SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-24-13, 02:24 AM   #16
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 458
Uploads: 0

To end this topic with my stupidity of the other day (still can't believe it ), i discovered a weird thing:

To get water transparency, the environment box must be checked, but then we see through crew as known issue...
If i uncheck environment box, but check volumetric fog instead, i still have water transparency AND i don't see through crew!
Weird, but it works!
Nevertheless, i've to see this volumetric fog rendering on my PC yet...
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 02:44 PM   #17
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

The env. option checked is basically the switch that activates the waterTransPS.fx, the shader that deals with transparency. It may be that volumetric fog activates it as well or activates another shader that allows transparency. I would guess like most games, the shader is activated based on certain enviroment or weather conditions. I can activate both settings and still have transparent water on a day with no fog.

They're are several values in scene dat that tweak or adjust how much transparency takes place, but I'm guessing that some values work with one shader, some another. Heck, some may be there and have no effect at all.

// WaterParams.x = ReflectionDeformation;
// WaterParams.y = Fresnel;
// WaterParams.z = ReflectivityScale;
// WaterParams.w = HighlightThreshold;

Not sure what PS your card uses, probably 4, but pixel and shader models relate to a cards DX compliance Pixel and shader model relates to a cards DirectX compliance. DirectX can be divided into two specifications, the Pixel Shader Model, and the Vertex Shader Model. Each model has different hardware requirements, and when you take both into account you can determine the overall DirectX version.Think of this number as a more specific description of the DirectX version. Specifically, what pixel manipulation capabilities it has. This number may directly affect the features that will be available to you in certain games. Most agree it's
best to use the DX used the game was made off of and obvious drivers have an overall effect as well. Often older games start having issues with newer hard/soft ware. IMO, you can almost always use the newer stuff, but it may take some tweaking with hard and soft ware to get the desired look.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Last edited by Armistead; 04-24-13 at 03:29 PM.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 04:35 PM   #18
Fifi
Navy Seal

Thanks for those infos
Old 04-25-13, 03:49 PM   #19
Fifi
Navy Seal

Think my tweekings are close enough...time for some action

(but even though i'm a big SH4 fan, nothing can still beat this sea rendering: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=3023)

Last edited by Fifi; 04-25-13 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-28-13, 01:17 AM   #20
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

looks great

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote