SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-14-16, 10:54 AM   #2386
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I've just finished the v0.26 Beta download. I'll be looking into what's changed. But, I'll be honest.....if a version of the past files were working, yet a newer version is not.....why the new version? What are we gaining?
That's why I stopped, gave the mod to Jeff-Groves for error checking and we're on hold. We had some SH3 ships not converted properly. We had some ships using SH3 style TGA files instead of DDS. We had many name inconsistencies. Once that is fixed we'll proceed.

Jeff-Groves was given 0.26 to work on, with the freedom to revert to 0.25 if necessary. What he gives us will become 0.3 and we'll work from there.

In the meantime further experimentation is not out of line at all. Learning must continue to take place if we're to survive this monster!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-16, 11:09 AM   #2387
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Well, RR got it...

-------------------------------------

What do SH4 ships do when presented with a bit of a challenge in the Mission Editor?

Why, they improvise, of course!

Those two shots are what I was editing in FotRS Ultimate Betav0.26, but lest you think it's from there, here's a shot of the same group in SM02 Palawan Passage in the "Stock" SH4 v1.3

Even the same little curly-Q is there... The route over dry land is right after the Task Force's third Waypoint. These pix are from "Playing" the mission in the ME after tex-editing the ships to play properly...

Now, I have not ever played this SM through all the way to see if they do in fact drive across dry land, or if the collision avoidance would kick in (I imagine it would), but that's what I'm going to do now. This is NOT the only MIS file issue with something odd in it from Stock. That 3rd picture is from v1.3, so it's an ~old~ issue. I don't have my original install, but I'd practically bet that it's that way on the original disk I have...

Edit: I almost forgot to mention, that this mission is where your boat starts basically on the surface, and you're spotted right away, 3 DD come to try and kill you. I've added in new Waypoints for the Task Force, but does anyone want to vote for or against having their boat start the mission submerged? I will point this out, that if you get under right away, and go basically North, and deep, those three coming after you stay put trying to find you where you were. If you start submerged, those three stay on the close wing of the Taffee, on YOUR side of the formation, and will ~really~ pound you when you attack the big boys... Anybody?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 10-14-16 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Where to start the boat?
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-16, 12:32 PM   #2388
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
almost forgot to mention, that this mission is where your boat starts basically on the surface, and you're spotted right away, 3 DD come to try and kill you. I've added in new Waypoints for the Task Force, but does anyone want to vote for or against having their boat start the mission submerged? I will point this out, that if you get under right away, and go basically North, and deep, those three coming after you stay put trying to find you where you were. If you start submerged, those three stay on the close wing of the Taffee, on YOUR side of the formation, and will ~really~ pound you when you attack the big boys... Anybody?...
Who cares? What are three DDs among over a dozen. This is a situation that a real submarine would just report positions and not engage. 1 sub vs 3 DDs is daunting. 1 v 15 is plain and simple suicide with no possible payoff. No sensible sub commander would engage. Those that did would be court martialed if they survived.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 10-14-16 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-14-16, 03:10 PM   #2389
propbeanie

Ahhh, but this is one of those Single Mission thingies, where the skipper doesn't have to worry what the next fifteen minutes brings, so long as they make their Primary... tic Not only that, but the DD skippers aren't the brightest either in most of the "Stock" missions, for the most part. Most of these SM do "train" a person up wrong though in almost all operations of a fleet boat, but they can be fun.

I'm figuring on leaving it alone, as it was in the beginning, so it shall be, other than the crashing... There was one person mentioned that it'd be nice to start out submerged and not be seen, but 160 pages of posting @ 15 per, is not very much comment on SM02... 'Sides, it's easy enough to go in and change it in a text editor.

Old 10-16-16, 12:48 PM   #2390
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

If I might suggest something else, split your Beta versions into "modules". One module contains the interface, another the extra warships, another the extra merchants, another the extra airplanes, etc. Make a list and see how many modules you can/want to split the mod into.

This essentially would allow you not to have to donload/upload everything each time, but instead you would be repairing/debugging one module at a time. Each module has its own version number, and can thus easily be combined or reverted completely or partially to previous versions.

Old 10-16-16, 03:36 PM   #2391
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

That's an excellent idea Hitman, why didn't I think of that.
Old 10-19-16, 11:11 AM   #2392
propbeanie

There is an XLSX and an XLS file; same file, different formats; of most of the Ships in the FotRSU version of SH4. Find it on the Google Drive WIP / PropbeaneezStuffz / SeaDataFolders* files

I'm not sure if the free office type apps can open the xlsx files or not... Let me know if you need / want a csv or other type file.

Old 10-19-16, 12:26 PM   #2393
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Okay, it appears that Libre Office opens and writes xlsx files but Open Office doesn't yet. I don't know about separate file filters.

Microsoft made the xlsx and docx formats not to make any new features but to prevent interoperablility between different software and among different operating systems. It is a monopolistic power move by a company without the ability to carry it off.

The very reason the rest of the world uses open documents formats is that its purpose is to make it possible for people to work together regardless of the software they choose to use or even what operating system they choose to use.

