son/grand daughter. Announcer on other platform: the 1611 to Longbridge is cancelled. A driver failed to arrive for work!
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 09-20-14, 03:54 AM   #3318
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Well that is just great for the Scots but us English have been screwed again by Toff Boy. Toff Boy makes a mad dash up to Scotland waving bags of money around saying you can have this and more if you vote no. Scotland bought it and now we in England pick up the bill thanks to Toff Boy!

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 09-20-14, 09:09 AM   #3319
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I think the same can be said for the other two party leaders as well.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 09-20-14, 09:47 AM   #3320
STEED
Lucky Jack

Off the radio looks like Toff Boy is going to stab Ed & Nick in the back, Toff Boy is bringing in some new rules for MP's, that rule is Scottish MP's can not vote on English issues.

Did a quick check of the big three....

Lab 40 MP's
Libs 11 MP's
Con 1 MP

That's what you get backing a Toff.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 09-20-14, 10:19 AM   #3321
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

I think you'll find that most Scots don't mind if their MP's won't be able vote on English matters, we don't give a toss, TBH. They can't vote on anything related to Scotland if it's already under the purview of Holyrood! The same applies to the Welsh and Northern Irish MP's as well.

But, be careful what you wish for.

It's Labour who are going to get shafted by the English votes on English matters regime at Westminster. They appear so thoroughly afraid of nationalism that the chances of re-labelling themselves as "English Labour" seem remote, at the moment....

The Conservatives, and/or UKIP, may well be the dominant force in English politics from now on.

Mind you, there is a silver lining for England. The more responsible for raising it's own revenue Holyrood becomes, the financial grant it receives from Westminster will reduce in proportion. Sooo, you won't be able to complain about subsidising Scotland anymore!

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 09-20-14, 02:10 PM   #3322
Red Devil
The Old Man

Who paid for a very expensive referendum?
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 09-20-14, 03:41 PM   #3323
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Who paid for a very expensive referendum?
The Scottish Government will pay for the Independence Referendum, but as it's funding is received from Westminster, everyone in the UK paid for it, you, me (a No voter) and people from Wales and Northern Ireland via the taxes we all pay:

https://fullfact.org/live/2014/sep/w...ferendum-35217

Why did I vote no?

I did not, and do not, trust a Holyrood administration to run the economy properly. This is regardless of political party. As things currently stand, it isn't responsible for actually raising most of the revenue it spends. What knowledge it has is going to be largely theoretical as it has no experience of actually raising finance to fund it's spending programmes. It has no real knowledge of the nitty gritty, if you like, of how to run a country. The Scottish economy is also unbalanced with too large a financial sector and way too many people in the state sector. There are also way, way too many people unemployed or in crappy part-time jobs which mean they have to claim benefits to survive. That is a huge drag that needs to be reformed.

The same applies to England, but on a far larger scale.

The devolution offer that the three amigos vowed to deliver gives Holyrood the chance to gain experience in actually running an economy, rather than spending money it's been allocated by another authority, in this case, Westminster. It will be responsible for it's decisions both good and bad, meaning that it has less excuse to blame Westminster. It will still do so, of course, if it's the SNP in power or Labour having to deal with a Conservative UK government. The same applies to Cardiff and Stormont.

What I find slightly frustrating, if you will, is that many in England seem to be of a "if I haven't got it, neither should they" mentality. What's wrong with thinking "if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. I want some!" instead?

I actually support and approve the idea of devolution in England. It isn't right that Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish MP's are able to vote on things in England that they and the English ones can't in their own countries as it's a devolved matter. The West Lothian question must be answered, and if that means "English Votes for English Matters" then that is only fair. It's also unfair that spending per head is higher in Scotland than elsewhere. Per head we actually generate more tax because of the oil revenue. With the conditions I wrote about above, because it'll be generating a greater proportion of it's own revenue, Holyrood's portion of the Barnett formula will reduce with time. If Westminster's smart (not guaranteed of course!) it will use the money saved by allocating it to the other areas of the UK.

All that this thread has accomplished in it's 222 pages is to let people vent their frustration about something they feel they can't really change. You can. If the referendum up here has done something right, is that it's re-engaged the general population in political activity which has put the political elite on notice that they can't ignore us any more. They do so at their peril as there are now four million-plus politically radicalised Scots who would be baying for their blood if they did. That's good democracy.

But, you don't need me to patronisingly lecture you. England's future is in it's own hands, it just needs to grasp it.

If that ultimately leads to the break up of the United Kingdom, then that's a risk that must be taken.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 09-21-14, 05:38 AM   #3324
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29299230

Well, that's a nuclear strike if ever I heard one...of course exactly how feasible it is is another matter...but considering the glacial movement of the minimum wage under the ConDems, this could get a few votes towards Labour if they advertise it right.
Old 09-21-14, 06:39 AM   #3325
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I take your point Jamie but NMW is going up to £6.50 (a rise of 19 pence/hour) next month so an extra £1.50 in six years time equates to a yearly rise of 25 pence...not all that much in the scheme of things.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 09-21-14, 07:06 AM   #3326
Red Devil
The Old Man

I was informed that NMW was going to £7.

I wonder what next, will Border counties try to change to north or south rule?

Will Mel Gibson get sap of the year for braveheart?

Will Alex Salmond make a hollywood film - Brave Arse?

Will The Orkneys go for home rule?

Will Denmark try and claim back the islands?

Will Whisky be on prescription?

Dont forget, these and more answers in the next episode of Westminster Walk, a multi part none ending soap on your left wing BBC.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 09-21-14, 07:52 AM   #3327
STEED
Lucky Jack

The minimum wage is a disgrace and will continual to be a disgrace, all the parties spout off BS on this one and care too note Labour's promise of £8p.h. to be by 2020.

The following bit of info came from the radio and this presenter is very much up on the world of Westminster. He said there are 5 million workers on benefits in the UK and I can state for a fact I'm one of them.

Most jobs are now PT or ZH, not many are FT. I only have a PT and dam lucky to get it, asked many times for a spot of OT and the answer always comes back no there is no extra work needs doing.

Cost of living is rising, personal debt is rising and our national debt is rising. There will be no end to this in and out of recession as I see it.

Old 09-21-14, 08:06 AM   #3328
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

That's the big problem, the cost of living, if that could be brought back under control then things would be a bit more manageable and minimum wage rises wouldn't be as necessary.

Might as well try to jump to the Moon while we're at it...
Old 09-21-14, 08:12 AM   #3329
STEED
Lucky Jack

Not forgetting the goal posts are always being moved by the government's of the day so they look good.

The truth is out there....Forget UFO's its the facts about our economy are being kept from us.

Old 09-21-14, 08:14 AM   #3330
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
That's the big problem, the cost of living, if that could be brought back under control then things would be a bit more manageable and minimum wage rises wouldn't be as necessary.

Might as well try to jump to the Moon while we're at it...
I agree.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics