SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-09-14, 09:07 PM   #16
Den0
Torpedoman

Downloads: 103
Uploads: 0
Default That didnt work for me.

I moved them to DC changed then mount bow went back to put crew and deck gun slot is gone.

The narwhal comes with 1.5

Ok disregard my last.... If you do it before you touch anything else on the sub it works!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Den0; 03-09-14 at 09:23 PM.
Den0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-14, 09:26 PM   #17
Den0
Torpedoman

Default The non matching numbers...

Like Sniper has figured out along with me will trying to get it modded out. It is put together with different model sub parts. Why I don't know. I do have a regular Nautilus skin but I am not to crazy about the skinny new black look. Just my taste. Its here. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211702
Old 03-09-14, 09:31 PM   #18
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Hmmm. Troubleshooting 101, compare faulty thing to "known good" thing, see what the difference is. I assume you saved a backup after last re-install before you started hacking? If you copy the entire \Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific folder to a different folder, you can just open either folder in windows explorer, double click on SH4.exe, and launch a game with a different set of mods. I frequently unzip the compressed original to a folder on the desktop to test hacks and mods, at the moment I have three folders with a complete SH4 folder on my desktop, C:\Program Files\Ubisoft, C:\Ubisoft, and three more in different folder names on the F drive for a total of 8. That simplifies the whole backup and restore procedure, C:\Program Files\Ubisoft is an untouched original I never play with at all so restoring an original file is just copy from that one and paste. Also have two zipped files in different places, only once had a disaster that required using one.

There I go rambling again, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, fore deck gun. I got 1.4 and can't duplicate here, I start a Sargo career and got the two gunners in the aft deck gun slot, change to systems and slide the 3"50 bow gun in to replace the aft gun, change back to the crew screen and there's an empty fore deck gun with the crew kicked upstairs to the torpedo rooms. Just now tried the no-no, started a career with the aft deck gun, returned to port and swapped for a fore deck gun, it automatically kicked the gunners up to damage control and changed to fore deck gun.

I HAVE seen the missing slot once, but only when I tried to mod a sargo for fore and aft 5"25s. Otherwise nary a problem, I'm wondering if all the guys getting this have a mega mod that's causing it?
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-14, 09:39 PM   #19
Den0
Torpedoman

Default I got it.

I was not doing it first thing has to be done then I believe works although it is only showing one man on the gun I hope he fires it lol.
Old 03-09-14, 09:46 PM   #20
Den0
Torpedoman

Default I will make my own skin

Once I get the gimp software figured out and but tbh the stock skin isn't to bad I just need to figure out how to add a tower emblem and I would be happy with it. After mentioned the numbers thing I had to take it off got to be some type of bad omen to run two number sets!!!
Old 03-10-14, 01:19 AM   #21
Sniper297
The Old Man

I downloaded this;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1552

To look into how to attach these decals and get numbers on the conning tower that didn't reverse on the other side. However, I got so many projects on back burners I actually have back burners stacked on back burners and tend to forget what I was gonna do next. Since I forgot what it was I repainted a Porpoise.

Old 03-10-14, 02:55 AM   #22
Sniper297
The Old Man

Found it. While tinkering with this Porpoise I started scrolling through the deck gun upgrade packs and found this;

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 3]
ID= UpgDeckGun
NameDisplayable= Deck Gun
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=USDeckGunBasic
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= BowDeckGun, SternDeckGun
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1943-09-01, Upack3in50calDGStern
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault2= 1943-09-02, NULL, Upack3in50calDGBow

NULL means anytime, but the kicker is the first slot "default1" sounds like it might be the first choice and therefore what it automatically starts with. So I swapped them;

ID= UpgDeckGun
Type=NULL
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1943-09-01, Upack3in50calDGBow
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault2= 1943-09-02, NULL, Upack3in50calDGStern

That's all it took, started a new career and got the 3 inch 50 on the bow as a default. Work for a bigger gun? Tried Sargo next,

ID= UpgDeckGun
Type=NULL
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1943-09-01, Upack4in50calDGBow
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault2= 1943-09-02, NULL, Upack3in50calDGStern

and the default gun for a career start with a Sargo is a bow mounted 4 inch 50.

So to do this, open
\Data\Submarine\NSS_SubType\NSS_SubType.upc (not SubType, change that to the type of sub you want to mod) then EDIT FIND (or CTRL F) "UpgDeckGun" and it will take you right there. Cut and paste to swap the Upack3in50calDGStern and Upack3in50calDGBow and you got a bow gun instead of stern gun by default.
Old 03-10-14, 12:59 PM   #23
Den0
Torpedoman

Default That is some fumes!!

Sniper have you tried that Sargo file out? Man now that is some diesel exhaust
Old 03-10-14, 04:43 PM   #24
Snarf
Officer

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 10

Don't forget, while you are in that file change the 40mm twin from USDeckGun to USHeavyAA, also .50 BMG from USMGAA to USLightAA
Then you will have access to the 40mm twin and the .50 Cal Browning.
Old 03-12-14, 07:57 PM   #25
Sniper297
The Old Man

If desired. Frankly with the single mount 40s fore and aft I had to cut down the available HE and AP ammo down to avoid the temptation to operate like a German E boat sinking everything in sight by punching 96 holes the size of dinner plates at the waterline on every target. Incorrigible sinner, when tempted I fall.

Latest simple mod;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4364

Does nothing more than change the default for career start to bow deck gun instead of stern, so those who want a bow gun but always forget to change it before leaving don't have to worry about it anymore.

Latest question, how do I start a career in 1941 with a Balao? Should be easy, open the Data\Submarines\NSS_Balao\NSS_Balao.upc, change this;

UnitInterval= 1943-02-04, 1963-07-11

to this;

UnitInterval= NULL, 1963-07-11

No joy, no Balao listed in 1941, probably gotta bribe a politician. Well, let's look at

\Data\UPCData\UPCCampaignData\Flotillas.upc and search for Balao.

[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 5]
ID= F1Balao
NameDisplayable= Balao class
AvailabilityInterval= 1943-08-01, NULL
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= Balao

Easy enough, change 1943-08-01 to NULL. Start game, no Balao in 1941. That's okay, sent Fat Louie Gerrettie to get my money back and break that politician's legs to teach him not to mess with Chicago boys like that. Next up;

\Data\UPCData\UPCCampaignData\CareerStart.upc

Copied one of the late war sub lists and pasted to overwrite the 41 flotillas lists.
That works, now I got a Balao in the 1941 Pearl menu, selecting that crashes the game.

After an hour or so of hack crash restore original hack again crash again, this file is one of the delicate ones that reinforces the constant preaching about having backups.

[CareerStart 1.Flotilla 1]
ID= C1Flotilla1
NameDisplayable= Pearl Harbor
IDLinkFlotilla= PearlHarborCommand ; link to ID in Flotilla upc file
IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F1Porpoise, 4, F1Tambor, 5, F1Gar, 4 ; enumeration of ID(s) that point to submarine upc file
FlotillaBriefingText=
FlotillaCommonality= 1 ; to be used when a random choice is assigned

[CareerStart 1.Flotilla 2]
ID= C1Flotilla2
NameDisplayable= Manila
IDLinkFlotilla= FremantleCommand
IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F2Sboat, 6, F2Porpoise, 7, F2Salmon, 6, F2Sargo, 11
FlotillaBriefingText=
FlotillaCommonality= 2 ; to be used when a random choice is assigned

Note that all subs in Pearl have F1 for flotilla 1, all at Manila F2 for flotilla 2. So copying the entire line from a 1944 flotilla and pasting to overwrite won't work, you have to use the correct number and syntax to add a comma after the last number then paste F1Balao, 10 or F2Balao, 10 after the last sub listed.

[CareerStart 1.Flotilla 1]
ID= C1Flotilla1
NameDisplayable= Pearl Harbor
IDLinkFlotilla= PearlHarborCommand ; link to ID in Flotilla upc file
IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F1Porpoise, 4, F1Tambor, 5, F1Gar, 4, F1Balao, 10 ; enumeration of ID(s) that point to submarine upc file
FlotillaBriefingText=
FlotillaCommonality= 1 ; to be used when a random choice is assigned

[CareerStart 1.Flotilla 2]
ID= C1Flotilla2
NameDisplayable= Manila
IDLinkFlotilla= FremantleCommand
IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F2Sboat, 6, F2Porpoise, 7, F2Salmon, 6, F2Sargo, 11, F2Balao, 10
FlotillaBriefingText=
FlotillaCommonality= 2 ; to be used when a random choice is assigned

That file is the persnickety one, the other two need to have the dates changed on whichever late war sub you want for a 41 career start, but if the game crashes look carefully at the syntax in CareerStart.upc because that's the usual suspect.
Old 03-12-14, 08:33 PM   #26
Den0
Torpedoman

Default Fine Job Sir!!

[IMG][/IMG]

1941 BEWARE!!!
Old 03-12-14, 08:37 PM   #27
Den0
Torpedoman

Default I want bore and stern 40s!!

I would then have a Narwhal on steriods if I could mount those on the Balao, and have crew to man them

Spelling Fail bore equal FORE.....
Old 03-13-14, 12:15 PM   #28
Snarf
Officer

Well after 1945 in stock you can have bow and stern 5/25's and bow and stern 40MM's, even a twin 40mm. No reason you couldn't hack your way into having that in 1941

bow + fore = bore
Old 03-13-14, 12:38 PM   #29
Sniper297
The Old Man

I haven't bought 1.5 yet so no gots Narwahl, but I could swear I saw a Gato or Balao with stubby 5s fore and aft. Tried starting careers in 44 with various subs to see which it was, if I could find it maybe I could dope out what's needed to have complete bow and stern slots on older subs.
Old 03-13-14, 02:23 PM   #30
Snarf
Officer

I actually got a 4" fore and 5" aft as I was trying to get dual 4" guns. It's very hard to get the time with a family to dive deep in the files and tweak this stuff. I'm sure with a little more work dual 4's or 3's could be had on an early sub too.

1.5 is less than 10 bucks online, it has the added benefit (at least purchasing thru amazon) of eliminating the need for the disc to play the game.