SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-20, 05:45 AM   #2701
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Boris Johnson has said he owes his life to the NHS staff treating him for coronavirus.

In a statement released by No 10, the prime minister, 55, thanked medics at St Thomas' Hospital in London, where he continues to recover after spending three nights in intensive care.

It comes as UK deaths from the virus are expected to pass 10,000 on Sunday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52258980

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 06:29 AM   #2702
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Cheesy documentary by Russian MoD about their network of small hospitals for COVID-19.

It is interesting to see how they are building wards with individual sealed rooms with airlocks.

They are also promoting medical masks for protecting others.
Old 04-12-20, 06:49 AM   #2703
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
It is interesting to see how they are building wards with individual sealed rooms with airlocks.

After watching that I'm predicting a huge surge in sales of mini-split air conditioner as opposed to central AC. However, mini-splits will have to alter their systems to handle being able to use better and disposable filters. Right now they use a filter that's hardly a filter the same as window units do. The outdoor unit fan blades on mini splits should be upgraded to aluminum from plastic as well, or at least be painted to protect against the sun.
Old 04-12-20, 06:59 AM   #2704
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Sorry Vienna it wasn't meant to be a serious poke at Newsome or California.

When travel from China was restricted this may have helped reduce California's exposure to COVID. But nobody can be really sure about that as some have suggested it may have been in California as early as December of last year. Long before anyone even became aware how to spell COVID-19 people were blaming it on a more serious common flu season https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...ew/ar-BB12umOy

Los Angles Times reported 24 March California is far behind New York in testing and its a "big Problem" too. So California's current numbers may not be fully known yet. Though unlike New York, according to current projections found at http://www.healthdata.org/ California appears to be very well prepared to handle it.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 04-12-20 at 08:39 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 08:36 AM   #2705
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Hey, good news from Maryland. The FOUR confirmed cases in my county have recovered and we now have ZERO active cases.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 08:53 AM   #2706
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Sorry Vienna it wasn't meant to be a serious poke at Newsome or California.

When travel from China was restricted this may have helped reduce California's exposure to COVID. According to information gathered by https://nextstrain.org/ most infections in New York arrived from Europe. Those borders didn't close until over a month later. By then it was too late.

Los Angles Times reported 24 March California is far behind New York in testing and its a "big Problem" too. So California's current numbers may not be fully known yet. Unlike New York, California didn't underestimate the seriousness of the situation and according to current projections found at http://www.healthdata.org/ appears to be very well prepared to handle it.

I really didn't take your comment as "a serious poke" at all; I just thought perhaps a bit of background might help explain why CA seems to have been on the better end of the Covid-19 crisis, even though with this pandemic, there really isn't much of a 'better end'...

The restrictions against travel from China may have helped, but there was already a very large number of Chinese nationals already in CA at that time; LA gets a huge amount of the Chinese tourist trade; living in Hollywood, I've seen a really big upswing in Chinese tourism over the past several years, owing, in part, to the rising Chinese standard of living and more disposable income; they are all over the place here in Hollywood and in Beverly Hills; I'm going to guess San Francisco is equally overrun; I'm not sure if it is still true, but SF has been said to have the largest immigrant Chinese population of any city outside of Asia; here in SoCal, the San Gabriel Valley has a huge Asian population, heavily Chinese; I do know LA has the largest Korean immigrant population outside of Asia and, in the early days of the pandemic, there was a big scare in the Korea Town community when news came out of two or three KAL crew members tested positive for the virus. Given all that, it wouldn't have been a surprise if there was a really big outbreak in SoCal or in CA as a whole...

No one was as surprised as I about how really well the whole process has been handled here in LA; usually there is a roil of political, racial, ethnic and any other factional bickering one can think of when there is a pie-cutting of who gets what; instead, an unusual amount of cooperation and deference is being exhibited and the various factions have dialed way, way back on the usual rhetoric and squabbling; I don't how long it will last, but it a very pleasant change for the time being...

Re testing: it has been reported a couple of weeks ago that testing numbers had doubled, a time shortly after the Times reportage you cited; Newsom very publicly took responsibility for the problems with testing at that time, and, from what I've seen on the local news here in SoCal, testing has really stepped up and is more widely available; I think a big factor in the testing problems has been the lack of labs to process the tests; like a lot of other aspects of modern society, a few, very big, labs have been doing almost of the test processing, in a situation akin to how cell phone service is down to just a very few companies; one test processor, Quest Diagnostics, has a huge share of the market and is the lab of choice for pretty much all of the medical institutions who would be dealing with the Covid-19 testing; Labs like Quest have, for man, many years, maintained there capacities at levels really designed to deal with only minor fluctuations in demand and had/have no scalability with which to deal with such a drastic surge in demand; likewise the smaller labs make do with 'just enough to get by' as a business philosophy meaning they really don't have contingency plans or facilities or manpower to deal with anything other than minor fluctuations in demand; basically, you can test all you want, but there isn't a sufficient lab infrastructure to process all those tests, hence severe backlogs, long delays in test results, etc. ...

California didn't underestimate the threat at all and Washington State was even more on the ball than CA in rapid response. While the Federal response has been hampered by a reluctance to act proactively and decisively, states like WA, CA, and NY, upon seeing the threat, moved on their own to take action, much to the annoyance of the White House; but time and circumstance has proven what were once deemed as 'overreaction', or ''alarmist', or 'political grandstanding' by those states is now seen as what should have been done from the very beginning; very serious crises require very serious and proactive response...

Today it was announced by LA Mayor Garcetti there will be an extension of the stay home orders, and other attendant orders, until 15 May,so down here were looking at a bit over month more of the lock down, but, if the reports out of South Korea and elsewhere of cases of reinfection of patients who had been 'cured' of the virus hold true, it is possible the lock downs may be here for a long while...

Here is an article from 10 Apr addressing the testing problems and going into more detail about the labs, etc. noted above:

Why America is still failing on coronavirus testing --

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/10/212142...ial-distancing

<O>
Old 04-12-20, 09:10 AM   #2707
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Very interesting article:

Quote:
Sewage at a major treatment facility in Massachusetts showed there are likely hundreds more people with coronavirus in the area than officials thought, researchers say.

There were about 450 confirmed coronavirus cases in the area of the treatment facility, but researchers estimated that the number of people actually infected with coronavirus is between 2,300 and 115,000, Newsweek reported. But Eric Alm, one of the study’s authors, emphasized that while they can detect the virus in urine and feces, people are not at risk of getting the disease through sewage, Newsweek reported.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...241908771.html
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 09:15 AM   #2708
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Good reporting vienna about California see your brain is okay, except for Trump of course

https://www.usnews.com/news/national...lare-disasters

Quote:
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy issued the executive order, which will go into effect Monday at 8 p.m. Residents are already required to wear masks in grocery stores.
Gov Phil Murphy really had something interesting to say about why we should stay inside and wear mask when we go out for essentials.

Quote:
"Some may view this as another inconvenience," Murphy said Saturday. "But you know what would be really inconvenient is if you ended up in hospital with COVID-19 or if you infected a family member. We accept this is inconvenient."
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 09:20 AM   #2709
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has left hospital after being treated for coronavirus, but will not immediately return to work, Downing Street says.

Mr Johnson, 55, was taken to St Thomas' hospital, in London, on Sunday - 10 days after testing positive for the virus.

He had three nights in intensive care before returning to a ward on Thursday.

Downing Street said the PM would continue his recovery at his country residence, Chequers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52262012

Old 04-12-20, 09:23 AM   #2710
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-12-20, 09:52 AM   #2711
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The number of people who have died in hospital with coronavirus in the UK passes 10,000, after a daily rise of 737

Old 04-12-20, 09:55 AM   #2712
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Good reporting vienna about California see your brain is okay, except for Trump of course

I have my moments...

However, should I develop any empathy for Trump, or God forbid, an urge to vote for him, well, I would view that as a sign the neurons have failed fatally; I believe that would be an ultimate case of "Trump Derangement"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post

Gov Phil Murphy really had something interesting to say about why we should stay inside and wear mask when we go out for essentials.

As I mentioned before, the City of LA is now requiring all essential businesses to adopt a policy of having all their employees wear face masks and likewise allowing those businesses to reuse to admit or serve any customers not wearing masks; the problem seen here in LA is there are virtually none of the usual outlets for masks, pharmacies, hardware stores, etc., with stocks of the masks since almost all available stocks have been routed to the hospitals, first responders, and other entities in dire need of the protection; when I went o pick up a prescription a couple of days ago, I asked the pharmacists if they had any masks available and she said they hadn't had any for sale in well over a week and noted that some places, like Home Depot hardware stores were automatically delivering their stocks to hospitals just as soon as new shipments arrived. I had to go the a Walmart Superstore last Thursday wearing a homemade mask, but when I was walking through the parking lot from the bus stop, there was a young guy selling new masks from a bag he was carrying, so I bought two of the masks, one to wear and one as a spare, just in case...

One additional sight being seen ore often here in SoCal is the installation of plexiglass shields at checkout counters to separate the customers from the clerks; its kind of like a scaled down version of the glass teller windows you'd see at the bank or a standalone version of a theater ticket window; the effect can be sometimes humorous: communications between the customers and the clerks is difficult when both are trying to talk to each other muffled by cloth masks and filtered through the plexiglass shield; mime may have found a way to make a big comeback...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 04-12-20 at 10:03 AM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 10:10 AM   #2713
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
I asked the pharmacists if they had any masks available and she said they hadn't had any for sale in well over a week and noted that some places, like Home Depot hardware stores were automatically delivering their stocks to hospitals just as soon as new shipments arrived. I had to go the a Walmart Superstore last Thursday wearing a homemade mask, but when I was walking through the parking lot from the bus stop, there was a young guy selling new masks from a bag he was carrying, so I bought two of the masks, one to wear and one as a spare, just in case...

<O>
Good for you that you bought two more mask I hear the cloth ones don't last very long and that the only mask worth wearing is the N95 mask, but of course they are not available anywhere ... Uncle Sam says they are working on having 39 million N95 mask very soon.

Sounds like at least part of America will continue to wear protective gear for a long time

I ordered ten (10) cloth masks from newegg two weeks ago for only $10, but they haven't even been shipped yet. Probably some far away country, uh?

I just checked and they have been shipped:

Shipped
4/11/2020 10:17 PM
SHENZHEN, CHINA
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 10:11 AM   #2714
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The hoarders are gathering again. this time they look not for toilet paper, but - condoms.

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/wor...ortage-strikes
Old 04-12-20, 11:15 AM   #2715
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ No prizes for guessing what they'll be up to during lock down then

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan