SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-09, 07:12 PM   #16
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

I'm glad it is working for you and can discover it all over again with the new GWX mod out. Quite a few say it runs like a champ with the new faster systems out there. I enjoyed SH4 on my old system but the new system runs it like a champ. Not one hiccup. Push all sliders to max and click every option available. It is just nice not to have to tweak this and that to get a game running well. Shoving off!
Old 02-15-09, 07:16 PM   #17
MrYenko
Watch

Downloads: 54

Ive been on Vista for some time now, and encountered zero problems...

UNTIL... (Had to be one...)

Until I installed Alcohol 120% to burn some data-backup CDs...

Starforce went ape****, and now I cannot get SH3 to install and function. Might have to format, to get it working agin.

Bottom line, if you have the post-starforce version of SH3, go for it. Vista is great. If you have an early copy, like I do, make sure you dont install ANY form of virtual drive.
Old 02-15-09, 07:38 PM   #18
Ping Jockey
Medic

Downloads: 294

Been running SH3 & GWX on Vista Ultimate for a year with very few problems. It's faster then Win XP.
Old 02-15-09, 09:00 PM   #19
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by L15-Monty
Hi everybody,

Just a quick question, my laptop died beyond repair a few weeks ago now and i was thinking about getting a new one with vista rather than XP. I have herd of a few problems with vista and SH3 ,and was wondering if they were isolated events or common occouriences. Not wanting to blow all my money on a new system just to find out that SH3 wont work properly on it, i thought i would ask in here as there seems to be a large amouth of know how.

Any advice would be great
Hi Monty I was cautious too when weighing whether to switch to Vista from XP. I finally made the switch to Vista x64(Home premium) and now has never regretted that move even one bit.

I have to remind you though that I'm not using Vista on laptop. I'm using my Vista on a desktop PC with relatively new hardware and an 8 Gb of RAM(Since I was using x64 why the heck not though actual memory usage never exceed 4Gb).

If your laptop comes with 4Gb of memory and a realtively large HDD capacity I well recommend you to switch to Vista x64(64 bit version). Don't get the x86(32 bit version).

I had had some pain at the start switching to 64 bit OS that was solved by downloading an updated Motherboard BIOS. Just that and my Vista flew.
Old 02-16-09, 11:08 AM   #20
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout
Quote:
Originally Posted by L15-Monty
Hi everybody,

Just a quick question, my laptop died beyond repair a few weeks ago now and i was thinking about getting a new one with vista rather than XP. I have herd of a few problems with vista and SH3 ,and was wondering if they were isolated events or common occouriences. Not wanting to blow all my money on a new system just to find out that SH3 wont work properly on it, i thought i would ask in here as there seems to be a large amouth of know how.

Any advice would be great
Hi Monty I was cautious too when weighing whether to switch to Vista from XP. I finally made the switch to Vista x64(Home premium) and now has never regretted that move even one bit.

I have to remind you though that I'm not using Vista on laptop. I'm using my Vista on a desktop PC with relatively new hardware and an 8 Gb of RAM(Since I was using x64 why the heck not though actual memory usage never exceed 4Gb).

If your laptop comes with 4Gb of memory and a realtively large HDD capacity I well recommend you to switch to Vista x64(64 bit version). Don't get the x86(32 bit version).

I had had some pain at the start switching to 64 bit OS that was solved by downloading an updated Motherboard BIOS. Just that and my Vista flew.
Vista is power hungry. Feed it what it needs and it runs very well.
Old 02-16-09, 02:38 PM   #21
L15-Monty
Watch

Downloads: 1

Thanks to all who commented in my hour of need, think its time to bite the bullet and get vista x64, hope it all goes well.

Thanks again guys
L15-Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-09, 03:55 PM   #22
robbythesub
Captain

Downloads: 302

I run three different modded versions of SH3 and two of SH4 with vista 32 bit and they work fine.
The important things to remember for running them hassle free is to install outside og 'programme files' so as to avoid the safety restrictions, and to run each, as well as any mods such as SH3 commander and jsgme as administrator.
As long as your downloads are ok and you install any mods correctly and in the right order, it works fine.
Hardware with vista is important so best run 3gz processor if possible and at least 2gb ram with strong video card for best results.

robbythesub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 01:12 PM   #23
U2222
Sparky

Downloads: 43

Thanks AVGWarHawk for your reply on Bills First Build thread.
I tried to install on vista 64 using lots of advice on these threads - GWX instructions - using starforce tool etc.
Failure I guess must be down to my old starforce version of SH3.
Are all new copies of SH3 currently on the market Starforce free?
Is there any way of identifying this?
Regards,
U2222
U2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 01:15 PM   #24
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Yes, I believe you need the SF free version. Sorry I was not more specific. I have not tried to run SH3 on Vista 64. My version is the SF version. There are versions out there without SF on it.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 01:34 AM   #25
Otto Heinzmeir
Weps

Downloads: 2

I have no problems with vista 64 bit premium. Install to a root folder like others have mentioned. The only thing with Vista OS is at first it is slow. After a couple of days it speeds up and runs smooth. Think its just the way it was designed. I'd recommend turning the UAC option off. In some cases its best to install programs by right clicking the exe and selecting 'run as administrator'.
Otto Heinzmeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 03:37 AM   #26
SpeedyPC
Officer

Downloads: 67

Take my advise Vista is a real pain in arse some people can and some people can't get SH3 to work on Vista.

Thank goodness I still have my XP Pro
SpeedyPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 08:53 PM   #27
Tim D
Mate

Downloads: 12

I am running Vista 64 on my new Gateway 7805u laptop. I went ahead and bought a newer version of SHIII with 1.4 patch installed. It works great!!! I have about 8 hours of playing time so far and not a problem. I had really bad problems a couple of years ago with my old desktop and the DVD-ROM so I stopped playing SHIII for the last 3 years. My install in vista is in the program folder, I tried installing it like I have SHIV in a new folder, but it just would not run. I also am running GWX gold with no problems (loving it).

Last edited by Tim D; 03-21-09 at 09:03 PM.
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 03:18 PM   #28
L15-Monty
Watch

Downloads: 1

Thanks again guys, lots of advice, going to splurge and get a nice new Vista (64) laptop with all the trimmings.

That is ofcourse if my wife wasnt pregnante again. There goes my disposable income.

Thanks guys.
L15-Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 03:54 PM   #29
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

My opinion on vista...

Thats my opinion...