SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-07, 08:48 PM   #16
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120
Uploads: 0

maybe later
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 02:11 AM   #17
Lukemb
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by modisch
Any chance of replacing the Purple Heart? going on the mechanics of the game, it's just the first "nice job" medal as opposed to dealing with injury in the line of duty. It'd be nice to have something else...

Maybe a good conduct medal? or the legion of merit? Kinda hard to find another medal that is time period appropriate. Perhaps any of our naval/history/military buffs could help pick one.

-m
Some historically accurate medals that may fit in the game would be:
- Legion of Merit (since Oct. 1942)
- Navy Commendation ribbon (since Jan. 1944 - now called Navy & Marine Corps Commendation medal)
- Navy Good Conduct medal
- Asiatic/Pacific Campaign ribbon (since Nov. 1942 - a medal was created after the war)

The only problem is that giving these medals since Dec. 1941 is not very realistic but... who cares! at least it's better than the current system.

Last edited by Lukemb; 04-01-07 at 02:50 PM.
Lukemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 04:15 AM   #18
DeePsix501
Navy Dude

Love the Mod! Makes it feal real!

Just a question though, I loaded a post patrol career, when I had some medals to give out. When issued the medals the crew got Bronze Stars but when you cursor over them they are called "Wounded Medal" The medal next to it is the purple heart, but when you cursor over it, it is the Patrol Star or somthing close. Since the wounded medal represents wounded men but is given out like pats on the back, did you replace it with it with the bronze star for more accuracy? Or should the Bronze star be the patrol star and the wounded medal be the purple heart?

In Memory of the USS Triton (SS-201) - May We Never Forget Those On Eternal Patrol
DeePsix501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 04:39 AM   #19
hyperion2206
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 8

I really love your mod, it's great! I've got a question however: Do you know where the files are that gives you the text when you recieve a medal? You know the text saying: "Lt. Cdr. XYZ was awarded this medal while in command of USS ABC etc."
I have the German version of the game and don't get such a text, just the medal and the normal background and that sucks!
Can anybody help me to get these text files?

hyperion2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 05:31 AM   #20
fullmetaledges
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeePsix501
Love the Mod! Makes it feal real!

Just a question though, I loaded a post patrol career, when I had some medals to give out. When issued the medals the crew got Bronze Stars but when you cursor over them they are called "Wounded Medal" The medal next to it is the purple heart, but when you cursor over it, it is the Patrol Star or somthing close. Since the wounded medal represents wounded men but is given out like pats on the back, did you replace it with it with the bronze star for more accuracy? Or should the Bronze star be the patrol star and the wounded medal be the purple heart?
Yes I changed the order of the medals because it was giving them out wrong. The default way was that the navy cross was the highest award so since I couldn't find the .cfg file, this was what I decided on doing instead.
Old 04-01-07, 05:33 AM   #21
fullmetaledges
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperion2206
I really love your mod, it's great! I've got a question however: Do you know where the files are that gives you the text when you recieve a medal? You know the text saying: "Lt. Cdr. XYZ was awarded this medal while in command of USS ABC etc."
I have the German version of the game and don't get such a text, just the medal and the normal background and that sucks!
That file is located in \Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Menu\menu.txt

line 5890
Old 04-01-07, 06:17 AM   #22
hyperion2206
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetaledges
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperion2206
That file is located in \Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Menu\menu.txt

line 5890

I do have that line, but it's never shown when I'm awarded a medal.

hyperion2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 11:01 AM   #23
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)

If anyone can clean up the lines of the medals so that they line up properly that would be great. I've been messing with it but I haven't had enough time to really concentrate on it. Also, if there's still an issue with the mouseover texts, I think they are kept in one of the base text files for the game (menu.txt, medals.upc). It might be worth a try to change the order of these - might fix the problem.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 01:11 PM   #24
nimitstexan
Loader

Downloads: 14

My guess would be UPCLocalizations.tsr . . .

;UPCCrewData\Medals.upc
Wounded medal=Bronze Star
Medal of valor=Navy Distinguished Service Medal
Victory cross=Medal of Honor
Submarine service medal=Purple Heart
Patrol star=Navy Cross
Campaign star=Silver Star

Last edited by nimitstexan; 04-01-07 at 01:33 PM.
nimitstexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 01:29 PM   #25
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 1

Im working on that at the moment, and fixing the alphas and getting the order right so they are awarded for the right thing... if you follow the games medal order you can work it out I think.

The order I think works is

5150=Medals
5151=Navy Distinguished Service Medal
5152=Purple Heart
5153=Bronze Star
5154=Congressional Medal of Honor
5155=Silver Star
5156=Navy Cross

As originally this was...

