SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-31-07, 02:24 AM   #2731
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

ok, after research i discovered that its inside of a .dat file, dunno witch one... i tryed to access the time travellers home page to download a .dat unpacker but the page is unavaliable, weird...

can someone help?
Old 12-31-07, 05:00 AM   #2732
Splot
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Since I can't pass the AA training: I found a text file named NavalAcademy. All the NA outcomes are stored there. If I edit it, will it change the outcomes in the game? If yes, what's max amount of points one can reach with all the planes downed? I'd like to put that value there. Yes, I feel like cheatin'.
Splot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-07, 05:17 AM   #2733
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<yourusername>\My Documents\SH3\data\cfg, and find the NavalAcademy.log file.
Change the content, to look like this:
Quote:
[PLAYER]
Name=<yourkaleunname>
Rank=10
Exam0=true
Result0=500.000000
Exam1=true
Result1=500.000000
Exam2=true
Result2=500.000000
Exam3=true
Result3=500.000000
Exam4=true
Result4=500.000000
This will give you a few excellent, one or two average results, etc.
Doesn't matter, because if you pass the academy this way, you will still get the max. of 1500 renown.

Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-07, 05:25 AM   #2734
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
witch one is that .tga of that lady's picture in the wall of the radioroom?

i want to change to another lady's picture, more sexy one...
You are looking for a file called druck_radio_7.tga....it's found in ...\data\Textures\TNormal\tex.
For the TypeXXI, it's hidden in some dat.file.

Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-07, 06:41 AM   #2735
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Topp
That's not so funny, as burning-floating-me-109, but also funny mistake.
...and that was answered don't save in base. Look how many planes were shot down by u-boots in the war??? Just answer that. Heck how many planes were shot down by the uber Bismarck and Yamato for that matter!!
joea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-07, 06:46 AM   #2736
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen

gwx dev team, awesome work all around, but the damage models stinks!

(with all do respect, obviously )
No respect at all that's very disrespectful.... I think the problem is behind the keyboard, crack open a book or two to read what actually happened in WWII.
joea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-07, 07:19 AM   #2737
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Topp
Racerboy said, that 2.03 version isn't compatible with GWX 2.0. And this is true. You should wait until he release 2.04, or how he will call it.))
If you have a problem with Racerboy's mod that you would like to bring to his attention do it on his thread. Thanks.

I SURVIVED THE FIRST EVER SUBSIM WEREWOLF HUNT - and... I actually won the game for the humans too!
Penelope_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-07, 07:24 AM   #2738
Erich Topp
A-ganger

Quote:
No respect at all that's very disrespectful....
I am not making gods for myself from ppl. If I asked a question, I wanna be answered. Are GWX members peoples? Yes, and nice people. But every man can do a mistake.

Quote:
...and that was answered don't save in base.
What about Small Freighter, separating from two shots with original shells.zon?

Quote:
think the problem is behind the keyboard, crack open a book or two to read what actually happened in WWII.
I think the problem starts in case when ppl don't want to think a little, just trusting their "holy cow". Making a cult from a single modification, blinded to see bugs and mistakes. That's where modding ends and narcissism starts.

Quote:
Heck how many planes were shot down by the uber Bismarck and Yamato for that matter!!
On previous page is said, how many planes were shot down by u-boats. Including 4-engine Liberator bombers. Can you shot down a liberator in GWX? Never. But you can shot down 20 or 30 swordfishes, if you're lucky to find them. Balance? Realism? No. You can't depend your arguments on "how many planes were shot in real life". If planes in real life had such uber-armor, as in GWX, there will be NO downed planes during all the war. It's became really ridiculous. What do you trying to argue? That GWX team is saint and nobody can say nothing about their mod? I will disappoint you: they are men, talented and clever, but men. And we can ask them a questions. Answer or not it's their decision, but in my modding days I always tried to answer users' questions. Because it's important to have a good public relations in community. Not "go to hell, we are the best-and-only, download-or-leave".
I read many books about submarine warfare in WWII, have more than 1500 war photos, blueprints of all boat types. I have shot in RL from few weapons, and seen the results of 7.62x54R and 12.7x108mm bullet hits in metal plate. 11mm armor on PT-76M tank, for example, considered enough to protect crew from 12.7 machinegun. But in RL it proved not very effective against AP rounds. But 30mm should be enough. Bullet in air stops very quickly, speed reduces to half after going 600-800 meters for large machinegun, and 400-500 for usual rifle caliber. But if I am scoring hits directly in unprotected side of Hurricane by 20mm gun IT MUST GET DOWN. In real life, in realistic game, anywhere. If it does not, it's bug. And serious bug, 'cause it gives your enemy abnormous advantage over you. He has another 20mm cannon, but were Hispano such good, to penetrate 33cm of steel, and C/38 such bad, that cannot hit 9mm side protection of pilot's cabin? Or maybe armored seat stopping bullets? Few hits in wing folding must drive plane integrity to 0.

It's all tricking around again "read books", "how many planes were shot down in RL?" instead of answering how to reduce armor. Planes were shot down. And not all of them were Swordfishes.

Quote:
If you have a problem with Racerboy's mod that you would like to bring to his attention do it on his thread. Thanks.
No, I don't have problems with Racerboy mod, 'cause I do not install incompatible mods together. Reading manuals and readmes, you know.
I have some notices about GWX 2.0 installation without any other mods. Installation was done on clean 1.4b pan-European SH3 license game. This notices consider about planes armoring, that is comparable with small merchant parameters. Planes should be able to down. As they were in real life.

And about "Respectful...". It's not very respectful to play tricks instead of giving direct answer "why and how to fix" too. I respect and like all work you do. But I don't respect your star-sick behaviour. This is not only me who asking this questions, many GWX users not from subsim interested in solving this problem. They are not blinded by "GWX cult" and take things logically, not through "amazing" and "brilliant" conditions. "Amazings" are good, but there is a deal.

Last edited by Erich Topp; 12-31-07 at 07:39 AM.
Erich Topp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-07, 07:34 AM   #2739
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45

Re: Erich Topp & Philipp_Thomsen

You know, you can't really come into this thread and start spouting about issues of realism when one of you is port raiding in a IXB and another is trying to shoot down anything that's airborne. It just never happened.

So you've had your 5 mins of bitching at things which have already been explained to you and saying you like GWX 2.0 after ranting about it won't cut any ice here. So fix it yourselves or give up on GWX 2.0, play stock with the supermod you built or leave for the pacific. Simple really.

Quite convenient too, that you both registered close together and most of your posts have been here. Axe to grind? Trolling? Alter egos?:hmm:

@ ALL

Do not feed the trolls.

Old 12-31-07, 07:50 AM   #2740
Erich Topp
A-ganger

Quote:
So you've had your 5 mins of bitching at things which have already been explained to you and saying you like GWX 2.0 after ranting about it won't cut any ice here. So fix it yourselves or give up on GWX 2.0, play stock with the supermod you built or leave for the pacific. Simple really.
It becomes really funny. No one answered me, can 20mm shell in real life shot the Hurricane, or not. Everyone is trying to argue, basing on thing "gwx is holy cow and damned realistic". Why? I always thought realism is when game is close to real life. In real life B-24 were shot down, in GWX it's impossible. In RL Hurricane were extremely vulnerable to fire 'cause of large amount of fuel onboard. In GWX they cannot be destroyed. I asked for a simple thing: methods of tweaking .zon files to tune damage model more tight. Not more. But you're still away from logic, just "go away", "GWX great!", "read books". Some ppl can read books and don't learn anything.

Quote:
Axe to grind? Trolling? Alter egos?
Let modders check IPs. It's a dirty trick, friend.

Quote:
you can't really come into this thread and start spouting about issues of realism when one of you is port raiding in a IXB and another is trying to shoot down anything that's airborne
Really? Is it forbidden by rules to discuss GWX bugs? Or maybe it's forbidden to try shot down a plane in GWX manual? It's forbidden with ingame params, you simply CUTTED OUT a part of game, made it unusable. Uber-deck gun in combination with Enhanced Effects Mod breaks ships from 88mm in few shots. Another improved realism feature?

Quote:
So fix it yourselves
Oh, I never was so naive to believe that great GWX team will hear my words. I just want to have scheme of .zon files for GWX airplanes. Not more. Explanation why parameters are like this, I already got. "Because GWX team think so". I understand. "Holy cow" is untouchable. Got it.

