SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-28-08, 08:36 AM   #301
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

I'm sure people with older or cheaper computer systems would love to have some of the beauty of this mod, PT.

Without getting into too much detail...

My system is currently based on an Athlon64 X2 4400+ Dual Core CPU, VIA K8M800 Chipset Motherboard, 2GB DDR2 667mHz Dual Channel RAM, 250GB Seagate 7200rpm Hard Drive, and an ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB DDR2 AGP video card.

It was more or less top-of-the-line, three years ago. How does that stack up for running your water mod? :hmm:

That's as good as it's going to get for a long time to come because I have a mortgage, a wife, and all the little pains and expenses that I can stand.

I sometimes do miss the days when I could drop $2,000 on building a new computer every year but then I wouldn't have the greater joy of Mrs. Paper in my life.

So I vote "YES" for a Thomsen's Water Lite.
Old 10-28-08, 01:41 PM   #302
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf Paper
I'm sure people with older or cheaper computer systems would love to have some of the beauty of this mod, PT.

Without getting into too much detail...

My system is currently based on an Athlon64 X2 4400+ Dual Core CPU, VIA K8M800 Chipset Motherboard, 2GB DDR2 667mHz Dual Channel RAM, 250GB Seagate 7200rpm Hard Drive, and an ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB DDR2 AGP video card.

It was more or less top-of-the-line, three years ago. How does that stack up for running your water mod? :hmm:

That's as good as it's going to get for a long time to come because I have a mortgage, a wife, and all the little pains and expenses that I can stand.

I sometimes do miss the days when I could drop $2,000 on building a new computer every year but then I wouldn't have the greater joy of Mrs. Paper in my life.

So I vote "YES" for a Thomsen's Water Lite.
Dont worry about it. I'm sure that with your computer you can run my mod without a sweat!

I'm pretty sure that anybody with a computer around this:

2.6ghz single core cpu
1 gb ram
256mb video

can run this mod, if playing the game at the natural 1024x768 resolution. It's not that heavy. I think that, IMHO, 15-20 fps is playable.

Give it a go, Graf, and tell me what it feels like!
Old 10-28-08, 03:37 PM   #303
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Dont use external/bridge view in harbor, It is a FPS lower even on m machine.
Old 10-28-08, 08:24 PM   #304
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force
Dont use external/bridge view in harbor, It is a FPS lower even on m machine.
I'm always at 60 flat, cos I have v-sync, so it cant go over 60.

Means it cant be that heavy.

In port the fps can drop like TF said due to lots of ships to simulate (CPU) and lots of reflections to render (VGA). Same thing goes to large convoys.
Old 10-29-08, 01:36 AM   #305
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

I've never had a problem with harbor traffic and large convoys in GWX, even on my old setup that used a 2.4Ghz Single Core Athlon, KT4V Chipset Mobo, 2GB DDR266 RAM, and my Radeon X1650 Pro AGP video card that I've grown so fond of.

As a matter of fact, I switched to ATI from nVidia because of the particle bug in SH3 that plagues nVidia users. My SH3 runs much more smoothly as a result.

Large particle effects, like a tanker exploding, do sometimes cause minor lag but only because I like to use the external camera to zoom in and watch my kills as they go to the bottom.

I think having what was once considered a beefy video card helps a lot. 512MB of video RAM is still nothing to sneeze at, especially with older games, but I've heard that many newer games recommend a vid card with 1GB (!) of RAM and even 2GB is beginning to become the standard.

I'll let you know how things turn out with your mod, PT. Right now, I'm still busy getting all my software and games reinstalled and configured.

15-20 FPS may be playable, but it's no fun having jerky video. I'm hoping I'll still have decent framerates with your mod.

It's going to be an all-day project just to set up GWX 2.1 and make sure all the mods I love don't conflict with anything else.
Old 10-29-08, 02:51 AM   #306
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 4

PT can you put the moon relections back in when you make your next release? The mod for OLCE2 to add them changes the scene.dat as does your mod. Thanks!
Commander Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 05:34 PM   #307
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Gizmo
PT can you put the moon relections back in when you make your next release? The mod for OLCE2 to add them changes the scene.dat as does your mod. Thanks!
I'm planning something more interesting for the moon...
Old 10-29-08, 08:48 PM   #308
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
I'm very happy to see you finally got your new rig, Wolfe!

I know the feeling, it's great. I got my new one two months ago, and it's a freaking bullet.

You must be having orgasms looking at the water with a resolution like that. What mod are you using to change your resolution, and how does it work? I've tried that rez fix, but my game crashes with that...

I have a 19" wide, so would be great to be able to play in 1440x900
Its soo weird how this game and others run now. Day and night difference.

All the latest games I can max out setting and all runs beautifully smooth no glitchs no lags no drops in FPS. All crisp and clean.

When I sail in the sea with my U-boat the water flows by my sub wonderfully.

I can't go back...

So when modders like yourself make game even better will I can't refuse to try it.
I'm trying to make a short teaser. I have fraps but I can't record it at rez 1680xx1050 only default resolution. I believe the maker of SH3 rez fix causes this problem. A shame I'm am trying to contact the guy but no luck.

Plus I'm having trouble with fraps recording sound from a 64bit system. Doesn't seem to find the right input.:hmm: Working on it.

I'm a gamer if my gear isn't at least a par then I can't play right. Don't laugh but when I'm in the 2D mod the FPS passes 5000.

Great work on the mod dude. I just really like how fast the games load up now.

Before I could get a drink and setup some snacks before I was in the dock waiting.

Now I can't do that anymore. lol.

With vsync on I get a flat 60FPS because of the set LCD screen resolution at 1680x1050. CRTs don't have that problem. When Vsync is off my average on deck is 99 to 107. Highest 139 or such and lowest 79. That with other programs running in the backround too.

Great mod addition PT thanks.
Old 10-30-08, 12:34 AM   #309
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

I still prefer CRT monitors for gaming. They're much more vibrant and responsive.

The picture on an LCD looks dead and washed out to my eyes and the shadows tend to be too black while the highlights tend to be too white, not to mention the slight blurring that you get when there's a lot of action going on.

I realize this may not be true with a quality brand LCD monitor but the low to mid-range monitors that are more in line with my budget still suffer from these problems.

Okay, back to work. I'm having serious SH3 withdrawals so I need to keep working on setting up my computer!

Looking forward to the beauty of this mod, PT!
Old 10-30-08, 10:20 AM   #310
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

You guys shouldn't worry about FPS.

Most monitors at set to 60hz, so even if your card produces 500fps, your monitor only shows 60.

Besides, the human eye cannot pick anything above 30fps, so why bother?
Old 10-30-08, 11:03 AM   #311
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 4

There is alot more to smoothness of motion than just the FPS our eyes can see or your monitor can display. Generating high framerates has many benifits even when the monitor does not refresh at the same rate. Here is a decent write up of some of the facts related.

Also, not everyone's eyes and/or tastes are the same. You should also note that running your video card at max power for extended periods typically doesn't work out too well with stock coolers or stock power supplies. In other words, it is nice to have a card that can generate more frames than you use so it doesn't ran at max constantly. Most devices are not intended to be maxed for very long.

I, for one, have noticed that I can see a great deal more detail in this regard than most of my freinds. For unkown reasons, I can spot a 2/1000 difference in size with the naked eye when working in machining, and notice a change of FPS at anything less than ~73 (yes, my glasses are required to see the end of my nose). In contrast, I have found that the majority of my customers don't even notice if their CRT is running at 60hz and their eyes are bleeding.

Another note is that some high end TFT and LCD displays can run at higher refresh rates than 60, and look much better when they do.

I don't intend to argue that you are wrong, but just that many people can see a greater difference than you are apparently bothered by.
Commander Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 01:32 PM   #312
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

My eyes are most comfortable when my monitor's refresh rate is set to 85 Hz. 60 Hz gives me a headache after thirty minutes of staring at the screen. In fact, 60 Hz reminds me too much of the flicker effect you used to see with those antique movie projectors.
Old 10-30-08, 01:34 PM   #313
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

I have 60 Hz, I have no flickering issue, are you wearing glasses when looking at it. Glasses give me a head ach when looking at my monitor.
Old 10-30-08, 04:28 PM   #314
SeaWolf U-57
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 92
Default good mods

Once again it seems that no matter what you say there is someone out there who knows better …. I don’t even worry about what frame rate I get on my machine as long as the game is running smooth what doe’s it matter I go to the bridge sailing out the harbour at sea and attacking a convoy using the deck gun with no problems ..the only one is when a fighter plane attacks me with his machine guns firing and the small window appears showing it.
Some machines and monitors handle it better than others simple as that so why all the rubbishing of one of the best mod enhancements to be released for ages then.
Also you ship idea sounds good I will try it when it is released but if I don’t like it I wont use it. See easy isn’t it.
GWX 2.1 fantastic and I am looking forward to GWX3.0 but I really do get aggrieved hearing the words “its not historically correct” all the time it’s a game all I wonted was a flags on sub option but no up comes the wall again. ….if I could find out what makes the radar and radio antenna’s rotate I would stick to Sea wolves missions. Why didn’t Raceboy ever complete his work on the flags I know someone else tried to do it but the files were flawed and cause problems

Your sound and sea mods are the best keep up the good work
SeaWolf U-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 05:13 PM   #315
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1957
Once again it seems that no matter what you say there is someone out there who knows better …. I don’t even worry about what frame rate I get on my machine as long as the game is running smooth what doe’s it matter I go to the bridge sailing out the harbour at sea and attacking a convoy using the deck gun with no problems ..the only one is when a fighter plane attacks me with his machine guns firing and the small window appears showing it.
Some machines and monitors handle it better than others simple as that so why all the rubbishing of one of the best mod enhancements to be released for ages then.
Also you ship idea sounds good I will try it when it is released but if I don’t like it I wont use it. See easy isn’t it.
GWX 2.1 fantastic and I am looking forward to GWX3.0 but I really do get aggrieved hearing the words “its not historically correct” all the time it’s a game all I wonted was a flags on sub option but no up comes the wall again. ….if I could find out what makes the radar and radio antenna’s rotate I would stick to Sea wolves missions. Why didn’t Raceboy ever complete his work on the flags I know someone else tried to do it but the files were flawed and cause problems

Your sound and sea mods are the best keep up the good work
Thank you very much, kind sir!