SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-17-07, 05:19 PM   #2536
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Thanks for the SH3 and 1.04b Input

As usual you guys were right on the mark. I failed to note that the SH3 Uninstall does not delete all files and directories. I went back and uninstalled, deleted all SH3 directories, cleaned out the registry (I highly recommend RegCure for that task), and reinstalled the baseline. The 1.04b patch then worked perfectly, as did the GWX 2.0 install. I am now running my first patrol out of Wilhelmshaven (in between sessions for a Project Management Best Practices online class), and loving it (the patrol, that is).

Many thanks again for the timely and accurate response you consistently provide. This is the best forum I have ever seen, and certainly the most interesting.

We are part of a special community, and if you will pardon the political gaffe:

Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy New Year! Good Hunting, mates!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 05:37 PM   #2537
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome aboard Kaleuns Shultz, Christoff and torpedobait

I'm pleased to hear your enjoying the mod.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 05:42 PM   #2538
Gryffon300
Engineer

Downloads: 58
When & how to upgrade?

I've sort of asked this question elsewhere (on the SH III newbie Mods string - Neonsamurai, I think), but still looking for perspective.
Familiar with SH I & SH II, but have just installed SH III. (Aust DVD V 1.4) Downloaded & installed EMEA 1.4b (still unclear whether this was necessary/wise). Then downloaded & installed v 1.45 (bunch of good patches/mods).
Still haven't put to sea yet. Wondering if I should go on a bunch of shake-down cruises as is or update this great-sounding new super-mod first.
Noticed a little mod that allows multiple files for multiple installs (to enable different supermods to be run, saving multiple histories). Don't want to get bogged down in computer stuff ups when I should be into game play.
Any guidance on waypoints from brand new install to game play Valhalla much appreciated.
Thanks.
Gryffon300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 05:51 PM   #2539
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffon300
I've sort of asked this question elsewhere (on the SH III newbie Mods string - Neonsamurai, I think), but still looking for perspective.
Familiar with SH I & SH II, but have just installed SH III. (Aust DVD V 1.4) Downloaded & installed EMEA 1.4b (still unclear whether this was necessary/wise). Then downloaded & installed v 1.45 (bunch of good patches/mods).
Still haven't put to sea yet. Wondering if I should go on a bunch of shake-down cruises as is or update this great-sounding new super-mod first.
Noticed a little mod that allows multiple files for multiple installs (to enable different supermods to be run, saving multiple histories). Don't want to get bogged down in computer stuff ups when I should be into game play.
Any guidance on waypoints from brand new install to game play Valhalla much appreciated.
Thanks.
I don't really see the benefit, yet, of a multi install if you're not sure of which super mod to go for. After you've got a clean install back that up and try a mod; if it's not for you you'd probably be best wiping the whole works and then bringing forward the back up you made to try the next super mod.

I started with SH3 a month ago with GWX 1.03 and it's been a great experience. I don't regret not trying the stock game at all. One particular benefit of GWX is the masses of missions you get. My current thinking is I'm going to work through them before starting another career, to try and maximise the flexibility of different tactics I'll need. Beside that it'll provide a varied game experience. On top of that you get the massive game world which stock doesn't provide.

Hope I've helped a little, and you enjoy SH3 as much as I have.
Old 12-17-07, 11:03 PM   #2540
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25
Default Enjoying GWX 2.0

Well I want to thank the team for putting out a great mod. I've want to show off some of the great scenery in the game. Some have seen this and others haven't.
I love this game.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/U997gwx2.jpg
I decided to take a quick peak on my first run. I can't help admiring the Graff Zeppelin.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/U996gwx2.jpg
Very nice detail to the Kiel harbour. Plenty of eye candy to around for many patrols.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/U995gwx2.jpg
What do you imagine a commander of a U-boat thought when he saw a site like this.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/U994gwx2.jpg
Not this time boys. I can smell ya.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/U993gwx2.jpg
Trying to figure what happened here?