Two simple questions left. Answer please, yes or no:

1. Was 20mm C/38 in real life able to shot down a fighter or another plane?

2. Was in real life 7,7 lewis machinegun bullet penetrate a hull of submarine or destroy submarine in 5 mins?

Without sending us to books, tricking about "uninstall and leave", trolls hunting, and other things you make to avoid answers.
Old 12-31-07, 07:55 AM   #2741
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Sigh
Look Erich
Tis like this
If all the damage models for aircraft made them easy to shoot down it would be no threat and no point having them would it ?
Why dive when you know you can shoot down every aircraft ? - totally unrealistic by any stretch
I have no doubt the ubootwaffe had some excellant flak gunners and they didnt shoot everything they aimed at
You have to look at the game limitations and what can be achieved around it
If no aircraft is a threat then sailing Biscay in 43 on is a simple job which as you should know it wasnt
If you could take as many aircraft rounds as you like without any damage then again the aircraft would be a waste of time
Its all about compromise and making the experience as historical\real as can be
Sure not historical to see an aircraft take so many hits and survive
Not historical to shoot down masses of air units either
Balance

Just cos you dont like something doesnt mean someone else wont
GWX is freeware and appeals to a wide audience
You cant please everyone

Those that dont like certain things mod it
The tools are out there

And as for the ship splitting with 2 shells
Lucky
Of course it could split apart on its own as some of the first Liberties did
Or fell apart in rough seas

Quote:
What do you trying to argue? That GWX team is saint and nobody can say nothing about their mod? I will disappoint you: they are men, talented and clever, but men
So are you
If you dont agree with something changeit

Quote:
Answer or not it's their decision, but in my modding days I always tried to answer users' questions. Because it's important to have a good public relations in community. Not "go to hell, we are the best-and-only, download-or-leave".
Ummm we have answered,patiently,many times
I dont recall anyone telling you to go to hell or we are the best
Tis simple as I expressed earlier
If you dont like it dont play it
OR ( even better ) mod it to your own needs :hmm:

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-07, 08:03 AM   #2742
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

Alright look here! All you've done so far is complain, we get it... you are unhappy with the ability to shoot stuff down. If you want to blast things out of the sky with near impunity then might I suggest Space Invaders

Can a 20mm gun shoot down a hurricane? yes it could in ideal circumstances, however not everything is ideal. When you fight a plane, you gamble... will I, wont I? that was real life, that is GWX. All factors pertaining to the fighting of planes must be considered ie. sea state, gunner experience, speed of plane etc... its much easier to shoot down a swordfish than a hurrican for instance, there are lots of factors.

Quote:
Really? Is it forbidden by rules to discuss GWX bugs? Or maybe it's forbidden to try shot down a plane by GWX manual? It's forbidden ingame, you simply CUT OUT a part of game, made it unusable. Uber-deck gun in combination with Enhanced Effects Mod breaks ships from 88mm in few shots. Another realism feature?
It is forbidden to discuss "bugs" that don't exist. If you happen to put a shell into the ships fuel bunker, its going to go up in smoke! And with a bang.

since the enahnced effects mod is bugging you so clearly, turn it off... its optional, nobody is forcing you to use it. However that is all it is, effects. Its not making your deck gun more powerful.

Quote:
Oh, I never were so naive to believe great GWX team will hear my words.
We did hear your words, most of it was drivel though. Particularly the part where you said about Pressure Hulls being resistant to armour piercing bullets!!

Quote:
I just want to have scheme of .zon files for GWX airplanes. Not more.
If you wanted that, why not just ask for it outright instead of dancing round all the bushes saying "this is wrong and thats wrong.. and I dont like that"

Quote:
"Because GWX team think so".
This should read... "Because GWX team think so, based on hours upon hours of research into the field."

I SURVIVED THE FIRST EVER SUBSIM WEREWOLF HUNT - and... I actually won the game for the humans too!
Old 12-31-07, 08:11 AM   #2743
Erich Topp
A-ganger

Quote:
If all the damage models for aircraft made them easy to shoot down
It makes Swordfishes to shot easy. It does not allow to shot Hurricane at all. I am not speaking about "easy", I am speaking about ABILITY to shot it down. Ability.

[quote]Why dive when you know you can shoot down every aircraft ? - totally unrealistic by any stretch[quote]

'cause losing hull integrity, overall damage and crew losses do not worth 20 renown points for fighter.

Quote:
You have to look at the game limitations and what can be achieved around it
I looked. It allows to create hard-to-shot, but still vulnerable plane insted of making uberplanes. And it allows to create normal deck gun shells, not devastating small merchants .

Quote:
If you could take as many aircraft rounds as you like without any damage then again the aircraft would be a waste of time
Not, it will be not. 'cause after all you will be flooded, or all gunners will be killed, if you're playing with flak guns too much. And you forgeting about bombs. It's not a way to make game easier, it's a way to make it realistic. Player should be able to decide, stay on surface and lose a dozen of men, receiving many damage, or crash dive. Now he has no choice.

Quote:
GWX is freeware and appeals to a wide audience
You cant please everyone
Directly. But nobody asking them to fix. Anyway this bugs are mentioned on sukhoi.ru forums too. If it becames a problem for many users... maybe something is wrong?

Quote:
And as for the ship splitting with 2 shells
Lucky
Of course it could split apart on its own as some of the first Liberties did
Or fell apart in rough seas
It's in training artillery mission. Aim below waterline in very first small merchant (static one), closer to bow. It will split after 2 shots with Enhanced effects mod, and after 3 shots in original GWX.

Quote:
OR
Quote:
( even better ) mod it to your own needs
How? And which files contain airplanes damage model? And which variables inside should be changed?

Quote:
When you fight a plane, you gamble...
No, I dont. In GWX I KNOW that he will kill me, and I can do nothing with him. Nothing. Not matter how skilled I am in flak-shooting. No matter how many times I hit him. He is uberplane.

Quote:
its much easier to shoot down a swordfish than a hurrican for instance
Much easier, but not for 5-6 hits for Swordfish to go down, and 100 hits for Hurricane to fly away. Misbalance?

Quote:
It is forbidden to discuss "bugs" that don't exist.
Anyone can run a game with this great mod and check on yourself. Hurricanes are not able to shot down with 20mm, nevermind how much hits they scored, and small merchants always split from deck gun, if you're firing below waterline. Torpedoes split them much more rare.

Quote:
If you wanted that, why not just ask for it outright instead of dancing round all the bushes saying "this is wrong and thats wrong.. and I dont like that"
I asked many times, but people prefer to say strange things about realism and reading books, not to really help.

Quote:
Because GWX team think so, based on hours upon hours of research into the field."
Nice research. I advice you to turn your face to normal sources. For example, "Ballistic tables", which shows an energy of shell after proper distances. Or blueprints and characteristics of WWII planes. A6M Zero fighter wasn't armored at all. Is it also uber in GWX?))

Quote:
If you happen to put a shell into the ships fuel bunker, its going to go up in smoke!
No, it simply breaks on two without any explosion.

PS: Ok, it looks like people are solving aircraft problem on other forums on themselves. Real modding for all, not separating on gods and mortals.
Thanks all of you for answering. I learned a lot about my favourite modding team and subsim community during this discussion. Good luck, kaleuns. Happy New Year.

Last edited by Erich Topp; 12-31-07 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-31-07, 09:01 AM   #2744
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

Just had a try of this myself in the Naval Artillery Exercise First ship broke in two and sank. Took 30 shells though to do it.

This next ship, also took 30 shells to sink. But he sank and didn't break in two.

This last one went up with a major pow as you can see.

But did not split in two.

The last one, took 19 shells, I deliberately aimed for the fuel bunker manually on this one and up he went with a bang.

I will do the tests a second time to be sure though. However, on face value, looks to me like there is nothing at all wrong with the deck gun.

Old 12-31-07, 09:11 AM   #2745
Von Manteuffel
Commander

Downloads: 411

This is deja vu (all over again).

The answer is very simple. The GWX team had "realism" as a key objective. Total realism is impossible given the confines of a computer-game, but, with compromises, they made an excellent fist of it.

Now to the main point - again - No one forces anyone to release a mod, be it large, or small. They do so because they've done it; they enjoy playing it and they believe that other people might derive enjoyment from it. In the same way, no-one forces anyone else to downlaod and use a mod. It's everyone's choice.

BUT if you do downlaod, install and play a mod you have to understand that what you have is someone else's vision of the game and it will be very rarely that a mod - especially a large mod like GWX - will entirely suit your individual gaming needs, likes and dislikes.

If it leaves you very dissatisfied - uninstall it. If there are a few things you'd like to have been done differently - compromise and live with the bits you don't quite like, or fix them yourself. How? Either by asking politely for advice from the modders, or in the same way that I imagine the GWX team started out - from first principles and trial and error.

Once a mod has been released, no-one has a right to demand anything of a modder, especially when what is being demanded may well conflict with their basic objectives and vision. After release, apart from a bit of trouble-shooting and patient explanation - which is always optonal on their part - the modders' job is done.

Essentially, they built what they wanted to build and shared it with everyone else. If what they built doesn't suit you - don't use it; or change it to suit what you want out of the game yourself. 'S easy!
Von Manteuffel is offline   Reply With Quote