SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-04-14, 06:25 PM   #271
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

Well you know I always wanted to learn how to do 3d modelling on computer. I mean I love building stuff, I've been drawing stuff on paint since I was probably 6. I love building stuff in minecraft, and I have designed complicated things. Probably the thing I'd be most proud of is how I built a realisticly operating internal combustion engine on Lego digital designer. Im very meticulous and have an eye for detail for even the smallest things.

So if you'd be willing to teach me I'd love to help create some of your models, especially ones of those beautiful sailing vessels.

But if you wouldn't mind telling me, what software program do you use to build your models for cryengine. Just so I can play around with it myself first, and get a little more familiar with it.

Thanks
speed150mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 12:58 AM   #272
Thagarr
Mate

Downloads: 0

We could certainly use more modellers speed150mph, I am afraid though that modelling is far beyond my capacity as well, at least making it resemble anything in the real world! Ships are a tough one to start on, they are very complicated, and with the CryEngine, they are much more detailed.

There are some good tutorials around for STORM engine modelling, which is similar, but more low res. STORM is the engine that the 2003 Pirates of the Caribbean PC game used and it is the engine that we are most familiar with. As far as I know though, the engine doesn't really matter as long as the models meet the basic requirements.

Mostly I believe our modellers work in Maya, but I think there are one or two others as well. You can have a look through THIS tutorial in our STORM Modelling section. I would also recommend looking through some of the threads in that section and take a look at the models others have done.

To keep this thread from getting off topic though, I would suggest that you ask any questions that you may have over on our forum to keep from cluttering up this one to much.
Thagarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-14, 04:48 AM   #273
con20or
Lieutenant

Downloads: 37

HOOCOTS now has it's own website, easier to follow updates now.

http://www.heartsofoakgame.com/
con20or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 07:11 AM   #274
Otto Fuhrmann
Helmsman

Downloads: 57

That's the first I've heard of Hearts of Oak, but it looks fantastic so far.
Otto Fuhrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 03:09 PM   #275
con20or
Lieutenant

Downloads: 37

I have no doubt that HOOCOTS is going to be every naval gamers dream.

These guys are liaising with the AoS community but still doing everything for free! They recently hit a snag that tured out to be a springboard - a graphics engine they had been using was unsuitable, so they moved to another. They translated the whole thing in a fraction of the time i took them to do the original work!!!

con20or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 03:29 PM   #276
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

thanks for posting that!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 01:31 PM   #277
rdjulius
Nub

A sneak peak exclusive!

This is all I can give you guys at the moment. Keep in mind this was game-play from over 2 years ago its progressed allot since then brace for more and give support for this project on the YouTube video Comment section.

P.S I am not the actual developer I am posting on his behalf.
rdjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 05:48 PM   #278
DJ Kelley
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I've always considered Pirates of the Caribbean to be the closet thing to a sailing sim that we where going to get.

There was talk of them making a new one, where you would be able to walk around the ship and give orders to crew. However, that particular project was canceled.

Sounded like it would have been fun though.

I still have the original game on Xbox. I play it every now and again, but I always get mad that it ends after the campaign. They should have let you continue and do anything you wanted like Sid Meyer's Pirates did.
Old 09-04-14, 06:38 PM   #279
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome Aboard

rdjulius!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 05:19 AM   #280
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjulius View Post

This is all I can give you guys at the moment. Keep in mind this was game-play from over 2 years ago its progressed allot since then brace for more and give support for this project on the YouTube video Comment section.

P.S I am not the actual developer I am posting on his behalf.
Looks promising...reminds me of the naval engagements in NTW.

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 10:32 AM   #281
rdjulius
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Looks promising...reminds me of the naval engagements in NTW.

Welcome to SubSim
Yes I see some similarity, though this hopes to be an open World RPG. The game engine has been entirely built/programmed by the developer alone from scratch. It going to take time but then all good things do. And thank you!
rdjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 12:01 PM   #282
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Rgr that and your welcome

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 09:03 PM   #283
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

In the Game "Empire Total War", there are plenty of naval battles with sails ships.
Take a look:

Last edited by biosthetique; 09-10-14 at 04:52 AM.
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 08:31 AM   #284
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Except that it's not a "decent" sailing ship game, they are motorboats.

All sailing games get dumbed down, sadly. The sailing model is by far the most important factor.
Old 09-11-14, 07:44 AM   #285
bix
A-ganger

Default motor boats

Ahoy Mates,

Been lurking for a while on the thread (sadly I have not had the time to continue work on my "Signal, Close Action!" game, but I have not forgotten it).

Just wanted to pipe in to say indeed the sailing physics to me is the most important factor, but for it to feel real, the action must run really slowly. It is also the most difficult thing to achieve technically. And unfortunately, the reality only appeals to the connoisseur, thus the complete lack of it coming from the AAA game industry. Not enough market to warrant the expense. Which is why I am completely disgusted with the game industry.

Someday, I do hope to dust off my sailing code and complete the project, but alas, it does not look hopeful in the near future.

Best,
Bix
bix is offline   Reply With Quote