SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-28-20, 04:29 AM   #3226
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

It's not going to be fun wearing a mask for the whole flight across the Pacific from now on.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0424081648.htm

Quote:
The best material for homemade face masks may be a combination of two fabrics

Quote:
One layer of a tightly woven cotton sheet combined with two layers of polyester-spandex chiffon -- a sheer fabric often used in evening gowns -- filtered out the most aerosol particles (80-99%, depending on particle size), with performance close to that of an N95 mask material.
Old 04-28-20, 06:19 AM   #3227
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ Even a breather mask with valves will get moist or even wet after half an hour, let alone a simple cloth one. I wonder how often you should wash/disinfect/exchange it

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 06:19 AM   #3228
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Nearly 25,000 deaths from all causes were recorded in the UK in week of the Easter bank holiday - 108% above expected number for time of year.

Separate figures show a third of all virus deaths in England and Wales are now occurring in care homes.

The UK held a minute's silence at 11:00 BST to remember key workers who have died.

BBC investigation finds that key protective health equipment was not in UK stockpile, despite warnings.

France and Spain are set to unveil plans to relax lockdowns that have been in place for several weeks.

Nigeria will also begin a gradual easing of virus lockdowns in certain areas from 4 May.

Global virus cases pass 3 million, with more than 200,000 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 06:31 AM   #3229
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

President Donald Trump has said he "can't imagine why" there has been a spike in calls about disinfectant to US emergency hotlines.

Prime Minister Edouard Philippe will lay out how France will slowly exit its lockdown restrictions from 11 May. There will be a debate followed by a vote on the plans, which controversially involve children returning to school against the advice of the national scientific council.

Official data from Germany’s Robert Koch Institute shows the reproduction figure has risen to around 1.0 again – meaning each infected person is passing on the virus to one other. Chancellor Angela Merkel has warned states not to ease restrictions too quickly, as both confirmed cases and the death toll move higher.

Both Spain and Greece will announce further ways of easing restrictions on Tuesday. Portugal’s government is holding a closed-door meeting with health officials, and has said the discussions are key in any move toward loosening the lockdown.

Police in the Indian city of Mumbai have been told to stay at home if they're older than 55, after three officers died of Covid-19.

Old 04-28-20, 06:36 AM   #3230
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-28-20, 07:03 AM   #3231
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has unveiled new guidance by the Scottish government, saying people should cover their faces when outdoors.

Malaysia's deputy health minister has been fined for violating the country's movement control order. Noor Azmi Ghazali has to pay $325 (£260) after a picture of him enjoying a meal at an Islamic school was uploaded to social media. Malaysia has introduced tough restrictions - and penalties - to stop the spread of the virus. Thousands have been prosecuted.

More than 2,200 Indonesians who were not recorded as having died with Covid-19 had acute symptoms of the disease, an investigation by Reuters news agency has found. Indonesia has recorded 765 deaths so far, but medical experts believe the figure is much higher.

The number of migrant workers infected with coronavirus in Singapore may be higher than current figures suggest, the director of medical services for the health ministry has said. The island nation currently has 15,000 confirmed cases - many of which are linked to the dormitories where many foreign workers live. However, Kenneth Mak said the numbers would eventually become clear, as each worker was being tested before they were allowed out of isolation.

Old 04-28-20, 10:24 AM   #3232
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Well, maybe it was me, I posted kind of a thought experiment like what you outlined in early March. China can and is willing to swallow high losses and not just lose civilian casualties, but even causes them by massacring its own people if it gets stubborn (Tianmen Plaza, 30 thousand slain). They could accept a temporary economic downfall if they could create an even greater downfall of their economic rivals on the global stage - because relatively this would make them stronger over their rivals. .

I mean, its war, isnt it. Western politicians do not see it as that, but I do. Its the preparation of globla conflict with pre-military means. See south chinese sea. See their intimidation politcies in the region.

I do not say it is like the narration above, but I would not be surprised if it turns out to be like that. Its a totalitarian, criminal, corrupt, inhumane and barbaric tyranny that rules China, and a new emperor tries to enthrone his family as a new dynasty there. The current leader is the most powerful leader china has ever had since centuries, more so than Mao.

