Old 04-18-20, 01:02 PM   #2971
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Another factor to mention is 'buy enough time to find a vaccine/cure'

What if a vaccine/cure is years away instead of the months we've been promised? We going to keep our populations on house arrest until then?
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 01:04 PM   #2972
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
University of Oxford steps forward bvy claiming they could have a vaccine in Septembre. Reason why I do not rule this out form beginning on is that I read they were the ones doing already the vaccion eon MERS,. and that they did not need to reenvent the wheel, but just need to to adapt the old vacicne technology to the new Corona virus, which is quite fmailiar to the old MERS, at least thats whyt they claimed on TV. This aexperience gives them an advanatge over many of the other contenders.

By Septembre they mean that the mass production could already start that month.

I do not bet my life on it and do not take their word for granted, but they seem to be one of the most promising research projects for a vaccine currently.

The earlier the better. IF IT WORKS, of course.
Here in the UK news it is being reported they are very confident they will be successful but I've no information on what that confidence might be based on.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 01:08 PM   #2973
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
What if a vaccine/cure is years away instead of the months we've been promised? We going to keep our populations on house arrest until then?
I think that would be very difficult and would cite the problems three of the US states are currently experiencing.

I've no idea if it is just a coincidence they are all Democratic states but the output from a certain source really doesn't appear to be helping matters.

Old 04-18-20, 01:25 PM   #2974
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
but the output from a certain source really doesn't appear to be helping matters.

I wonder how many fewer deaths there would be if "somebody" had said he forbid the use of hydroxychloroquine instead of voicing his opinion that it might be helpful.
Old 04-18-20, 01:39 PM   #2975
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I'm trying to make a point as vaguely as possible (probably unsuccessfully) so as not to take the thread into politics.

Wuhan for coronavirus topic thread and the political connection in the US politics thread.

Old 04-18-20, 01:47 PM   #2976
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
I think that would be very difficult and would cite the problems three of the US states are currently experiencing.

I've no idea if it is just a coincidence they are all Democratic states but the output from a certain source really doesn't appear to be helping matters.

Don't blame Trump for that. Those governors have problems because of their authoritarian policies. Arresting church goers in their cars? Lone surfers out on the ocean? There is a thin line between appropriately responding to a crisis and pushing a free people too far. We are jealous of our liberties and rightly so imo.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 01:59 PM   #2977
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
I'm not going to be the first one to fall for a cure ... I would rather stay at home than find out I did something wrong later.

I've read somewhere that all vaccines are not the same for men and women that the vaccines of today seem to work better on men than women. Odd, uh?

Not that I am a woman, but still
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 02:02 PM   #2978
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
There is a thin line between appropriately responding to a crisis and pushing a free people too far. We are jealous of our liberties and rightly so imo.

Especially when they feel they need to release criminals from jails for the scumbag's protection from covid-19, and said criminals are already killing people.
Old 04-18-20, 02:07 PM   #2979
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Here in the UK news it is being reported they are very confident they will be successful but I've no information on what that confidence might be based on.
I got the impression from reports on German TV that the confidence is based on their experience with their earlier vaccine for MERS, where they also formed the spearhead. They must not do the development from scratch, but work on adapting the old vaccine to the new but somewhat familiar virus. That knowledge lead gives them an advantage over their contenders, they can use old techniques of theirs, while others must even build these techniques first, or other ones.

The confidence is founded on an experience lead, my impression is.
Old 04-18-20, 02:12 PM   #2980
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I've read somewhere that all vaccines are not the same for men and women that the vaccines of today seem to work better on men than women. Odd, uh?
Not really. Men very often benefit better form vaccines because they have the weaker immune systems, compared to women's immune systems, which are stronger (because they are the ones carrying out babies).

Quite some difference in severity of health ciodntions in bioth genders is due to the different physiologicla setup of men and women, due to their different biological roles.

So much for progressive "gender studies.
Old 04-18-20, 02:25 PM   #2981
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
But successful when? My take is that it will be fall at least, before a real mass production can even start, lots of tests necessary. There are quite a few drugs that battle the virus successfully, but also kill the host by high fever or a cytokine storm. Testing takes time

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 03:09 PM   #2982
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Breaking News

Everyone in New York now required to wear a face mask

Monday all Walmart employees will have to wear face mask too
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 03:13 PM   #2983
Skybird
Soaring

I say again: German TV news, I think it was either RTL or ZDF but I am not certain anymore, today claimed in an interview with the lead professor of the Oxford team, a woman, that they might be ready for mass production in September. Obviously all tests must have been done before that date. They plan to produce a million doses per day. From septembre on.

I do not say it is so, I cannot judge that, I just repeat what the TV coverage of this news said, and what the team leader said in an interview.

It sounds too good for me to be true, very optimistic, still, this is not just any science team. Their role in the vaccine development for MERS, so it was claimed in that news report, puts them into the absolute spearhead of international endavours. The professor leading the Oxford nteam even said that getting a vaccine for a Corona virus were not even any especially difficult task, since the virus is in principle well-understood, she claimed. Says she - not me, mind you.

A German company that some weeks ago made headlines, also claimed to have a vaccine in fall - if everything goes well and smooth and perfect and there were no setbacks of any sorts, Hoppe admitted himself, so he acknowledged the chance for delays, the estimaiton for fall is valid in an perfectly ideal scenario only, which imho makes it unlikely, I do not believe in perfect, ideal scenarios. This Germna lab follows another approach and uses a different technique that was never run before, however. At least two American labs try the same approach like the Germans.

Its about a vaccine, yes. But for the contenders, its also an economic race for enormous profits. He who is first, wins a fortune.
Old 04-18-20, 03:36 PM   #2984
Skybird
Soaring

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/18/o...tis/index.html

There needs to be a liberation day event. And it must focus on liberating the WH. what Putin did with the famous little green men on the Crimean poeninsula, Trumpman now seems to try with calling flocks of armed mobsters onto the streets.

This is not just a mentally deranged carricature of a president anymore, this is simply criminal and a frontal assault on the constitutional order of the Polarized States. A call for violent uprise and civil war. An attack on the state and nation itself.

America's probably worst enemy now sits in the WH itself. These four years will leave greater damages to the US than the Vietnam war or Bush'S lie-and-cheat campaign or Obama's totla and complete failure in lognterm global strategic interests of the US. Trump is turning into an existential threat to the US now.

Empty-headed stupids with assault rifles. What a fantastic, deeply worrying sight to see.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-18-20 at 03:47 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 03:45 PM   #2985
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Interesting that none of you have mentioned it(haven't seen or remember having seen it here in this thread)

First time I heard about this medicin was some weeks ago and yesterday some news program mentioned something with a leaked document from an American university
The medicin they are testing with success-according to this university mentioned in the following link is:

"Remdesivir"

This is also very interesting using a medicin which was developed to cure Ebola.

Quote:
Remdesivir was one of the first medicines identified as having the potential to impact SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus that causes Covid-19, in lab tests. The entire world has been waiting for results from Gilead’s clinical trials, and positive results would likely lead to fast approvals by the Food and Drug Administration and other regulatory agencies. If safe and effective, it could become the first approved treatment against the disease.
https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/...-to-treatment/

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan