SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-25-14, 04:35 AM   #316
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

The Great Moon Hoax this day back in 1835. They are born every minute.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...reat-moon-hoax
Von Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-14, 05:47 AM   #317
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1537 - The Honourable Artillery Company, the oldest surviving regiment in the British Army, and the second most senior, is formed.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 02:52 AM   #318
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

462 : Possible start of first Byzantine indiction cycle; ie 1 AM (5509 BC) – Creation of the world...now I can set my watch! 1482: Krim-Tataren plunders Kiev...unlike battle of Marengo, no chicken (Kiev) is served. Sounds like the same ol' goes in Ukraine today. Too many Tatars and no 'chicken in every pot'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 06:07 AM   #319
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

462 - Possible start of first Byzantine indiction cycle.

Old 09-01-14, 09:16 PM   #320
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

1914: Martha, named for George Washington's wife, dies in the Cincinnati Zoo; the last known living passenger pigeon. Required reading for bird lovers: http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/08/a_silver_lining_in_the_passeng.html 1983: A Korean Airlines Boeing 747 with 269 people was shot down by a Soviet fighter after entering Soviet airspace...a little too familiar IMHO

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 09-02-14, 04:34 AM   #321
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

44 BC: Queen Cleopatra VII of Egypt declares her son co-ruler as Ptolemy XV Caesarion She did it in September?? Augustus will have a say about that...31 BC: Final war of the Roman Republic: Battle of Actium - off the western coast of Greece, forces of Octavian (self-styled Augustus having his say?) defeat troops under Mark Antony and Cleopatra...one of history's greatest sea battles resultswise IMHO. 1666??: Great Fire of London begins at 2am in Pudding Lane, now renamed Monument Street, 80% of London is destroyed. Remarkable year for a fire IMHO!

Old 09-02-14, 11:55 AM   #322
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

1901: Vice President Theodore Roosevelt offers the advice "walk softly and carry a big stick" at the MINNESOTA State Fair. Best advice I ever got-goin' on 40 years!

Old 09-02-14, 03:42 PM   #323
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
1901: Vice President Theodore Roosevelt offers the advice "walk softly and carry a big stick" at the MINNESOTA State Fair. Best advice I ever got-goin' on 40 years!

He really said; "Speak softly but carry a big stick." Didn't he?

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 08:40 AM   #324
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

301 - San Marino, one of the smallest nations in the world and the world's oldest republic still in existence, is founded by Saint Marinus.

Old 09-04-14, 03:33 AM   #325
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default the day of days

476: Romulus Augustulus, last Western Roman Emperor, is deposed by Odoacer, ending the Roman Empire in Western Europe. The Middle Ages begin. Romulus Augustus, a youth of 16, is allowed to disappear into history, a remarkable achievement for either a deposed Roman or Middle Age ruler! 1954: Icebreakers, USS Burton Island (AGB-1) and USCG Northwind, complete first transit of Northwest Passage through McClure Strait.

Old 09-04-14, 08:24 AM   #326
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

422 - St Boniface I ends his reign as Catholic Pope.

Old 09-06-14, 12:29 AM   #327
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default the true hero of the Marne

1914: To alleviate the backlog of troops arriving by train, the military governor of Paris orders 700 cabs into service in history's first mass military vehicle convoy to ferry soldiers (5 per cab) to the battle. The Renaualt AG I, with taximeter-invented in 1891, becomes the instant legend of the Marne and the term taxi goes viral! Ferrying approximately 6,000 French reserve infantry troops to the front; the tactic worked and Paris was saved - barely. Events at the ensuing First Battle of the Marne led to a throwing back of German forces, ensuring Paris' safety - and military stalemate and with it the onset of trench warfare. The military governor had nought but praise for the drivers: "Once they understood the importance of the task they had to cooperate in, the taxi drivers displayed totally remarkable fervor," he wrote in his memoirs. "They felt proud of the service asked of them, and when I asked one if he wasn't afraid of the mortars, he responded: 'we'll do like our comrades, we'll go where we have to.'"
They nevertheless got paid, even if the penny-pinching War Ministry doled out less than one-third of the paycheck at the time. The rest was paid after the war was over. History does not record the tip!!!??Renault AG I

Old 09-06-14, 05:54 AM   #328
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1628 - Puritans from Masschusetts Bay Colony land at Salem.

Old 09-07-14, 04:09 PM   #329
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default The last battle of the Civil War? 1876

1876: As a resident of Northfield, Minnesota for four years at college, who kept a checking account at First National Bank of Northfield, the bank in question, a Civil War buff extraordinaire and an aficionado of the Old West generally, this one is dear to the heart: THE GREAT NORTHFIELD RAID! In the banner year of '76, which is witness to Wild Bill Hickock's demise and the Little Big Horn 'Last Stand' of George Armstrong Custer (and his family), the demise of the James/Younger gang at Northfield, Minnesota ranks a close #3. Jessie James, in the light of revisionist history: Some recent scholars place him squarely in a post civil war context of continued guerilla operations against Unionist interests in nasty politically charged post-war Missouri rather than as simply a murderous thief and train robber. That the rabidly pro-Union Pinkertons Detectives pursued him, even to the point of bombing his mother's house, horribly wounding her and killing a sibling, tends to put this argument forward. "Allen Pinkerton, the agency's founder and leader, took on the case as a personal vendetta. He began to work with former Unionists who lived near the James family farm." Clearly the War had not ended in 1865 at Appomattox for Missouri. And that was exactly the problem on the fateful day in Northfield...Veteran ex-Yankee farmers know a 'southern white' and the look of getaway horses on sight and the charade of armed 'cattle buyers' in long duster coats didn't hold up long. "The citizens ran to their homes or places of business to grab their derringers, pistols, shotguns, and rifles. J. S. Allen ran to his hardware/gun store and began loading and handing out whatever guns he could to every passerby near his store. The citizens then all ran to various places in town, including rooftops, porches, windows, sidewalks, and more. They began randomly opening fire on the five outlaws. In a matter of seconds, Division Street became a shooting gallery, with bullets flying and zipping in every direction from every possible location." In the blaze of fury tha followed, two town folk, including the bank teller were dead; two of the gang were dead; and five wounded. A third would die during the escape as a statewide posse hunted the gang down. Only Frank and Jessie James made home to Missouri. The notorious gang was destroyed: net take $26.70!!. The bullet holes are still visible on the bank and the Jessie James Day Rugby Tournament and reenactment battle is held annually! Beats the Tombstone AZ's OK Corral to pieces IMHO! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_James http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/jamesyoungergang/northfield.htmlFrank and Jessie James: rebel: GO HOME!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-07-14 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-08-14, 05:49 AM   #330
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1156 - Henry II Jasormigott leaves Bavaria.