SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-10-16, 12:57 PM   #3091
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Just installed SH4 v1.5 on a new computer. Added JSGME, after having the game run on Windows10, resetting my game graphic option to match my 1920x1080 resolution. While back in Windows, I had JSGME take its first "Snapshot" of my new game files, then "Activated" the FOTRSU .40 Beta to see what's up with jlds's question. Started a new Campaign from Pearl using the First of 1943 as the starting point with a Gato sub. The January 3, 1943 start date had my Command Room dials in-tact. Sonar, Radar, Bridge looked and worked as expected. I know this isn't the same as a "promotion" to a Gato in February 28, 1942.....I'll have to do more checking.

What does tell me something is wrong is that the Museum CTD's while loading. How could this be? When the last I was trying FOTRSU several versions ago....all was well with the Museum?? Who's been monkeying around with a working edition? One step forward, two steps back isn't how this mod should be developed.

Since I was taken back to my desktop, I removed FOTRSU .40 Beta from "activation" and had JSGME "Compare Snapshot" of the fresh install I did the other day. I found 7 Removed files from the stock game. This shouldn't be...although 2 of them are expected. For whatever reason that stems from the 1.5 version of the game, two of the "Removed" files has to do with German flags from the Textures folder. For some reason, the game developers have removed these two flag images from the original stock game. It happens every time you have the game run for the first time.

The other 5 files "Removed" were found in the "Sea" folder, under the NPL_Conte_Verde\EuroLiner files. The .dat, .dsd, .sim, .zon, and the shp.dds are missing. Why are they missing from the stock game after having FOTRSU mod added/removed from the game? This stock game corruption has to be fixed before letting the Beta out for use.
That is what is perplexing CapnScurvy. Everyone seems to get a different result with the install and / or un-install of the mod. I have no issues with the Museum on one computer, but I do on the other. Did you try to run the Museum before you went out in a boat? Or did you do it right after loading the game? On some folks' computers, that seems to matter, though it shouldn't.

The files deleted I'm not sure about. If we're trying to "take out the trash", maybe that should be a separate first step in the mod's install, and not a concurrent one. That way, JSGME is able to restore back a "clean" Stock game. Files that are deleted are supposed to be "extra" files, such as a left-over TGA that already has a DDS file in that folder.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 01:00 PM   #3092
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
No joy trying that...oh well. I imagine it will be figured out eventually. I will keep playing with the settings.
So still no external view if you want it?

Old 12-10-16, 01:43 PM   #3093
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I'll be downloading the FOTRSU .40 Beta onto my XP computer next, to see what it does with the mod (or what the mod does to that game setup).

The fact that this was a spanking new formatted disk, with a fresh new install of the v1.5 stock game. With a new install of JSGME, and taking a snapshot of my clean game files with only JSGME added (one first run of the game, to set the graphic options to suit the 1920x1080 monitor under its belt), there is no reason to have corruption except for the single added FOTRSU mod. When I ran the game for the first time (not modded), I did open the Museum to see how things ran on this new Windows10 OS. All went well, no issues.

There's something stinking about this. I'll be putting those "Removed" files back into my stock game, but for the average person who doesn't expect this behavior, they had better check their stock game files for corruption.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 12-11-16 at 01:15 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 02:41 PM   #3094
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Cant seem to get this to work. Any suggestions? I thought I heard something about screen settings affecting it but I am not sure. Are there any other game settings that affect it?
Sniper, when you set the game to difficult mode or higher the external camera is shut off. Just go into graphics options and turn it back on. You have to do this in port.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 02:49 PM   #3095
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
I'll be downloading the FOTRSU .40 Beta onto my XP computer next, to see what it does with the mod (or what the mod does to that game setup).

The fact that this was a spanking new formatted disk, with a fresh new install of the v1.5 stock game. With a new install of JSGME, and taking a snapshot of my clean game files with only JSGME added (one first run of the game, to set the graphic options to suit the 1920x1080 monitor under its belt), there is no reason to have corruption except for the single added FOTRSU mod. When I ran the game for the first time (not modded), I did open the Museum to see how things ran on this new Windows10 OS. All went well, no issues.

There's something stinking about this. I'll be putting those "Removed" files back into my stock game, but for the average person how doesn't expect this behavior, they had better check their stock game files for corruption.
Capn, we're finding that with over 8,000 files JSGME doesn't always do a good job of uninstalling the mod and restoring the stock files. I'm going to estimate that about 1/10 to 1/5 of the time JSGME doesn't restore the stock game correctly.

You've done exactly the right thing. Right after you install the game and JSGME, before you run the game or install any files, save a game snapshot. Then, whenever you uninstall the mod compare snapshots. If they are not the same, reload the stock files you're missing.

Rather than try to diagnose everything I just delete everything from the game directory except the MODS folder and copy everything from my SH4Pristeen directory, which also contains MultiSH4, Large Address aware and MultiSH4. If you do a file compare after that you'll see that order is again restored to the universe.

There is a theory that the mods in the MODS directory are what get corrupted, but JSGME never writes to these files, only reads from them. I've never seen an instance of corrupted mod files in the MODS directory. I keep the zipped files in there for quick restoration just in case the unzipped mods ever have corruption but in nine years I've never had to do that.
Old 12-10-16, 06:59 PM   #3096
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Definitely different, and "No, no one has reported that yet..." I wonder how busy CapnScurvy is and get him to look at that, since he's really good with the interiors?... You went from Manila to Fremantile, and now to Pearl?... I've started from Pearl before with a Gato and didn't have that, but it wasn't a "promotion"...

btw, have you installed any other mods?
Yes,
Bigger Better Protractors (for my older eyes)
changed "max Fire range" to 6000 in Sim.cfg
and replaced AI_sensors.dat in Library with the one from TMO's Easier AI mod.
Yeah, I'm bad but I like those changes and didn't think they could effect the dials in the sub as they haven't with all the other modded versions (including the original FotRS) I've been playing. WOuld you agree?
Old 12-10-16, 07:00 PM   #3097
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177
Uploads: 0

Quote:
So still no external view if you want it?
correct sir...In game I click on the icon but nothing happens. I have it selected in the game options prior to my first patrol.
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 08:02 PM   #3098
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
correct sir...In game I click on the icon but nothing happens. I have it selected in the game options prior to my first patrol.
As you can see from all my screenshots from the external camera, as shipped, the mod has external camera available.

Anybody else unable to use the external camera? Remember, for difficulty difficult or above you must go into graphics options and tic the box for no external camera so it is not checked.

We'd appreciate any reports of the external camera not working!
Old 12-11-16, 12:21 AM   #3099
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Yes,
Bigger Better Protractors (for my older eyes)
changed "max Fire range" to 6000 in Sim.cfg
and replaced AI_sensors.dat in Library with the one from TMO's Easier AI mod.
Yeah, I'm bad but I like those changes and didn't think they could effect the dials in the sub as they haven't with all the other modded versions (including the original FotRS) I've been playing. WOuld you agree?
I wouldn't think initially that any of them would have anything to do with it, but if you've still got the weirded gauges, remove the TMO Easier AI mod, and see what happens. If nothing changes, then put it back in and change the "max Fire range" back to what it was, and see what happens. If no change, do the same with the Bigger Better Protractors, which would be my least-suspect "suspect" on the list... Be careful of their order, but I'd get the Easier AI out of there first, but if it's 3rd up in JSGME, remove the 2 below it, in order, get rid of the 3rd, then put the other two back in. In other words, only one change at a time. Let us know if you have any changes please.

Old 12-11-16, 06:49 AM   #3100
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Quote:
The other 5 files "Removed" were found in the "Sea" folder, under the NPL_Conte_Verde\EuroLiner files. The .dat, .dsd, .sim, .zon, and the shp.dds are missing. Why are they missing from the stock game after having FOTRSU mod added/removed from the game? This stock game corruption has to be fixed before letting the Beta out for use.
I tested this out and I can confirm that the same happened with my uninstall of FOTRSU too, all files were put back in place from my sh4 backup folder.
I haven't had the museum crash on me yet either in campaign or viewing it from the menu, just a wild guess on my part but me thinks it could be a windows resources issue.
Old 12-11-16, 09:01 AM   #3101
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I wouldn't think initially that any of them would have anything to do with it, but if you've still got the weirded gauges, remove the TMO Easier AI mod, and see what happens. If nothing changes, then put it back in and change the "max Fire range" back to what it was, and see what happens. If no change, do the same with the Bigger Better Protractors, which would be my least-suspect "suspect" on the list... Be careful of their order, but I'd get the Easier AI out of there first, but if it's 3rd up in JSGME, remove the 2 below it, in order, get rid of the 3rd, then put the other two back in. In other words, only one change at a time. Let us know if you have any changes please.
Ok, removed both the "max fire range change" in Sim.cfg and TMO Easier AI (AI_sensors.dat in Library) and Bigger Better Protractors. Result gauges now appear! Good! Put each one of these "mod" changes back separately, checked the control room view after each, and on each case the dials remained visible(huh!!). So problem has dissappeared and I don't know caused it!
Moving on I guess!
Old 12-11-16, 09:17 AM   #3102
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Ok, removed both the "max fire range change" in Sim.cfg and TMO Easier AI (AI_sensors.dat in Library) and Bigger Better Protractors. Result gauges now appear! Good! Put each one of these "mod" changes back separately, checked the control room view after each, and on each case the dials remained visible(huh!!). So problem has dissappeared and I don't know caused it!
Moving on I guess!
Best guess: JSGME made a mistake on your original installation but fixed it on replacement. We are definitely pushing the limits of Windows, Windows Explorer, SH4 and JSGME.
Old 12-11-16, 09:56 AM   #3103
propbeanie

Quote:
Moving on I guess!
Also, do you know if you put them back in the game in the same order? I'm going to try to recreate that later today on my machine with the same mods. Were you in port when you applied them? Did you maybe bring in a previous save? I'm just after the details for the recreation.

Old 12-11-16, 10:25 AM   #3104
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRobbins
Capn, we're finding that with over 8,000 files JSGME doesn't always do a good job of uninstalling the mod and restoring the stock files. I'm going to estimate that about 1/10 to 1/5 of the time JSGME doesn't restore the stock game correctly.
I've been aware of JSGME's short comings for years.....never pull out a mod out of sequence from the mod activation order that it was put in. Follow the simple rule: "Last mod in, First mod out". OR, give JSGME plenty of time to add mods to the game, and allow time for JSGME to remove from activation mods before you shut down the computer. JScones, the creator of JSGME used to be on these forums, his posts are still around. He knew JSGME wasn't fool proof, that's why he put the "Snapshot" feature into JSGME to give users a way to check the original stock files for corruption. We should all follow good modding practices to allow JSGME to work as well as it can.

I didn't know that JSGME had an issue with size. If size of mods like FOTRSU .40 Beta has become too large for JSGME to keep up, I suggest the mod should be broken down into two or three parts...allowing JSGME to digest the file modifications to the stock game in manageable pieces. RR that's your department.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-16, 11:21 AM   #3105
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Also, do you know if you put them back in the game in the same order? I'm going to try to recreate that later today on my machine with the same mods. Were you in port when you applied them? Did you maybe bring in a previous save? I'm just after the details for the recreation.
They came out and back in in same order, I was not in port, and I used the same save to lok at results. My first restart of the Save after removing the mods showed the dials details, Saame after each restore of the mods sequentially in order that I removed them.
BTW. the versions of the Easier AI mod I use only contains the range change in Sim.cfg, and AI_sensors.dat (June 14 2010) and Ai_Visual_Sensors.dat(June 14 2010) in Library.