SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-11-10, 01:49 PM   #241
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryHarbey View Post
I'm far from being an expert and apologies if anything I've said is too obvious, just thought I'd share what advice I've taken and has worked for me.
A lot of this stuff is not obvious at all until experience gives you a reason to start asking about it and you find out what others know that you hadn't figured out yet. If the question's being asked, chances are the answer's not too obvious to merit a discussion.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 02:11 PM   #242
CherryHarbey
Engineer

Downloads: 86

had another thought whilst eating my tea....
Using SH3 Commander (which is a must have mod) I've changed the game's reaction to detecting any enemy ship, default I believe is bring down to TC8, I've changed to TC1, so if I do get surprised, my thinking time isn't at TC8.
CherryHarbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 02:24 PM   #243
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Never go above TC128 (for me at least) your survival chances no end and I take a lot from that.
Good decision Kaleun

That is the magic number with regard to aircraft spawnings....any higher and the odds are reduced greatly.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 02:32 PM   #244
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
had another thought whilst eating my tea....
Using SH3 Commander (which is a must have mod) I've changed the game's reaction to detecting any enemy ship, default I believe is bring down to TC8, I've changed to TC1, so if I do get surprised, my thinking time isn't at TC8.
I did the same thing. I want an immediate drop back to 1 TC if there's any enemy craft within visual range.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-11, 08:02 AM   #245
stokeyblokey
Sailor man

Downloads: 16

First off a great big thank you to Jim et al for the great tunes, slotted them into my Date/Sound/Gramaphone folders in SH3C and it works a treat

I have also found approx 2.3GB of radio broadcasts (starting in about 1932 but with tons for the war years) that I found really add great depth when mixed in with the music in the appropriate Date/Sound/Gramaphone folders so long as you match the date of broadcast (easy, the files are named by date first!) to the "date" of the SH3C folders.

In other words, don't just bung em any old where as then you hear about the Japanese surrender in October 1939 etc etc.

If anyone is interested in the war years ones let me know and I will prune through them and upload to filefront or similar

Stokey

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the broadcasts are mainly BBC and CBS but with some German, French and Italian reports as well.

2nd EDIT: Okay, for anyone interested, click the link in my sig for the files for 1939 and 1940 - I will do the rest if there is any interest

Last edited by stokeyblokey; 04-10-11 at 11:39 AM.
stokeyblokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-11, 03:35 PM   #246
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Post the links here as you get them done...I'm certainly interested

Old 04-10-11, 03:39 PM   #247
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokeyblokey View Post
If anyone is interested in the war years ones let me know and I will prune through them and upload to filefront or similar
Yes, please add me to the 'interested' list as well. Thank you!
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 02:45 AM   #248
stokeyblokey
Sailor man

Will do!

I have one question for you both (and anyone else interested) - would you prefer the original files as in my sig, or would you prefer me to split them and make the "date" folders with one in each ready to just drop into your SH3C C:\Program Files\SH3 Commander\Date folder?

It would be easier for you guys if I did that I am guessing but it involves joining those reports with the same date (or faking a day before/after if it is a quiet month and it doesn't matter historically) and then rar/7zip-ing them so would take a little while longer...

I will get on it tonight after work either way

EDIT: Woohoo, I made Seaman at last!

Old 04-11-11, 07:07 AM   #249
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
I have one question for you both (and anyone else interested) - would you prefer the original files as in my sig, or would you prefer me to split them and make the "date" folders with one in each ready to just drop into your SH3C C:\Program Files\SH3 Commander\Date folder?
That would be great...

Most people would probably use them in Commander format, so if you're willing to set them up that way, so much the better. For those wondering, I've already downloaded the first two and they're a really good collection.

Thanks again for sharing the files. I've been looking for a set like this for the last while and you've really saved me quite a bit of time and effort. Greatly appreciate it, and congrats on making the grade!
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 11:33 AM   #250
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

This is a good thing. Downloading now, and thanks for the work.

Quote:
We all grow up sometime.
Old 04-11-11, 12:23 PM   #251
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Will do!

It would be easier for you guys if I did that I am guessing but it involves joining those reports with the same date (or faking a day before/after if it is a quiet month and it doesn't matter historically) and then rar/7zip-ing them so would take a little while longer...

I will get on it tonight after work either way

Commander format would be best then people have the choice to take them out if they want plus it'll save me the bother of sorting them in Commander format because I'm a lazy bugga at times.

Old 04-11-11, 02:48 PM   #252
stokeyblokey
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
This is a good thing. Downloading now, and thanks for the work.

We all grow up sometime.
Well, we all grow greyer at any rate *points at self*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Commander format would be best ...because I'm a lazy bugga at times.

Yeah, I would be the same too so I started this morning before work and I will do the rest tonight and get them uploaded - will post links here when I am done. I toyed with the idea of trying to make a JSGME enabled mod but that would require more reading than I have time for at the moment

Old 04-11-11, 02:58 PM   #253
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Well, we all grow greyer at any rate *points at self*

Yeah, I would be the same too so I started this morning before work and I will do the rest tonight and get them uploaded - will post links here when I am done. I toyed with the idea of trying to make a JSGME enabled mod but that would require more reading than I have time for at the moment
JSGME mods are really quite simple to create...it is simply a case of getting the file heirarchy correct.

Click on my FF account (link above my sig) and download one of my small mods...All Weather Guns for example....you'll easily suss the format out believe me.

Old 04-11-11, 04:33 PM   #254
stokeyblokey
Sailor man

Hmmm, looks fairly straight forward like you said Jim - only thing is if I read it right it would require a separate JSGME installed in the SH3C program files folder in order to "mod" the dated folders into that program rather than into SH3 game folder.

For now I will keep it simple and just upload rar/7z files which can simply be unzipped straight into the SH3C date folder in their entirety until I get chance to play a bit more and work it out

Old 04-11-11, 04:50 PM   #255
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Whatever your the most comfortable with