SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-29-11, 11:51 AM   #226
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 303
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Geoff View Post
I hae just installed SHIII on a windows 7 Ultimate system, I get the start up sequence and then it all goes black. Windows then pops up the message that the program cannot start.

I have tried running in XP mode (which works on my laptop OK). to no avail.

Any help please.
XP Mode is something different than setting compatibility mode to XP SP1,2,3 level in the properties of the .exe or shortcut.

XP Mode is a form of virtualization. Basically simulating a computer with XP on it, inside your computer. This isn't suited to playing games since they require better performance than can be delivered. Though some old games might be able to make do.

Setting the compatibility mode to XP SP-something on the Compatibility tab of the file-properties isn't required. Atleast, I never had to for this game.

Things SH3 and Win7 do not get along in are:

1: Win 7 doesn't like it when files are modified in the Program Files folder. (Same goes for Vista) Which is where the default install get's located. It's a form of malware prevention by Micro$oft, but for games this is often very annoying. This is important when you get to (installing) mods, or even when making a screenshot. But this doesn't apply in your case now (trying to start the game for the first time). Anyway, the solution is to assign a different folder somewhere else on your harddrive, like: c:\Games\SH3. No fuss with UAC anymore. Only required to authenticate when installing or doing a patch, or for example the GWX Setup. Not for playing.

2: The older releases of the game came with Starforce copy protection. Ever since 1.4 this has been removed I think. If you have one of the older releases then the Starforce code isn't compatible with Win7. I can't remember what the propper solution is in this case. Never got this myself. Easiest would be to buy a modern release that has v1.4 on the dvd. I believe this problem also came with a distinct warning about older Windows OS versions, which you did not mention. So I also think this doesn't apply here.

3: This is your problem, my bet. SH3 is built with resolution 1024x768 in mind. The stock version doesn't handle modern higher resolutions. Especially in combination with Win7, and/or widescreen resolutions, the game blocks on this. It cannot set the propper resolution and crashes or hangs. A solution to this is manually set your desktop resolution to 1024x768 temporarily. See if your videocard settings allow you to set a lower resolution for the game and automatically scale up the image (while maintaining 4:3 aspect ratio). My Nvidia 9600M GT allow this. (NVidia Control Panel/Display/Adjust Desktop Size and Position)

There are or is a widescreen/hires fix for SH3. I don't know exactly what the name is, or can provide a link. But FK usually comes with these answers so she should know more. But I'm sure a search on it would make you succesfull also. It's probably in the download section somewhere.
Old 11-29-11, 12:00 PM   #227
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
3: This is your problem, my bet. SH3 is built with resolution 1024x768 in mind. The stock version doesn't handle modern higher resolutions. Especially in combination with Win7, and/or widescreen resolutions, the game blocks on this. It cannot set the propper resolution and crashes or hangs. A solution to this is manually set your desktop resolution to 1024x768 temporarily. See if your videocard settings allow you to set a lower resolution for the game and automatically scale up the image (while maintaining 4:3 aspect ratio). My Nvidia 9600M GT allow this. (NVidia Control Panel/Display/Adjust Desktop Size and Position)

[Edit:] I see you have an ATI device. Sorry, don't know how to set this on them.

There are or is a widescreen/hires fix for SH3. I don't know exactly what the name is, or can provide a link. But FK usually comes with these answers so she should know more. But I'm sure a search on it would make you succesfull also. It's probably in the download section somewhere.
I've never played SH3 with anything but an ATI card - never had the game freeze up and go to black on loadup, on XP or Win7. Never had to temporarily change my desktop resolution either just to get it to start properly, altho I did a whole lot of tweaking in that area when I was using the Res Fix... that was mostly so it would not rescale to WS format and stretch out the 2D graphics, and also in an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to resolve the screenshot/CTD issue with the mod. Which I only encountered in Win7, but not in XP.

But yes the Res Fix is available here in Subsim Downloads if you search for it. AFAIK the issue with it causing CTD when screenshots are taken has never been resolved, but your mileage may vary... not everyone seems to have a problem with it.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 12:17 PM   #228
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I've never played SH3 with anything but an ATI card - ...
I realised that ATI reference in my post was wrongly adressed: Barney=/=Big-Geoff. Hence I removed it but you replied before that.
Old 12-06-11, 08:45 AM   #229
Marinenachrichtendienst
Captain

Downloads: 259
Default SH3 not working in Windows 7

Hi,

Some years ago I use to play my SH3 in XP system, but in Jan. 2011 I installed SH5 on my new PC operating with Windows 7, which works 100%.

Some minutes ago install my SH3 on the same PC, and after installing it, I tried to start up.

Then a box appears on my screen saying : "Error" with the opportunity to hit either "Information" or "ok". I hit "Information", when finished,it listet up a huge list of things that I can't tell what is.

A smaller text in the bottom of the box says:

"This applicatin cn be launched with a relaease version of Microsoft Windows 95 OSR2. 1/98ME/NT 4.0/2000/XP/ Server 2003 only".

Others say that they play their SH3 with Windows 7.

Can somene help me , please ??

Marinenachrichtendienst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 09:17 AM   #230
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Do you have an older copy of the game with Starforce on it? Starforce and Windows 7 do not play well together. There are instructions here in the forum for getting around Starforce, but given how inexpensive new copies of the game are (and they do not include Starforce), some people just decide to get a newer copy.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 09:33 AM   #231
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

As fk rightly states, W7 and SF do not like each other.

I purchased a newer SH3 disc when I switvhed over to the W7 OS particularly for that and my installation is running fine.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 10:13 AM   #232
Marinenachrichtendienst
Captain

Well, I think I bought my SH3 in 2006, but I cannot locate any icons or files aclled "Stargate" on it. My version of the game is the "Collector's Edition", but I assume that doesent change anything.

I could show you the full error report, but I'm not sure if that's clever, regarding any personal details that shouldnt be shared, maybe ??

So it anyway seems that that darn Stargate" must be in it somewhere??

Old 12-06-11, 10:58 AM   #233
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinenachrichtendienst View Post
"Stargate"
Possibly because it's called "StarForce". I'm pretty sure that it wasn't removed until the versions released in 2008.
Old 12-06-11, 01:33 PM   #234
Marinenachrichtendienst
Captain

Default That darn Starforce

Well, I can order another SH3, but how can I be sure that I get the correct version from 2008 ??

PS! In 2006 I bought the Collector's Edition of SH3, but if i buy and install the ordinary version, would I loose something from the first DVD that could be of use ??

Or as someone says, are there any ways to go around that "Star Wars"- thing ??

Old 12-06-11, 01:43 PM   #235
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Look for this version on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Hunte.../dp/B000FUCGDY

Go via the SubSim link and Neal will receive a small fee at no additional cost to you.

Old 12-06-11, 04:31 PM   #236
Marinenachrichtendienst
Captain

Old 12-06-11, 04:35 PM   #237
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Your welcome

Old 12-13-11, 08:29 PM   #238
Slayer
Nub

Downloads: 45

Windows 7 working fine
Old 12-15-11, 05:25 PM   #239
Lord_Kitchener
A-ganger

Downloads: 368

I just got a new pc with windows 7 professional, SH3 runs fine. I have GWX and the 4 GB patch, the only problem is...Conus Widescreen mod will not work. It is the only mod I have installed. Anyone heard of this?
Lord_Kitchener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-11, 06:31 PM   #240
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

@ Marinenachrichtendienst: Once you have completely removed everything related to Silent Hunter III, including the SH3 folders in My Documents, go to the Start menu and do a search for Starforce. You'll find files in your registry that will stay there until you remove them. Delete anything with that name in it.