SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-11, 03:30 AM   #2821
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0

Hi LGN1,

i redid my second test with all torps manually set to impact pistol. And the result is: NOT ONE was a premature (test abandoned after 10th salvo: 0 of 40). You are completly right, this is a bug that at least i never recognised. Btw, speed and depth could be set for all torps together when in salvo status. But not pistol.

At least one usable result of the second test now is this: If 3 of 4 torps were magnetic and we have 24 failures, we got a ratio of 24 of 39, which is 61% of all magnetics. Less than in the first test, but enough to state that there are roughly one third prematures in bad sea when torps are equiped with magnetic pistol.

Conclusion

With no failures by using AZ at all, it is a new "feature" to introduce them for impacts. Even with a higher percentage for them than for the magnetics this mod should leave the kaleuns still more trusting in impacts than in magnetics. Without considering all the different orders, using the impact pistol in bad condition remains the recommended behaviour. I highly appreciate that and salute to h.sie´s und LGN1´s work.
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 05:11 AM   #2822
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitender View Post
You are completly right, this is a bug that at least i never recognised. Btw, speed and depth could be set for all torps together when in salvo status. But not pistol.
@h.sie, lgn1 and stiebler: would it be possible to fix this by a small hardcode fix?

i think lots of gamers do it wrong without knowing of the existence of this bug.
Old 12-13-11, 02:16 PM   #2823
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
I can confirm LGN1's finding: If you choose "salvo" and than switch to impact, only the 1st torpedo is an impact, all others are still magnetic.

It's a game bug.

One has to manually set all 4 torpedoes to impact one-by-one and then switch to salvo mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
@h.sie, lgn1 and stiebler: would it be possible to fix this by a small hardcode fix?

i think lots of gamers do it wrong without knowing of the existence of this bug.
Never realized this existed myself .
This is fixable though, I could do it with external code - similar to the Torpedo AutoReload code I did.
But hopefully h.sie can do a hardcode fix (preferred) if needed I can supply the locations for the Torpedos selected in salvo Mode.
I have found these already - torps selected is in an cumulative format from binary xxxxxx. EG:
xxxxxx = Torp6,Torp5,Torp4,Torp3,Torp2,Torp1
Torp1 = 1
Torp2 = 2
Torp3 = 4
Torp4 = 8
Torp5 = 16
Torp6 = 32

So a value of 50 = 32+16+2 ==> Torps 1,5 and 6 are selected.

The Impact/Magnetic switching value H.sie already has so one only needs to code the routine to apply the relevant Impact-Magnetic value to the torps selected by the salvo mode address.
Hope that makes sense
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 03:23 PM   #2824
Jaeger
Chief

sounds good. i hope it is that easy it sounds. if you guys work as fast as you do atm, sh3 will be bugfree in a few month, because each new fix is easier to implement as the former one (you know the locations where to look and where to change the settings: in a few month, you lnow the whole code...)

greetz, Jaeger
Old 12-13-11, 04:01 PM   #2825
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

i've put it on my todo list - although - i have very little free time ATM.

@Leitender: Glad we got it sorted.
Old 12-14-11, 06:27 AM   #2826
Jaeger
Chief

@h.sie: take your time. most important is, you have to have the interest and motivation in what you do. if you dont, dont do it. do it later, time will come!
Old 12-17-11, 03:33 AM   #2827
smg13
Swabbie

Downloads: 185

Hello.
I am having some trouble with this mod. When I launch SH3 thru SH3 Commander, I can't get the new messages strings to work. For example, if I go underwater and wait for the CE to tell me "CE:20% oxygen", I get instead "CE: " and nothing else.

If I use the command to roll back SH3 Commander, and launch the game using SH3.exe without SH3 Commander (and whatever changes it makes), then I do get the new messages for oxygen, wolfpacks, ect.

I haven't tested more of the mod besides the lack of messages but I have the feeling everythign else in the mod stops working with SH3 Commander.

I also tried finding a solution already in the forum with no luck... am I the first one with this problem? Anyone has any suggestions? I am running SH3 with GWX 3.0 and, of course, SH3 Commander.

Thanks to the author of this mod, for it is wonderful! I hope I can get it running with SH3 Commander!

Thanks
smg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 10:38 AM   #2828
smg13
Swabbie

I am still hoping someone can help...

I did a bit of exploring and I noticed that once you start a career with SH3 Commander, inside the Sh3 Commander folder in the SH3 installation a BACKUP folder is created. Once you load up SH3 trhu SH3 Commander in backups the en_menu.txt in the data/Menu folder. So there it is, SH3 Commander is probably making a new en_menu.txt.

The question is now, how to make SH3 Commander use a en_menu.txt with the new messages strings? Any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 12-17-11, 04:09 PM   #2829
NitzerEbb
Nub

Downloads: 0

I took that from somewhere else (dont know from who it was) and made a little readme in my own directory. I will translate it. It solved my problem with the empty strings.

Quote:
WICHTIG! für SH3 Commander-Nutzer: VOR dem erneuten Spielstart die vorhandene "de_menu.txt"-Datei im Backup-Order des Commanders löschen (oder auch hier die "neue" reinkopieren), da Dieser sonst die "alte" wieder in Euer Spielverzeichnis kopiert.
Quote:
Important! To all who use SH3-Commander: Before you start the game, you should delete the "de_menu.txt" file in the backup directory from the commander (or you copy the "new" one and overwrite it), otherwise Commander will copy this backup file into your game directory.
NitzerEbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 11:57 PM   #2830
smg13
Swabbie

I fixed it!

Thank you for the advise. I will follow it from now on. I wonder why SH3 Commander is doing a backup like that?

I manage to make the new message strings work with SH3 Commander. I rolled back the changes in SH3 Com, then I went to JSGME and turned off all the mods one by one. I was back to vanilla SH3, and then added again each mod one by one in JSGME, starting with GWX3, and finishing with V16A3 and Stiebler Add On for V16A3. And now it is working ok.

I am sure somewhere along the line I did not rollback SH3 Commander before activating a new mod or some file got messed up. But now it is working.

Well, hope this might help anyone else that might find themselves in the same situation. And thanks to the mod makers! Without them SH3 is a horrible game. But with them it is the best subsim ever.
Old 12-19-11, 04:22 AM   #2831
Tigershark624
A-ganger

Downloads: 139

Since I added this mod I've noticed both my periscope views are elongated and stretched in ovals side-to-side. I tried searching the thread for this problem but came up empty. I'm using the MaGui 3.4 widescreen mod and tried the ds9widescreen fix, which didn't have any effect. Can anyone suggest how I can correct this? Thanks.
Tigershark624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 05:15 AM   #2832
h.sie
Admiral

Believe me, I did not program oval periscopes at all.

And since no-one except of you has this problem, this indicates that your problem is not related to my fixes. Re-try with a fresh install - surely mod salad.

I hope that in the future no one makes my fixes responsible for his non-working coffee-machine or heart pacemaker.
Old 12-19-11, 02:10 PM   #2833
Missing Name
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
I hope that in the future no one makes my fixes responsible for his non-working coffee-machine or heart pacemaker.
My dog isn't eating his regular food. I think this mod might have caused some conflicts.

Just kidding... I'm reinstalling the game again, and of course this is the first mod to go back on. Many thanks for this great kit!

Read Brag's stuff
Missing Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 04:05 AM   #2834
ryanwigginton
Weps

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Name View Post
My dog isn't eating his regular food. I think this mod might have caused some conflicts.
Old 12-23-11, 08:37 AM   #2835
h.sie
Admiral

Diesel Damages Alpha (for V16A3)

With this Fix you risk random diesel damages if you agonize your diesels with FLANK or FULL speed for longer time periods.

Definition: T50 is the time period which corresponds to a damage probability of 50%. T50 strongly depends on your diesels load.

1) Under normal conditions (no diesel damaged) we have:

FLANK speed : T50 = 2 hours
FULL speed: T50 = 14 hours
STANDARD speed: T50 = 100 days
(Lower speeds: T50 = endless.)

If a random damage occurs, the amount of the applied damage is randomly chosen between 10% and 60% (thus, a diesel will never be destroyed). In this case, the LI warns you to reduce your speed, because otherwise you risk a total loss of the diesel. As long as the diesel isn't completely repaired, the chance of successive damages dramatically rises, if you don't reduce your speed to one third or slow, as one can see below:

2) Damaged diesel condition:

FLANK speed : T50 = 30 min.
FULL speed: T50 = 45 min.
STANDARD speed: T50 = 3 hours
One third speed: T50 = 43 hours
Slow speed : T50 = endless

Under damaged diesel conditions, the amount of the added damage is randomly chosen between 30% and 100%, thus a diesel can completely be destroyed.

Fix can be found in JSGME ready format on my mediafire page (-> Hardcode fixes / Alpha testing) . It contains only a german de_menu.txt. English speakers should add a message like

4893=We must throttle the diesels, otherwise we risk a total loss!

to their en_menu.txt.

Note: I used new, effective assembler commands and I don't know whether they are accepted by older CPU's. So this fix in Alpha state can cause CTD in case the commands are unknown by your CPU. Please inform me about that.

Have a nice christmas time.

Last edited by h.sie; 12-23-11 at 10:12 AM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote