SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-17, 11:58 PM   #2716
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

That's fair, and for a small carrier fleet it's not really worth it I guess. I don't think we've used nuclear reactors for anything other than submarines in our fleet.

Anyway, change of subject slightly, to Best Korea™ and what's shaping up to be quite the ding-dong after Jong-Uns brother got a face full of VX. So Malaysia expelled the ambassador for the DPRK on Monday, and the DPRK decided that it would reply in kind...only to find out that the Malaysian ambassador had already left, so not to be outdone it banned all Malaysians from leaving Best Korea (around 7-9 in total at their embassy in Pyongyang), and now Malaysia has returned the favour by banning North Korean embassy staff and officials from leaving Malaysia (much to their relief no doubt).
This could turn out to be The Donalds first big crisis, if he can get away from Breitbart long enough to notice that it's happening...
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 08:06 AM   #2717
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
This could turn out to be The Donalds first big crisis, if he can get away from Breitbart long enough to notice that it's happening...
So snarky you are.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 09:25 AM   #2718
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
That's fair, and for a small carrier fleet it's not really worth it I guess. I don't think we've used nuclear reactors for anything other than submarines in our fleet.

Anyway, change of subject slightly, to Best Korea™ and what's shaping up to be quite the ding-dong after Jong-Uns brother got a face full of VX. So Malaysia expelled the ambassador for the DPRK on Monday, and the DPRK decided that it would reply in kind...only to find out that the Malaysian ambassador had already left, so not to be outdone it banned all Malaysians from leaving Best Korea (around 7-9 in total at their embassy in Pyongyang), and now Malaysia has returned the favour by banning North Korean embassy staff and officials from leaving Malaysia (much to their relief no doubt).
I gotta ask.... Unless North Korea starts throwing missiles around willy nilly, Why would it be a crisis that the U.S. needs to be involved in?
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 10:04 AM   #2719
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Wasn't the topic more or less this?

Instead the pages are filling with ot material about a better museum ship...
Old 03-07-17, 11:44 AM   #2720
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
I gotta ask.... Unless North Korea starts throwing missiles around willy nilly, Why would it be a crisis that the U.S. needs to be involved in?
Like you say, depends on whether the DPRK starts doing something more stupid than it's doing right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Wasn't the topic more or less this?

Instead the pages are filling with ot material about a better museum ship...
Well, I didn't think there was much point in starting a new thread about Pyongyang, and with the Kuznetsov, well he was involved in Syrian ops which gives it a bit of a link to Terrorism.
I just can't be arsed with starting 'The All Purpose Russian Thread' or 'The All Purpose North Korean Thread' so I throw them in here.
Besides, it's been a while since someone has Allahu-Ackbared themselves in a western nation so news has been slow, I'm sure that'll change soon though, but in the meantime we can content ourselves with Kims garbage and Russias refits.
Old 03-07-17, 11:46 AM   #2721
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
US starts deploying advanced anti-missile system THAAD in South Korea after defiant North's latest test.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang repeated China's resolute opposition to THAAD, saying the country would take the steps necessary to protect its security interests.

He said: “The consequences of this are on the shoulders of the United States and South Korea. We again strongly urge the relevant sides to stop the deployment process and not keep going down the wrong path.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...korea-defiant/

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 11:49 AM   #2722
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Yeah, it's a bit like the plan to put that anti-missile radar system in Poland, and how that made Moscow just so happy.
Old 03-07-17, 12:01 PM   #2723
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Yeah, it's a bit like the plan to put that anti-missile radar system in Poland, and how that made Moscow just so happy.
Yea, PRC is unhappy. I mean US is developing a consistent first strike capability between the modernisation of nuclear arsenal, ABM and cyber, smaller nuclear powers such as PRC should be even more concerned than established ones.

