Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-21-20, 08:45 AM   #3061
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
I don't believe there is, nor should there be, one national answer.
Yeah, same here.

Just my opinion, not an expert, but now that covid19 has everyone's attention and with the country being focused on the potential threat the virus poses to overwhelming our health care system: in areas where the apex has been reached (at present), I think we could return to work, on a continuing trial basis.

Ideally our govt would have its act together enough to set up comprehensive testing (not there yet) and that would be a big help. And where people return to work, stores, restaurants, if they would put effort into practicing continued social distancing, maybe we could manage the number of cases.

Still, with 40,000 Americans dead from this in just 1 month, wow, you would think people would not need any prompting from the govt to be careful. If an Arab terrorist has managed to kill 40,000 Americans in a month, we would have lost our minds.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 09:02 AM   #3062
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Singapore has extended its partial lockdown until 1 June. The measures - called circuit breakers by the government - include school closures and almost everyone working from home. Social gatherings are banned.

Hong Kong has extended its social distancing measures until at least 7 May. The region reported four new cases on Tuesday. Chief executive Carrie Lam warned: "This is not the time to be complacent. If we relax, the good work we have done will be in vain."

Football clubs in South Korea will be allowed to hold practice matches behind closed doors from Tuesday, according to the K League. The season has already been delayed by two months due to the pandemic.

On Tuesday, China’s state media said more than 4,106 people have been screened after two clusters of Covid-19 infections were discovered at hospitals there. Harbin is close to the Russian border and not too far from Suifenhe, one of the two hotspots that the government seems nervous about.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 09:06 AM   #3063
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

"Draw...!"

You gotta be faster than the virus.
Old 04-21-20, 09:30 AM   #3064
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-21-20, 10:22 AM   #3065
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Growing up in Southern California, we got SICK of avocados. To make things worse in the 1970's, it was popular to have house appliances in avocado color. I guess it went well with the orange shag carpeting.

Avocado green and orange shag...

Don't forget neon colors so bright they'd blind you; the 70s in SoCal were not the best of times when it came to good taste in many things...

<O>
Old 04-21-20, 10:27 AM   #3066
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIENNA
Avocado green and orange shag...
SHH! YOU'LL LET THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 10:55 AM   #3067
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131

I thought 'Going Green' was the next step to save the environment?
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 11:01 AM   #3068
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

Coronavirus man-made in Wuhan lab: Nobel laureate --

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/75227989.cms

From the above article:

Quote:

Montagnier, however, is a controversial figure as he had earlier published two controversial research studies — electromagnetic waves emitted by DNA (DNA teleportation) and on the benefits of papaya in AIDS or Parkinson cure — that attracted criticism from a section of the scientific community.

Another French virologist Étienne Simon-Lorière of the Institut Pasteur in Paris, however, rubbished Montagnier’s claims. “That (His claims) does not make sense. These are very small elements that we find in other viruses of the same family, other coronaviruses in nature,” Étienne told AFP.

Seems there is another side to his claims and it appears he may be dabbling in quasi-scientific investigations...

Coronavirus cases in New York likely came from Europe, studies say after sequence comparison --

https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/10/...ence-compariso

Quote:
Etienne Simon-Lorière, who is the head of Institut Pasteur’s department for evolutionary genomics of RNA Viruses said the findings were not very surprising but noted the difficulty of determining when the novel coronavirus began circulating in many countries.

“The genome of the virus is very stable so there are very few mutations that we see today,” Simon-Lorière told Euronews. This means that determining the date the virus began circulating in a community is a “delicate” process and not certain.

“But it’s true that the viruses that are circulating in the United States, that we’ve seen in other US states, resemble those that we find in Europe.”

New York has become the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak in the United States. There are over 87,000 cases in the city alone and nearly 5,000 people have died, according to the NYC Department of Health.

In late January, the US prohibited foreign nationals who had been to China in the previous 14 days from entering the country. Americans who had been to China were told to self-quarantine.

But the US president announced a ban on travel from Europe much later - in mid-March - as several European countries were enacting lockdown policies themselves.

So, closing off travel from and to China (although the ban was so loose more than 40,000 person were still able to enter the US) and the very limited ban on travel from other nations apparently did little to stem the spread of Covid-19; the same could be true of the immigration ban the White House wants to impose now; will the ban also keep out travelers who are tourists, business travelers, etc.? If a ban is going to be imposed, it should not be a porous situation where the possibility of further contamination/contagion exists...

<O>
Old 04-21-20, 11:02 AM   #3069
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I thought 'Going Green' was the next step to save the environment?
Well a little naranja con mi guacamole keeps a lotta 'pickaderos' gainfully employed!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 11:19 AM   #3070
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131

What about alfombra de pelusa naranja?
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 11:26 AM   #3071
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
So, closing off travel from and to China (although the ban was so loose more than 40,000 person were still able to enter the US)

<O>
Those forty thousand persons were US citizens that Uncle Sam did not want to leave over seas
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 12:10 PM   #3072
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Those forty thousand persons were US citizens that Uncle Sam did not want to leave over seas

No, not all of them were US citizens; many were foreign nationals and some actually flew in direct from Wuhan; almost 60% of that 40,000 figure were not US citizens..

In fact, the total of persons entering the Us since the imposition of the travel ban(s) is more like 430,000 persons...

The porous nature of the travel ban and the laxity in enforcement and screening is detailed in the following article:

430,000 people have traveled from China to the US since the COVID-19 outbreak appeared – including nearly 40,000 who arrived after President Trump imposed travel restrictions --

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-appeared.html

Quote:
  • 430,000 people traveled from China to the US since the COVID-19 outbreak
  • Nearly 40,000 arrived in the two months after Trump issued travel restrictions
  • 13,000 direct flights and 381,000 passengers from China arrived in the US during January
  • Majority of flights went to New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle and Newark
  • In February, about 60 percent of people traveling on direct flights from China were not American citizens
  • Travelers described COVID-19 health screenings in airports as inattentive
  • Screenings first focused on travelers from Wuhan, but expanded under Trump's travel restriction

<O>
Old 04-21-20, 12:55 PM   #3073
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-21-20, 02:37 PM   #3074
Skybird
Soaring

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/21/u...ers/index.html

Quote:
Leah Blomberg's voice is still raspy from having a tube stuck down her throat for nine days. Her muscles are so weak, it takes her 45 minutes to take a quick shower.
Now, as she struggles to recover from coronavirus, she wants protesters to stop "crying and complaining" about shelter-in-place orders, like the one in her state of Wisconsin that just got extended until May 26.
"I spent 9 days in a medically induced coma, on a ventilator due to this virus. I spent another 9 days in the ICU having horrible hallucinations from the meds," Blomberg posted on Facebook.
"I basically had to learn how to walk again due to muscle atrophy from being 100% bedridden for 2 weeks. I'M LUCKY TO BE ALIVE," the post continued. "Stay in your house. Take the money they government is giving you. ... Stop complaining and be thankful for your health. Thank you Governor Evers for caring more about our HEALTH than our WEALTH."
However, personally I have something positive to report after this day. In the very beginning of this, when i was most likely one of the very first wearing face masks in my home town (and back then it still was my black rubber- and plastic-half-frame mask) I caught some negative attention and mocking comments. Today at the baker a women in her mid-30s approached me, and stood apart from me 2m away, and said she wanted to apologize that she made some derogatory comment some weeks ago when she saw me back then. She apologized and said she was wrong and I was obviously recognising the danger earlier than her, but my looks somewhat shocked her back then. She was kind, really. I said I appreciate that she remembers it and stands by her role in the event, and that i also appreciate her apology and consider the event (which I did not even remember since I just have missed her comment back then) a thing of the past. I wished her to stay healthy, and we parted again.

Nice that such things also can happen, and that some people can learn.

My hometown's administration yesterday announced that from next Monday on covering mouth and nose with any kind of mask, filter or cloth beocmes mandatory i all shops, offices, poublic buildings, busses and trains, also on the public market in the open although they have scattred it quite far to increase distances between stands: the market now covers more than twice as much room than normally. Visitor numbers have gone down there, too, and by now I prefer it to buy some things than a closed supermarket hall with its stale air and ever-lasting clouds of aerosols.

A second baker has shut some weeks ago, sign in the door says "Sickness". In my street, two people were picked up by the medics in full isolation gear, from two houses, strangers to me, but damn close to my place. I knew three names around my age, from three different countries since over 15 years, with whom i had "internet relations" with playing correspondence chess, discussing things and debating via emails, old-fashioned correspondence friends, so to speak. Their voices have fallen silent, forever. Father of an old girlfriend of mine is one of the victims dying in elder care homes. Myself and my parents so far have remained unhit (or so we think, if we were sick, we did not realise it). Still, the pandemic has already marked several impacts in my social vicinity, so to speak. And we have just begun and are just out of the starting block. One or two years more to come. Makes you thinking.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-21-20 at 03:12 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 03:29 PM   #3075
Skybird
Soaring

The german government mulls a new set of anti-Corona laws. Part of it is that testing capacities should be pushed with priority to doing 4.5 million tests per week.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan