Downloads: 541
Uploads: 224

Guys, use the spolier tags, m'k?
Old 06-20-16, 07:58 PM   #273
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Is there anyone besides me who isn't caught up to the new episodes yet?
If not then please don't bother using spoiler tags. Maybe just edit the thread title to add the words: "contains spoilers dumb ass!"

Because threads about an ongoing TV series will obviously contain spoilers and one would have to be a pretty big dummy not to know that. Having to double click on nearly every message in the thread is a drag.

Just my opinion.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 08:16 PM   #274
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Is there anyone besides me who isn't caught up to the new episodes yet?
If not then please don't bother using spoiler tags. Maybe just edit the thread title to add the words: "contains spoilers dumb ass!"

Because threads about an ongoing TV series will obviously contain spoilers and one would have to be a pretty big dummy not to know that. Having to double click on nearly every message in the thread is a drag.

Just my opinion.
I agree.
Then again... for those who aren't up to date yet, this is the only place to talk about it and it must feel like running drunk through a minefield trying to avoid to read a spoiler.

So yeah, we might better use tags. I sure will, and will edit my older posts as well. If there's something like an amendment to me it is: "You shall not spoiler GoT!"

I'd probably castrate someone who spoils me with GoT stuff.
And no I'm not joking.
There's TV shows. And then there's GoT.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like I got my own personal secretary to edit my posts. Yeah, Neal, if you could bring me some Coffee while you're at it, that would be great!

Old 06-20-16, 09:25 PM   #275
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
I agree.
Then again... for those who aren't up to date yet, this is the only place to talk about it
But who want's to talk about what happened in previous seasons?

I'm at Season 5 episode 2. The ones ahead of me in the series are not going to want to opine very much about the meaning of events in the episode I just saw because they're reluctant to let a spoiler slip and I can't talk to anyone further back in the series for the same reason. It stifles conversation.

After all what am i gonna say if someone who just watched season 1 episode 9 comes in here and starts talking about Ned Stark being freed to join the Black Watch? "Just wait and see" is all I could possibly reply to such a post.

Better just to can the whole spoiler tag idea and keep the discussion to where the series is currently at. That way folks can freely talk about what might happen the next episode and the ones after that.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 10:59 PM   #276
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Mein Gott

That was one of the best medieval-esque depictions of a battle I've seen in a long long time, the cavalry vs cavalry charge was brutal, as it would have been, although I really wouldn't fancy Jons chances of not getting Snow-plowed in between those two cavalry forces. The sheer muddy, bloody confusion of battle leading up to the shield wall-pike encirclement (clever little tactic that, I presume it was a real life tactic although not one that I've encountered before...although I don't think I've got to that episode of the British History Podcast yet) and the rout in which Jon nearly gets crushed. Rarely has there been such a brilliant visceral view on such a battle. The cinematography reminded me a bit of Passchendaele or Band of Brothers but without the firearms. Sure, Jon pulled a dumb move, and played straight into Ramsays ploy, but then how often has Jon commanded a large scale army? He doesn't strike me as the strategic or tactical thinker, he's more Titus Pullo than Gaius Julius...ok, maybe not so much Titus Pullo, but the point is, despite being a Commander of the Nights Watch, he's not lead an offensive force in a traditional battle, so he's going to want to Leeroy Jenkins and kill the bad guys. I look forward to Sansa taking over the role of commanding the army in the future, she's clearly got more savvy.
Sure, we all knew Littlefinger was going to save the day, and I suspect that he might now try to put the creep on Sansa, but that's going to backfire hard in his face, but since the Tully forces are going to be about the only thing projecting Stark power in the north after Jons army got badly mauled, she's not going to have the lee-way she hopes she has. And eventually, but probably not until next season or the season after, the Lannisters are going to realise that there are Starks in the north again, and that's not something that can stay unanswered...although I imagine by then Daenarys will be landing her forces and at some point the Sand Sisters are going to stop holding the idiot ball and start avenging.
At this point, the militant faith are the least of the problems for the Lannisters, but I don't think that Cersei and Jaime quite realise that yet, Kevan probably does since he's pretty much the one running the show, and yet gets so little air time.
Yeah, the scene with Daenarys was a bit cringey, although I did like her and Yara bonding, that did make me grin. I can't see the Ironborn giving up their raping and pillaging ways though, but I suspect that storyline might suffer a fair bit of handwavium since by then other more prominant stories will be taking place.
Meanwhile, I imagine Euron has managed to construct a small rowing boat using the twigs he has gathered from the Iron islands, a series of islands well known for their forests capable of manufacturing a thousand ships, and he is probably rowing to meet Varys.

So yeah, damn fine episode I think, and unless the next episode pulls a direwolf out of the hat I think it's going to be overshadowed significantly by this one.

Oh...and Ramsays demise...brilliant, although personally I'd have dropped him in an oubliette so that he had plenty of time to reflect on his mistakes before he died of dehydration or starvation, or blood loss from clawing at the walls trying to get out. Seriously, oubliette...I'd probably take the dogs, a great deal of pain and then it's over, a matter of five-ten minutes.
Probably a good thing I was never a medieval lord...
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-16, 04:32 AM   #277
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I doubt we will see another war between the Starks and the Lannisters. The Lion has lost its teeth with Cersei being pretty much the only one who might want another war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Oh...and Ramsays demise...brilliant, although personally I'd have dropped him in an oubliette so that he had plenty of time to reflect on his mistakes before he died of dehydration or starvation, or blood loss from clawing at the walls trying to get out.

Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 09:04 AM   #278
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 04:20 PM   #279
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post

I doubt we will see another war between the Starks and the Lannisters. The Lion has lost its teeth with Cersei being pretty much the only one who might want another war.

Indeed,

it depends if Cersei can scheme her way back into control of the direction of House Lannister, at the moment she's fallen a long way since Season One, but she's a strong willed and devious character, if there's a way for her to climb back to the top she will.

Also, I'd say I'm more:

Also:

http://imgur.com/gallery/AQQN9X6
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-16, 10:01 PM   #280
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Scheming: complete!

Now that was an episode with really good writing!

Now we know

Ned Stark had a nephew as well as a bastard! Wow.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 06-26-16 at 10:13 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-16, 12:40 AM   #281
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Scheming: complete!

Now that was an episode with really good writing!

Now we know

Ned Stark had a nephew as well as a bastard! Wow.

Huh? A Nephew, yes... but how does he have a bastard when he isn't the father?
However, perfect episode, nothing to complain about. They really... cleaned out the cast a little, didn't they? I mean what's this episode's kill list? Phew! Now it will be a gruesome long winter until season 7 - which obviously will be very... very interesting. I wish there would be cryochambers already, I'd take a nap till April!
Old 06-27-16, 05:48 AM   #282
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

No complaints with the ending or the previous two episodes but boy, it took some time for the season to get started.

Hopefully the next season will have a more interesting start/beginning.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-16, 12:15 PM   #283
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

I listened to the whispers between Lyanna and Ned Stark several times, could not really hear it. I found on the web that the exchange went like this, which makes sense

As Lyanna dies, she whispers this to Ned: "If Robert finds out, he'll kill him, you know he will. You have to protect him. Promise me, Ned. Promise me." The "Robert" she speaks of, presumably, is Robert Baratheon, her betrothed and the future king of Westeros. Rhaegar stole her from Robert, thus setting off the uprising known as Robert's Rebellion and leading to the events of A Game of Thrones.

Does that sounds right, was anyone able to actually hear these words in the show?
Old 06-27-16, 01:06 PM   #284
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
I listened to the whispers between Lyanna and Ned Stark several times, could not really hear it. I found on the web that the exchange went like this, which makes sense

Does that sounds right, was anyone able to actually hear these words in the show?
That is 100% correct Onkel

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-16, 03:09 PM   #285
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
No one was able to hear the whole thing - that was the point.
Just like the "Lost in Translation" ending.

Not sure why they still make a mystery out of the obvious, though.

Tags
game of thrones, thrones