SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-22-14, 02:02 PM   #271
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Most larger companies in the US do now test for it and also some will make you walk on stair machine and check your heart rate. Based on some drivers I have seen I think theyd be in trouble if they feel down the issue would be getting back up talking van pullers of course.

I talked to a guy the other day that had to have been 65~70 the other day he looked pretty fit though he pulled skateborads like me Id trust him over many younger drivers I have seen. I heard someone say that the median age that make the best drivers is 56.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 04:46 PM   #272
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Downloads: 11

We've got a tanker yanker here that just this year decided that he couldn't get up the ladders anymore. For the past 5 years someone has been loading his tank for him and when he gets to the unloading spot someone else opens his hatch for him. He tips the scales at 380lbs, is diabetic but only on the pills. He is hauling gravel, now. His age is 69.

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
swamprat69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 04:58 PM   #273
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 24

Default of some interest $$$-wise!

http://dqydj.net/should-you-get-a-degree-or-drive-a-truck/ Since a lot of us (princes of the open road) have college and truck licenses...the best of both worlds! I heard the same age 50's statistic; a little like the 100 hour flying peril: your just 'safer' by the mid century mark-survived a few near fatalities and/or observed others and scribed their examples into you personal low percentage maneuver index under do not repeat. Hence the gruesome photo slide show over a sumptuous Omaha corn-fed steak dinner at the company HQ in Ft. Scott back in the day. To get fed next month: don't do those things. If nothing else, mid-century age guys are real good about sleep time-fatigue is the leading killer- and that job 'll 'be there in the morning'. Percentage maneuver rule #1: don't learn from your mistakes- learn from from Dumbo's mistakes-it saves energy and you live to age 56. The dispatcher can spin in his office chair I'm getting in a nap... and that takes a half century of wisdom.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 05:18 PM   #274
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
http://dqydj.net/should-you-get-a-degree-or-drive-a-truck/ Since a lot of us (princes of the open road) have college and truck licenses...the best of both worlds! I heard the same age 50's statistic; a little like the 100 hour flying peril: your just 'safer' by the mid century mark-survived a few near fatalities and/or observed others and scribed their examples into you personal low percentage maneuver index under do not repeat. Hence the gruesome photo slide show over a sumptuous Omaha corn-fed steak dinner at the company HQ in Ft. Scott back in the day. To get fed next month: don't do those things. If nothing else, mid-century age guys are real good about sleep time-fatigue is the leading killer- and that job 'll 'be there in the morning'. Percentage maneuver rule #1: don't learn from your mistakes- learn from from Dumbo's mistakes-it saves energy and you live to age 56. The dispatcher can spin in his office chair I'm getting in a nap... and that takes a half century of wisdom.
No truer words were ever said.
There is nothing in that wagon that is worth my life. Is one reason i have used in the past.
The other one I have used is, 'would you rather have your load splattered all over the highway? Or just a bit late?

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Old 07-22-14, 05:27 PM   #275
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Well I am a few years yet from 56. I think it might have as much to do with work ethic than anything. A person mid fifties has set their ways and also in most cases has some plot of land or kids in college or is finishing up on a nest egg. Therefore they tend to be a more reliable worker.

Of course that is a stat so it will not apply to everyone some people have 30 years of bad work habits too.

I think for certain driving industry wise a person mid fifties is less likely to jump ship after a bad week while a younger person is more likely to swap companies and discover that the grass is greener because the dog craps in that spot.
Old 07-22-14, 05:35 PM   #276
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

It took me less than a year and two different companies to figure that one out. That is why I am working on my 28th year with this company and already have my gold watch. For me, the grass is greenest right where I am at.

Old 07-22-14, 05:56 PM   #277
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Finding a good company isn't easy. Staying with them is.
I heard more than a few horror stories regarding certain trucking outfits.

Then, the irony sets in...

I started way too late to get a decent trucking career going but , I think I started with one of the best when I did. Cedar Rapids Steel Transport (CRST) had all late model tractors and they were highly concerned with safety.
I pulled for them for about a year until my health suddenly went south and I reluctantly had to give it up. I made good money at the starting mileage rate of $0.18 per mile and I got plenty of miles every month. Mostly cross country runs. No incidents during my time on the highways that garnered an A-1 rating in the eyes of other trucking companies/ After the stroke, Swift was after me for months to accept a dedicated Wal-Mart run. which would have beaten the socks off of that 21 days out with a 4 day break BS. Had to turn them down.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 06:00 PM   #278
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
Finding a good company isn't easy. Staying with them is.
I heard more than a few horror stories regarding certain trucking outfits.

Then, the irony sets in...

I started way too late to get a decent trucking career going but , I think I started with one of the best when I did. Cedar Rapids Steel Transport (CRST) had all late model tractors and they were highly concerned with safety.
I pulled for them for about a year until my health suddenly went south and I reluctantly had to give it up. I made good money at the starting mileage rate of $0.18 per mile and I got plenty of miles every month. Mostly cross country runs. No incidents during my time on the highways that garnered an A-1 rating in the eyes of other trucking companies/ After the stroke, Swift was after me for months to accept a dedicated Wal-Mart run Would have beaten the socks off that 21 days out with a 4 day break. Had to turn them down.
So that is what CRST stands for....They do have good looking iron.
What is stopping you from becoming a dispatcher? Other than being called everything under the sun and none of it complimentary?

Old 07-22-14, 06:01 PM   #279
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
... just out of driving school; fortunately, I had been a big city UPS delivery and Union bob-tail driver so I had some 'astute combat' training prior to going to the interstate rigs. I only became a lead driver when mine 'jumped truck' and someone had to drive it 1500 miles back to the Fort Scott depot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
Well I am a few years yet from 56. I think it might have as much to do with work ethic than anything. A person mid fifties has set their ways and also in most cases has some plot of land or kids in college or is finishing up on a nest egg.

Of course that is a stat so it will not apply to everyone some people have 30 years of bad work habits too.

I think for certain driving industry wise a person mid fifties is less likely to jump ship after a bad week while a younger person is more likely to swap companies and discover that the grass is greener because the dog craps in that spot.
You would think huh! my captain, age 56, jumped truck on me at LA-family issues- and that's how I Became lead helm...like so many breaks in life-by default: age 26; some of my older co-drivers had issues with a kid for a boss!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 06:08 PM   #280
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

I'm 68 in September and my foreman is just nudging 40. He is a great guy to work for. I was the one that trained him on the proper way to unload tankers way back when he was an oiler driver. (Spraying the oil on the road so the chip spreader can cover it with gravel.)
Now he is the foreman of the same crew he started on and also has signing authority on buying chip spreaders.

Old 07-22-14, 07:03 PM   #281
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat69er View Post
So that is what CRST stands for....They do have good looking iron.
What is stopping you from becoming a dispatcher? Other than being called everything under the sun and none of it complimentary?
Uhh, disability. I can't handle stress without possibly going into permanent lock up.

Other drivers referred to us as...
  • Constantly
  • Rolling
  • Semi
  • Trucks

Better than the derogatory terms used for Swift.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 07:07 PM   #282
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
Uhh, disability. I can't handle stress without possibly going into permanent lock up.

Other drivers referred to us as...
  • Constantly
  • Rolling
  • Semi
  • Trucks

Better than the derogatory terms used for Swift.
I have never heard any derogatory terms for Swift, although I did meet one driver once and thought he might be a little light in the loafers.

Old 07-22-14, 08:27 PM   #283
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Another name I have heard is Crash Roll and Stunt Company.
Old 07-22-14, 08:32 PM   #284
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

I have heard a few for J.B.Hunt, which I won't repeat here. And we can't forget the Pumpkin trucks.
I have been asked many times in both Canada and the U.S. what M.P. stands for and I usually tell them 'More Pay'.

Old 07-23-14, 05:53 AM   #285
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat69er View Post
I have never heard any derogatory terms for Swift, although I did meet one driver once and thought he might be a little light in the loafers.
SWIFT...
  • Slow
  • White
  • Ignorant
  • Friggin
  • Truckers
Or backwards...
  • Two
  • Faggots
  • In
  • White
  • Sleeper