Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-23, 02:37 PM   #16
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Not very true. Recovery and rescue can easily be differentiated by being alive or deceased. Even if deceased, one would hope they would be recovered. When I referenced the term, " hopefully alive ", that means hoping for the best possible outcome. [...]
That.

I do not get how there is no backup/rescue vehicle at all? Ok sure the people going down to watch signed some paperwork listing all the risks, but.. can't mankind do better?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-23, 03:18 PM   #17
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
"Hopefully alive" is redundant!

Quote:
Not very true.

Does that not make sense ?
...your quote of my quote is not with the humor icon! not Of course you ment hopefully alive! You don't have to say it as we know you're stalwart, caring, upright fellow. My main concern though is the dinero wasted...and I've dived on some wrecks in my SCUBA daze and rescued a few divers in distress(hypothermia or out of air at depth issues) to boot; generally a 4-man task with a S.L.A.M.-trained diver directing the effort, often with novice divers.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-19-23 at 03:27 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-23, 03:50 PM   #18
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
The vessel operates by pinging back a message every 15 minutes to signal to those ashore that it is safe, however Sky News understands that those pings have not been heard for more than seven hours.
https://news.sky.com/story/uk-billio...firms-12905616

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-23, 04:34 PM   #19
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

It’s seems to me they were looking to build it on the cheap I’m interested to know what the “groundbreaking’ whiz bang bleeding edge INNOVATIVE tech they were using. And I assume if the RTM worked they most likely already know exactly what happened. They make it sound as though if something goes wrong with the hull there would be some kind of warning. Unfortunately, at those depths' implosion is pretty much instantaneous.

Titan

5-Person Submersible | 4,000 Meters

https://www.oceangate.com/our-subs/t...bmersible.html

Quote:

Titan is a Cyclops-class manned submersible designed to take five people to depths of 4,000 meters (13,123 feet) for site survey and inspection, research and data collection, film and media production, and deep sea testing of hardware and software. Through the innovative use of modern materials, Titan is lighter in weight and more cost efficient to mobilize than any other deep diving submersible. A combination of ground-breaking engineering and off-the-shelf technology gives Titan a unique advantage over other deep diving subs; the proprietary Real Time Hull Health Monitoring (RTM) systems provides an unparalleled safety feature that assesses the integrity of the hull throughout every dive. The use off-the-shelf components helped to streamline the construction, and makes it simple to operate and replace parts in the field.

Paired with a patented, integrated launch and recovery platform, Titan is easy to operate in varying sea states using a local appropriately sized ship for the project. In coastal waters this means we do not need a large support ship with a crane or A-frame.

Real-Time Health Monitoring

The most significant innovation is the proprietary real-time hull health monitoring (RTM) system. Titan is the only manned submersible to employ an integrated real-time health monitoring system. Utilizing co-located acoustic sensors and strain gauges throughout the pressure boundary, the RTM system makes it possible to analyze the effects of changing pressure on the vessel as the submersible dives deeper, and accurately assess the integrity of the structure. This onboard health analysis monitoring system provides early warning detection for the pilot with enough time to arrest the descent and safely return to surface.

Development and Innovation

Project Cyclops

Project Cyclops was born out of OceanGate’s appreciation for the complexity of subsea environments and the need for a diverse set of tools and technology to address operational requirements below 500 meters. Through strategic partnerships, OceanGate applies the latest advances in material science and technology to meet the challenges faced in deep sea exploration. With the majority of the ocean's seabed still unexplored, and as commercial and scientific entities continue to expand initiatives to access potential resources, OceanGate satisfies the demand for a practical subsea vessels capable of efficiently accessing these resources.

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-19-23 at 05:12 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-23, 04:38 PM   #20
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
[/COLOR]

Of course you ment hopefully alive! You don't have to say it as we know you're stalwart, caring, upright fellow. My main concern though is the dinero wasted...and I've dived on some wrecks in my SCUBA daze and rescued a few divers in distress(hypothermia or out of air at depth issues) to boot; generally a 4-man task with a S.L.A.M.-trained diver directing the effort, often with novice divers.
Your description of being stalwart, caring and upfront is appreciated. To be honest, that describes just about everyone here at Subsim I have been privileged to get to know. There is an awesome and rather large core group here like that in Subsim.

I don't have the background in scuba diving that you and perhaps others have.. It hardly matters as at with the depths involved, scuba diving would be of no help, If the submersible is deep. I would assume it is or it would have been detected and localized by now. I also don't know if the missing submersible has a collar to mate with a deep sea rescue vehicles utilized by the U.S Navy. Perhaps others here know about that.

