SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-29-09, 05:07 PM   #2941
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Yeah if it was IL2 the fighters and smaller bombers would have skip bombed the crap out of those ships.It is fun to skip bomb yourself in IL2 but it does take some time to get it right.

I think Armistead should get IL2 then he can have the subs and the airplanes to boot.It is fun to watch an attack but all the more fun to be flying a plane in said attack never knowing when your wing might get blown off by a dead eye AA gunner.Like Navy pilots say; Always remeber there are far more planes at the bottom of the sea than there are submarines in the sky.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 06:12 PM   #2942
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
Yeah if it was IL2 the fighters and smaller bombers would have skip bombed the crap out of those ships.It is fun to skip bomb yourself in IL2 but it does take some time to get it right.

I think Armistead should get IL2 then he can have the subs and the airplanes to boot.It is fun to watch an attack but all the more fun to be flying a plane in said attack never knowing when your wing might get blown off by a dead eye AA gunner.Like Navy pilots say; Always remeber there are far more planes at the bottom of the sea than there are submarines in the sky.

I'm too old to deal with planes...
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 09:41 PM   #2943
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Old 07-01-09, 11:32 AM   #2944
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

@ Armistead: Love that last one - very moody. I have yet to see that kind of fog in SH4. Probably because I can only run it with all graphics effects turned off. Still...

[edit] I had a couple of screenshots here but moved them to the U-Boats screenshots thread. Sorry 'bout that...

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 07-01-09 at 01:51 PM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 12:34 PM   #2945
Dirty Dee
Swabbie

Downloads: 8

thats a new one

Dirty Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 12:45 PM   #2946
Armistead
Rear Admiral

That one doe's have a ghostly look. Been working on some weather tweaks. Still have a few things to do, but I like the look of
heavy fog without rain.

Last edited by Armistead; 07-01-09 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-01-09, 02:19 PM   #2947
joeljansson
Sparky

Downloads: 0

i start at brisbane and go up to raubal sea and encounter a convoy all torps ran to be duds or a miss then i go to 450 feet and 2 knots away to the west 2-4 km away i encounter a convoy again and im like aaah cmon man give me those lone european liners that i see here all the time (on subsim that is) ive never seen one and i start runing flank to south and rtb i came across 3 convoys that day and NO TORPS
Old 07-01-09, 06:14 PM   #2948
SgtPotato
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 96

First time to posting my screenshots!

Be very quiet...

Two japanese destoryers are trying to find me while I'm dead stop at 250 ft down. Funny thing is they dropping the depth charges way off away from me.
SgtPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 02:46 PM   #2949
Nicolai
Watch

Downloads: 74
Default First screenshot post

first screenshot post, hope you like it

With playable cruiser, big plane explosion

And from behind

and this one on its way to the bottom

I created a mission with the editor, two task forces meet. huge battle and lots of smoke

thats all
Nikolai
Nicolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 09:04 PM   #2950
Mikeb213
Sailor man

Downloads: 36
Default Ship Log USS Drum

I am not entirely sure about the dates here on this patrol but this was a good one so I thought I would share it with you. I run SH4 1.4 with TMO installed and that is really it.

I left Pearl on June 3rd 1942 after just taking over command of the USS Drum. My mission was to drop 6 commandos off on the island of Java, so I had a long way to go.
I left Pearl headed for Midway at flank speed, as I was getting closer I got a message advising me that there was a major battle on at Midway.
Through the day on the 4th I started to run into a lot of planes on patrol, and had to dive to evade. By night time on the 5th I was approching Midway and I was able to sneak into rearm and resupply. I then set course for Java. As I left Midway during the night I stayed on the surface running at about 10 knots. Early morning on the 8th I wasn't paying close enough attention and was caught on the surface and was bombed by a random Zero that was flying by. With one hit, it blew a hole threw the engine room. I had 51% damage from that one hit and my engines were off line so I crash dove down to 150 feet and began repairs. It took me almost a full day to get my engines back online. So I began to run again on the surface on the night of the 9th. I was able to get a look at my boat on the surface and the damage looked pretty bad. You could see all the way through the hull to the engine room. I had learned my lesson after that. Anytime I saw a plane I dove to PD. By the 12th I reached Wake Island and I continued on about 150 miles SW I got a contact on radar. I got a bit closer and began to get multi contacts, so I had come across a convoy! I was heading SW and they were coming right at me going to the NE. I manuevered at flank speed directly west so I could side step them and get myself the perfect setup. I decided that I was far enough out and swung the ship back around toward the convoy continuing at flank untill I was with in 5k yards. At that point I pulled the plug. By then I found that I was attacking 6 ships, 2 of which were DDs, and the other ones were Heavy Cruisers! So I continued to move in for there perfect beam shot, they had the two DD's runing one on each side of the convoy. As the DD closed with me I dropped my periscope and rigged for silent. It passed by and he wasn't even doing any active pinging! I popped my periscope up and saw that there was one Heavy Cruiser lagging behind the others. If you can call 27 knots as lagging. By that time the cruiser was about 30 degrees off my starboard, traveling at 27 knots it wouldn't take it long to line up, so I waited till it was about 25 degrees and I shot all 6 forward torps at him. I then crash dove and ran at flank to get on the other side of his track so I could set up a stern shot. As I was running the screen popped up showing my topedoes closing in on the target. My first topedoe was about 50 feet under the target! I couldn't believe it all that work and a great shot, and missed! About that time.......the other five struck home and he was blown compeltely apart! I dove down 300ft and headed directly S at 3 knots to evade the DD's that were coming for me. I was lucky enough to be able to get under 2 thermal layers so they were unable to find me. They dropped a few half hearted depth charges but I just continued on for about and hour and then returned to course and surfaced about three hours later just to make sure.