Unless you're a Visual Basic for Applications wizard, there's no reason to use the Microsoft Office programs. I used Word 2003 until my Windows sytem crashed because of a botched update process. I switched to Open Office Write and the bulletin I publish weekly has gotten much easier to produce with better quality.
Old 10-19-16, 02:43 PM   #2394
propbeanie

I've got Office 2010 because my ex-employer gave it to us through an employee incentive program, else I wouldn't mess with it at all. I had Office 97 and liked it. This "Toolbar-Ribbon" thingie in 2010 is weird. Can't find anything in the app anymore - but... free is free

What works best then? I can export CSV, Tab delimited, ODS (Open Doc Spreadsheet), DIF (Data Interchange Format) or PDF. I'm not sure of the capabilities / limitations of anything other than CSV & TD...

Old 10-19-16, 04:14 PM   #2395
AOTD_MadMax
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 1

Hello Captains,

wow, i say wow, iam really impressed about the work you doing here on FOTRS.

It will take a long time for me to read all contents in this thread, cause i was along time busted in my real life and i didnt got enough time to follow this step by step .
It makes me happy to see that this community is so strong.
If you need some help i will help you in the kind iam able to help.
After i released V2.0 for SH4V1.3 i did some overhouls in several ships wich i never released.
Most things ive done on this ships are 3D modelling things to make this vessels loking greater and better.
I will upload this ships soon as possible for you so you can implement this ships if you want.

Regards

Maddy

Last edited by AOTD_MadMax; 10-19-16 at 06:50 PM.
AOTD_MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-16, 04:31 PM   #2396
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Thank you Maddy, that would be incredible. I've always loved FOTRS and it just never got the love and attention at Subsim I thought it deserved. Then I ran into FOTRS 1.5 with the incredible sounds and ships.

Since Subsim people don't care much about multiplayer, it became our mission to bring the magnificense of FOTRS 1.5 to SH4UBM. In addition we are going to introduce certified plugin mods that will allow the player to change enemy AI, recognition manuals, add shipping, choose keyboard layouts and plotting systems.

Right now we're working on the core mod, which is basically the best of Maddy with the AI reworked to work with single player. You had it cranked up to super difficult and we want it about the level of TMO 2.5 to start with. Later the players will be able to modify that with our plugins.

I'm honored that you're interested in our work and it's our goal to make FOTRS Ultimate the go-to default mod for SH4 and finally get you the recognition for what you've done with the game.
Old 10-19-16, 05:07 PM   #2397
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTD_MadMax View Post
Hello Captains,

wow, i say wow, iam really impressed about the work you doing here on FOTRS.

It will take a long time for me to read all contents in this thread, cause i was along time busted in my real life and i didnt got enough time to follow this step by step .
It makes me happy to see that this community is so strong.
If you need some help i will help you in the kind iam ablke to help.
After i released V2.0 for SH4V1.3 i did some overhouls in several ships wich i never released.
Most things ive done on this ships are 3D modelling things to make this vessels loking greater and better.
I will upload this ships soon as possible for you so you can implement this ships if you want.

Regards

Maddy
Hello Maddy

I'm wondering if you might be able to shed some light on a problem that keeps cropping up the FOTRS mis files. It has to do with the mass spawning of the Akizuki destroyer and the tremendous lag that occurs with the game after you encounter them. Was this something you where ever able to get a handle on and find out what was causing this problem?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-16, 05:28 PM   #2398
AOTD_MadMax
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Hello Maddy

I'm wondering if you might be able to shed some light on a problem that keeps cropping up the FOTRS mis files. It has to do with the mass spawning of the Akizuki destroyer and the tremendous lag that occurs with the game after you encounter them. Was this something you where ever able to get a handle on and find out what was causing this problem?
This is a problem of V1.3 isnt it ? Thats your core for Ultimate ? Iam on page 20 in reading and translating my english you know isnt the best.
So my knowledge is not synchronized to the actual state of your work.
Gimmi some time to think about it, am nearly 2 years out of SH4 and FOTRS-modding.

In V2.0 ive located these problems by writing on a shed the area where these spawns occours.
Then i looked into the files.
It should be the respawntime of an small group or an lonely DD and perhaps the outspawn is missed so this unit becomes more and more and more on the latest waypoint.

Regards
Maddy
Old 10-19-16, 05:42 PM   #2399
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTD_MadMax View Post
This is a problem of V1.3 isnt it ? Thats your core for Ultimate ? Iam on page 20 in reading and translating my english you know isnt the best.
So my knowledge is not synchronized to the actual state of your work.
Gimmi some time to think about it, am nearly 2 years out of SH4 and FOTRS-modding.

In V2.0 ive located these problems by writing on a shed the area where these spawns occours.
Then i looked into the files.
It should be the respawntime of an small group or an lonely DD and perhaps the outspawn is missed so this unit becomes more and more and more on the latest waypoint.

Regards
Maddy
By all means, Maddy. Take all the time you need, and if and when your able to figure something out and let us know that would be terrific.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-16, 05:51 PM   #2400
AOTD_MadMax
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
By all means, Maddy. Take all the time you need, and if and when your able to figure something out and let us know that would be terrific.
Where can i get the informations in which area this DD shoot you all to hell ?
It must be located exactly to figure out which group ore single unit got the problem.
Year,time, location.
It must be a problem of a group ore a single unit.

I have to install your current version and then i must analyse all groups in this area for the year in which this spam happend.
Crazy stupid work but the only chance to get it.

Regards
Maddy