5150=Medals
5151=Submarine Service Medal
5152=Wounded Medal
5153=Patrol Star
5154=Medal of Valor
5155=Campaign Star
5156=Victory Cross

These tally quite well in terms of shapes of medals, names and value..

The order full uses:

5150=Medals
5151=Purple Heart
5152=Bronze Star
5153=Silver Star
5154=Navy Distinguished Service Medal
5155=Navy Cross
5156=Medal of Honor

therefore injured people get the bronze star with this order, which can't be right, though I appreciate that the awards to the player seem too high.

but if you swap them in the list to the correct order, you have to swap the pics in the dds files... which takes time.

One problem I am having is loss of colour quality as I swap from psd to dds file format.. anyone know how to get the best quality dds and what is the highest format the game will tolerate??

One further way to check is to look at savegames... in the camapaigntrack file it gives the initials of the awards, so far I have only been given a CMOH (which appeared as a medal of valor). I need to check SS and BS but I havent been awarded these yet...

I think just cause you do well and get the CMOH on your first mission, doesnt mean the order is wrong... the order your crew get awarded seems relatively ok...

Thoughts...
Jace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 01:39 PM   #26
nimitstexan
Loader

Downloads: 14

I think the problem (as others have reported it) is the game was not using the wounded medal as such, but rather awarding it just like any other medal. Do you have actual experiance of the game limiting the "wounded medal" just to wounded crewmen?
nimitstexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 01:49 PM   #27
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Well yes... I took a shell in after torp room and had all 3 watches get injured (though only slightly...) when I got back to base they were several wounded medals to be awarded and they could all have been recipients...

I thought it was working fine...
Old 04-01-07, 02:50 PM   #28
fullmetaledges
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace11
Im working on that at the moment, and fixing the alphas and getting the order right so they are awarded for the right thing... if you follow the games medal order you can work it out I think.

The order I think works is

5150=Medals
5152=Purple Heart
5153=Bronze Star
5155=Silver Star
5156=Navy Cross

As originally this was...

5150=Medals
5151=Submarine Service Medal
5152=Wounded Medal
5153=Patrol Star
5154=Medal of Valor
5155=Campaign Star
5156=Victory Cross

These tally quite well in terms of shapes of medals, names and value..

The order full uses:

5150=Medals
5151=Purple Heart
5152=Bronze Star
5153=Silver Star
5154=Navy Distinguished Service Medal
5155=Navy Cross
5156=Medal of Honor

therefore injured people get the bronze star with this order, which can't be right, though I appreciate that the awards to the player seem too high.

but if you swap them in the list to the correct order, you have to swap the pics in the dds files... which takes time.

One problem I am having is loss of colour quality as I swap from psd to dds file format.. anyone know how to get the best quality dds and what is the highest format the game will tolerate??

One further way to check is to look at savegames... in the camapaigntrack file it gives the initials of the awards, so far I have only been given a CMOH (which appeared as a medal of valor). I need to check SS and BS but I havent been awarded these yet...

I think just cause you do well and get the CMOH on your first mission, doesnt mean the order is wrong... the order your crew get awarded seems relatively ok...

Thoughts...
the reason I changed the order is because if you use the default order of

5150=Medals
5152=Purple Heart
5153=Bronze Star
5155=Silver Star
5156=Navy Cross

the game treats that as the order in which to award the medals. Try it, I did, have a 65,000 ton patrol and you will be awarded the navy cross, the crew will get multiple medals of honor and purple hearts will be given out for successful patrols. With the order that I used I havent had 1 purple heart given out, all bronze stars, and silver stars. I avg about 25,000 tons. Don't go back to the original way the game lists the medals of it will screw up the awarding of them. if you don't believe me check out the way they did it before they put in the fake medals.

Old 04-01-07, 03:13 PM   #29
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

hmm you may have a point that higher value medals are awarded too easily, I havent seen that with the crew on my patrols though. When people got injured, they got a WM when we got back to base... I got some decent medals for my officers but not MoV (CMOH) though I was awarded one...

Well, as it stands I have the menu.txt graphics, etc set up for the order I posted above. If there is a problem with what is awarded, then it may be due to game logic, scoring and difficulty etc, if those thing get fixed then I can always post up the finished files as they are done now... I better do a bit of testing etc...

What difficulty did you do your patrol on?
Old 04-01-07, 03:21 PM   #30
fullmetaledges
Chief

second from the highest, I also have those files because I just replaced the names and images of the awards originally but after getting the MOH for 45,000 tons and the Navy Cross for 75,000 ton patrols I decided that that was not right. I can't find the .cfg file that gives the criteria for awarding the awards so for now changing the order is the work around to it awarding the medals in the wrong order.