SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-06-11, 02:18 AM   #2791
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I don't know why, but ever ship is a valid target. I don't sink them because like to play like real life, but the choice is yours.
It's actually a sensible enough solution to the lack of the game's modeling of rules of engagement/prize laws etc., to let the player make the judgment. It certainly makes some sense as from very early in the war, any ship sailing under enemy convoy protection, or directly through in enemy's territorial waters, would be considered a target. So it would be bad to penalize the player for sinking a 'neutral' there. Rules of engagement constantly shifted early in the war, though, and rather than trying to model or generalize them, I think lurker just decided to let the player make those decisions. I stick to what I know about these rules and changes in them as best I can. Not the most elegant solution, sure, but it works given the game limitations.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 03:11 AM   #2792
Robin40
Chief

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Please, see:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=171443

Ducimus´ answer for the elimination of KiUB from Nine Delta Two mod, and recover stock GUI. It seems the same way for OM with OMEGU.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
thx buddy
but strangely it doesn't work

so finally I made up my mind to have OMEGU goodies without OMEGU

Environment
#1 Real Environment mod install

Uniforms,Medals
(1) RUIM v1.0 for SH4v1.5
(2) RUIM v1.0 for SH4v1.5 Enlisted Ranks add-on
(3) RUIM v1.0 for SH4v1.5 Awards add-on

Radio
Rel_SH4_Trans-Atlantic_Radio
Setup Trans-Atlantic Radio and BBC

Voices and Sound
Spaxs SH4 Uboat SPEECH FIX_V8
Paulsen_Soundmod_V2.0
Robin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:51 AM   #2793
Robin40
Chief

Downloads: 162
Default Crew members of U Boot VIIB

In OM crew members are 56

Documentation and SH3_GWX report 52 correctly IMHO

Why?
Robin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 10:19 AM   #2794
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin40 View Post
In OM crew members are 56

Documentation and SH3_GWX report 52 correctly IMHO

Why?
Only Lurker can answer that question, and he doesn't come around anymore. The Type II is even worse. he has 44 men aboard and in real life the IIa was 25 and the IId was 28.

I just dismiss the extra men and live with it.
Old 01-12-11, 05:13 PM   #2795
holymolys
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1

nvm problem solved thanks

Last edited by holymolys; 01-13-11 at 06:08 PM.
holymolys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 11:01 PM   #2796
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Waait.. So is Om basically turning SH4 into Sh3 with graphics and the good ole stuff??!?! Ive died and went to heaven.. One more thing though.. In Sh4 is the sinking of ships the same as Sh3 modded with GWX?? (Compartment or flooding)) and what other nifty mods can I add on to this wonderful mod to make the experience that much better?
Old 01-16-11, 11:52 PM   #2797
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

With OM the ships take a long time to sink, and you don't get a message until the ship actually goes down.

Not only are the graphics much better, but the crew management is a major improvement. The have three watch bills, and they rotate themselves.

When you click 'M' for a radio message you are no longer taken to the radio room. You are instead handed a clipboard with the message on it, and it appears on whatever screen you happen to be on.

There is minimal crew in the control room...until you click "Battle Stations". At that point all three watch shifts come on duty, the crew is visibly replaced by the senior members for each position, and extra guys appear turning wrenches and fixing things.

All ships have crew members walking around the decks.