One thing is known, time is not on the side of any rescue attempts.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-23, 04:44 PM   #21
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Your description of being stalwart, caring and upfront is appreciated. To be honest, that describes just about everyone here at Subsim I have been privileged to get to know. There is an awesome and rather large core group here like that in Subsim.

I don't have the background in scuba diving that you and perhaps others have.. It hardly matters as at with the depths involved, scuba diving would be of no help, If the submersible is deep. I would assume it is or it would have been detected and localized by now. I also don't know if the missing submersible has a collar to mate with a deep sea rescue vehicles utilized by the U.S Navy. Perhaps others here know about that.

One thing is known, time is not on the side of any rescue attempts.

There is no mating collar.
Old 06-19-23, 04:52 PM   #22
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
There is no mating collar.
Thanks for the information. I thought having a mating collar for a privately held submersible would be cost prohibitive but I was hoping i was wrong.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-23, 11:22 PM   #23
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Let's see, the last time we lost a private sub....
Anybody check to see if Mr. Madsen is in his cell?
Any journalists onboard?

Anybody seen Neal lately? He wasn't out and about was he?
Old 06-20-23, 04:05 AM   #24
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

* A British billionaire is among five people on board a submersible tourist vessel which went missing during a voyage to the Titanic shipwreck

* The five-person OceanGate Expeditions vessel was reported overdue on Sunday evening about 435 miles south of St John’s, Newfoundland

* The U.S. Coast Guard said there was one pilot and four passengers on board and that the vessel had the capacity to be submerged for 96 hours

* British explorer Hamish Harding is among the passengers

* According to Sky News, French submersible pilot, Paul-Henry Nargeolet, and chief executive of OceanGate Expeditions, Stockton Rush, were also on board

* Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son, Suleman, are the other passengers

* US and Canadian ships and planes have swarmed the area about 900 miles east of Cape Cod,

* OceanGate Expeditions said: "We are deeply thankful for the extensive assistance we have received from several government agencies."

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-23, 04:57 AM   #25
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

A US reporter who dived in the Titan in the past said the vehicle looked very improvised.

I saw a picture of the interior. A narrow metal tube with no windows in the side walls and a single, small view port in the front. For five people to kneel and crouch in the cramped vehicle for at least 8 hours. "Men staring at steel walls." I wonder how one gets such an idea to get involved in something like that as a "leisure activity". But well, tastes are different. Mine it is not.
Old 06-20-23, 05:21 AM   #26
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-23, 05:42 AM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

CBS journalist David Pogue was invited to travel on OceanGate's Titan submersible on a press trip last year, to reach the wreckage of the Titanic.
He told the BBC that passengers were sealed inside the main capsule by several bolts that were applied from the outside and had to be removed by an external crew.
He said he initially thought the sub seemed improvised: "You steer this sub with an Xbox game controller, some of the ballast is abandoned construction pipes."
If the sub became trapped or sprung a leak "there's no backup, there's no escape pod", he said.
[BBC]

------------

No chance I would have gone aboard that.
Old 06-20-23, 09:12 AM   #28
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Hate to day it, the submarine appears to be made of scraps with some new parts thrown in. There was no means for surfacing in case of an emergency. In short, this was a coffin in the making.
Old 06-20-23, 09:18 AM   #29
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

There is no rescue. Titan ‘was’ a 5 inch thick carbon fiber tube the crew enters then an end cap with the window is bolted on with 17 bolts locking the crew inside. It takes around 90 minutes to get to the Titanic wreck, Titan was an hour and 35 minutes into the dive when communication was lost. At that depth all it takes is one over threaded bolt and <POOF> it’s gone in less time it takes to blink your eye.

Compare it to James Cameron’s Deepsea Callenger and Titan looks like someone’s backyard project put together with bubblegum and baling wire.

Btw, a U.S. Navy rescue sub is limited to 2,000 ft depth.

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-20-23 at 09:31 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-23, 09:48 AM   #30
Skybird
Soaring

"X Box Game Controller."

There is a reason why even a simple flip switch or a simple to-press-button for airliner cockpits cost several hundred dollars per piece.

And back in the late 90s when I had a PS1, one controller for it once stopped working in my hands while playing. Just so, out of the blue. Never came online again.

The whole concept for that "submarine" sounds incredibly irresponsible. German newspaper said that passengers must sign statements that they understand that the boat is unlicensed, has not undergone any technical inspection, and that the operator cannot be held responsible for any damage to passengers, injuries, psychological traumata and stress consequences.

Who wants to dive in such a thing - and even pays for it...?