So.....I don't know if anyone will really read this so if you guys want me to finish the patrol let me know but I got a bit long winded here so I don't even know if you'll read it lol. Let me know what ya think!
Mike
Mikeb213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 12:28 AM   #2951
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Default B-24 spotlight.

Old 07-04-09, 01:10 AM   #2952
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

OH We read them all right, go for it. It's always interesting to see how others play the game and what results they have.
You seem to be having a good one so far.

As for long winded just check my post # 252 and 254 above.

Magic
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 10:44 AM   #2953
Mikeb213
Sailor man

Downloads: 36

Alright so for that patrol

I continued on to the SW into the Banda Sea, about two days later I think it was close to the 14th I got a convoy hit on my radar about 20 miles to my south. It was in the middle of the night so I figured I would continue in on the surface I began to run in at flank trying to identify what I was shooting at. There were three ships running in a line from North to South, I finally got ident on them, three tankers, the lead was a large, the two following were small. I swung out to the West to side step them a bit so I could set up for beam shots. By this time they were about 7400 yards out still to the south of me coming in a straight line and I was set up to close on there track. I pulled the plug and went down to PD, I kept track of them via sonar and stayed at flank. I closed to within 1000 yards of the track and came to full stop and waited for them to close the distance. As I was waiting I began to pickup a warship on sonar, and then another. Apparently on the opposite side of the convoy there were to DD's. Just freaking great, so I rigged for silent, and waited for my shots. I prefer to not make the torpedoes do a lot of turning on there own so I wait until the first ship is at 0 degrees , and the second ship is within 10 degrees to starboard. I send 4 fish at the large tanker, and 2 at the next one in line. I then dive to 150 and try to run under the convoy. Almost as soon as I let my fish go I begin to hear pings from the DD's. I increase to flank and follow my fish in. I had one dud on the first guy but all the other three hit, and he began to break up. The second guy took both torpedoes and didn't sink but he did come to a full stop so I ran under him. The DD's ran to where I had been as I passed under the tanker so I came back up on the opposite side and let another fish go from my aft tube into the tanker which took him out.....but also took my cover away and the DD's waisted no time coming for me. I crash dove 250, but couldn't seem to get a thermal layer. They came at me on the first run and were pretty well lined up, but moving at flank and maneuvering I was able to evade. As soon as they passed by I dropped back down to 1/3rd to try and get as silent as possible. I changed course and tried to go back to the west but they lined up on me again, so I had o run at flank while they tried to drop depth charges on me. They missed again so I cut speed again down to 1/3 and went down to 300 feet. I figured what the heck this is a brand new sub test depth shouldn't be to bad. Still no thermal layer, so they lined up on me again. I began making 90 degree turns while doing my flank runs to evade there depth charges. I still couldn't get them to go away. I dropped down to 350 to see if that would help. Again, they lined up on me and I had to jump to flank, another 90 degree turn. When I dropped back down to 1/3 I took her to 400 feet. FINALLY I found a thermal layer at 376 feet. They were unable to line up with me after that. I stayed at 1/3rd and had swung my self back around to the east. After about an hour I could still here them to my aft, so I kicked it up to 2/3rds and was able to get away. Not to bad for 1 Large Tanker, and 1 small one.
Mikeb213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 12:26 PM   #2954
Silverwolf
Officer

Downloads: 21
Default Sunset

After a long day's patrol it's good for the crew to get some air.
Silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 01:47 PM   #2955
runningdeer
Frogman

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Excellent shot

runningdeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screenshots