Last edited by ikalugin; 03-07-17 at 12:17 PM.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 12:14 PM   #2724
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Besides, it's been a while since someone has Allahu-Ackbared themselves in a western nation
"A man wielding a machete charges guests at the Louvre while shouting 'Allah Akbar!'".
Paris, 3 February 2017.
(no fatalities, so not worth reporting much in this pc-world I assume.)
Old 03-07-17, 02:15 PM   #2725
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
"A man wielding a machete charges guests at the Louvre while shouting 'Allah Akbar!'".
Paris, 3 February 2017.
(no fatalities, so not worth reporting much in this pc-world I assume.)
And you didn't post about this then because....?
Old 03-07-17, 02:31 PM   #2726
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Yea, PRC is unhappy. I mean US is developing a consistent first strike capability between the modernisation of nuclear arsenal, ABM and cyber, smaller nuclear powers such as PRC should be even more concerned than established ones.
What do you define as a 'First strike capability' though? If you mean the ability to launch an attack and then defeat the retaliatory attack then yes, that is a potential scenario for China that the US is developing with its advancing ABM system. If you mean a 'Bolt out of the blue' scenario then that's not so much because China is deploying the Changcheng system which is similar to the Oko system I imagine, or at least somewhere between Oko and EKS. So they'll pick up the IR plume from any land based launches, and indeed sea based ones if the satellite has a wide enough coverage.
The PRC is at a definite disadvantage because of its small SSBN fleet, so retaliatory options would be primarily land based, which THAAD is designed to counter. However, the PRC isn't toothless, it also has ABM systems, let's not forget that it took out an old satellite a few years back, so it has the technology, even though it's fairly early in design, and it has enough missiles that it could, in theory, saturate the US ABM system, just like the Soviet ASM doctrine was to saturate the AEGIS defence with enough missiles that one or two would get through, and it only takes one or two to hit their targets to cause millions of fatalities. Let's not forget, there are no winners, even if the US manages to hit every Chinese population center over 100,000 people, if it loses most of the western seaboard in return then it's a pyrrhic victory at best (although more than a few Americans may celebrate the destruction of California...in fact, I would put money on some pastor in the Mid-West drawing similarities with Sodom and Gomorrah).
and would be a massive drain on the US economy, if not the death knell to it. Although since China would at this point have gone back to warring tribes then it could hardly claim to be the victor in the fight. Of course, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, maybe Vietnam and the Phillipines would also have suffered from the collateral, because if the PRC is going down you can bet that it'll take all of its surrounding opponents down with it, especially Japan. Meanwhile North Korea will probably be in the process of fighting the South because the destruction of China means that the DPRK is next on the target list. The DPRK will lose this fight, but the resulting cost to the South Korean economy and society, especially if a Chinese warhead happens to find its way into Seoul, would basically knock it out for a generation.

Europe though, providing that some nations don't take the opportunity of the US being distracted to settle some old scores, would probably come out of this relatively intact, but the economy of most economically advanced nations would be in the dustbin.
Old 03-07-17, 02:58 PM   #2727
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
And you didn't post about this then because....?
...because I am not responsible for posting Muslim terror attacks? I mean, if you pay me for it, I'd consider it. We're talking a full time job here after all.

More important is why you seem to ignore attacks like that and claim that " nothing happened recently.
Before that attack, there was a similar one in Germany this year already.
Reminds me of your post where you claimed no Muslims are roaming the streets of London decapitation people - when exactly that happened and was attempted multiple times.
I also don't see why only attacks in Europe seem to count. It is the all purpose terrorism thread - nothing suggests it's only about Europe, or the west.

And instead of actual terror related things, like the 140+ attacks in Allah's name in the past 30 days(!), people are armchair general'ing about the Kuznetsov...
Old 03-07-17, 03:01 PM   #2728
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
...because I am not responsible for posting Muslim terror attacks? I mean, if you pay me for it, I'd consider it. We're talking a full time job here after all.

More important is why you seem to ignore attacks like that and claim that " nothing happened recently.
Before that attack, there was a similar one in Germany this year already.
Reminds me of your post where you claimed no Muslims are roaming the streets of London decapitation people - when exactly that happened and was attempted multiple times.
I also don't see why only attacks in Europe seem to count. It is the all purpose terrorism thread - nothing suggests it's only about Europe, or the west.

And instead of actual terror related things, like the 140+ attacks in Allah's name in the past 30 days(!), people are armchair general'ing about the Kuznetsov...
Well, if you feel that emotive about it then I expect that you'll keep us all up to date on every single Muslim transgression within Europe, won't you?
Don't forget to make sure it's not 'fake news'.
Old 03-07-17, 03:12 PM   #2729
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

So you do not care about the fact that Muslim terror attacks cost human lives daily?
Indeed it provokes emotions for me.
See a shrink if it leaves you cold.

Also, Skybird did report it - and you as well - lol.
Old 03-07-17, 03:23 PM   #2730
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
So you do not care about the fact that Muslim terror attacks cost human lives daily?
Indeed it provokes emotions for me.
See a shrink if it leaves you cold.

Also, Skybird did report it - and you as well - lol.
It bothers me as much as the people who die daily from cancer, car accidents, heart attacks and all the other ways that kill millions more people a year than terrorism does.

Well, there you go then, we reported it and we moved on to talk about other things. It didn't really stick in my mind because it was a small, isolated incident, the sort of thing that happens all over the world but for a multitude of reasons, sometimes related to Islam, and sometimes not.
I mean, look, if it upsets you so much that we don't necessarily stay on topic in this thread then you can start up an 'All Purpose Russia' thread, and an 'All Purpose China' thread, and an 'All Purpose DPRK' thread, and an 'All Purpose Syrian' thread if you like.

Tags
terrorism