There are not so many options as in SH3, and a lot of the little goodies (like the harbors and bridges from LSH3 and the up/down/rotate antenna and flag mods) aren't available. On the other hand, the lifeboats and waterstreams that have been modded into SH3 are stolen from SH4, where they are stock items. People are starting to mod SH4 a little more. A lot needs to be done, but overall it is much better.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 01-18-11 at 12:37 AM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 05:19 PM   #2798
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hmmm.. Other than the crew management though how is operation monsun?? Does it kind of conduct like original sh3?? Because if so I'm going to start in on sh4 heavily, and what are some other suggested mods that go well with it??? I love sh3 but golly I need some eye candy and my computer has trouble running sh3 at full yet sh4 does okay.
Old 01-17-11, 05:54 PM   #2799
CCIP
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
Hmmm.. Other than the crew management though how is operation monsun?? Does it kind of conduct like original sh3?? Because if so I'm going to start in on sh4 heavily, and what are some other suggested mods that go well with it??? I love sh3 but golly I need some eye candy and my computer has trouble running sh3 at full yet sh4 does okay.
It compares favourably with a lot of SHIII supermods actually. It lacks some of the finer details of GWX and SH4 is slightly hurt by the lack of an equivalent to SHIII Commander, but OM makes up for it with better graphics and focused, challening gameplay. It's a very no-frills mod but it does absolutely everything it promises to do well. The campaign in particular is second to none, with lurker's usual depth of research - the campaign traffic at sea is probably even better than any SHIII mod available. And you really don't need anything besides OM + OMEGU to get the full experience.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 01-17-11, 06:32 PM   #2800
Soviet_Sharpshooter
A-ganger

Downloads: 11

There is also a playable ship mod 'Admiral Scheer' which is absolutley awesome. All it needs now, is a Bismark :P
Old 01-17-11, 06:39 PM   #2801
CCIP
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet_Sharpshooter View Post
There is also a playable ship mod 'Admiral Scheer' which is absolutley awesome. All it needs now, is a Bismark :P
Ah yes. The Scheer mod is very solid. Not very realistic (due to AI responding to it like a sub, mostly), but tons of fun if you like big guns

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 01-18-11, 12:16 AM   #2802
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

But I mean does the campaign play like ShIII as in you get patrol grid xx go patrol and do a patrol and return ?? I didnt like SH4 initially after the i first mission was to just go drop a guy off in a port and head back to base. and what is Omegu??? and Can I get links to both OM and OMEGU please??
Old 01-18-11, 12:47 AM   #2803
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
But I mean does the campaign play like ShIII as in you get patrol grid xx go patrol and do a patrol and return ?? I didnt like SH4 initially after the i first mission was to just go drop a guy off in a port and head back to base.
People also complained about SH3 in the early days because they thought you were supposed to patrol for 24 hours and go home, when you're supposed to stay out until all your ammo or fuel is gone.

In SH4 you don't do an assigned mission and then go home. You radio in that your mission is accomplished, and they give you another assignment. In OM you are rarely ordered to drop off anything. The mission is almost always patrol within a given radius of a given point for 72 hours, and then radio in. The new assignment will either be a new patrol area or "Go where you think you're needed". Those aren't the exact words, but basically after you've fulfilled the assigned task you are given free reign to go where you want.

Quote:
and what is Omegu??? and Can I get links to both OM and OMEGU please??
OMEGU is an environment mod made to work with OM.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1097
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1403
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1477
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1336

Read the first post of this thread thoroughly. It will tell you the correct order for installing OM mods.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134922
Old 01-18-11, 03:50 AM   #2804
CCIP
Navy Seal

Quote:
But I mean does the campaign play like ShIII as in you get patrol grid xx go patrol and do a patrol and return ?? I didnt like SH4 initially after the i first mission was to just go drop a guy off in a port and head back to base.
Well, U-boats in the OM campaign do what U-boats really did. Which means patrol for tonnage. It's much like lurker's earlier work on the RSRDC campaign for American boats - really is focused on realistic tasking and traffic.

So to answer simply - you are assigned patrol areas. They're not like in SH3 in that they're a little wider (usually) than one grid sector and you can radio back after completing patrol orders for a new objective, like Steve says.

I played the entire OM campaign, and other than a few specialized events (like resupplying at specific times if you are playing a Monsun boat enroute to the Far East), I've never had an actual mission that was not "go to objective area, patrol x hours" in what I think ended up being about 30 patrols.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 01-19-11, 07:25 PM   #2805
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Just curious as to if there will be anymore work done on this awesome mod?

Would be a shame to see it die out.