Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-20, 09:38 PM   #16
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

NSFW Language

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 06:16 AM   #17
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

In George We Trust
Old 05-16-20, 06:27 AM   #18
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Not in that case i'm afraid.
"What, earth has been here for 4 and a half billion years, and we are only here destroying the world for 200 years"
Impressing what we did in this short time, isn't it

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 07:01 AM   #19
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Not in that case i'm afraid.
"What, earth has been here for 4 and a half billion years, and we are only here destroying the world for 200 years"
Impressing what we did in this short time, isn't it
True but there is also an impressive list of accomplishments by the human species. The current inhabitants of this planet are the beneficiaries of many of those accomplishments. In nature there is always risk. Humans are great risk takers. Possibly the greatest in the universe. Those risks have split the atom, put robotic vehicles on Mars, delved into the Theories of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics and explained our existence by scientific theory. At no time during the ascent of man was there a promise of success.

"With great risk comes great reward." - Thomas Jefferson.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 02:34 PM   #20
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

He's making fun of those who think we can save a planet. He points out in its 4 billion + years of existence it has gone through and survived far worse than we could ever dream of. All we are doing is threatening our own existence not the planet, it will still be here long after we're gone.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 05-16-20 at 02:45 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 03:23 PM   #21
Catfish

@u crank human accomplishments can be admired by humans, but after all it is one ape giving a stick to another. All accomplishments done by humans have been done for humans (if at all, mostly for personal gain), seldomly for other life on this planet.
But as August said, if we kill mother nature first, it cannot kill us

@Rockstar Bingo. The inanimate planet with crust and all will not be so easy to destroy, at least not by humanity. But where's a will..

Old 05-16-20, 03:29 PM   #22
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Nothing but a weird theory.
(some of you may think biblical)

Earth knew some had to take care of the animals(Fauna and Flora)
so human was created-but human turned out to be cruel.

Earth decided to increase humans IQ-hoping this would help
More IQ, gave more cruelty

Earth increased humans IQ once more-now with such a high IQ maybe human will be nice to its creation
No-More IQ=Even more evilness.

Now Earth(Mother Nature) is tired of her creation=Human

Of course I can't prove this weird theory.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 03:48 PM   #23
Catfish

^ i would not take this literally

If planets could talk, earth would say "i have a disease named humanity", and Mars would answer "don't worry, it will be over soon".

Which makes me wonder, there is not even an english translation for "das geht vorbei" ? "That will pass" is not quite right, in this case may "you will get over it" ?
You really cannot translate some things properly.

Old 05-16-20, 03:54 PM   #24
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
@u crank human accomplishments can be admired by humans, but after all it is one ape giving a stick to another. All accomplishments done by humans have been done for humans (if at all, mostly for personal gain), seldomly for other life on this planet.
I don't disagree but then again that is what humans do. We have evolved to do this. After all you wouldn't jump into a swamp and then complain if you are eaten by an crocodile. That's what they evolved to do.

Personally I think that human accompishments are quite remarkable. 12,000 years ago we had just learned to farm and herd animals. In a universe and on a planet as old as ours that is almost unexplainable. Our tendancy for self destruction is tempered by our marvels of invention and thought.

And we invented rock and roll.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 04:43 PM   #25
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

There used to be a game called Sim Earth. The secret to getting a nicely balanced and successful earth was that as soon as any species started exhibiting a certain amount of intelligence, make it extinct.

I don't know if that was what the designers intended though
Old 05-16-20, 05:19 PM   #26
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
But as August said, if we kill mother nature first, it cannot kill us

I never said kill it, just control it, dominate it, own and manipulate it to our selfish advantage.
I guess i'm just a species first guy. I refuse to feel guilty for being human like some self haters are wont to do.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 05:27 PM   #27
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Evolution measures success as continuance.

cyanobacteria: 2,7 bn years
cockroaches: 330 m years
dinosaurs: 170 m years
H.sapiens: 300.000 years

Once our planet has become stardust again humankind and their vanity and hubris will not be worth a footnote.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 06:19 PM   #28
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
Once our planet has become stardust again humankind and their vanity and hubris will not be worth a footnote.

Maybe but unlike the dinosaurs our hand is still in the game.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 06:46 PM   #29
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The universe does not take risks, nor does it decide. It is.

The overwhelming, unimaginable large part of the universe, seems to be as dead as "dead" can mean.

What we call nature, we refer to as the living biom on this planet that we depend on for existing, in clduing its processes and interdependecies and ingredients it is made of and formed by.

To imagine that man could "dominate", "rule" or "master" nature, the universe, is just expression of the pathological self-exaggeration that more and more threatens to become man's hubris and self-destruction. Christian mythology has brought incredible damage into the world in this regard by putting man above what it calls creation.

In the end, man will be nothign more than just a corn of dust flashing up in the sky for a split of second, and then wikll be forgotten again already. The universe will not even take care of that we ever existed. But we with our lifespan exist in just this short split of a cosmic second, and relatively this is what adds the meaning and importance to it - from our point of view, not the universe's.

Prisoners that we are in our relative percpetion of time, we arwe not the oinly prisoner,s but other life coexist with us in this split of a second. For them, this nsplit fo a cosmis seciond is as relevant as it is for us, and if we ruin this brief timespan we all exist, then we ruin it for the other lifeforms out there as well. And that is the stiunling mess we create. From a unbiverse'S pooiunt of view, it will hardly be taken niote of by anyone ever. From planet Earth'S pojutn of view and plants and animals point of view, it is all the difference between existince and non-existence.

Man cannot excuse his destructive effect ion thisnpnate by relatiovising it when arguing that "from the universe's perspective" it all does not matter anyway. That is no excuse. We must stay in the scaling we got born into. And in this scaling our effect for all themlife coexisting with us is an utmost besaster. We do like lethal virusses: we overwhelm the host that keeps us alive and feds us, we kill it by excessively continuing wioth overwhelming it, and by killinjg this host we kill ourselves.

The host here is that environmental and most fragile, lucky balance of variables that enable life of the form we are, and life of the form as we define it mostly in and for the biome around us.

The vanshing of ther human race would be a desaster only for one: for man. For all and everything else, it would be a great relief. Hardly a compliment for our species, even less so when considering our unique traits (unique on this planet at least) and potentials. Obviously we fail in realising them.

It must be hoped we do not reach the stars. We should not reach them. All we bring to any new place, is destruction. Fortunately I think that all this talking about leaving Earth and resettling to space colonies and planets, is naive daydreaming only anyway. It will not happen, we will not make it. We simnpyl are too self-destruiciove, and too stupid, and we have run out of too much time already. Having a dozen people living ion a metal spohere on planet Mars is not what I would call a realistic alternative for our species' survival. The harsh truth is: we either get along on this planet, or we will not get along anymore anywhere.

I liked and like classic Science Fiction from the late 50s to the early 90s, a lot. But I always was aware of the word "fiction" in it.
Old 05-17-20, 05:24 AM   #30
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Maybe but unlike the dinosaurs our hand is still in the game.
I doubt we last 170 mio years, also the successors of the dinosaurs are still among us, and i do not mean your democrat reptilian overlords