I think every scenario including the thoughts you expressed above are being considered. I'm sure there are more people than we've been lead to believe thinking about it. Takes a great deal of restraint from falling into Thucydides Trap.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 11:20 AM   #3233
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ Even a breather mask with valves will get moist or even wet after half an hour, let alone a simple cloth one. I wonder how often you should wash/disinfect/exchange it
You SHOULD not at all, but we need to improvise.

Wearing an FFP2/3 mask for the duration of a typical supermarket visit, lets say 20 minutes, is okay, but not really comfortable. Telling this by experience, I do this since many weeks. It makes no difrerence whether it is FFP2 or FF3, has a valve or not, the bretahign resitence to me always feels the same. I sweat under it, breathg in the nose gets increasingly wet. Wearing these for 6-8 hours in a row I think is illusory. Key is to have the metal wire over the nose in absolutely the right form, else you blow your breath right into your eyes all the time, increasing the risk of needing to touch the area for fixing it later on. I hang up a used mask at my trousers belt when bicycling home, the wind removes all moisture within minutes, which is key. Ther emjst be a breathign resitence, if there is none, you soak in air at the rims, and then the air gets not filtered by the filter material. When breathing out, the air should leave through the filter wall again, or through the valve, if the mask has one. Note: a mask with such a filter reduces the protection others get from you wearing that mask! Becasue any virus in your breath leaves the mask unfiltered by that valve when you exhale. Talking not about completely neutralising this protection benefit of the others, but reducing it.

The virus load of such a mask will, vanish all by itself if you just give it time. If this viorus lives on carbox for 24 hours and steel and plastic for 3 days, you should probably be safe regading virus after 1 day, and I would nti not even think of virusa in it anymore after three days. Thats why I have a few of these amsks - to rotate them through and give each of them a 3 days rest after one day of using it.

Bacteria is a much reater cioncern, thus the need to rmeove moisture as fast a spossible. Some "experts" sometimes say you should put this m ask into a plastic bag or a sealed box and keep it tight until arriving home, well, that is a nice breeding climate for bacteria and it is dark and moist and much of what bacteria like. Keep it in the open, I say, let the wind touch it, sunlight/UV. Use a hot iron on it at home (minimum 70°C but noit more than 80°C to noit harm the material itself or the structuzre of the fibres). Bake it in an oven for half an hour at same temperatures. You can consider to emerge it in hot water 60°C and add a hygienics washing fluid. I would not wash any type of mask in a washing machine, it might break the structure of the fleece or textile too easily.

Dry them well before using them again.

There are models avialable in germany whcih i still must test, textile masks that thus do not prptect yopurself, but the others form you, they have thin layers of silver ions in them like being used in filters for water purifiers. This silver doe snot kill vorus, as far as I know, but it kills bacterias, and thus it might be worth to try such masks out. They dense cotton layers on the outside and give a good impression. If someobdy thinks he must not want to protect himself efficiently (you cannot do that with textile masks and surgiucla amsks), and just wantr to wear an alibi mask to meet legal obligations, this model might be a good choice.

Myself, i sweat eaisly and dso not like summer temperatures at all. I still prefer to wear FFP2/3 masks inside buuilding,s shops etc, and no mask at all outside, in the open - but here actively avpoiding people by many meters. Which is not difficult for me, since I live very much withdrawn and a bit avoidant of people in general. Best proiteciton these days you can get is - avoid people. As I dsaid earlier today: those 1.5-2 m are notz enoughk, they are just an alibi to allow them to ease lockdown reuglations. You need to want a distance of 8 meters and more, depending on the wind and air streams. You also want spacing not just i8n spoace, but in time: do not walk through positions of somebody who stiull stood there and b reathed in and out seconds before you. Avoid.

Nothing of all this is esoteric or phobic or special rocket science. Just using reason and plain thought is enough.

In the end, only FFP masks realyl amkese sense. Anythign else that gets claimd owes to the fact that we still have not sufficjent FFPO masks for everybody, and that it is unrealistic to wear FFP masks for hours if doing heavy work without compromsiing its efficiency: these masks should not be worn if soaking with moisture.

We have the yearly owner's assembly of the house I live in coming up in a few weeks. I already said that this year I will oppose presence meetings, and will not meet. Some are angry at me now, but I do not care. Its no emergency. Only emergencies and circumstances that make it a must or make it inevitable to accept close presence of others, are acceptable. A formality is no emergency. Health (and life) goes before legal formalities.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-28-20 at 11:29 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 11:42 AM   #3234
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-28-20, 11:47 AM   #3235
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock says testing will be expanded to all care home residents and staff.

Daily figures of deaths in care homes will be published from Wednesday.

Figures show a third of all virus deaths in England and Wales are now occurring in care homes.

UK hospital death toll now 21,678, a rise of 586 on the previous day.

France's PM Edouard Philippe says 62,000 lives were saved in a single month during lockdown.

He told the French assembly that shops would reopen on 11 May but not bars and restaurants.

US House of Representatives abandons plans to return to Washington next week on medical advice.

Global virus cases pass 3 million, with more than 200,000 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University.

Old 04-28-20, 04:07 PM   #3236
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Some of you mentioned some weeks ago, there could be shortage of food, especially from our farmers, because the borders is closed and those thousand of workers from Poland, Romania and other Eastern countries who use to take the trip to countries like Germany to work in the farming area which is impossible due to those closed border.

I forgot to mention when this was posted in this thread, that the Swedish Primeminister have said to Swedish tv.

- "There are thousands of strong young men and women who have, because of this Corona crisis lost their job
They could do the same job in our field, as workers from Poland and other Eastern country use to do each year "

And he's correct, as long there's labour who can do those jobs there's not really any shortage of food....not yet.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 04:20 PM   #3237
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

In the last three (3) months and three (3) days ... 1-25-2020

Only one member has contracted the virus and got over it

Not too bad, uh?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 04:27 PM   #3238
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
In the last three (3) months and three (3) days ... 1-25-2020

Only one member has contracted the virus and got over it

Not too bad, uh?
Hm, this member at my end of the wire knew three forum-non-members via internet for many years who are no more there. Pretty much high a quota, I must say. "Distant" feels different. I do not preach self-protection for no reason.
Old 04-28-20, 04:38 PM   #3239
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Some of you mentioned some weeks ago, there could be shortage of food, especially from our farmers, because the borders is closed and those thousand of workers from Poland, Romania and other Eastern countries who use to take the trip to countries like Germany to work in the farming area which is impossible due to those closed border.

I forgot to mention when this was posted in this thread, that the Swedish Primeminister have said to Swedish tv.

- "There are thousands of strong young men and women who have, because of this Corona crisis lost their job
They could do the same job in our field, as workers from Poland and other Eastern country use to do each year "

And he's correct, as long there's labour who can do those jobs there's not really any shortage of food....not yet.

Markus
He misses one thing, though. For exmaple over here in Germany many German students enthusiastically ran to the farmers and volunteered for example for harvesting asparagus.

Have you ever tried that yourself? I can assure you, its no pleasure, but quite brutal if you are not used to it by many weeks doing it.

Its no pleasure. Very serious back pain, and slow working speed. Most people quit by the end of the first week, and they are ruinous for the farmers, because they want to get paid, but can harvest only a fraction of the asparagus that foreign season workers can harvest with their many years of routine and hardened backs. The difference is the Ger,man harvests one basket, and the skilled season worker in that time harvests 6, 7, 8 baskets, if not more.

Many farmers do not even try to find German helpers, even send them away, being taught by past experiences that were not worth it.

To huge parts, this is just political opportunism by desktop geniuses who do not know what they are talking of. Farmers do not just need hands wanting to help. They need hands whose owners have some experience and know what to do with them. Else it does not pay off financially, because who works for free anyway, even more so hard work on the fields...? A farmer who must pay a wage must see ther work result correpsnding to it, else its a loss, and its cheaper to just plow the field and fruits under.

What indeed gets done over here.
Old 04-28-20, 04:47 PM   #3240
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

^ I know it's a hard job doing these farming and garden things.

Maybe this was the reason he(the Swedish primeminister) said young strong men and women.
yes the payment isn't that great

I try to remember if he/they mentioned something regarding payment to those who volunteered.

If it should be severe, this food shortage, do you think our government will enforce young men and women to do these thing-force them to do work they don't like, such as working with farming or gardening or maybe in the forrest ?

Forgot something...you mentioned financially.

But when there's shortage of food, especially food from our farmers and gardeners, can we then talk about finances ?
(Can't get it right, looks so wrong)

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan