SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-09, 12:51 AM   #3076
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0

USS Cod, late 43. After setting out from our new home in Milne Bay we turned north up towards our patrol area of Pelieu Island. We entered into our patrol area in the middle of the night. Our trim dive early the next morning was almost a disaster as the captain ordered a depth much beyond what the boat could handle, at 370 the first sounds of shorts were heard the damage reports started coming in, the captain blew ballast and accelerated back to flank to get up to the surface faster. We came up with nearly 75% damage. As the day wore onwe picked up a contact on the surface radar. After a quick plot on the map the contact was headed south-west at around 12 knots. We turned onto a paralell course and opened up to flank to get ahead of the contact. Then into an intercept point. We were well ahead of the contact as we slipped beneath the surface to periscope depth.

The contact it turned out was a Momi patrol vessel completely stripped of any ASW equipment. Bingo, warship target no possible chance of being attacked in reply and weaker engines than her DD equivilant. We slipped into our attacked position well ahead of the contact and running. She pulled into position and we fired off a spread of 3 torpedos. First 2 set to slow, shallow and contact detonations, 3rd was fast and fired about 30 seconds later. All 3 fish slammed into the target. The second torp broke her in two. The third slammed into the stern. She was gone. 2 lifeboats were observed in the water but they must've been thrown clear during the explosions. No crew were observed on the water. We surfaced and sailed north again to resume our original course. Elated at our success after the near disasterous trim dive.
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 04:33 AM   #3077
mcf1
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 10

I tried to make this image to look like a painting
mcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 11:59 AM   #3078
Hotmanandre
Sparky

Downloads: 194

Beautiful show
Hotmanandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 12:41 PM   #3079
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

surfacing east of Honshu
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 05:16 PM   #3080
sergbuto
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 15

Wartime skydiving and parashute accuracy landing

No skydiving or parashute accuracy landing for neutrals though
Old 09-15-09, 11:03 AM   #3081
sergei
Sea Lord

Night action in the East China Sea

Old 09-15-09, 07:38 PM   #3082
ReFaN
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 101

Is this Good or Bad?

Liverpool is my relegion, Anfield is my church. True believers never walk alone.
ReFaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 06:51 AM   #3083
Gunfighter
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 133
Default From a Brit

Old 09-16-09, 08:09 AM   #3084
sergei
Sea Lord

Real nice work Gunfighter, I like what you've done there.
Old 09-16-09, 08:42 AM   #3085
Gunfighter
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 133
Default @sergei

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei View Post
Real nice work Gunfighter, I like what you've done there.
Thanks mate Downloaded your Skins other day looks good works real fine
,working on anything else ??
Old 09-16-09, 09:17 AM   #3086
sergei
Sea Lord

Haven't got any ideas at the moment, but I'm still thinking so you never know!
Old 09-16-09, 11:37 PM   #3087
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default re

deeppsi, just an FYI, Triton wasnt the first to score a kill, was the fire to FIRE torpedos at an enemy ship.No kill was confirmed or recorded.The explosion they heard was actually believed to be a premature explosion caused by the fauly magentic detonators in the Mark 14 torpedo, a very common thing for first couple years of war.

The premature explosions were confused as hits sometimes when skippers unaware of the faulty detonators and following the stay deep and fire on sonar bearings only method, were not able to see the torpedos as they blew up.

I forget which boat it was but it was an Asiatic boat out of Manila that scored the first US submarine kill of the war.However, the Triton is a fine submarine, take care of her.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 11:25 PM   #3088
floundericiousWA
Medic

Downloads: 3

First ever patrol in SH4

I'm ordered to take command of the USS Tambor and proceed to Japanese home waters. Along the way, I'm to drop off an intelligence operative on Honshu about 100nm northeast of Tokyo. I make the insertion without much incident...but it's hair-raising. The drop off point is just 100yd from a small shore battery!

On the way out I put two fish into a large tanker sitting at a dock nearby....but she held on floating. A DD was bearing down, so I hustled out of there.

We cruised NE along the japanese coast, diving every 20 minutes or so to avoid H6Ks, G4Ms, and pairs of A6Ms! They were, unsurprisingly, everywhere. One H6K was close enough to see us surface, but my gunner managed to shoot up a wing and bring him down.

We passed through the cut at the north end of Honshu (Aomori and Hakodate) without finding more targets. Once in the sea of japan, we were awash in convoys.

Our mk 14 torpedoes were....difficult. Several times, I would just miss ahead or astern. After several attacks, however, I got them figured out and succeeded in downing a good medium composite freighter.

My fuel was down to around 60%, so I decided to head south into the East China Sea. On the way, I encountered several single merchentmen, who now decorate the floor of the ocean. As I entered the new area, sure enough, I got a "patrol these coordinates" dispatch from ComSubPac. I took the crew down there and we cruised around within a few miles of the coordinates for a little while. I'm glad we didn't stray...a radio report came in a short time later of an enemy task force heading right for us!

I carefully plotted an approximate intercept and kept a careful watch...then all of a sudden, the sonarman called out contact after contact...warship after warship. It was late afternoon and, sailing out of the setting sun (fitting, I felt), came a massive force. I managed to make out three pagoda towers and positively identified them as belonging to one Kongo-class and two Fuso-class. There were at least three heavy cruisers, probably Maya-class, in formation, several light cruisers, and around 10 destroyers and two oilers.

It looked something like this (making 12 knots, heading approx 060, inbound from the Phillipines towards Honshu, fat dumb and happy, not swerving):

.........DD(ASW) .................................................. . DD(ASW)

.....................Oiler (CA?) (CA?) (CL) (DD?) (Oiler?)

DD(ASW) .......Kongo Fuso Fuso (CL?) (CL?) <====== NE @ 12kts

.....................Maya (CL?) (DD?) (DD?) (DD?) (DD?)

.........DD(ASW) .................................................. . DD(ASW)

After plotting their courses and patterns, I made the decision to go for the lead Kongo-class battlecruiser. The lead ASW ships were set up (as above) with one directly in the lead, weaving back and forth...the other two off the forward flank points of the secondary columns were alternating making ~2000 yard breaks out/away from the battle line to sweep the flanks for submarines. I made the decision to try jumping into firing position as the DD on my side made her flanking run. We ran ahead of the TF to let the sunlight fade and then went to periscope depth and silent running and began gliding in towards firing position.

Our timing was perfect...as the DD wandered off 1500yd astern of us and the lead DD wandered around 1200yd of our port bow, we slid in just to port of the bow of the lead Maya in perfect firing position on the Kongo. The forward tubes were low on torpedoes, with only two remaining in tubes 4 and 6.

I had to make them count. I fired from about 1100yds and JUST got them in front of the Maya...I saw his prow cut the wake of my second fish! I put a total spread of two degrees on them (one deg starboard on the first, one deg port on the second). They were set to 5 feet, so I could make sure they hit. As the second fish cleared the bow of the Maya (maybe 300yd ahead of me), I dropped the periscope and ordered the chief to take us to 325 feet.

The torpedoes needed just seconds to race across the distance and strike their target... we strained with our might, urging our girl to dive for all she was worth. The stopwatch raced down to our estimated time of impact and....BOOOOOOMMM!!!!!!! ...BOOOOOMMM!!!! You could feel the gutteral exultation radiating off the crew. THAT WAS FOR PEARL!!! Not a word or cheer was uttered though.

As we dove for our lives, bending our course away from the target's last position, the tension mounted. It was preternaturally silent with the creaking of the hull, whirring of the electric motors, and the increasing disquieting din of a dying warship permeating the space. I looked back and saw the sonarman give an exuberant thumbs up as we heard a massive explosion and the repeated tortured cries of ripping/buckling steel. By god, we'd just sunk something huge!

The sonarman called softly "thermal layer!" and we relaxed ever so slightly. Waiting for the pinging to start, it became obvious that all hell was breaking loose on the surface. I could wave my hand generally in the direction of the ruined Kongo sinking into the depths...but there were sounds coming from just..there...and there! Which sounded like propellers suddenly thrashing the water madly and then squealing, crunching, clanging sounds. It sounded like ships were colliding with one another.

I can only guess that the battle line, in the fading light no less, saw the lead ship take two fish and assumed there were more inbound. They scattered in different directions and be damned any tin can or light cruiser which got in their way. We heard another ship explode and break up, but the sea was so confused that we couldn't make out what ship or what happened. (I conversed with the sonar operator about this briefly after he came off shift and he just tossed his hands up, saying "skipper, it was a mess, I couldn't tell you what was going on up there but it was ugly!")

I kept us down at 325' for another hour, moving along at 2kts away from the task force. We cleared our baffles and then rose to periscope depth. After clearing the horizon with the observation periscope, we surfaced and I let the men relax and celebrate a little bit.

We then made our way home and turned in a happy report of 64k tons sunk, 1 34000 ton Kongo, 6 freighters, and 1 H6K aircraft destroyed!!!
floundericiousWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 02:25 AM   #3089
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

Good shooting on the Kongo, Kind of fun isn't it.

magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 07:30 AM   #3090
floundericiousWA
Medic

Downloads: 3

heck yeah it was!
I'll admit, I was parked on the external camera, leaned forward, using body english to will both torps to hit. Man oh man, they did...and there were two giant, gaping holes in the Kongo..one just aft of the pagoda tower and one just ahead of the aft turrets. She capsized in about two minutes and sank in about five more minutes. I like the nice touch of the 20 lifeboats :-)
floundericiousWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screenshots