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/U992gwx2.jpg
Ready to inspect the local merchant ship for contraban.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...er/U99gwx2.jpg
Never enough eye candy

Great work GWX team.
Old 12-17-07, 11:18 PM   #2541
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 117

Nice pics Wolfhunter.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 02:12 AM   #2542
mic1184
Mate

Downloads: 3

hey guys,

is there some reported incompatibility of GWX 2.0 with the german version of SH3? since i have a new computer with no previous SH3 installation, i did a fresh install (of the german version of sh3), patched to 1.4b and then installed GWX 2.0. the md5 hashes are all correct for the gwx installation files.

when i start the game, the intros work and the game loading screen shows up and loads, all like normal. but when its done and the main menu should be showing up, i get a black screen with only the mouse cursor leaving a trail. on hitting escape i only see grey "ja" and "nein", like in the exiting dialog. but cant do anything more.

i uninstalled again and tried the same with GWX 1.3 (fresh install, 1.4b patch, GWX 1.3 install) and it works like a charm. so it cant be (just) the new computer.

there is no career data in "my documents" so that cant be the problem either.

anyone knows what that could be?
Old 12-18-07, 02:54 AM   #2543
mikaelanderlund
Captain

Downloads: 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbass
I have a little issue with GWX 2.0. I've started in 39 with an IXB and when i'm on the bridge or in free view, there is flashing triangular or hexigonal figures which frequently flash on and off the screen in the lower sky near the water. What causes that? and is there anything I can do about it?

I did a reinstall once and the same is still occuring by the way. Game issue or Video driver/settings issue?
Tis a graphics card issue Fred.....upgrade the drivers.......before considering a card upgrade
hmm, I have the latest driver from nvida and a very good card still I have small black flashing dots when runing the GWX with 16km mod. I have tried different old drivers. Without that mod the game works fine .

Mikael
mikaelanderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 04:26 AM   #2544
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

How good is 'very good' ? What card is it ? :hmm:

The 16km mod puts a heavier strain on your system

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 04:45 AM   #2545
mikaelanderlund
Captain

Downloads: 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
How good is 'very good' ? What card is it ? :hmm:

The 16km mod puts a heavier strain on your system
I have 8800 GTS 320mb
mikaelanderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 05:42 AM   #2546
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

Um, he's got you there Jim, that's good enough

what's the frequency of these artifacts? and do they occur at specific angles?

wish I had one of those... ya hear me Santa!
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 06:15 AM   #2547
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Anyone who is getting these 'black artifacts' or 'triangles', can you please post a screenshot. I have seen many people saying that they are getting them, mostly owners of a 8800 but I have not seen a decent picture or description.

While I can't offer any support about the 'artifacts' until I see what we are talking about, the black triangles on the horizon is a known issue with most of the 16km mods and is actually also present in the 8km mod but to a lesser amount. Normally, these are seen at high levels of zoom or when viewing an aircraft using the next view hotkey.
Old 12-18-07, 06:22 AM   #2548
Von Manteuffel
Commander

Downloads: 411

I don't have "black" hexagonal shapes, or triangles on the horizon. What I do have, after dark is grey shapes on the horizon which look like mountains. They are only a tiny shade darker than the sky - almost unnoticeable unless you look. At first I thought they could be distant icebergs. They're also there in binocular UZO and periscope views and scale-up accordingly. They don't bother me, or detract at all from the GWX2 experience. I'm just intrigued

I run twin NVidia 7500 GTX 512s in PCI configuration
Von Manteuffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 06:29 AM   #2549
Samwolf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Manteuffel
I don't have "black" hexagonal shapes, or triangles on the horizon. What I do have, after dark is grey shapes on the horizon which look like mountains. They are only a tiny shade darker than the sky - almost unnoticeable unless you look. At first I thought they could be distant icebergs. They're also there in binocular UZO and periscope views and scale-up accordingly. They don't bother me, or detract at all from the GWX2 experience. I'm just intrigued

I run twin NVidia 7500 GTX 512s in PCI configuration
I've gotten those too, I found that I can make them a lot less noticable if I adjust my monitors contrast.

GWX 3, JSGME 2.3, Sh3 Commander 3.2 SH3 Gen 8.1, Water Stream for U-boats, LRT LITE 2.0, Lifeboats for SH3

Samwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 07:52 AM   #2550
fredbass
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
Anyone who is getting these 'black artifacts' or 'triangles', can you please post a screenshot. I have seen many people saying that they are getting them, mostly owners of a 8800 but I have not seen a decent picture or description.

While I can't offer any support about the 'artifacts' until I see what we are talking about, the black triangles on the horizon is a known issue with most of the 16km mods and is actually also present in the 8km mod but to a lesser amount. Normally, these are seen at high levels of zoom or when viewing an aircraft using the next view hotkey.
I'll try to get you some screenshots tonight when I get home. I've upgraded video driver for my ATI x1900, which is a great card by the way and adjusted 3d settings but so far hasn't made a difference. And I really don't want to remove the 16km mod since it works so great otherwise, but I'll try tonight without it, temporarily, to see what happens.

Last edited by fredbass; 12-18-07 at 12:33 PM.
fredbass is offline   Reply With Quote